Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brucedeb1's Wood Dash Kit Pics

Here they are posted with bruce's permission

his tl is a Anthracite/Quartz/5AT/Navi/no carbon fiber

I think the look great, IMO.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:13 PM
IVY LEAGUE

a little to excessive and gaudy by my taste....to each his own...
Old 05-06-2004, 07:33 PM
100k miles club

the dome lights and the shifter are the best parts that i liked when i saw it in person
Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Nicely done, but I don't like it. Wood in a sports car is nasty. Especially that color. And especially adhesive stick on wood.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Racer

I don't like it at all
Old 05-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

The wood in the TL blends in with the camel and parchment interiors but that yellowy-tang is really rude against quartz. My '00 RL had an ebony interior with deep cherry wood accents.....because the cherry wood is deeper and the black 'swirls' in the grain help accentuate the dark flavor, it looked tasteful. This particular shade of walnut just doesn't work against the darker interiors.....better to trust Tokyo and their brilliant design team than Uncle Bruce and Aunt Deb from Nebraska methinks.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I think the wook kit looks hot except for one thing. The way that particular kit is made, the wood area for the navi doesn't like official because it doesn't totally connect which lets people know its an add on. The dealer had the exact kit on a tl in the showroom and I pointed that out to them. They said they also other kits but didn't have them at the moment.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Can that be a done in a cherry wood? My ES300 has a cherry wood on a gray interior and it looks really nice.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:10 PM

ES/Camry is gross please crash it.

Thx. :p

J/k... But sell it. Seriously.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

Anybody got any pics. of this kit in a parchment interior? I for one would love to see it.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

I'm not feelin' it.. fake wood + aluminum is not too hot
Old 05-06-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Nicely done, but I don't like it. Wood in a sports car is nasty. Especially that color. And especially adhesive stick on wood.
Your right, wood in a sports car is nasty. SInce the TL is NOT a sports car, it looks okay.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ken7
Can that be a done in a cherry wood? My ES300 has a cherry wood on a gray interior and it looks really nice.
Lexus=real wood. Acura=fake plood. Since it's plood, I am sure aftermarket kits will be in different hues.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:05 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SOrry to be very rude but it's ugly. Fake wood all over the car interior is so cheap and seems all the elegance is gone.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of wood! Personally I think it is a little too much (just cuz they sell you 30 pieces don't meant you got to use 30 pieces!), but I can see where it could add a little more elegance to an already elegant interior...key word being "little". Of course I have the Camel interior and I agree the wood blends better than with quartz.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Racer

I have a parchment interior and the plood looks terrific. I added all the pieces myself and actually hides the POS aluminum trim that the TL comes with. Does anyone not have scratches on their aluminum trim if they've had the car for more than a few months?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Racer

For those that have grey or black interiors, gray burlwood is available and should look great - better than the carbon fiber race car look in a luxury car.

Seriously considering it. I added a little to my Solara and it made a LOT if difference in the feel of the interior. I added - Radio, shifter and window control pcs. That's all. It looked great. I would do roughly the same for my TL, and cover the ugly aluminum strip over the glove box.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Advanced

That would be my TL,no scratches,not allowed to drink or eat or do much more than sit.. :lol2: (more wifes car than mine)We dont thrash our cars or drive them much,2850 miles a year is about what we average.On the wood dash I guess if the owner thinks it's cool then it's fine,I would not have done it but it's not MY car,You never know I might put something on my car that you guy's would not approve of..spinners..cuz they be spinnnen.. :lol2: :lol2:
Old 05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

Originally Posted by boltjames
The wood in the TL blends in with the camel and parchment interiors but that yellowy-tang is really rude against quartz. My '00 RL had an ebony interior with deep cherry wood accents.....because the cherry wood is deeper and the black 'swirls' in the grain help accentuate the dark flavor, it looked tasteful. This particular shade of walnut just doesn't work against the darker interiors.....better to trust Tokyo and their brilliant design team than Uncle Bruce and Aunt Deb from Nebraska methinks.
Sorry but I need to set the record straight, I am not from Nebraska. Not there is anything wrong with Nebraska, but I am taking your message to imply that we are hicks or something. :thefinger
Far from it. As has been said many times, to each his own. The pics do not accurately depict the actual colors of both the Quartz or the plood. They really do look good together.
A number of our fellow members have been able to view my TL and the plood look. Lots of nice comments both in person and on this board.

To respond to your question about choices of plood colors, on the website exoticwooddash.com, there are now a multitude of options for you to choose from.

