Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a TL used? 2007? 2008? S or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:33 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying a TL used? 2007? 2008? S or Not?

hey, I'm planning on getting a TL, i was wondering what the difference between the 07 and 08 is, it seems like theres nothing different to me. also you guys think it would be better off paying more for a new one or 04-06's? is there any known problems about the older models or is the newer model better? also you guys think its worth the extra 4-5g for the type s? this is going to be automatic and used as a daily driver, nothing fancy. so I'm not too picky about having it as a base or type s, it doesn't really matter to me. i also heard theres lots of problems with the type s. any suggestions would be great and appreciated. thanks for reading.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
there's no tangible differences between the 07 & 08. i think your the only one that can answer the question as to whether to buy new/used and whether to buy the S/non S. Your 18, are you buying/leasing on your own or are you getting help? welcome to the 3G forums!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
who told u there are a lot of problems with the type s?? ... i have had mine for 8 months the only problem i had was not being able to drive it enough
Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Integra
hey, I'm planning on getting a TL, i was wondering what the difference between the 07 and 08 is, it seems like theres nothing different to me. also you guys think it would be better off paying more for a new one or 04-06's? is there any known problems about the older models or is the newer model better? also you guys think its worth the extra 4-5g for the type s? this is going to be automatic and used as a daily driver, nothing fancy. so I'm not too picky about having it as a base or type s, it doesn't really matter to me. i also heard theres lots of problems with the type s. any suggestions would be great and appreciated. thanks for reading.
I wouldn't buy an 04, most complaints I have heard are about 04's, the first change in generations.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:22 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by ggesq
there's no tangible differences between the 07 & 08. i think your the only one that can answer the question as to whether to buy new/used and whether to buy the S/non S. Your 18, are you buying/leasing on your own or are you getting help? welcome to the 3G forums!
my parents are paying it off, there tired of be driving 2dr coupes lol i wish i could of got the 06 TL, im not feeling the new 07 base tail lights =/ thanks for the welcome

Originally Posted by VQPower37
who told u there are a lot of problems with the type s?? ... i have had mine for 8 months the only problem i had was not being able to drive it enough
i went to the problems/fix section and i see a lot of posts about 2007 tl-s problems n etc, im not saving everyone of them has problems but their seem to be more posts of problems than the 07 base.

Originally Posted by FriscoNick
I wouldn't buy an 04, most complaints I have heard are about 04's, the first change in generations.
yea i was thinking about that, usually the first generations of each model have lil bugs n etc.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Instructor

If you're not picky about base or the type-s, just get the base. But, the Type-s is a great car. I've had mine for 8 months, and no problems here.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by blacktls07
If you're not picky about base or the type-s, just get the base. But, the Type-s is a great car. I've had mine for 8 months, and no problems here.
yeah, im leaning toward the base more than the type s, i wont be needing the upgraded suspension or extra hp, i wont be racing or anything and i wont be needing the navi either. it'll save me about $4000-$5000. the only things i like about the type s exterior wise is the rims and tail lights but thats no biggy.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Instructor

After driving a non-NAV TL today, I would say to get the Type-S if you can. The exterior is close to the same on both, but the interior is a huge difference. Much better on the TL-S. I was driving the base TL and was amazed it was even called a TL. Not to mention the added power and better suspension. Base is smoother, but lacks character.

Take a rinde in a base TL. Take a rinde in a TL-S (ebony/silver interior). You'll see the difference immediately.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Instructor

People have told me the seats on the TL-S are more comfortable then the base. I honestly can't tell but I guess some people can.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by MRP Pete
After driving a non-NAV TL today, I would say to get the Type-S if you can. The exterior is close to the same on both, but the interior is a huge difference. Much better on the TL-S. I was driving the base TL and was amazed it was even called a TL. Not to mention the added power and better suspension. Base is smoother, but lacks character.

Take a rinde in a base TL. Take a rinde in a TL-S (ebony/silver interior). You'll see the difference immediately.
What are the differences in the interior? like i said earlier not gonna be driving crazy or anything with it so i doubt i need the upgraded suspension. smoother ride is defiantly something i want. i am currently driving a RSX, slammed to the floor basically and its pretty much not anywhere near smooth =p. Is the only difference is the color of the interior? because i prefer all black over black/silver.

Originally Posted by blacktls07
People have told me the seats on the TL-S are more comfortable then the base. I honestly can't tell but I guess some people can.
hmm as long as those base seats feel good than im good to go. dont need to be that comfortable hehe
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 AM
Banned

There were problems with early builds on 2004's, if you call Acura and give them the vin they can tell you if that particular vehicle was affected by the transmission recall or not. They corrected it in 2004 during production, so only early 2004's were affected by this. There is no bulletproof car, but I have over 80,000 on my 2004 late production TL and its been absolutely fine. That being said if I had the money to buy a 2007/8 I would have.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have type s since april no problems so far 3100 miles on the dash....

If you don't like the tail lights you can buy them... there is a group buy on here for the tail lights and the side markers

If you like the base non navi... you should be able to get one for a great price new and low millage used 07 model should be couple thousand difference

I think you should go type s... the suspensions takes anything you throw at it... as long as the weather permits such...

I went from a 2000 civic with tanabe sustec pro coilovers... dropped 2" infront 2.25" rear the type s handles equally with non of the camber
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by Smoof15
There were problems with early builds on 2004's, if you call Acura and give them the vin they can tell you if that particular vehicle was affected by the transmission recall or not. They corrected it in 2004 during production, so only early 2004's were affected by this. There is no bulletproof car, but I have over 80,000 on my 2004 late production TL and its been absolutely fine. That being said if I had the money to buy a 2007/8 I would have.
ya i thought first year of so would have problems or bugs to be fixed. thanks for the heads up, ill stay away from the 04's.

