Car is at the shop!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008 | 05:47 PM
Instructor

Car is at the shop!

Getting the following addressed:

1. 3rd gear problems. Explained the problem. Gave them the TSB. Showed them I brought it in for this the first time 6 months before the TSB came out. We'll see what they do.

2. Clicky clutch. Not sure if it is the master cylinder fix or not? Had this in before and they said it was normal. No way should a $35k+ car make a loud enough click for your passenger to say, "what is that?".

3. Squeak at the top of the drivers door. Gave them the tech notes for this too. We'll see what happens.

4. Rear bumper. Upon delivery of the car, they put a new bumper on because the one that was on the car was chipped (found when paper was taken off). Ever since then, it never fit right.

5. Fade to right. Long story, but car would fade to the left. With rotating and flipping wheels/tires, and finding a bad tire (manuf. defect), they got it tracking straight. After first rotation of tires, it would pull to the right. Had them unrotate. Told them this time to rotate the tires and see the fade and figure out why.

Will let you know how I make out!

PS: Got an '07 or '08 base model with nav. Ruling is TL-S > base model by far. It is a snoozer to drive.
Old 08-20-2008 | 07:29 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your TL. Hope they all get fixed to your satisfaction.
Old 08-20-2008 | 07:30 PM
iScrape going into

Damn bro, that sucks. But hey hopefully they fix everything correctly.
Old 08-20-2008 | 08:06 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

That's a pretty long list, hopefully they can address all of them.
Old 08-21-2008 | 05:03 PM
Instructor

Been 24 hrs since I dropped the car off and not a peep from the dealer.

I also need to mention the rubber gasket thingy behind the grille in the front is coming out. It is at the very top center where it is coming out. Maybe that is something to save for if/when I do hear from them.

More loaner reviews: It is an '08. I do not like the ivory interior. Seems very "rental car-ish". The black/silver is uber sexy. The red interior lights of the TL-S are much better than the blue. The blue seems disconnected. If everything was the same blue as the rings around the gauges, then it'd be ok, but it is a whiteish color (like my friends old '92 Hyundai Excel.
Old 08-21-2008 | 06:04 PM
Instructor

Just heard back. They are ordering parts for the transmission. Hopefully stuff goes well. Parts will arrive on Monday probably, then need to repair from that point. Still diagnosing other stuff..... Did mention the rubber gasket thingy behind the grille that was coming out.
Old 08-26-2008 | 07:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRP Pete

1. 3rd gear problems. Explained the problem. Gave them the TSB. Showed them I brought it in for this the first time 6 months before the TSB came out. We'll see what they do.

2. Clicky clutch. Not sure if it is the master cylinder fix or not? Had this in before and they said it was normal. No way should a $35k+ car make a loud enough click for your passenger to say, "what is that?".

3. Squeak at the top of the drivers door. Gave them the tech notes for this too. We'll see what happens.

4. Rear bumper. Upon delivery of the car, they put a new bumper on because the one that was on the car was chipped (found when paper was taken off). Ever since then, it never fit right.

5. Fade to right. Long story, but car would fade to the left. With rotating and flipping wheels/tires, and finding a bad tire (manuf. defect), they got it tracking straight. After first rotation of tires, it would pull to the right. Had them unrotate. Told them this time to rotate the tires and see the fade and figure out why.

Will let you know how I make out!

PS: Got an '07 or '08 base model with nav. Ruling is TL-S > base model by far. It is a snoozer to drive.
Picked it up this morning. Here are the results so far:

1. 3rd gear problem seems fixed. Not sure how they did it so fast. They have it listed on the invoice as "Manual transmission - overhaul" with parts of Gear Set and Pick Up Assembly.

2. Clicky clutch still clicks. They have it listed that they changed the master cylinder. May do the WD-40 thing on the whatchamahooie that makes the click or something that doesn't stink.

3. Drivers door squeak still seems to squeak. Need to test on the normal roads I drive on.

4. Rear bumper fits better.

5. The car tracks straight both when coasting and under light acceleration. They state they rotated the tires and it still tracks straight. This we will not know until they rotate them again. Good news is, they cleaned my rims.

So the biggie hugest one which is the 3rd gear problem seems better. It actually feels like a whole new car. Will continue to give thoughts on the items as opinions develop.

Good to be back in my own cah though. The Black/Ivory interior seems bigger than the Black/Silver, but the Black/Silver is 10000x sexier. Also noticed the automatic TL has a ton more torque steer than the 6MT TL-S.
Old 08-26-2008 | 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Sounds like you got most of your issues settled..........at least the major ones. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2008 | 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Picked it up this morning. Here are the results so far:

1. 3rd gear problem seems fixed. Not sure how they did it so fast. They have it listed on the invoice as "Manual transmission - overhaul" with parts of Gear Set and Pick Up Assembly.

