Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I pull a trailer with my 04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I pull a trailer with my 04 TL

I am looking to pull a trailer with my 2 motorcycles in it. It would be a maximum on 1000 lbs. Is this something the car can handle and if so what would i need to order and any idea what it would cost and how many hours for labor?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest against it. With all the problems Honda has had with trannies lately, why risk it?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura does not make a tow package for the TL. This car was not at all designed to tow stuff so I would try to avoid it.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
there was a post about this two days ago, but the guy wanted jet skis instead. look up the posts in that one.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The owner's manual strictly says not to tow with the TL, as I recall. And I don't think they give any reasons for their stance on this.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Certified A-Hole!

WHY?!!?!? TL = Sexy pimpness, Not Hauling Bitch lol!! Get an MDX for that!
Old 04-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro

There is a guy on the 2G CL site that tows his quads with his car so I think it is possible. I would drive with it in D4 though for sure. Dont want the trans heating up trying to pull that weight with the tall OD gear the TL has.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Banned

childs play for the TL. do you have 5at or 6mt? i would probably swap out to a Redline tranny fluid so it can take some more abuse.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:02 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your limiting factor will be the hitch.
If I remember right, the hitch that I did find for the TL (not for me but for one of the other threads a while back) had a tongue weight limit of 150 lbs and an overall tow limit of 600 lbs. The problem isn't whether or not the engine/tranny will handle it, it's the fact that the rear of the TL and hitch / mount possibilities don't allow for "robustness" etc. Thus if you attempt to tow too much you would possibly pull/rip the hitch from the car.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Your limiting factor will be the hitch.
If I remember right, the hitch that I did find for the TL (not for me but for one of the other threads a while back) had a tongue weight limit of 150 lbs and an overall tow limit of 600 lbs. The problem isn't whether or not the engine/tranny will handle it, it's the fact that the rear of the TL and hitch / mount possibilities don't allow for "robustness" etc. Thus if you attempt to tow too much you would possibly pull/rip the hitch from the car.

Good luck
hmmm, MIG + steel = hitch

any good hitch shop can build in whatever is needed.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by RacialSlurs
hmmm, MIG + steel = hitch

any good hitch shop can build in whatever is needed.
Hmmm,,,
Any good hitch shop would also think about possible liabilities prior to fabricating specific structure to perform what the vehicle manufacture has already stated not too.......
Old 04-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Certified A-Hole!

Hmmm,,,
Any good hitch shop would also think about possible liabilities prior to fabricating specific structure to perform what the vehicle manufacture has already stated not too.......
If your stupid enough to ask to have a hitch welded to your TL, then they are prolly stupid enough to sign the "We're not liable for your stupidity papers" too. Some shops will weld whatever you want to your car...

The TL can haul a small trailer with whatever on it, I've seen old ghetto cars hauling stuff on trailers. Would I do it? Hell no, get a truck, that's what they are for, can you do it? Ya, you can. I would cry seeing a TL being a hauling bitch, but it's your $34G's!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:17 AM
One on the right for me

good luck finding a hitch frame that will mount up to the underbody. i know for a lot of the acuras its impossible to weld on the hitches even if you wanted to because they are drilled applications through the spare tire mount. this is true for at least the integras and the crv's. mdx is a frame bolt on, but for a lot of the unibody cars you are stuck with drilling into the trunk...its very very very hard to fabricate something to line up perfectly, and you will have a hard time finding a shop willing to take on such work (especially an able shop who is still willing to get themselves set up for a huge comeback.)
Old 04-16-2005, 04:19 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by subinf
good luck finding a hitch frame that will mount up to the underbody. i know for a lot of the acuras its impossible to weld on the hitches even if you wanted to because they are drilled applications through the spare tire mount. this is true for at least the integras and the crv's. mdx is a frame bolt on, but for a lot of the unibody cars you are stuck with drilling into the trunk...its very very very hard to fabricate something to line up perfectly, and you will have a hard time finding a shop willing to take on such work (especially an able shop who is still willing to get themselves set up for a huge comeback.)

