3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a TL, how should I get it from Virginia to NY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Elegance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a TL, how should I get it from Virginia to NY?

Im in NY, can i use the guy im buying it from license plate as long as i insure it, or would this be a problem if i get pulled over? Virginia wont allow me to get an in transit temporary license plate and neither will NY...NY dmv told me to look at it, buy it THEN come back when i get the title register it then go get it...but thats a ton of money spent doing the traveling. any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im Not In New York But I Drove To Maryland From Virginia To Buy My Tl Two Weeks Ago And Am Currently Running Maryland Temp Tags From The Dealer Till Everything Gets Dealt With At Dmv
Old 08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If it's a private party you can't use his license plate as it would need to be registered to him, but at title signing, it's your car, and then it would need to be titled in NY, and then driven back.
Don't know if you've already paid for the car, but if that's the case, have him sign the title and send it via mail. Get the paperwork/insurance taken care of in NY, and then you can drive the car home.

As it's FWD, use a tow dolly to pick it up and get it home. Should be easy as long as you have a vehicle that can tow the car, or just have a company pick it up but this will be costly.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would ask the dealer for a temp dealer tag for you to transport the car out-of-state. A dealer tag is different than a temporary or non-resident tag. You can easily buy the car in virginia and have them register it for New York. I have done the opposite by buying 3 cars in NJ and the dealer has registered each of them in Virginia.

What dealer are you trying to purchase from?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Elegance

its a private party, i didnt pay for it yet, havent even looked at it...i cant tow it, im driving it back...the insurance company told me to use his plates...ill get the title sent to me AFTER i get the car. there is a lien on it and I will get the lien release when he gets the check. then the title will be sent to me within a week.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess that'll work if he lets you use his plates. If I were in his situation I don't konw if I would go for that. As it happens I have a friend who works for NY DMV. I sent him an email asking for suggestions. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from him.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by Anansi
I guess that'll work if he lets you use his plates. If I were in his situation I don't konw if I would go for that. As it happens I have a friend who works for NY DMV. I sent him an email asking for suggestions. I'll let you know if I hear anything back from him.
awesome thank you.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by lavo
its a private party, i didnt pay for it yet, havent even looked at it...i cant tow it, im driving it back...the insurance company told me to use his plates...ill get the title sent to me AFTER i get the car. there is a lien on it and I will get the lien release when he gets the check. then the title will be sent to me within a week.
If I were the seller, I certainly wouldn't allow the car to be driven with my plates on the vehicle, and if I were the buyer, I wouldn't leave without the title in hand.
His intentions may be above board, but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable handing over the cash for the car and not receiving the title, unless you know the seller. Normally, after making prearrangements, both could visit the lending institution that has the title, give them the balance owed, and receive the title.
Now after you arrive, you may get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the deal will go without a hitch, but just keep some options open.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
CHECK WITH YOUR DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES

I know in VA (check with NY) you can get a one time use tag for transport of a purchased car from one location to another. This is just a piece of paper that you print out and then you drive the car with no plates. If you get pulled over, the paper you show the cop is legal and they just let you go. I forget exactly what it is called but see if NY does something like this..

I used this when I bought a car in NC...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Found your answer

From the NY DMV website (scroll about 3/4 of the way down for this section)
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm

In-transit Permit (Temporary Registration)

Can I get a temporary registration to move a vehicle within NYS or to another state?

The NYSDMV does not issue temporary registrations. The DMV issues an in-transit permit (MV-639ITP) that you can use to move a vehicle from one location in NYS to another location to register it. An in-transit permit is a paper permit that you display in the rear window of the vehicle.

The DMV issues an in-transit permit only for a vehicle that you recently purchased or received. You cannot use an in-transit permit to replace a current registration, a registration that expired within the last year, or to extend a registration. Use the current registration or renew the registration if it expired within the last year.

You cannot renew an in-transit permit. You cannot get a second in-transit permit if the first in-transit permit for your vehicle expires.

There are two types of in-transit permit:
  • Intrastate In-Transit Permit -- The permit is valid for 30 days and allows you to transport a vehicle from one location in NYS to another location in NYS. For example, you need an intrastate in-transit permit if you buy a vehicle from a seller in another part of NYS and you need to transport the vehicle to your home before you register it. The fee is $10.
  • Interstate In-Transit Permit -- The permit is valid for 30 days and allows you to transport a vehicle from New York State to another jurisdiction to register it. For example, you need an interstate in-transit permit if you buy a vehicle in NYS, but you reside in another state or you move to another state, and you plan to register the vehicle in the other state. The fee is $10.
Important information for Massachusetts residents: Massachusetts (MA) does not recognize the NYS in-transit permit. According to the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles, you can receive a ticket for no registration if you use an NYS in-transit permit in MA. This also makes the insurance on the vehicle not valid. MA authorities can impound the vehicle for no valid insurance. For more information, contact the MA Registry of Motor Vehicles.

To apply for an intrastate or interstate in-transit vehicle permit you must provide:

Proof of insurance. Normally, you must show a NYS Insurance ID Card as proof of insurance. If you use a form FS-75, FS-76 or FS-77 Insurance ID Card, you must show it to DMV within 7 days after it was prepared. This type of insurance ID card must have "in-transit" or "in-transit permit" printed or written on it, and you must provide an In-transit Cancellation Authorization form (this is not a DMV form) from the insurance agent or broker who prepared the card.

