Sponsored by:

California Tint Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Tint Enforcement

Just got my tints on the TL

I went with 20 on back/35 on front. I asked the guy and he said it's illegal but don't worry about it just roll your windows down... And it did look pretty light so I went for it. Once it was done, it looked darn dark out of the sun! I'm a bit nervous now that I'll be getting ticketed!

Although I've seen plenty of cars around with same dark tint. Cali residents, what has been your recent epxeriance? Being pulled over?? I'm in LA by the way but will be moving up to Bay area soon.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Racer

wasssup.. im from so cal too live in fullerton not sure if u know where that is.. i got my tint recently too...got 20%front and 5%(supposedly) back.. dont have any trouble so far.. drove by a few cops and it was fine..
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry bud, if the cops see tint on your front window, you'll get a tix if the cop's an ass. I went with limo tint in the back and 35 in the front. Cops said you're not supposed to have any tint on the front window at all. But try your luck.

" It's illegal, but don't worry about it, just roll your window down."

When they do pull you over for anything, if they're a dick, they'll ask you to roll up your window. Either way, u're screwed. And plus, will you drive with your front windows down when at night when it's cold? Nope.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:13 PM
RIP 06 TL

I have limo all the way around, no tint ticket for a year+! If you get a tint ticket, your in the wrong place at the wrong time and usually the cop is a dick.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Acuras Only in

It really depends what color is your TL ... for NBP, it gets pretty hot in Cali during the summer time so tints def. helps; not to mention it looks a lot better IMHO with the tint .... so this technicality of legal matter is really a trade-off issue ... good luck dude ...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Racer

ye most of the times the cop gotta be a dick to pull u over..
Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM
'07 NBP TL

Where in LA are you? I'm in LA too. Had my tint for almost 6 months. No prob with cops. *knock on wood*
Old 10-06-2007, 04:57 PM
WDP Is Faster

Originally Posted by lopopo
ye most of the times the cop gotta be a dick to pull u over..
The problem is... those dicks are everywhere in the Bay Area. IMO, i would've gone with 35%. I think some cops look at how dark your back tints are and immediatly judge that you have tint in the front.

BTW..what part of the bay area are you moving to? Milpitas and San Jose have been notorious for pulling people over for worthless stuff like these. Fremont...they target brack people and are nazis against mods. I'm not being racist..i have lived there since 1986...and I have witnessed it.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by reloaded
The problem is... those dicks are everywhere in the Bay Area. IMO.
then that really sucks.. lol
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
What happened was Ca. LE got 4 million dollars this year to teach all officers how to spot cars modified for street racing (possible stolen parts/motors/cars and other wrong doings

The tint they have issue with because Officers get shot from cars where you cant see in

My car has 5% rears- thats dark and 20s on the fronts
Went 2-3 years no probs till the wife went sailing into a radar zone at 52 in a 35
Since she has to roll the window down to speak with him- the cop pointed to the edge of the windpw
See this edge here- thats window film- If it were a factory tint there wouldnt be any edge

Oh really- she replies- it was like that when we bought it!

Its just a fix-it ticket and no fee for the signoff- you still have to pay the speeding ticket plus court fee to take traffic school and keep record clean for insuranc breaks

Took me 20 -30 minutes to remove tint with heat gun/hair dryer and a razor blade

Unless you blacked out the fronts its not a primary offense to stop you for-
If you are not wearing a seatbelt- thats a primary offense, or speeding, or whatever they can think of- THEN the tint becomes a bonus for them in the recordkeeping
Old 10-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by myTaLizaS3.2
Sorry bud, if the cops see tint on your front window, you'll get a tix if the cop's an ass. I went with limo tint in the back and 35 in the front. Cops said you're not supposed to have any tint on the front window at all. But try your luck.

" It's illegal, but don't worry about it, just roll your window down."

When they do pull you over for anything, if they're a dick, they'll ask you to roll up your window. Either way, u're screwed. And plus, will you drive with your front windows down when at night when it's cold? Nope.
True. I've been pulled over and asked to roll up the side windows. It depends on the cop but eventually you will get pulled over. I'm going to end up getting the UV blocker for mine. It feels like you have tint because it knocks down the heat so well but doesn't look darker.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, sucks when you just got the tint put on and the next day you get a tix for it. hehe. What I did was get an extension on the court date so I can leave the tint on for longer.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
yep - I waited until after the bay area meet to remove the tint lol then got the sign off and bought some more material- and well,
its good to have skills !
Old 10-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Some cops don't hassle you on tint or no front plate on it's own. They'll use it as a reason to pull you over if they think you're up to something and they want to check on you. It gives them probably cause whenever they want. That's why many will tell you the front plate is missing and illegal but will let you slide. They'll continue to have a reason to pull you over.

Worst time for tint is dawn or dusk. There's just enough light out that they expect to be able to see you. It also helps to have your moon roof shade open to let light into the interior of the car.

