Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car modifications.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:00 AM
CUZ I'M D.LE BABY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car modifications.

What do you guys usually say to your friends, family, etc. when they tell you that modding your car is a waste of money and you should save it?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i just say that it's a hobby of mine and that i get enjoyment out of it.
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by dle_has_a_TL
What do you guys usually say to your friends, family, etc. when they tell you that modding your car is a waste of money and you should save it?
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a hobby. There are much worse things that you could be spending your money on.

If you're not using the money you need for mortgage payments or paying for dental bills, etc., and it really is "disposable" income, then I say go for it.

But I'm sure the people who are saying those things to you are saying it only because they care about you, so go easy on them.
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd just tell them its my money, and I should spend it however I want. Same goes to other people's whip no matter how ugly it is to you.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 AM
CUZ I'M D.LE BABY!

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a hobby. There are much worse things that you could be spending your money on.

If you're not using the money you need for mortgage payments or paying for dental bills, etc., and it really is "disposable" income, then I say go for it.

But I'm sure the people who are saying those things to you are saying it only because they care about you, so go easy on them.
True that. One of my buddies that has been in the car scene told me "yeah it is a lot of money, but if its what you like, then go for it."

I guess you could say its DI, but I guess it's what you value your money in...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 698 Posts
I would tell them that a giant chunk of Americans are just wasting their money then & have been doing so since the 60's.

Modifying cars has been around forever. People get bored of what they have, and are always looking for more power/performance. It's a hobby all car people love. So we're "wasting" money. I can argue someone's wasting money dumping money into their house to make it look nicer.

Don't like it? Don't worry about, not your cash.

This isn't directed towards anyone here, this is just my view on these folks who don't understand the hobby.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My mom still tells me that shit to this day. Just make sure you take car of your priorities first. Its just a hobby of something you call your own and is a way of expressing yourself.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:24 AM
CUZ I'M D.LE BABY!

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
I would tell them that a giant chunk of Americans are just wasting their money then & have been doing so since the 60's.

Modifying cars has been around forever. People get bored of what they have, and are always looking for more power/performance. It's a hobby all car people love. So we're "wasting" money. I can argue someone's wasting money dumping money into their house to make it look nicer.

This isn't directed towards anyone here, this is just my view on these folks who don't understand the hobby.
Your right. I guess it's what we value in money. Just like computer guru's paying 500+ for a video card, or women paying 1k and up for purses.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S

Not taking sides with people who aren't enthusiastic about cars, but they do have a point in that putting money into fixing up your house is usually a better use of money in that the house typically will appreciate in value over time whereas our cars, well, you know what I'm getting at.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Your right. I guess it's what we value in money. Just like computer guru's paying 500+ for a video card, or women paying 1k and up for purses.
Jesus fucking christ tell me about it. How do women possibly justify $2000 handbags that are the size of my hand, $800 shoes, etc...
Old 02-13-2009, 01:38 AM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow I really like this thread. Never really crossed my mind that sombody would make somthing like this. It is of course a heated argument at my house. My usual response is one of two. "Its my money, thats what I want to spend it on", or "Im not going to be young forever, I wana mod up my car and/or do somthing stupid since im young". When you look at it, it's not the smartest thing to do. Its fun but not the smartest thing. If your spending every last dime you have on your car then I guess they have a right to say somthing. From what Ive read most of the members here do "break the bank" modding up their car. Wether thats right or not I guess is up to you. I make good money now but I plan on makin alot more down the road. So the whole not being able to mod up my car in the future is a load of BS, I just say it to get them off my back. Ima have my weekend car and the minivan!! (a motorcycle wouldnt hurt either)

Just make sure you get your priorities straight and if you have some extra money. MOD UP

Last edited by TLType-s12; 02-13-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I usually tell them that they are right... and ask them to tell me about their hobbies.. and take it from there...
Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I tell them it's better than spending my money on crack.

Can't argue. I don't think they want to by then either. Hah. Perfect answer.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Not taking sides with people who aren't enthusiastic about cars, but they do have a point in that putting money into fixing up your house is usually a better use of money in that the house typically will appreciate in value over time whereas our cars, well, you know what I'm getting at.
Good point. I suppose dle had better examples with the computers & women's purses examples.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
My parents gave up on telling me what to do a long time ago.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Yeah I get crap too, but now I get praises.

Here's what you can say..
"Why do you have an intake"
Reponse: "It saves gas" <-- hahaha, we all know it doesn't with our heavy foots.

