Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bye bye TL, welcome Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by 1GreyTeg
Thanks for clarifying my first question to you.

But my next question is, why then did you switch? Was it the build quality alone? Because the torque is intriguingly intoxicating imho. I actually seriously considered a 06 GT but had to remind myself that I needed to commute every day in it, and to business meetings, and in the snow, and carry occasional clients, etc...

I sold the Mustang GT for no other reason than I was able to drive it for 9 months and sell it for more than I paid for it (bought it under Ford X plan and sold it for about $500 less than the current MSRP). It's a fun car.....hellaciously fast with a "bad-ass" V8 rumble that puts many aftermarket exhaust systems to shame. Ride isn't as bad as you'd think. It doesn't ride nearly as well as the TL, though. Back seat is nearly useless.

While I never drove it in the snow, it would be imperative to have 4 good (and expensive) snow tires to get around in the white stuff.

Big guages on the inside made everything very legible. The My Color dash was fun for a little while (ability to changed the colors of the guages), but after about a month, I set the color and never changed it again. Mustang's ergonomics were good. Shaker stereo can't hold a candle to the stereo in the TL.

While I didn't have any issues with the Mustang, there were lots of reports of 1st year gotchas, which is typical of a GM or Ford.

TL's seats are way better than those in the Mustang. I had leather in my Mustang and can't be remotely compared to the leather in the TL. TL is also much roomier and way more comfortable, too.

TL is much quieter than the Mustang, as would be expected.

Considering the power, it's pretty amazing that only regular fuel was recommended. I got about 17 MPG in town and about 23 MPG on the highway.

Fit and finish in the TL outclasses the Mustang by a huge margin. Suspension of the TL is way more refined, too. Ford did a good job with the rear suspension, but it's still a solid rear axle configuration. I could get the rear to "step out" going over bumps.

No navi available in the Mustang, either.

All that said, short of a Corvette or an exoticar, there's very little that's stock that is faster than the Mustang GT. Even the GTO, with 400 HP, is about on par with the Mustang GT (plus the GTO is much heavier and looks like a bloated Grand Am).

You could commute in the Mustang. You need proper winter tires and there's no way to haul more than one adult passenger.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My brother bought a new accord V6 before my TL and after I got mine, he wished he would of bought a TL. For me, an Accord is a downgrade. Just an opinion.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 04 TL built in April 04. With almost 20,000 miles, I have no issues. The only rattle I have heard is the seat belt connector on the passenger's side if not turned correctly so it does not hit the plastic side panel.
I drove a 06 BMW 330i and it was a very nimble car. The only thing is its not as well assembled or ergonomically designed as our TL. Check out BMW forums. There are lots of complaints.
Lexus does make very nice cars. I have owned several including 98 GS300, 200 GS400 and our present 05 RX. They have nicer materials than Acura, and its a more prestigious brand. My TL is more fun to drive.
I'm waiting for the mid series refresh in 07 to trade for another TL. Its just a better car/deal.