2. Clicky clutch still clicks. They have it listed that they changed the master cylinder. May do the WD-40 thing on the whatchamahooie that makes the click or something that doesn't stink.

3. Drivers door squeak still seems to squeak. Need to test on the normal roads I drive on.

4. Rear bumper fits better.

5. The car tracks straight both when coasting and under light acceleration. They state they rotated the tires and it still tracks straight. This we will not know until they rotate them again. Good news is, they cleaned my rims.

So the biggie hugest one which is the 3rd gear problem seems better. It actually feels like a whole new car. Will continue to give thoughts on the items as opinions develop.

Good to be back in my own cah though. The Black/Ivory interior seems bigger than the Black/Silver, but the Black/Silver is 10000x sexier. Also noticed the automatic TL has a ton more torque steer than the 6MT TL-S.

mine car had master cluch cylinder repalced at 28k miles; however, I still have the 3rd gear problem and dealer can not replicate the issue. I have the new/improved MTF but that did not do anything. Could you please find out what was done to fix the problem, and perhaps what part numbers where used? This should help many people on this forum who got the same problems with 3rd gear and honda is refusing to fix them. Thank you
Old 09-07-2008 | 06:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mlody
mine car had master cluch cylinder repalced at 28k miles; however, I still have the 3rd gear problem and dealer can not replicate the issue. I have the new/improved MTF but that did not do anything. Could you please find out what was done to fix the problem, and perhaps what part numbers where used? This should help many people on this forum who got the same problems with 3rd gear and honda is refusing to fix them. Thank you
I handed the service rep the TSB document and left the car overnight for them to try in the morning. When I drove from work and had them test it right away, it was fine. 3rd gear is at its worst first thing in the morning, so they had the cah in their posession at that time. They duplicated it and seem to have fixed it. Service repair sheet does not show part numbers, only a "transmission overhaul" or something like that. They did it in record time, so I am not sure if they just did the fluid and pretended to do the overhaul? I don't know. Either way, it is shifting wicked pissa.

My suggestion is to bring it up to them each time you are there. Hell, make a service trip especially for it. Each time you complain, it is good evidence on your side for if/when it gets really bad post-warranty (if it gets that far). You can go back and show all the records of trying to get them to fix it. Luckily with mine, I first brought it up at 4k miles (a few months before the TSB came out). Good to do it then because what good would getting a tranny overhaul do at 4k miles. If it was 60k, then you could be prying to get new stuff. You face more risk getting everything taken apart when new to get fixed. I am rambling cuz I'm a wee buzzed. You know what I mean..... Just be persistant.
Old 09-07-2008 | 08:11 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

did you have to pay anything for the 3rd gear TSB?
In Canada.. they don't really know about it even though I keep telling them about it.
I'm going to try other locations too... but don't know what the fees are if there any
Old 09-08-2008 | 06:48 AM
Blanka

Both of these issues plague my TL!

I recently took my car in for the power steering recall. I'd gotten the letter a week before I literally started smelling funny burning smell emanating from the engine bay when I'd park the car in the garage. (close call)

I brought up the 3rd gear issue for the upteenth time, this time I mentioned the TSB. Next time I'll print the TSB out because they could not replicate it & didnt do jack sh!t about it!

The clicky clutch! OMG...I mentioned this & when I picked the car back up they said they lubricated the clutch springs? eh...evidently it didnt work cause it still clicks! What was the fix you got for this?

Thanks...
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mamitaxchula

I recently took my car in for the power steering recall. I'd gotten the letter a week before I literally started smelling funny burning smell emanating from the engine bay when I'd park the car in the garage. (close call)

I brought up the 3rd gear issue for the upteenth time, this time I mentioned the TSB. Next time I'll print the TSB out because they could not replicate it & didnt do jack sh!t about it!

The clicky clutch! OMG...I mentioned this & when I picked the car back up they said they lubricated the clutch springs? eh...evidently it didnt work cause it still clicks! What was the fix you got for this?

Thanks...
Master Cluth Cylinder (or slave cylinder as some call it) was replaced and the car feels like brand new (except the damn 3rd gear!!!)
Old 09-08-2008 | 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mamitaxchula

Thanks...
Definitely print out the TSB. They will play dumb when you give it to them. I told them it was printed off of something.honda.com.....they still played dumb.

The clicky clutch still clicks, even after apparent clutch master cylinder replacement. I will need to get a video of what I am experiencing to see if it is the same as others, or if it is normal.
Old 09-08-2008 | 02:49 PM
Blanka

Thanks to both OP & mlody!

I wish the clicking had even been resolved for < 5 minutes!

Soon as I pulled away from the stealership the problem resurfaced! eh...maybe next time I go in for service (which is becoming less & less) I'll have em look at it AGAIN.