I've had tints on my cars for 25 years in CA. I've been pulled over before and given fix-it tickets too. I've always waited for the bail notice and just paid it. Most of the time, the tint job was worth more than the ticket.

3 years in this one and luckily, I haven't been pulled over. I think it's 20%
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no need to be worried about the tint cops rarely hassle you abt it and cali tint is great did u talk to peter? i got all my cars done there awesome work
Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
Some cops don't hassle you on tint or no front plate on it's own. They'll use it as a reason to pull you over if they think you're up to something and they want to check on you. It gives them probably cause whenever they want. That's why many will tell you the front plate is missing and illegal but will let you slide. They'll continue to have a reason to pull you over.

Worst time for tint is dawn or dusk. There's just enough light out that they expect to be able to see you. It also helps to have your moon roof shade open to let light into the interior of the car.

I've had tints on my cars for 25 years in CA. I've been pulled over before and given fix-it tickets too. I've always waited for the bail notice and just paid it. Most of the time, the tint job was worth more than the ticket.

3 years in this one and luckily, I haven't been pulled over. I think it's 20%
A few of my highschool friends are cops. It really helps out to get your ticket signed off without having to change the car.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Racer

I'm with I hate cars...
I have had several cop friends who will sign off a tints tickets as long as the windows are not too dark. They actually bag on the cops who would write you up.
I have found that in So. Cal., the absolute worst place to drive is on 101 north of Santa Barbara near
Andersons Soup...Turns out that this area is a training ground for all the rookie chippies
Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the all the info guys. I'm in LA (Marina del Rey/ Venice). I can't roll my windows down for two days b/c I just got the tint so I won't be driving this weekend I guess...lol - Although I accidentally rolled it down like 2 inches hopefully it doesn't f' it up...eeek
Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dmk112

I went with 20 on back/35 on front. I asked the guy and he said it's illegal but don't worry about it just roll your windows down... And it did look pretty light so I went for it. Once it was done, it looked darn dark out of the sun! I'm a bit nervous now that I'll be getting ticketed!

Although I've seen plenty of cars around with same dark tint. Cali residents, what has been your recent epxeriance? Being pulled over?? I'm in LA by the way but will be moving up to Bay area soon.
I'm in the Bay Area (San Mateo) and I've had 5% on the back and 20% on my front windows for over a year now and I haven't been pulled over once for the tint.

The one time i did get pulled over for rolling through a stop sign, the cop didn't mention anything about the tint. SO i guess it's completely your luck.

Just keep your windows rolled down at least half way. it doesn't get that cold in the Bay anyways.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:35 AM
5th Gear

I have 20 on the back and 35 on the sides of my Nissan Z for 5ish years and no probs here in the bay area. I think the consensus here is about right... 1) if you're being an ass, they will ass you back and hit you for the tint, and 2) if the cop wants to be an ass you're gonna get the ticket regardless.

Oh and speed secret for removal... douse with windex, cover with large plastic garbage bag, leave it in the sun for 30 min, and peel off in one piece. =) Do keep an eye on it though. You don't want it to dry out completely and on a 110 degree day 30 min may be too long.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dmk112

That's where I got my tint done as well. They should really hold up a black piece of paper behind the samples because the white wall makes them look a lot lighter than they are. Also the tint will get a little lighter after it dries compeltely. I got their 45% tint and I have no worries about driving pass cops with my windows up.
Generally it depends what part of LA your in, I live in the westwood area and just about every high value car is tinted and cops dont seem to car. In the valley, it seems like more people are pulled over for tint.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
FWIW, when I lived in LA I had 20% front and limo rears. One time I was pulling into a 711, and bunch of LAPD was parked there chattign....

Right after I got out, one of the officers said, "Your window tints are illegal, and your exhaust sounds excessively loud. Personally I don't give a sh-t, but the chippies might hassle you."

I've never gotten a ticket for the tints while I was down there, but I did get a ticket for a no-front-plate. And it wasn't written by a cop. It was written by one of those parking enforcement folks. Got it while I was parked in J-town. I came back thinking, "Why the hell did I get a parking ticket?" Turns out it was a no-front-plate ticket.

(For non-californians, chippies = CHP = California Highway Patrol)
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
FWIW, when I lived in LA I had 20% front and limo rears. One time I was pulling into a 711, and bunch of LAPD was parked there chattign....

Right after I got out, one of the officers said, "Your window tints are illegal, and your exhaust sounds excessively loud. Personally I don't give a sh-t, but the chippies might hassle you."

I've never gotten a ticket for the tints while I was down there, but I did get a ticket for a no-front-plate. And it wasn't written by a cop. It was written by one of those parking enforcement folks. Got it while I was parked in J-town. I came back thinking, "Why the hell did I get a parking ticket?" Turns out it was a no-front-plate ticket.

