Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brushless Car Wash Safety

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brushless Car Wash Safety

How safe is it for the paint & wheels to put the new TL through a brushless car wash? Its going to be under 10 degrees F in NYC for the next week or so and the car is way dirty. Too cold to wash outside by hand. Is it better to leave it dirty or to run it through the car wash? I see high-end cars going to the car wash that I am thinking about but dont want to end up with scratches on this new paint or have the wheel scraped against the track that pulls the car. Maybe I am being too paranoid I dunno....
what are your opinions?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Nicki:

Given the low profile of the wheels, I'd be VERY cautious of a touchless that either "pulls" the car through or forces you to drive into a stop.

I've simply found very few "touchless" that really are......
Old 01-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your turanzas have a lip that protects your rims unless you do something drastic. Put it through any car wash you have found satisfactory before. In the truly touchless the car doesn't move at all. A wand goes around and around. Some wash well some don't you have to try them out.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Brushless Car Wash Safety

Yes, our wind chill is finally going below 0 soon. And, there are some sleet or snow coming, R U sure you'd like to wash car now?

For the rim/wheel issue, I find out the car wash I've chosen is pretty safe with them. There is no scratch so far. (I don't know others. Some of stores have the higher rails which may damage rims.)

There should be a couple of hand-wash stores in the city. They won't use big brush to rub your paint. $7-13 around in Queens.

Two guys use the high-pressure water to initially clean your car. (I know someone hates this...) Then, use brush to clean your wheels only. Four men staying in the tunnel to hand-wash your car with some soft cloth stuff... That's the only store I can find...

Actually, I'm going to wash car later...
Old 01-09-2004, 05:08 PM
BOOK EM

If its a QUALITY wash, I might do it, what color is your car? Light color probably. Dark..............mmmm, your call.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Instructor

If it is way below 32F, I would not bother washing. The solid salt encrustation on the car looks ugly, but it is not going to hurt the paint when it stays solid and the temperatures are low. We are heading south of -15F tonight here; too cold to be walking outside, let alone washing my car .
Old 01-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Brushless Car Wash Safety

Originally posted by rets
Yes, our wind chill is finally going below 0 soon. And, there are some sleet or snow coming, R U sure you'd like to wash car now?

For the rim/wheel issue, I find out the car wash I've chosen is pretty safe with them. There is no scratch so far. (I don't know others. Some of stores have the higher rails which may damage rims.)

There should be a couple of hand-wash stores in the city. They won't use big brush to rub your paint. $7-13 around in Queens.

Two guys use the high-pressure water to initially clean your car. (I know someone hates this...) Then, use brush to clean your wheels only. Four men staying in the tunnel to hand-wash your car with some soft cloth stuff... That's the only store I can find...

Actually, I'm going to wash car later...
Where in queens is that car wash? Is it the one on horace harding near utopia east bound? what do you think about the one on northern blvd near Best Tire?