The hitch that is available for the 04/05 TL "is" mounted/bolted on through the spare tire area and then bolts onto/through the rear tow hook. As I mentioned above, due to the lack of bumper/frame structure it's designed for small "jobs". It would work fine given a small/light load.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:28 PM
One on the right for me

The hitch that is available for the 04/05 TL "is" mounted/bolted on through the spare tire area and then bolts onto/through the rear tow hook. As I mentioned above, due to the lack of bumper/frame structure it's designed for small "jobs". It would work fine given a small/light load.

didnt say it wouldt work for a load at all, just am not aware of any hitch out there. im sure someone has come up with a custom build one, or there has been a fabrication shop that has modified one, but one you can order up....havent seen it.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:34 AM
WDP Director of R & D

didnt say it wouldt work for a load at all, just am not aware of any hitch out there. im sure someone has come up with a custom build one, or there has been a fabrication shop that has modified one, but one you can order up....havent seen it.
Subinf,
what I was articulating/describing was the hitch that is/was available for the 04/05 TL (but will admit I can't find it now....?). I was confirming what you said that it does mount to the spare tire and tow hook structure/area only. The specs however were for less than 150 lb tongue weight and no more than I believe 600 lb tow.. Not sure where the link went but I definitely remember "looking" at it and the install instructions several months back.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Advanced

I have a 97 Accord and got a hitch bolted to it, it does a fine job with towing my bike to the track.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:30 AM
One on the right for me

Subinf,
what I was articulating/describing was the hitch that is/was available for the 04/05 TL (but will admit I can't find it now....?). I was confirming what you said that it does mount to the spare tire and tow hook structure/area only. The specs however were for less than 150 lb tongue weight and no more than I believe 600 lb tow.. Not sure where the link went but I definitely remember "looking" at it and the install instructions several months back.

Cheers
Ohh ok...I the only hitch I remember seeing for the TL was that one guy in LA who had a shop custom mount one. I would assume one of the lesser brands already has something out (not that they are lesser in quality, just not as big as drawtite or hidden.) The reason Im pressing this so much is that the auto shop where I work does more than full serve repair, we also install hitches and all the towing accessories. While I havent been after a rear mount hitch I have had several customers ask me about what is avaliable for the 04 and newer TL's. While we wont install something with that kind of liability (owners manual) I would still like to refer them to a company that does make them. If you do come accross that number I would much appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:14 PM
DEG
Advanced

I would like to use a hitch to carry a bike rack only. Would that be the same as towing?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:08 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by DEG
I would like to use a hitch to carry a bike rack only. Would that be the same as towing?

for having a rear mount bike rack you will only be concerned with the tongue weight...so you might be limited to only a two bike carrier.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I was looking for a hitch and still didn't find any. I need it for my jet ski. Yesterday I went to a place where they install them and the guy claimed he has 2 types! I saw them on the shelf, but I don't think they were for 3g. I guess he thought 2003 and 2004 is the same thing. I will not even let him try it on.

I remember somebody posted a link a while a go: http://hitch-web.com/ but it seems they don't have our hitch no more. Well.... if anybody knows any good source let us know.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM
DEG
Advanced

for having a rear mount bike rack you will only be concerned with the tongue weight...so you might be limited to only a two bike carrier.
My bikes only weigh 16-19 lbs each. Anyone have any ideas where would I find someplace in N. Ill to do this?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go out and get a roof top bike rack for the car. Just have to be careful when going into your garage...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Certified A-Hole!

I made a rear carrier like with what you are talking about for you bikes, but this was for a 4 wheeler. It was on a truck, and it was badass.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:00 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by DEG
My bikes only weigh 16-19 lbs each. Anyone have any ideas where would I find someplace in N. Ill to do this?
i dont think there is much hope in finding a lot of places to put on a hitch. i would start calling around to different fabrication shops to see if you can find anyone to just connect a receiver type thing to the back of the TL for bike rack purpose only. i think the best idea is to just put a rack on the roof of the TL. Ive listed the Thule part numbers below if interested in following up on it.

