Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camel Interior Practical???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camel Interior Practical???

I'm thinking of buying a 5AT/NAVI/DGP/CAMEL but am concerned with upkeep of the interior. Have heard that the blue dye from jeans might transfer on to the seats and be hard to clean off. Would appreciate hearing from those of you with Camel interiors.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:54 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

I think the problem was with the dye from someone's belt, not their jeans. I have Parchment (which should be as bad, if not worse than camel); I wear jeans all the time and I've never had a problem with dye transfer. I doubt you will either.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:15 PM
10th Gear

I decided against the Camel interior for one reason only - all 4 Acuras I saw on lots had black marks at various places around the interior. Not being a meticulous cleaner of my car, I decided on the black interior which I've been very pleased with.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've had cars with black and cars with light. I haven't had any more or any less problems with either one. I just bought the new '05 with Camel and must say that I love the look. I think it's safe to say that both colors have their problems, but the differentiator is the owner. As long as you're the owner, I'm sure it will be spotless. The problem comes when others come into the car.

As for staining, I've never had any problems on any car with blue jeans, just a few problems with cheap belts as EnJ mentions. Go with what you like and enjoy the ride.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Camel rocks. I own it, love it.. .have no regrets after 6,000 miles/3.5 months so far!

-Steve
Old 10-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Advanced

I have Blue/Camel combo, and it's very nice. Don't worry about any stain, unless you wear stuff that comes off easy. If you are concerned, keep a can of leather wipe in your car. I wear business and casual business most of the time, but never saw any stains from jeans from my friends sitting on it.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:21 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Originally Posted by wallaceoh
The problem comes when others come into the car.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Acura aficionado

The problem comes when others come into the car.
Agreed. If you are transporting a troop of boy scouts, don't get it.

I have camel. I usually drive the car with only me in it. My wife knows how much I care about my car, and takes care when she is riding with me. And I appreciate that!

I like it a lot. Goes really well with red!

Old 10-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Krypton Ken
Agreed. If you are transporting a troop of boy scouts, don't get it.

I have camel. I usually drive the car with only me in it. My wife knows how much I care about my car, and takes care when she is riding with me. And I appreciate that!

I like it a lot. Goes really well with red!

Well, I do transport Boy Scouts (OK, only my kids) and Parchment has held up fine. No problems at all.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Semper Fi

Parchment looks good but keeping it looking clean or "new" is a pain.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
If you are a bit sloppy with cars, I would not recommend any light interior. I have Camel, and I have a Townsend Leather care kit - there have been no stains i could not remove, and the Townsend kit's leather conditioner treats the outer leather to be stain resistant. I love the look of a dark green car with Camel interior, dating back to my Lotus days. But it is not for everyone.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

I have Camel and have no problem with it. I want to buy another car still I would choose Camel.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:11 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Now, just season your Camel with a little extra plood to fill in the spaceas Acura left out.
Click on the Woodash Pics link on my signature below. If you see red X's, keep refreshing. My ISP's had problems with this lately.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Intermediate

I'm glad to see this question posted, as I have the very same concern. I will be ordering my car within the next three weeks, and I really love the camel interior so that's my number 1 choice, but I'm not sure it's a smart one in my case.

The entire reason for getting this car is that my 2-door just won't do now that my wife and I had a baby last month. So, as you can guess, my concern is that during the time I own this car, I'll have an infant through small child. Obviously, I can limit what my daughter does while she's in the car to some extent (no drinks, food, markers, etc.), but it just seems to me that sticky-handed little ones I've seen in the past can just about destroy any environment they occupy.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that the camel leather would be fine, as most things can be cleaned from leather, but it's the door trim, carpets, etc. that I worry about, especially once she's old enough to climb in and out of the car herself.

Incidentally, have you ever noticed that there are several posts in the picture section of this site that have series of nice, detailed shots of camel, partchment and quartz interiors, including back seat shots, door panels, mouldings, etc., but no elaborate photo series or high quality shots of ebony interiors? The best shots I've seen are the ones from the brochure, but it's not a very detailed shot, except for the one of the driver's side of the dash. I'm having the same luck at dealerships in my area over the last few weeks. I've now sat inside cars with all the interiors but the ebony. (I actually found one at a dealership yesterday, but it was being prepped for sale and they had it on a lift.)