Can't we all get along? This forum is great but for one thing. Too many times certain members drag a thread to the bottom of the barrel with their sarcasm or stupid comments. Let's make a strong effort to not direct the posts in a personal attacking kind of way
Okay I am off my soap box for now.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brucedeb1,

Where did you get the wood trim kit from?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Team Anthracite Chairman

hey brucedeb1...you're my boy! i don't care, do what you like and if you are happy with it, im happy for you..would i do that to my car?...hmm...probably not, but all i gotta say is thanks for sharing your car and your taste with the community!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:33 AM
Drifting

looks classy
Old 05-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Team WDP Surgeon General

Originally Posted by gregory28
I have a parchment interior and the plood looks terrific. I added all the pieces myself and actually hides the POS aluminum trim that the TL comes with. Does anyone not have scratches on their aluminum trim if they've had the car for more than a few months?
If you have any pics I would love to see them. I have parchment and would consider some additional wood. It seems to match the existing stuff well.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:21 AM

Got the plood from.....

Originally Posted by cullal
Brucedeb1,

Where did you get the wood trim kit from?
I had ordered the original replacement pieces that come OEM in the interiors of the Parchment/Camel from the parts dept. at the dealer prior to receiving my car. Then had the dealer take out the Black Carbon pieces and install the OEM plood pieces upon the delivery. The cost for this was about $800. Then once I took delivery I ordered the additional plood kit from exoticwooddash.com and had that installed. Since then exoticwooddash.com is now offering an add on kit that is an overlay for where the Black Carbon pieces are in addition to the optional color choices in each kit being offered. They are having a sale on the add on kit these days as well.
Wish I was getting a kickback from exoticwooddash.com for each kit that has been sold since I began promoting what I added to my TL.
Bruce
Old 05-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Racer

I'm with Hal - There's so much aluminum in the dash, that it doesn't look right with the wood. The aluminum also detracts from and clashes with the Parchment and Camel interiors.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by MyJohnson
I'm with Hal - There's so much aluminum in the dash, that it doesn't look right with the wood. The aluminum also detracts from and clashes with the Parchment and Camel interiors.
You don't know what you're talking about.

The aluminum is used sparingly and adds just the right modicum of pizzazz to the natural leather interior choices. I've owned Legend/RL products since 1992 with camel/wood combinations and the black dashtop just wasn't enough to make the cockpit special. By adding the strip of aluminum to the dash, the aluminum to the door handles, and the aluminum trim rings to the speakers the TL has the needed 'pop' that the Legend/RL never had. Considering this car is geared towards a younger more sporty customer, they did a great job in this area.

Where Acura screwed up is in the non-natural leather interiors. By putting deep grey carbon fiber against the aluminum in the quartz/ebony offerings, all the emphasis goes to the shiny metal and nothing goes to the carbon fiber. Thus the reason why folks like Nebraska Bruce have to bring some wood into the mix....

BJ
Old 05-07-2004, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Your right, wood in a sports car is nasty. SInce the TL is NOT a sports car, it looks okay.
Last I checked it was an luxury sports sedan. Either way, its still gross in the TL.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:48 AM

POS aluminum trim? Its real aluminum coupled with carbon fiber. It looks hell of a lot nicer than plood or interior in competitors like the G35's plastic world. The TL is a benchmark for interior design when it comes to all of the cars in its class simply because they use high quality interior materials like real metals and carbon fiber, not plastic.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

POS aluminum trim? Its real aluminum coupled with carbon fiber. It looks hell of a lot nicer than plood or interior in competitors like the G35's plastic world. The TL is a benchmark for interior design when it comes to all of the cars in its class simply because they use high quality interior materials like real metals and carbon fiber, not plastic.
Come back and school us veterans on your TL opinions when you've crossed 100 miles on the odometer, okay rookie?

"Real" carbon fiber? Ha ha ha! That's like saying your keyboard is made from "real" plastic.

You don't need to like the wood. You can think your car is a 'sports' car. The reality is that the TL is about a terrific blend of sports and luxury. The interior has enough 'sporty' aluminum and lighted control surfaces as well as enough 'luxury' in the leather and wood.