2004 Acura TL Thule rack part numbers
Feet: 400xt (what mounts up with the fit kit to go on the roof) 129.00 dollars
Fit Kit: 2138 (designed specifically for the 3rd gen TL) 50.00 dollars
SRA: 477 (short roof adapter, rec. for more bar space) 105.00 dollars
Bars: LB50 (the load bars) 50.00 dollars

You can get away with not using the SRA if you want to save money but you are limited to a max. bar spread of 16 inches, whereas if you use the SRA the bar spread is increased to 26 inches. It all depends on what you plan on carrying.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:20 PM
rarely registered user

You know, some people on this forum say things like "A hitch on a TL, NEVER! Go out and buy a truck" Well some of us live in a big city and can only park one car where we live and we want that one car to be a TL. Is there anything wrong with that? We also have bikes because, well, we only can have one car.

I already have a Thule 1 1/4 hitch mounted rack from my last car. It's exactly what I want to use. There is no way in hell I'm putting either a trunk mounted or roof mounted rack on my TL. I simply don't see why a light tongue weight class I reciever should be such a big problem. I'm not trying to haul a uhaul coast to coast, I only have a two bike carrier and the bikes are lightweight.

So if anyone has any constructive ideas on where to get a bolt on hitch receiver, I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm looking into fabrication shops but I really don't have the time to call all over the area. I'm really hoping somebody will have a bolt on deal.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 PM
One on the right for me

You are probably not going to find any compaines making hitches for the TL. You might find a small fab shop willing to do it, but if you are expecting drawtite and the like to produce one you are out of luck. Since Acura says that the TL is not capable of towing they are probably not going to produce one. The demand for rear mount bike carriers will not justify the R and D involved in the production of a hitch. For all of you who want a hitch for your rear mount bike carriers...its just too bad because highly unlikely that the cost of producing the hitch will be justified by the small demand. There are better alternatives, such as a trunk mount or roof mount. If this does not satisfy you, happy hunting for that one fab shop willing to take on that kind of responsibility.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Hmm, I guess it is the time to buy a generic hitch for "some" car, pull out a torch and a welder, get some sparks flying and do it myself! Yes, for real. NEED is the mother of all INVENTIONS.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Advanced

How similar is the rear undercarriage of the TL to the Accord sedan? Reese makes a bolt on one for the Accord.

Oh, and it is "Necessity is the mother of invention".
Old 04-19-2005, 10:19 PM
One on the right for me

Since this is still a pressing interest I will call my drawtite rep tomorrow (they are usually more helpful to dealers than they are customers) about the r and d for the TL hitch and if he knows anything about modifying accord hitches. ill post a response as soon as i get one.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:16 AM
rarely registered user

subinf... thanks for the help! I can't wait to hear if you find anything out. I do disagree with your opinion, however, that a roof mounted carrier or a trunk mounted carrier are "better alternatives". They certainly are more viable, and perhaps less disrupting to the overall appearance of the car when not in use... but I wouldn't say they are better. I've had all three on previous cars and I believe the hitch mount is the least likely to scratch, ding, or otherwise damage the car.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:15 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by USCGMoose
subinf... thanks for the help! I can't wait to hear if you find anything out. I do disagree with your opinion, however, that a roof mounted carrier or a trunk mounted carrier are "better alternatives". They certainly are more viable, and perhaps less disrupting to the overall appearance of the car when not in use... but I wouldn't say they are better. I've had all three on previous cars and I believe the hitch mount is the least likely to scratch, ding, or otherwise damage the car.

Im sorry, I should have made myself more clear, although you are still welcome to disagree with my rewording. For the TL I think a roof or trunk mount would be a better alternative (until a hitch, if ever, is mass produced). I think the Thule trailblazer is the best designed rear mount bike rack money can buy...hands down. Just with the lack of any specific part numbers I would be concerned with the tougne weight capability and therefore would opt for using alternative methods for transporting bikes until more is known about the hitch options.
In any event, hopefully I can get some helpful answers one way or another. Till then...
Old 04-20-2005, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

hitch...