Anyway, any feedback from owners with babies or small children would be appreciated.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:45 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

The baby seat may leave black marks on your seats. If you get the Camel, it would probably be good to put down a towl and put the seat on top of that. I have a 5 year old and I let her know before she gets in the car it's no longer her show. I make sure she's not dirty or sticky, I open the door, put her in the back seat, buckle her in, and close the door. The rule is keep your hands on your lap, period. There's no reason for her to touch anything. I feel bad about it sometimes because I'll look back and she'll be sleeping with her hands on her lap It sucks I have to be a dictator in my car but I'm trying to keep my Parchment interior clean.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Racer

Dark exterior and light interior....

They look great when they're clean but they're kinda like women....

You need to pay attention to them and put in some effort or else they'll make you look really bad.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:33 AM
I'm Baaack!

No probs w/ Camel yet, I have a 5 yr old and a 2 1/2 yr old .. I put towels under the car seats which catches most of the shrapnel. The only issue I've had is with an occasional black mark in the kickplate on my door (I wear only suits to work and the black wingtips smudge if I'm not careful)
Old 10-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got ebony and have absolutely no problems, obviously they won't show with a dark leather. My friend has parchment and doesn't clean it as often as he should, mabe monthly, and it's starting to get dark stains on the seat bolster's where it's wrinkling slightly. The wrinkles have a dark edge around the wrinkle and is definately dirt or something rubbing off from his clothing. He drives the car to work in a suit daily, so it's not from blue jeans. Also, I have camel colored furniture in my home, and although it's 10 years old, I do have some dark stains where the leather has wrinkled. I don't know why the stains only show around wirnkles because overall the sofa is very clean looking, but it must have something to do with the wrinkles that have developed over the years...and yes, the sofa does have wrinkles too. Hope all the comments help you decide. Whatever color you get, if you invest the time to keep it clean weekly, you should be OK. Keeping it clean in t he first place is much easier than removing stains after they start to show.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Deep As The Abyss

I have the ABP with camel as well. The only problem I have seen with dirty interiors happens when people are wearing shoes with carbon rubber outsoles. Mostly running sneakers and trail boots/sneakers have this type of outsole. Just keep some wipes with you to quickly remove any scuffs.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Cruisin'

Your responses are much appreciated.......
It's people like you that make this such a great board.

ROAD RAGE: Could you please post where you bought the Townsend Leather Care kit?

Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by charleybrown

ROAD RAGE: Could you please post where you bought the Townsend Leather Care kit?

Thanks again!

I agree...thank you very much for the feedback, folks.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Not a Blowhole

Thanks again!
Yes, but isn't a Google search a lot easier for all concerned?

www.townsendleather.com

They are now carrying the kit at www.ricks2k.com, on my recommendation, along with the LE-607 90w gear oil for the diff. I told them to make me new product manager.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wawawa
I have Camel and have no problem with it. I want to buy another car still I would choose Camel.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Instructor

No kids, but do 2 dogs count?

We are the owners of an 04 TL, NBP with camel interior, and think that colour combination is one of the nicest ones offered by Acura for the TL. We have two Golden retrievers who do travel in the car, and have found a very handy remedy to the messy rear seat problem that may help owners with children. We have installed a product we obtained from the SuperPet or PetSmart Chain of pet supplies consisting of a large, heavy duty woven nylon seat cover that hooks over the rear headrests, falls (folds) over the rear seat and then hooks over the front seats, forming a very sturdy and waterproof barrier between the seat facing and the dogs. We have also, for extra protection, padded the seats with a few blankets. The woven seat cover does have pre-formed slots for seat belts so this may aid in attaching baby carriers.

We love the camel interior, but have experience the smudging on the door sills from
shoe soles.

What ever the colour you choose, this is one heck of an automobile.

TL42
:imnewhere:
Old 10-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Instructor

For those with kids, camel interior will give you a headache. Those of us with little ones know that the seats/interior will get dirty eventually. Footprints on the seatbacks, food stains, scuff marks, ceiling stains and spills. You can try to control as much as you want, but there will come a time when you will have no choice but to feed them in the car. And don't even get me started on the teenager/adult passengers!!!

I like the camel too, and my first thought was "damn, that's nice... but the kids." So...NBP/ebony for me. Less headaches all around.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Yes, but isn't a Google search a lot easier for all concerned?

www.townsendleather.com

They are now carrying the kit at www.ricks2k.com, on my recommendation, along with the LE-607 90w gear oil for the diff. I told them to make me new product manager.
Didn't know you bought it online. Thought it might've been available in some stores nationally. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Not a Blowhole

Didn't know you bought it online. Thought it might've been available in some stores nationally. Thanks.
Nope, like many good things, you have to be "in the know" on that one. But ricks may be more convenient, depending on where you live. Worth searching for though. Products deliver.