3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which enhances gloss the most? Z-2 or Z-6?
Z-2 polish builds the gloss the best!
26.67%
Z-6 gloss enhancer is the reason!
73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Which builds gloss the best? Z-2 or Z-6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Zaino under fingernails

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which builds gloss the best? Z-2 or Z-6?

Which product do you feel does the most to enhance the gloss on your Zaino'd car - the Z-2 polish or the Z-6 gloss enhancer?

Thanks for participating!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Z-2 and Z-6 perform different fuctions.

Z-2 is a polish that is applied and removed like a wax. Z-6 is a spray (like water) that is immediatly removed and is intended to enhance the polish process and also it acts as a binder for Z-2 or Z-5 polish.

Also, Z-6 can also be used as a quick-clean provided the car is not dirty or dusty.

For those who are informed, I don't think this thread makes sense... "Not hating, just educating"

Mike Smeezy,
Zaino Master
Old 04-03-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vffr1
Z-2 and Z-6 perform different fuctions.

Z-2 is a polish that is applied and removed like a wax. Z-6 is a spray (like water) that is immediatly removed and is intended to enhance the polish process and also it acts as a binder for Z-2 or Z-5 polish.

Also, Z-6 can also be used as a quick-clean provided the car is not dirty or dusty, but without applying Z-2, Z-6 won't do a hell of a lot.

For those who are informed, I don't think this thread makes sense... "Not hating, just educating"

Mike Smeezy,
Zaino Master
Old 04-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Zaino under fingernails

Mike,

I have both products. I have put two coats of Zaino on both cars we own (TL and Pilot), and the Pilot has been washed more since being coated with Zaino and Z-6'ed after washing. It has a higher gloss than the TL, which makes me wonder if the Z-6 isn't the product that improves the "glossiness" factor over time.

So, in this instance I think the poll makes sense.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by BrandHdriver
Mike,

I have both products. I have put two coats of Zaino on both cars we own (TL and Pilot), and the Pilot has been washed more since being coated with Zaino and Z-6'ed after washing. It has a higher gloss than the TL, which makes me wonder if the Z-6 isn't the product that improves the "glossiness" factor over time.

So, in this instance I think the poll makes sense.

I completely agree, but both products need to work in unison, not one vs. the other. Maybe I read the post wrong (I did), but I thougth they're asking which product shines better? If you use Z-6 with polishing, your shine won't last and wont bind to the polish.

Now if the question is does Z-6 inhance the affect of Z-2: absolutly.

As I mentioned in my post "Zaino for Dummies" I state that Zaino polish (Z-2 or Z-5) makes the paint appear shiny and deep while Z-6 makes the paint appear wet and glossy.

Thanks for the post.

Mike Smeezy,
Zanio Master, De Jour
Old 04-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation ZFX Mystery

Originally Posted by Vffr1
As I mentioned in my post "Zaino for Dummies" I state that Zaino polish (Z-2 or Z-5) makes the paint appear shiny and deep while Z-6 makes the paint appear wet and glossy.
Mike:

I got my Zaino "care package" today. $120 worth. But the amount of ZFX Special Effects Curing agent was miniscule. It is about 1/4" in the bottom of a tiny little vial smaller than my little finger. Is that all there is? Did it leak out? Even if that little vial was full, it has to be just a couple of mls. I know the instructions call for like 10 drops per application but still. It must be worth its weight in gold. Jeez!

Do you think I should clay bar my brand new vehicle upon delivery? It was painted three days ago. (I don't have it yet). Should I tell the dealer to give me the car with the plastic on it; that I will detail it myself? Or is that too anal?

Anal, fer sure. :facelick:
Old 04-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Zaino under fingernails

xpditor42,

In case vffr1 doesn't check back in, I'll give you my $.02 worth.

In general, I think the Claybar is the secret weapon in the Zaino system. It gets the paint absolutely squeaky clean before polish application. That said, I don't think it's going to help a brand new car much.

I'd let the dealership go ahead and prep the car - they do it several times a day and aren't going to foul up a new car. Plus, you get that awesome feeling of driving it off their lot, looking perfect!

I waited five weeks and 2,100 miles before putting Zaino on my TL - my wife's '03 Pilot got the treatment first (so who's the boss at my house?). The Claybar didn't seem to drag across any "stuff" on the TL paint like it did on the Pilot, and I probably could have skipped that step.