Originally Posted by stillhere153
I have type s since april no problems so far 3100 miles on the dash....

If you don't like the tail lights you can buy them... there is a group buy on here for the tail lights and the side markers

If you like the base non navi... you should be able to get one for a great price new and low millage used 07 model should be couple thousand difference

I think you should go type s... the suspensions takes anything you throw at it... as long as the weather permits such...

I went from a 2000 civic with tanabe sustec pro coilovers... dropped 2" infront 2.25" rear the type s handles equally with non of the camber
hehe i wouldnt spend money out of the way to change the tail lights though. ya i love the suspension i have on my rsx, its really good on turns n such but i dont think i would be needing it a lot. as long as it doesnt feel like im bout to flip over on a turn ill be happy.

you guys think a 07 n 08 would cost the same right now? i know someone working at a acura dealer so ill be getting a hookup as well. also to base owners reading, hows the suspension on the car and what year is your car? is the suspension on 04-08's the same on the base model? thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
type-s all the way,totally the same but different car. resale value is better,it's better to have navi/hp and not need it,then need it and not have it,and the two tone and all the toys got me. i went in to the dealer drove a tl(i intended on buying a non-s a-spec) but after a 10 min drive with the s i said i'll take it..........

btw get a new 07 if you wanna save some $$$ the 08's are out so 07's are old
Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by subbuzz
type-s all the way,totally the same but different car. resale value is better,it's better to have navi/hp and not need it,then need it and not have it,and the two tone and all the toys got me. i went in to the dealer drove a tl(i intended on buying a non-s a-spec) but after a 10 min drive with the s i said i'll take it..........

btw get a new 07 if you wanna save some $$$ the 08's are out so 07's are old
the 07's n 08's are the same tho lol. might get it for cheaper too as well.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... also to base owners reading, hows the suspension on the car and what year is your car? is the suspension on 04-08's the same on the base model? thanks.
The '07 TL base is supposedly a bit softer than previous models, due to the introduction of th Type-S in '07. Personally, even the base 07 TL is too firm for me; I'm coming from an Acura Legend which was a bit softer. But that's the price you have to pay for improved handling, I guess!

Where are you located?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Advanced

the 07's n 08's are the same tho lol. might get it for cheaper too as well.
If you're in Calif, send an email to Cedric Page and demand a Type-S for $33,000 he'll get it for you... he's email add is cedricpage@sbcglobal.net

He's a good guy highly recommended!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 AM
WDP TL

I got a slightly pre-owned 06' saved a bit of money and is as good as new... except for a tiny tiny scratch in the back.. but once i get the aspec underspoilers, you will not see it.

OH! but a bad thing is the hands free link thing... i have some of this dude's numbers set in it... I could call his mom if i wanted to.. or some guy named steve... he has a funny voice..
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The '07 TL base is supposedly a bit softer than previous models, due to the introduction of th Type-S in '07. Personally, even the base 07 TL is too firm for me; I'm coming from an Acura Legend which was a bit softer. But that's the price you have to pay for improved handling, I guess!

Where are you located?
heh well coming from a rsx, its gonna be a little weird and different for sure.
im located in sf, you?

Originally Posted by usc55
If you're in Calif, send an email to Cedric Page and demand a Type-S for $33,000 he'll get it for you... he's email add is cedricpage@sbcglobal.net

hmm? what is he? a Acura salesmen? where is he located at? is that price even possible? isnt invoice on a type s around 35000? would they really go lower..?

Originally Posted by i am i2
I got a slightly pre-owned 06' saved a bit of money and is as good as new... except for a tiny tiny scratch in the back.. but once i get the aspec underspoilers, you will not see it.

OH! but a bad thing is the hands free link thing... i have some of this dude's numbers set in it... I could call his mom if i wanted to.. or some guy named steve... he has a funny voice..
well the thing is if a used one is only a few g's lower with like 20k miles i rather pay the extra g's to get it new. thats where im coming from.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by usc55

That must be for an automatic, right? I know there were tons of automatic Type-S that were on the lot when I bought mine a month ago, but finding a manual was tough.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:24 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by cbptls
That must be for an automatic, right? I know there were tons of automatic Type-S that were on the lot when I bought mine a month ago, but finding a manual was tough.
well im looking for a automatic so that works out for me lol
Old 08-12-2007, 03:28 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

oh i have a question, is it possible that i buy a car from southern cali and have it delivered over here to north cali? they seem cheaper down there than up here. anyone know how much it would cost to deliver and how would the paper work and everything be done if i do this? thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heh well coming from a rsx, its gonna be a little weird and different for sure.
im located in sf, you?
I'm still having a hard time getting used to the firmer ride. It's awesome on the curves, but on the freeway, not the smoothness I was hoping for, and freeways is where my driving lies, sadly ...

I'm in the East Bay. I have <500 miles on my Carbon Bronze Pearl '07 TL, black leather interior, Navi, auto. I paid $32,375 plus TTL, etc for an out-the door price of about $35,375 four days ago. I know selling it will cost me a fortune but I may be tempted to do so. Keep me in mind as you shop around!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 AM
2007 Acura TL-S

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm still having a hard time getting used to the firmer ride. It's awesome on the curves, but on the freeway, not the smoothness I was hoping for, and freeways is where my driving lies, sadly ...

I'm in the East Bay. I have <500 miles on my Carbon Bronze Pearl '07 TL, black leather interior, Navi, auto. I paid $32,375 plus TTL, etc for an out-the door price of about $35,375 four days ago. I know selling it will cost me a fortune but I may be tempted to do so. Keep me in mind as you shop around!
oh i aint worried about that, i get use to any car very easily. iono man 33 for a TYPE S thats a deal right there. kinda worth it for me to go down there to grab one.