As you get ready to fill the gas tank for the first time and get to page 80 of the owners manual you'll develop even more opinions. Feel free to share them with us as you gain more experience with your TL. Until then, b-bye.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:58 AM

I don't understand why you have to be so rude about it. I think that owning the car gives me the right to my opinion on it. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it, nor have an opinion on it. I never said it was strictly a sports car, and if I did, I corrected myself. I said it was a luxury sports sedan... sounds like a little of both to me. Either way, coupling wood with alumnim, to me, looks crummy. If you want the full luxury effect you should have gotten an ES, not a TL. People who buy the TL aren't only buying it for the luxury. If they were, like I said, they would be more interested in the ES.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

I don't understand why you have to be so rude about it. I think that owning the car gives me the right to my opinion on it. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it, nor have an opinion on it. I never said it was strictly a sports car, and if I did, I corrected myself. I said it was a luxury sports sedan... sounds like a little of both to me. Either way, coupling wood with alumnim, to me, looks crummy. If you want the full luxury effect you should have gotten an ES, not a TL. People who buy the TL aren't only buying it for the luxury. If they were, like I said, they would be more interested in the ES.
You're challenging me on 'rudeness' and then say my interior looks 'crummy'. What is your point exactly?
Old 05-07-2004, 10:55 AM

I wasn't making any point against you. I was just saying that my opinion shouldn't be any less "right" for the amount of time I had my car. I love the interior and wouldn't add wood because I think it looks 'crummy' inside. Thats all I was saying.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:55 AM
Instructor

well i've seen Bruce's interior up close and personal. Let me first say that im 23 and love the carbon as it is. When Bruce first showed me pictures of the plood against the aluminum, i thought it clashed so much. I said its nice but not my style. Gave him his respect and end of that.

Then one day he happened to be in my neck of the woods and i got to see it up close and personal. Pictures dont do it any justice. You dont really even notice the aluminum. But in the end... everything in this world is nothing but an opinion.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Is there a cherry wood available? I think that might look really good with the gray and black interiors.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:41 PM

I'm sure its available. I guess I just don't like wood because I am young. But my dad does have a Lexus RX with black interior and OEM cherry wood, and its nice.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Racer

I'm sure its available. I guess I just don't like wood because I am young. But my dad does have a Lexus RX with black interior and OEM cherry wood, and its nice.
Exoticwooddash.com has a cherry wood color (medium burlwood) for the dash kits, but currently they do not offer it for the TL. They do offer a grey burl synthetic and a darl burl REAL wood kit. These both should go well with the Quartz and silver trim. I am currently putting a "cherry" wood in my wifes 4Runner in the grey interior (much like our Quartz. If it turns out well, I plan to put in the dark burlwood kit. The dark burlwood is a dark brown with the grain almost black. I have sample and it looks great in the car. The brown tone will add some warmth to the all grey interior, but is very understated. This kit will not cover the carbon fiber. I would have to buy a second kit to do that.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:00 PM

Last I checked it was an luxury sports sedan. Either way, its still gross in the TL.
What car is a luxury sports sedan?
Old 05-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Osteoman
If you have any pics I would love to see them. I have parchment and would consider some additional wood. It seems to match the existing stuff well.
Sorry, I don't have any pics. It's been brought up here a few times: The on-line pics don't look like the real thing anyway. You need to go to a dealer and see it in person. The internet distorts colors. Case in point, go to Acura's website and look at the Deep Pearl Green color. It's a minty looking color. When you see the DPG in person you'll realize that it's a dark rich color which looks almost black at night and hunter green in the sunlight.

Brucedeb's pics don't show you the true richness of the combo. He's a great guy by the way, and has offered to drive to show strangers his interior. He told me about the online merchandiser of plood kits.

I find it laughable that BJ is so dogmatic and rude. The internet is the only place that he can be the Executive of something.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Osteoman
Sorry, I don't have any pics. It's been brought up here a few times: The on-line pics don't look like the real thing anyway. You need to go to a dealer and see it in person. The internet distorts colors. Case in point, go to Acura's website and look at the Deep Pearl Green color. It's a minty looking color. When you see the DPG in person you'll realize that it's a dark rich color which looks almost black at night and hunter green in the sunlight.

Brucedeb's pics don't show you the true richness of the combo. He's a great guy by the way, and has offered to drive to show strangers his interior. He told me about the online merchandiser of plood kits.

I find it laughable that BJ is so dogmatic and rude. The internet is the only place that he can be the Executive of something.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:41 AM

Thanks to Eul and Gregory

I appreciate your kind words and comments. This Forum has helped me in many ways. Especially with Service issues. When I make my offers of assistance it is with this in mind. This is a great opportunity for us to help each other with give and take of ideas. Especially if we can help a fellow member have an easier time with accomplishing something that may have taken a lot of work or effort on our part but be able to save them.
Bruce

Quick Reply: brucedeb1's Wood Dash Kit Pics