I have a 1G TL and I have had my hitch for four years. It was ordered from some company in Boston and at that time was the only made for the TL. I have no problem towing my street bike to the beach, mountians, wherever and have been doing so for years with no tranny problems.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:33 PM
rarely registered user

yeah, I've actually found a few options for the 1G TL and the new Honda Accord, but nothing that works with my 04.

Also, I agree with subinf that a hitch designed for the TL, rather than something fabricated custom, would be much safer (so you could match up part numbers). As for alternatives, I'm probably more likely to put my wife on the bike and tow her with a rope than use a trunk or roof mounted bike carrier. Not sure what the CHP would think of that.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by USCGMoose
yeah, I've actually found a few options for the 1G TL and the new Honda Accord, but nothing that works with my 04.

Also, I agree with subinf that a hitch designed for the TL, rather than something fabricated custom, would be much safer (so you could match up part numbers). As for alternatives, I'm probably more likely to put my wife on the bike and tow her with a rope than use a trunk or roof mounted bike carrier. Not sure what the CHP would think of that.
I think my custom hitch is pretty safe. With the bike rack attached to the hitch I watched the person who installed it jump up and down on it. I don't dream of towing anything with the hitch although it could tow up to 2000 lbs. according to the installer. Perfect for hauling around a bike.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by insmanblue
I think my custom hitch is pretty safe. With the bike rack attached to the hitch I watched the person who installed it jump up and down on it. I don't dream of towing anything with the hitch although it could tow up to 2000 lbs. according to the installer. Perfect for hauling around a bike.

Do you have a hitch for the 3rd gen TL. If you do I would be very interested in seeing pictures of it. Aside from a general mechanic shop and hitch retailer/installer we do take on a number of fabrication jobs. I would be interested in seeing how the hitch was put together. Our shop has built custom hitches before, albeit replacing entire bumpers for 4x4 trucks. I have a pretty good idea on how to construct one, however if it has already been done I would love to see the intuition used.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Straight outta JERSEY ...

Originally Posted by cigarlvr
I am looking to pull a trailer with my 2 motorcycles in it. It would be a maximum on 1000 lbs. Is this something the car can handle and if so what would i need to order and any idea what it would cost and how many hours for labor?
i wouldn't chance it .......
Old 04-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

The owner's manual says not to tow with the 3G TL because the 3G TL was not designed to tow.

If any damage were to result on the car because a Hitch was installed and or used to tow...Honda/Acura would more than likely not help you out.

I was one of the body designers on the 3G TL and the ability to tow was not a criteria for this car.

So just don't attempt it.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, I found a hithch for the TL in less than a min. Go to www.uhaul.com and click on the link to hitches. For an '04 Acura TL the hitch part number is: 24995. It's black in color and a receiver type hitch. Sells for $86.50 and gave me an option to buy online.

Cut and past this link if you want:

http://store.uhaul.com/(4r233irrivzeqvbncpteb055)/wizard_hitches.aspx
Old 04-23-2005, 12:21 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by chusteveb
Man, I found a hithch for the TL in less than a min. Go to www.uhaul.com and click on the link to hitches. For an '04 Acura TL the hitch part number is: 24995. It's black in color and a receiver type hitch. Sells for $86.50 and gave me an option to buy online.

Cut and past this link if you want:

http://store.uhaul.com/(4r233irrivzeqvbncpteb055)/wizard_hitches.aspx

The only problem that I can forsee with that is that is the same part number for one of the hitches avaliable for the 2nd gen TL. Not to bash UHAUL too hard becuase some of their hitches are pretty good, but I would pass on this one. If someone wants to bite the bullet and try it out, go for it. I would suggest some serious time on the phone with UHAUL's tech department to ensure they arent just using a hitch that comes close to fitting the new design.

Quick Reply: Can I pull a trailer with my 04 TL