If you are not a resident of NYS and you apply for an interstate in-transit permit, you can provide a letter or an insurance binder from an out-of-state insurance company, agent or broker instead of a NYS Insurance ID Card. The DMV cannot accept a letter or insurance binder for a resident of NYS.

A letter must be on the company, agent or broker letterhead. The letter must contain all of the following information:
  • the name and address of the agent, broker, or producer
  • the name of the insurance company,
  • the policy number and expiration date,
  • the effective date of the policy,
  • the name and address of the insured person,
  • information about your vehicle that includes the VIN, make, and model.
If the document is an insurance binder, the "Automobile Liability" section in the center of the form must be completed and a box for "Any Auto", "All Owned Autos" or "Scheduled Autos" must be checked.

All insurance ID cards must be original documents. A letter or an insurance binder can be an original document or a fax sent to a DMV office by the insurer. Photocopies are not acceptable.

Proof of Ownership: Read the information about proof of ownership. If you apply for an interstate in-transit permit, the DMV office returns the proof of ownership after it is examined. If you apply for an intrastate in-transit permit, the DMV office keeps the proof of ownership to issue a NYS title certificate.

Proof of Identification: You must show your proof of identity and date of birth. If another person brings your application to the DMV office, that person must follow the requirements for a second party application.

Sales Tax: If the applicant for an interstate permit is a NYS resident, the applicant must provide proof of sales tax payment or purchase price and pay any tax at the DMV office.

Application Form: Complete form MV-82ITP (In-Transit Permit).

Also required for intrastate in-transit permits only:
  • Sales Tax -- Proof of sales tax payment or purchase price to pay the tax at the DMV office.
  • Title Certificate Fees -- Pay the title certificate fee of $50.00, plus an additional $5.00 for each lienholder listed on the title certificate.
  • Vehicle Registration -- After you move the vehicle to the final location in NYS, apply for a registration at a DMV office. Use form MV-82. Pay the fees for the registration documents and vehicle plates. The DMV then issues your vehicle plates and registration documents to you.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^ pointless info he has no title... just go to uhual... rent a dolly if you have a vehicle with a tow hook... if not get one... pointless for you to risk getting pulled over with unlegit plates... you won't be able to get an in transit since you don't have the title... what you shuld do is uhaul it back to ny...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How mad is it up in VA & NY. Can't you just drive without a plate or with 'Tag Applied For' piece of cardboard in its place? You see that all of the time down here and nothing ever happens.
-OR-
Take the plate off whatever you are driving now and put it on the new car and then drive it back.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Dude don't advise someone to break the law... it would be less costly to just go to uhaul then to risk having the car impounded plus summons' (plural cuz you will get 3 or 4) plus possibly having ur liscence suspended...

New York laws are strict... with the luck people have he will get pulled over in his county 5 minutes from home
Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If buying and transporting a car you have not seen or driven- from a private party- and no statement of mechanic checked it out and all is well...plus going to their bank to pay off the lien/loan and then the paper has to go thru DMV- then to you to go stand in line to register

Under no cicumstances do you ever give money to a person and believe they will go take care of it for you lol-
go direct to their bank and get the real info- otherwise you will pay X but the bank wants another 150 or 1000 and the guy wont pay it- guess who is screwed
you got no paperwork thatyou own that car- because you DONT

If I really wanted to sell my car in this situation- I would be happy to help with the driving or some way to assist getting it to your house

This smells bad for a reason folks
Why dont you look in the Black Market section here- Private Sales- for a good used car- you can even post for what you want

These out of state deals where you cant go and run home after checking car out- thats just not thinking ahead- way to many issues involved if your not a car dealer
Old 08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
RacinLife

I would simply drive the car, I know down here we can use our plate to transport with a valid bill of sale and insurance. You could even find a tow company that will usually run ya 1.00 a mile
Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW... Remind to never drive without a plate in NY. There are some areas of Atlanta where you see more cars with out tags than with them. Also, here in Georgia when you buy a car from a dealer they put a temporary flimsy piece of plastic with a white sticker that has a handwritten expiration date and an official sate hologram. I have seen some new cars form other states that just have the dealer advertisement plate and no official markings or expiration dates.
Also-
What happens if your tag gets stolen off your car? Can you not drive it until you get the replacement?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Elegance

well heres the update:

NYS DMV said i can use his plates to come home, he has agreed to let me also.

I spoke with his credit union and they said they will notarize the bill of sale and the lien release, so he cant screw me and i cant screw him.

I wont get the title for 4 weeks because virginias DMV is slower at getting the title released and processed. (the dmv and bank said this)

As for registering it, i cant register it until i get the title so it will be off the road for a bit...that being said the bank said this is a normal process where you dont get the title right away, UNLESS he did a lien release 4 weeks prior to selling. No matter what though the bank holds the title, and by having it notarized we should have no problems. tell me what you think about that..
Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Elegance

Good news, the guy just sent me an email and said they will file an emergency release on the title and i will get it on friday, 4 hours after the loan is paid off...ill still notarize everything but now ill come home with the title in hand...very exciting now
Old 08-09-2007, 05:14 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Go straight to the dmv as soon as you get home hehehe

PS. NEW YORK STATE DEALERS give you plates off the lot, not some piece of paper you get aluminum plates lol random 3 letters and random 4 numbers, what you do get is a temporary registration sticker, but if you go to the dmv you get a real one in like half hour depending on the lines

Post up pics when you get it back to nyc good luck
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM
RacinLife

just drive it!