Just wait til you see the shine on that NBP. You're gonna love it!!! Zaino really shows its stuff with darker paint. My wife's Pilot is the dark green (sagebrush) color, and the gloss on it is unbelievable. It's been washed twice by hand since Zaino treatment, and I used the Z-6 spray after washing, and each time it seems to look better than the last!

Good luck!

:p
Old 04-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Mike:

I got my Zaino "care package" today. $120 worth. But the amount of ZFX Special Effects Curing agent was miniscule. It is about 1/4" in the bottom of a tiny little vial smaller than my little finger. Is that all there is? Did it leak out? Even if that little vial was full, it has to be just a couple of mls. I know the instructions call for like 10 drops per application but still. It must be worth its weight in gold. Jeez!

Do you think I should clay bar my brand new vehicle upon delivery? It was painted three days ago. (I don't have it yet). Should I tell the dealer to give me the car with the plastic on it; that I will detail it myself? Or is that too anal?

It's 4-5 drops per ounce AT THE MOST. I Zaino'd for the first time yesterday and made two ounces, I did two coats and only used a little bit more than one ounce. If you are polishing in warmer weather, you can use less drops. It would be nice if you could buy the vial alone without the kit when you do use it up.

Are you sure it was only painted 3 days ago? If that is the case, and you are that anal, I would ask them not to detail it but don't polish it for a few months, just keep it clean then clay it.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation Experts advise....

I asked the same question on www.autopia.com which is dedicated to auto detailing and peopled by the pros.

To a man, they all told me not to let the dealer polish my car. Just let them clean out the interior from the production junk. They further said to "get it in writing that they won't touch it or you won't accept it. They can peel off the protective plastic, but then leave it alone."

When I was shopping in the back lot of my dealer, I saw "the boyz" washing the service cars with a long-handled brush and a bucket of soapy water. I shuddered to think of them doing that to my new car with its fresh painted black surface. My last car was 14 years old and never saw an automated car wash. It still looked showroom new when I sold it.

I would feel strange driving the new car home all yucky but maybe its best that I clean it myself with the proper equipment and that special ingrediant they don't have: love!
Old 04-04-2004, 10:49 AM
BOOK EM

I`ve used Zaino for a couple of years, and the Z2 is the ingredient that produces the most dramatic shine.
Z6 just increases it slightly
Old 04-04-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Mike:

As you most likey figured out, I'm anal too. Let the dealership remove the plastic but you may elect to wash the car yourself.

As far as the clay-baring and perform the Zaino process, since your paint is so new, I recommend waiting 6 weeks prior doing anything to that new car, and then you can perfrom the entire Zaino process.

To help you get through these tryng times, I would recommend you use Z-6 after each wash (kinda like drinking non-alcoholic beer for alcoholics).

As far as the ZFX, my vile was exactly 1/2 full and yes at 10 drops per 2 oz (you don't need that much), you can go through the ZFX pretty quickly. I have choosen to polish my car on warmer days, thus you really don't need the ZFX. But I do know there are days when the wheather donsn't cooperate, thus you could be forced to use ZXF (like I must do today-rats!) It's Sunday, and here it is foggy and somewhat cold, oh well.

Hope that answers your questions.

"I feel soon you will snacth the pebble from my hand Grasshopper"

Zaino Master

Mike Smeezy,
Old 04-04-2004, 12:35 PM
BOOK EM

Mike, as far as waiting to Zaino, thats no longer nesessary. Paint is "cured" after leaving the factory.
If the dealer can "burn and rub" their orbital into the paint, then we can APPLY Zaino with no worries.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Sal Zaino sez: Go 4 it!

Mike and Danno,

I asked Sal Zaino about using the products on new paint. He said:

"I am a custom painter by trade for over thirty years.
I am very familar with Dupont and PPG and all other paints.

Todays paint technology uses a chemical reaction caused by a catalyst
to cure the paint. Factory paint is fully cured in 36 to 48 hours.

Zaino contains no Wax, Harmful Silicones or Abrasives.....

The funny thing is that this same dealer who tells you to wait 30 days
before waxing, usually puts a coat of wax on your car when he preps
it. Sounds a little contradicting. Don't you think???

Polish your car as soon as you get it. That factory paint is already
cured and needs protection against airborne contaminants and UV rays.

Your paint is clear coat.... "

I couldn't ask for a more authoritative answer to my question. Now, I just have to keep the dealer's grimey crew away from it when it comes in.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

Why risk scratching new paint? The clay is to remove contaiments. I used on all my old cars but not on the new TL.