Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cancelling an extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancelling an extended warranty

I traded in my 2004 TL about a month ago and sent my 7 yr extended warranty back to Crown Acura in Richmond VA for a pro-rata refund as per the contract.

This was after numerous phone calls to the business manager as to how to handle the transaction. He kept telling me to call Fidelity Warranty directly. They told me to go through the dealer as indicated in the contract. This is what I finally did. I made copies of all the documents and sent the paperwork via priority mail with delivery confirmation. A couple of days later the business manager told me the paper work had been sent and a refund check should be issued in 3 - 4 weeks.

After 3 weeks I called Fidelity Warrantly. They told me they no record of the cancellation. I called the business manager at Crown who told me he'd look into the matter. He never called me back. I then called the sales manager who told me he'd look into the matter and never called me back. I called Acura corporate and told them the story. I was either going to turn it over to an attorney in Richmond or submit it to the 6 court TV shows I found on Google. They called the dealer while I was on hold and assured me I'd have a return call that day.

The general manager called me back with the business manager and the sales manager on a conference call. The business manager told me their agent had lost the paperwork and he didn't know what to do.

I'm a CPA, not a lawyer, but I do know they had a responsibilty to safeguard these documents and they failed to do so.

The general manager faxed me a cancellation form, which I had not seen before, to complete and sign. I found it interesting that I was never asked to sign this document before but was told that all the paperwork had been submitted and subsequently lost.

At any rate, I completed the form from the copies I had made prior to sending the originals to Crown.

At this point, the general manager was good on her word. My refund was issued the next day and sent to me via Fed X.

I can't say for sure what happened, but if anyone else is in a similar situation, make copies and send everything by a documentable service. Without that you're up the creek.

In the end, Crown made good on the refund and made things right and I thank them for that.

Joe
Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had similar case with my GAP insurance cancellation through the dealership. After numerous calls, and 5 months later, they finally applied the refund to my loan.

So, I learned from my experience and I was also cancelling my extended warranty, so I did it directly through the provider (ACURA CARE)....faxed everything to the 1-800 in Torrance and 2 days later they confirmed a check has been prepared and will be mailed out soon.