"Why do you need a body kit for $900?"
Response "Aerodynamics.. better gas!" hahaha

You get my point, twist the truth around. These are responses to my elders, but to my friends, they know wasup.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ballerjai
Yeah I get crap too, but now I get praises.

Here's what you can say..
"Why do you have an intake"
Reponse: "It saves gas" <-- hahaha, we all know it doesn't with our heavy foots.

"Why do you need a body kit for $900?"
Response "Aerodynamics.. better gas!" hahaha

You get my point, twist the truth around. These are responses to my elders, but to my friends, they know wasup.
Whenever people ask how much I've spent, they always tend to follow it with a ,"Why that much"? Because just like your exotic cars, developing performance parts for these cars isn't cheap. My buddies can't believe I spent a grand for ATLP's exhaust, but they won't understand til' April.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
Tell them your helping out the economy in these times of automotive crisis!!

i tell them its a hobby. and that i do it cuz thats what i like to do.

My after spending 2G's last week on the car.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tell em its better than spending money on doing bad things....plus im MECP so im certified to hook up cars and write it off on taxes (the parts that is)....its how i make money so it works out to some degree.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Well I am gonna be having a conversation with my dad about this in the near future. He told me "Do you fucking hate money". I am in debt but I am making payments on time on all my bills and I always tend to have at least 1500$ in my bank account Now I am saving up a little more and hoping to get a good tax return so I can get rims and lower my car. Offcourse my dad thinks its a bad idea and he probably wont speak to me for a good month. And a little tip, do not borrow money from your parents
Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
I'll agree, people spend money on things they enjoy. In my house we have an understanding, if a purchase is more than $1000 my husband and I will discuss it, if it is under $1000 we just buy it and discuss it later. Most of the time we support eachother, but it is give and take too. I supported his decision to buy a new $12,000 street bike so he really can't say anything about the $ I spend on modding.

As far as my other family and friends, they are just haters anyway so what does it matter? My husband and I have owned our own home since we have been 19 and pay for everything ourselves, no help from anyone. Normally our parents do not question or concern themselves with what we spend out $ on.

And for the record I have NEVER spent more than $500 on a handbag, or $200 on shoes.

Last edited by CarrieLynn; 02-13-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with most of what's been said.
I think as long as you put your main responsibilities first, then why should they care what you do to have some fun? I'm dealing with that too, all of my friends have pretty much moved away, and my car is all i have to keep me occupied... besides my wife
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
CUZ I'M D.LE BABY!

Good posts guys. I was just wondering because I get a lot of crap from people saying that car modding is a waste of money and its annoying. One of the guys told me to screw the wheels and get a bike instead. (I guess its for attention)

Then the other one just said don't tell anyone and just magically appear with it. They won't say anything because the modification you just did will keep them speechless.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 AM
CUZ I'M D.LE BABY!

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
I'll agree, people spend money on things they enjoy. In my house we have an understanding, if a purchase is more than $1000 my husband and I will discuss it, if it is under $1000 we just buy it and discuss it later. Most of the time we support eachother, but it is give and take too. I supported his decision to buy a new $12,000 street bike so he really can't say anything about the $ I spend on modding.

As far as my other family and friends, they are just haters anyway so what does it matter? My husband and I have owned our own home since we have been 19 and pay for everything ourselves, no help from anyone. Normally our parents do not question or concern themselves with what we spend out $ on.

And for the record I have NEVER spent more than $500 on a handbag, or $200 on shoes.

Well maybe not you, but majority of the women that are into big designer name brand handbags.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I dated a girl one time that could care less about cars and especially about modding. My friends always mentioned the GN and she just didn't get it. I was 28 back then and she was 38, very conservative, and rich. She was one of those women that thought cars were stupid.

So one day she told me (2 months after we started dating) since my friends talked the car up so much I should take her for a ride.

I took it out of storage, ran it around for a few minutes to warm it up and then hammered it. This conservative uptight business woman was now screaming like a little girl and would not let me take the car home. I went through an entire tank of gas that night and had to go to the airport for another tank full that we used up. Every time I would go to take it back she would ask for one more trip around the block.

That was my standard answer, to take people for a ride when they questioned why I like to mod my cars and it usually shut them up.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Put it this way....I start with the words....Fu** Y*u.

I might add....I am on my second woman since I bought this car. lol

dude....I hear the same thing every week! dont sweat it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Well maybe not you, but majority of the women that are into big designer name brand handbags.
Oh, don't get me wrong I am the coach handbag queen but I just can't justify spending more than $500 on one. Canal St (NYC) for the win!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish i had money, I need it so i can finish my big project to unveil to AZ
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

lol canal street!!! thats true though
Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
After the knock-down drag-out arguement, I usually stay at a hotel for a couple of nights. Then, I send flowers and/or candy.

