Car Totaled Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010 | 08:02 PM
abacon

Car Totaled Today

So driving back from church today, my car got totaled. This lady coming on an onramp thought it would be a good idea to make a u-turn through the median. I, who was in the left lane to allow her to merge, had no time avoid after she made her dumb decision and plowed right into her. I hit the brakes hard, but i essentially t-boned the drivers side front of her car and we both drifted onto the median strip. My airbag deployed, the passenger side front end crumpled into the front axle probably bending it. I went to the hospital to get checked out in part because of what I have read on this forum many times. I am ok, just some tense muscles in my upper back.

Anyways to make the situation that much better, this lady - who had a baby in the car at the time, he was ok - has no car insurance! So here I am left with my own insurance. They are going to help take care of the car but I still have to pay my 500 dollar deductible. I was also supposed to start military flight training on tuesday. That's now getting delayed at least till next week. I think I will talk to the lawyers about getting my deductible money from her.

So, as much as i absolutely loved my car, I think it is time to move on and get a new car once it is officially totaled. The TL did its job well and protected me in a crash. I am not a fan of the new TLs so I think I will look else where. Any recommendations. I have to stick to a similar price as the TL was. Also, I am going to the wrecker yard on tuesday to get my stuff out. I am going to take my all weather floor mats, trunk mat, navigation dvds, and peripheral unit out of the car. If I end up getting a new car these items will likely be up for sale, let me know if you might be interested.

I appreciate all the advice and ideas I get off of this forum. Thanks to you all.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:08 PM
Safety Car

damn another TL down. AT least your okay.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:10 PM
Pro

NOOO it seems all the TL's are going away. Anyways glad to know you are doing good and knowing if ever like this was to happen to me i would be alright. You never know what DA is out there around you at anytime but anyways is the peripheral unit for making the steering wheel controls work and integrate with the navi with the ipod?? if so i got dibs and have money in hand let me know whats up
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:25 PM
Racer

With a baby in the car?? What a f****** moron. It amazes me how some of these people drive. At least noones hurt.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:27 PM
TL = True Love

wtf is going on, whats up with the Tls getting totaled. This world must be coming to an end. sorry for your loss.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny_b
With a baby in the car?? What a f****** moron. It amazes me how some of these people drive. At least noones hurt.
I bet she had a "BABY ON BOARD" sign in her car too....
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:34 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Damn, sorry about your loss dude. The best part of it is that you walked away fine. I know how you feel because I was in a similar position a few weeks ago and that's how I ended up getting my TL. I hope you will enjoy whatever car you get next.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:35 PM
Area on my XM

Awwww shit... It was a kinetic blue TL, too. Glad you're alright.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLDude876
Damn, sorry about your loss dude. The best part of it is that you walked away fine. I know how you feel because I was in a similar position a few weeks ago and that's how I ended up getting my TL. I hope you will enjoy whatever car you get next.
person loses a TL and another person gains one.. circle of acurazine i guess
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:41 PM
Racer

At least your ok. The car and can be replaced. I'm intrested in the trunk mat. Shipped to 14085, if your selling it let me know how much.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:51 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by mcmguti
wtf is going on, whats up with the Tls getting totaled. This world must be coming to an end. sorry for your loss.
i though that was not untill 2012? j/k

on another note at least your ok.
can you take other stuff of the car? like rear tag holder? if so take it off and sell it to me.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:53 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Last thing on his mind right now is probably parting out the car or else he would post a thread for it.

Going new on the car for sure?
I don't know what your pricerange is...
But a used E46 BMW M3
Subaru STi
Maybe find another used Type S?

Good luck and glad you're ok man!
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:55 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to hear that another TL driver got out a crash in one piece. I hope you find your way back to the Acura family some point down the line.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:55 PM
Racer

Oh....if you have a coin holder that's in the center counsel I'm interested.
Old 01-17-2010 | 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

fuck that shit start takin the bus that way u dont get into another accident unless ur bus driver is on crack.......ass crack
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:01 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Last thing on his mind right now is probably parting out the car or else he would post a thread for it.

Going new on the car for sure?
I don't know what your pricerange is...
But a used E46 BMW M3
Subaru STi
Maybe find another used Type S?

Good luck and glad you're ok man!
if you would of read his whole post he said he was going to the yard to get weather mat and other suff out the car and if he gets another car he would sell those. i just thought i put in a request not trying to be an ass but, any way we showed our support and have post something about showing our sympathy as well.

Last edited by acura_dipset_tl; 01-17-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:13 PM
abacon

Thanks for all of your comments. I get to start the new car hunt now. I'll give a used type-s a look but I am not sure if I will get it or not. If I don't I'm up for getting rid of as much as I can. I'll let you all know when the time comes, probably later this week. I appreciate all the dumb a** driver comments. Makes me laugh. Thats why I like this forum.
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:13 PM
MJ3
Intermediate

It's been a couple of months since my TL got totaled, and I still feel tightness on my back. Don't hesitate to see your doctor if you feel any discomfort that might have been related to the accident.