(For non-californians, chippies = CHP = California Highway Patrol)
Ya me too, I got a fix it ticket while parked in SF by those meter maids. Does anyone know if meter maids ticket you if you have dark tints while parked? I wuold hate that.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, this thread almost made it to one year...

FWIW, I had 35% front and rears and still got picked off. Apparently the cop doesn't like KBP...

But hey, if you want to play, be prepared to pay.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have 15% in the front and 5% in the back.. had NO trouble for bout a full year then i recently got 2 =(
Old 09-22-2008, 07:29 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I got 5% all around. I got pulled over today, showed the cop my doctors note, and was on my way.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by ifirahse
I got 5% all around. I got pulled over today, showed the cop my doctors note, and was on my way.
hey man you got pulled over today???? Wtf!! I know you just got your tints a few days ago? How did the whole thing go with the note, what exactly did you say....well if you feel like typing it all out?!?!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos9827
hey man you got pulled over today???? Wtf!! I know you just got your tints a few days ago? How did the whole thing go with the note, what exactly did you say....well if you feel like typing it all out?!?!
This is literally the exact convo:

if anyone knows the area this was on olympic and oakhurst in beverly hills.

Cop: What's going on?
Me: What's going on?
Cop: The reason I'm stopping you is because I can't even see inside your car.
Me (in my head): HEHE...pimp
Me: Yeah they're tinted.
Cop: How dark are your windows?
Me: 5%, but I have a doctor's note. (I show him a copy of the note)
Cop: You sure this isn't fake?
Me: Um..yeah
Cop: So what do you suffer from?
Me: Photophobia
Cop: And what are the symptoms?
Me: I get a headache and start getting dizzy whenever I'm exposed to a large amount of sunlight for a long time.
Cop: So if I call your doctor he'll tell me what you just said.
Me: Yeah...

He walked back to his car. At this point he hadn't even seen my license or anything. Then he walked back like 20 seconds later (he tried calling but I guess no one picked up), checked my license, then told me to "get out of here".

Oh yeah, what I've learned is that whenever you're getting pulled over for anything, ALWAYS shut off the car, put the key on top of the dash, and put both hands on top of the wheel. 100% of the time it makes the cop feel much more comfortable and a more comfortable cop is a nicer cop. That's what I did today and the cop wasn't a total douche. I know distorted reality is a cop so maybe he can chime in if he sees this.

Last edited by ifirahse; 09-22-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 PM
2011 BMW 335i

This is literally the exact convo:

if anyone knows the area this was on olympic and oakhurst in beverly hills.

Cop: What's going on?
Me: What's going on?
Cop: The reason I'm stopping you is because I can't even see inside your car.
Me (in my head): HEHE...pimp
Me: Yeah they're tinted.
Cop: How dark are your windows?
Me: 5%, but I have a doctor's note. (I show him a copy of the note)
Cop: You sure this isn't fake?
Me: Um..yeah
Cop: So what do you suffer from?
Me: Photophobia
Cop: And what are the symptoms?
Me: I get a headache and start getting dizzy whenever I'm exposed to a large amount of sunlight for a long time.
Cop: So if I call your doctor he'll tell me what you just said.
Me: Yeah...

He walked back to his car. At this point he hadn't even seen my license or anything. Then he walked back like 20 seconds later (he tried calling but I guess no one picked up), checked my license, then told me to "get out of here".

Oh yeah, what I've learned is that whenever you're getting pulled over for anything, ALWAYS shut off the car, put the key on top of the dash, and put both hands on top of the wheel. 100% of the time it makes the cop feel much more comfortable and a more comfortable cop is a nicer cop. That's what I did today and the cop wasn't a total douche. I know distorted reality is a cop so maybe he can chime in if he sees this.
cool I usually just ride with the windows down but I wanted to know what to say if I do get pulled over, hopefully I don't tho.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got 35% all around, (I think?) and got pulled over recently, for the first time since I got tint like 2 yrs ago. Funny this cop pulled me over as I was practically pulling out of my driveway! I Live in santa fe springs.

This cop was a total diggitron public service tool douche bag. He had no REAL reason to pull me over, just handed me a three for one Saturday Morning Special; TINT, EXHAUST (GREDDY), AND NO FRONT PLATE.

I agree. I live with a cop. On top of this, it helps to completely roll all your windows down and turn on your interior lights if its dark out. that way, the officer can get a clear view of what's going on in your car, for that added piece of mind. all these things might just get you out of the "stupid" tickets. Unless the cop is a complete a$$hole.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced

What part of the bay area are you moving too? I live in Sonoma and work in Marin and I have not had any issues (knock on wood) with my window tint. 20% all the way around. I had CHP fill out a police report for a hit and run and he just asked me if I had issues with my window tint but didn't give me a fix it or anything. I think if your car is not modded or really noticable they will not hunt you down for window tint.