Finally, I sneek all my mods in from that point forward when no one is looking. I've had to bribe the UPS guy to deliver before 4PM, even if that means waiting an extra day for delivery. A $20 each delivery usually does the trick.

I've also built a false back panel into the garage cabinets where I can hide my "stash". If I keep the OE parts, I use misc t-shirt, towel or golf equipment boxes - these blend in like camoflauge.

Finally, NEVER EVER let anyone other than you open the hood; it is certain death.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
After the knock-down drag-out arguement, I usually stay at a hotel for a couple of nights. Then, I send flowers and/or candy.

Finally, I sneek all my mods in from that point forward when no one is looking. I've had to bribe the UPS guy to deliver before 4PM, even if that means waiting an extra day for delivery. A $20 each delivery usually does the trick.

I've also built a false back panel into the garage cabinets where I can hide my "stash". If I keep the OE parts, I use misc t-shirt, towel or golf equipment boxes - these blend in like camoflauge.

Finally, NEVER EVER let anyone other than you open the hood; it is certain death.

ROFL that is AWESOME Bearcat!! It's true too, isn't it??
Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
.... It's true too, isn't it??

About half.

You guys can have fun imagining which 1/2.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM
AZ Community Team

A Related Thread:

HOLY SHIZ!!! The wife noticed!!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's what to say....

My neighbor has a car he races at Summit Point W. Va. He is in the SCCA and races a Mini Cooper. This is his 4th car thru the years. His house is extremely nice and they are very comfortable if you know what I mean. His family lacks for nothing. One day we were in his driveway looking at his car and wifey comes out of the house and angrily says "If you didn't spend so much on racing I could buy that new living room set I want". To that he replied "I work. I pay for it all. If I were married to someone else, I'd still race. If I were single, I'd race. If you were to die tomorrow, I'd still race. Got it?" She immediately made some sort of ugly expression and quickly turned and went back inside. That was five years ago, he still races and they are still together.

Me, I don't care what they say or think. Cars and performance involve understanding concepts like compression, gases, fuel, temperature, power, weight, torque, gearing, lubrication, metals, tools, use of this website and on and on and on. What other hobby is so rewarding and enjoyable to minds like ours? More than once I've said "If it weren't for minds out there like mine, humans would still be getting around on horses".
That's just my 2CW.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Racer

whenever someone tells me that this is what i say:"well i personally look at it as discretionary spending, I'm trying to help the economy by spending on items other than the basic needs. and by doing that i will be keeping jobs for people in the automotive industry".

I'm also single dont drink,smoke,or do drugs. so what else am i suppose to spend my money on??? and i still have enough money to put aside as savings. By the time i say all that shit most people just shut up.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I keep threatening to add up the money I've spent on my Type S since I've purchased the car. I haven't done it yet...kinda scared to. But between modding my car and my time spent on Acurazine, it keeps me off the porn sites! (hee hee)
Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I usually get my stuff shipped to my friends house, put it on and go home. If someone notice that somethings different I try to convince them that I found it cheaper at some garage sale and bought it. I did that for wheels, bought them from a member here on Azine and told my parents that I paid $100 for it. No worries, didn't say a word. Trying to figure out what the hell to say about taillights....lol
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tmnhs81
I usually get my stuff shipped to my friends house, put it on and go home. If someone notice that somethings different I try to convince them that I found it cheaper at some garage sale and bought it. I did that for wheels, bought them from a member here on Azine and told my parents that I paid $100 for it. No worries, didn't say a word. Trying to figure out what the hell to say about taillights....lol
Say one of your lights cracked and you went to the dealer looking for 1 of them. And since our cars are 1 gen old now, the dealer had a set on hand that they wanted to get rid of. the parts manager was nice enough to give them to you for 100 bucks for the set.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 AM
05' AT SSM

Yeah i mean i think most people Mod their car because it makes them happy, some want to stand out of the crowd, some want to go faster, handle better.

Now whether you should be saving money or putting into your car is dependent on how much extra cash you got lying around.

I mean if the wife is saying don't waste money on that $1k exhaust, and your behind on bills, shes right.

But if anyone else whos not dependent on your cash flow tells you to stop wasting money on your car, i would tell them to " Mind your own Bidness!" haha.

Quick Reply: Car modifications.