I thought about a MB C350 and a BMW 3series as replacement, but I ended up buying another TL (Type S this time). I think you get the most bang for the buck with the TL-S, compared with the C-class or the 3-series.
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:37 PM
Drifting

Well as everyone else said, glad you're ok.

But on a serious note, the vehicle who got t-boned, if she got the ticket should be at fault, resulting in the underinsured/uninsured motorist insurance policy coming into play, resulting in you to not pay a deductible. The driver will be charged with driving a vehicle with no insurance, and the state will begin prosecution as it is against the law to drive a vehicle without insurance.

You should not have to pay out of pocket for anything, unless you only had liability, which in result you will have to pay for everything, and that doesnt seem like the case...

talk to your insurance company in regards to the deductible, unless you were placed at fault.

good reason to carry a disposable camera in the glove compartment for situations like this, and dont take picture of just your car but, the other vehicle and the position of the vehicles in proportion to the location with both vehicles in the images...
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:43 PM
abacon

Well the lady got two citations for "improper lane change" and "No proof of insurance." When I spoke to my insurance company they said I would still have to pay a deductible. I was not at fault at all in this accident, fortunately. But I will talk to them again about the deductible thing. Thanks
Old 01-17-2010 | 09:45 PM
Racer

Not knowing the details on the damage. Have you considered purchasing the car back and fixing it? FYI I've totaled my motorcycle four times and purchased it back from the insurance company every time and fixed it better then before it was totaled. If your never going to sell it you don't have it inspeced to have the title marked as a salvaged which is what I have done. I've owned my bike since it was new and never plan on selling it ....cause I like it so much and know every detail about it.
Old 01-17-2010 | 10:22 PM
abacon

I am not sure how cost effective it would be to rebuild the car. The front right crumpled into the axel and the airbag deployed. I didn't get any pictures on sight because the ambulance got there pretty quick and I went to the hospital to get checked out. I'll post some pictures on tuesday after i go to the wrecker yard to get my stuff.
Old 01-17-2010 | 10:24 PM
Respect Freedom

Advice based upon personal experience is to find a good chiropractor and see him/her tomorrow - exrays are a must. I walked away from an accident thinking that I was just bruised and sore, only to find that my neck/spine was permanently torqued to one side - the screaming pain didn't commence for a few weeks after the accident, set off by something as simple as a sneeze.

Get well first, and know that in the bigger picture (flight training as in military?) you are appreciated.

As for parting the car out, see the 3G forum for the phenom in Virginia who builds awesome motors - he may be interested in yours. If the exhaust and rear bumper cover are undamaged, then there are members like me who'd consider them as an upgrade to the stock non-type S setup.
Old 01-17-2010 | 10:37 PM
Drifting

wow glad ur ok..

hate bad drivers.. ESPECIALLY with no insurance AND A BABY IN THE CAR! what an idiot!
Old 01-17-2010 | 10:50 PM
Under construction

Seriously what's going on with all these TLs being involved in accidents! OP glad your okay and I would try to get that $500 from the lady. No reason you should fork over cash if your not even at fault!
Old 01-17-2010 | 10:51 PM
Safety Car

Say what?! Man, and she had a baby huh? Makes you wonder...
Another TL down, but at least you're okay, right? Sucks that you'll be leaving us man! Seems like everyone's disappearing these days.

I've been in the market (for like a year now -_-) and just to throw you some suggestions...

I looked at the 2010 Audi A4 S-Line. It's priced around $44,800; comes well equipped; but $900 and you get the driver's assist and back up camera (was disappointed that it didn't come with it already with that kind of price tag - but they're apparently REALLY rare, unless ordered right from the factory; lose your bargaining tool though, so you're stuck with full msrp). Took a spin in it a few weeks back - thing has CRAZY torque from around 1800 to ~4000 rpms. After that though...you start second guessing as to whether your foot's all the way down. The quattro's REALLY nice too. Thing hauls off the line. Another though - the G37. Yeah it's a nice car, but thought for the money and the hp it was rated at it'd be faster than the 335i. It isn't, from which ever way you take it - off the line, roll. BMW 335i - thing's DARN expensive. It's quick though! Plus you have the option of Dinan packages (forgot you have Stasis with Audi - like BMW's Dinan tuning package, like Comptech with Acura...sort of). Car's expensive unfortunately; with all the goodies, you're looking at almost 60k sticker! However, I've seen then as low as 38k. Interior's germain (is that a word?) and seems a little less friendly, than say the TL). IS350 - comes well equipped with lots standard. But I'm 6"1 and I couldn't fit comfortably. The 370Z...rough and a two seater (high insurance for me). Whatcha think abacon? Wish you the best man...!!! LAWYER UP FOR SURE!!!
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:16 PM
Race Director

wow, glad you're ok
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:40 PM
Phmbm12

get a lexus
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:45 PM
Racer

dude go get everything that has not been wrecked, youd be surprised at how much money you can make off a cupholder, or a seatbelt or something like that, some of my friends have made several hundred just taking random bits and pieces of totalled cars from the junkyard

if i didnt have a TL, i would definitely go for a IS or G35
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:56 PM
RAR

