Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Believe-Overspray On 90% Of Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Can't Believe-Overspray On 90% Of Car

Got to vent a little, plus need a little education.
Some idiot sideswiped the wife in her WDP TL a few weeks ago. Minor damage to the right fender and the right side of the front cover, both still salvageable, bent the Acura chromed wheel and cracked the coating.

Dropped it off last Monday and picked it up yesterday. Great job on the front cover and right fender, and actually fixed a stone chip on the left fender. Actually a great match job, as everything is close in shade. Washed the car this morning and when the sun hit the car on a trip to the store, I saw what looked like residue on the windows and windshield. Problem is that it's not residue it's over spray. Took a razor blade and scrapped a 3" opening on the driver's side window, windshield, and rear window. To make a long story short, the entire upper part of the car has over spray, roof, all windows, deck lid, top of the rear bumper, top of all the doors and mirrors, but only the left side of the hood. You can run your hand over the car and check for over spray as it sounds and feels like sandpaper, but smooth as glass where there is none.

I'm certainly glad they weren't opened today or they would have had a madman at the shop. Hopefully I'll calm down before I go there tomorrow morning.

Any experts on the topic of removing the over spray?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happened to me after a recent repair. I can see a fine coating of overspray on the windshield and other windows when the sun hits it just right. I would also like to know of a safe solution for removal from the windows.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Car Guy

Originally Posted by ctrain1
Same thing happened to me after a recent repair. I can see a fine coating of overspray on the windshield and other windows when the sun hits it just right. I would also like to know of a safe solution for removal from the windows.
Overspray is fairly easily removed with a clay bar and the proper method of use.

Personally I would take it back and make them fix it to your satisfaction though.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
couldn't this also be called 10% underspray?

I say the shop should pay for another shop to do the fixing. i wouldn't put my TL in their hands again
Old 11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
7th Gear

Cool Clay bar should remove overspray

Sorry to hear about your overspray dilemna guys. As the former owner of a car wash and detail company I had the pleasure or displeasure of winning a bid to remove overspray from about 75 cars. They were all parked near an apartment complex that was getting new exterior paint. The paint got airborn due to wind and the rest is history. I charged $150 per car and it probably wasn't enough for the tediousness of removing overspray.
1. Wash the car with a 1/2 cup liquid Dawn or a similar liquid dishwashing soap in a big bucket using a soft sponge, mit etc. and rinse.
2. With the car still wet then bust out a clay bar, rip and tear it apart and then back together prior to using from the box and also every few minutes to keep the clay bar "fresh". With the car continuously wet just start rubbing on the painted and smooth surfaces until all the overspray is removed. This takes a LONG TIME. Do small 2 sq feet surfaces and be prepared to have a sore hand, wrist arm etc from all the work it takes to remove the overspray. You have to use some pressure, not backbreaking pressure but some.
3. Once you're finished with all the clay bar work you need to re-wash your car, dry and then apply your favorite wax. I recommend Zaino Brothers waxes.
4. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
go back to the shop and ask them to polish them out, not a big deal but it shouldn't happen in the first place.
also tell them to do the whole detailing from inside out.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM
REDBULL///AMG

compound it
Old 11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Take the car back to the shop, tell them about the problem and I'm sure they will take care of it. They will buff the overspray off and you will be good to go, plus you will get a buff job out of the deal. Why should you spend time with a clay bar to fix the problem when the shop is the one that screwed it up. I had the same problem on my A4 once and the shop was more than happy to take care of it.
Eric
Old 11-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06 Acura TL
compound it
please don't
Old 11-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Thanks for all the replies as it's reassuring that this can be done without any problems to the clear on the WDP.

Went back to the shop today and it seems like it's no big deal for them. Actually very apologetic and cleaned the front and rear windows with 4/0 steel wool while I waited. Not absolutely perfect, but much better than it was. Going to drop it off Wednesday and they will buff, and then detail the entire car. It was clear coat, but he couldn't explain how it happened, as the car is bagged when they are painting, but said that it was possible it was spray from another vehicle, but assured me that it will be perfect when I pick it up.

Two weeks ago they did a year old Mercedes S550 that had to have paint removed when a neighbor spray-painted wicker furniture and the paint became airborne and covered the Mercedes. He said it came out fine.

We'll see!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Intermediate

Ive dealt with this before, usually because they do not cover the car properly. My remedy may sound crazy but it works. I use carb cleaner on the non-paint, then diamond cut the rest off the paint, works good.