I would consider in this order:

New V6 TSX
Used RL
Used TL-S

These cars are showing fairly consistantly that they are some of the safest vehicles on the road.
Old 01-17-2010 | 11:57 PM
Former Whiner

G35 s
Old 01-18-2010 | 12:33 AM
Pro

Darn, glad your ok. That is another strike against organized religion. IS look cool but judge for yourself. RL's are awesome. I would go for a Cadi, if you can afford it.
Old 01-18-2010 | 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
if you would of read his whole post he said he was going to the yard to get weather mat and other suff out the car and if he gets another car he would sell those. i just thought i put in a request not trying to be an ass but, any way we showed our support and have post something about showing our sympathy as well.
You're right...many apologies.

How about the Accord Crosstour. I like a BMW X6 in Honda Form for half the cost!
Old 01-18-2010 | 09:06 AM
abacon

Well I'm off to start new car hunting today. The cars you all recommended were ones I was likely going to look at. I am in military flight training so on tuesday I have to go see the flight surgeon and from there I can get the car I need. I do have military health insurance so as far as I understand, if theres anything wrong with me I can get help for no cost.
I do have a question as to the totaled car that someone might be able to answer. Assuming the car is indeed totaled, they haven't "officially" declared it, the insurance company will give me the going market price for the car. What exactly happens with the old car. If its not too expensive to get it back from the insurance company, it sounds like I could get a lot of parts off it and make some money potentially. Whats the deal with this?
Thanks
Old 01-18-2010 | 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry about your accident and glad you're ok. Not to be a spoil-sport but the value of a late-model TL-S like yours is pretty high. Are you sure they are going to total it? I would think the repair costs would have to be in excess of 25k for them to do so. OTOH, even if they fixed it I'd probably sell/trade it anyway if it were mine. Let us know what happens.
Old 01-18-2010 | 10:05 AM
abacon

I described the accident to the claim agent and she said it sounded like it was totaled. I will really push for it to be. I am really particular about my car and with it crumpling into the front axel I don't think the car will ever be returned to pre-loss condition. Never mind that the resale value will suck and my car warranty is probably useless. I think the best thing to do here is get the car officially totaled and walk away from it, except for the few items I'm going to be collecting.
Old 01-18-2010 | 10:10 AM

When I totalled my Si (EP3 2004 one)...it was borderline...the car was worth like 12 and the repairs exceeded 8K. My insurance was really good though and the guy asked me if I'd want it fixed or totalled since it was borderline...I said PLEASE TOTAL it.
Funny thing...I was upside down on it and only had a $100 deductible...but I had GAP insurance that covered the 6K I was upside down on the car from my previous trade. I told the insurance guy I had just bought new tires if I could keep my old ones...he said as long as the car rolled, he didn't care. So I went to a junkyard and bought 4 doughnuts and kept the rims and pretty much anything else I wanted off of the car. The guy from the towing company that came to pick up the car was less than pleased but my insurance guy was the one that made the call. Anyway...me, personally, I wouldn't want a car that I strip down and have to deal with the shell of sitting in my driveway/garage. Consider yourself lucky you're ok and free from the debt of the car and now...how exciting...car shopping.

Take care man,
J.
Old 01-18-2010 | 10:13 AM
Respect Freedom

If the insurance company totals it, it will pay you the book value + the price that a salvager pays the insurance company for what's left. I went through this is 2009 with my first TL. So here's the drill:
1- Remove everything that you can from the vehicle ASAP. Coordinate this with your insurance company (mine allowed me to remove aftermarket items like the ASpec wheels & tires) as they tend to be reasonable. So, replace your wheels & tires with any stock cheap wheels & worn out tires that you can find.

2- Insist that the salvage bidders/wholesale buyers inspect that car where it sits - before you relinquish it to the insurance company's possession. Tell the insurance company that you may want to keep the car for salvage depending upon the bids received. Example, if someone bids $2k, you may want to keep the car and part it out. However, if someone bids $15k, then you may opt to take the money and be done with it.

If you have USAA insurance, you are in good shape - they have been terrific with me. If you don't, you should get it, you're eligible as active duty military.

As for the doctors, flight surgeons are typically good guys, but neck and spine injuries/misalignments are not their forte. Look for a chiropractor that is a graduate of Palmer College of Chiropractic - it's the equivalent credential of a Harvard MBA.

As for the other driver: insured or not, she's liable - sue her. That's what attorneys are for.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2010 | 01:32 PM
Pro

I know your care is free but I would strongly suggest that you get checked out by a Doc outside of the military. I know they are good at saving lives but you also need a real experts opinion in case the Mil doc missed something and you pay for it later. This happened to my fiance. She was misdiagnosed which led to her leaving the Marines after 4 years. Bottom line is that she didn't get proper care.
Old 01-18-2010 | 01:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Sorry to hear. I hope everything turns out ok, especially your health.

Quick Reply: Car Totaled Today