Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brother 6mt accord blew

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:59 PM
REDBULL///AMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brother 6mt accord blew

i know this isnt a TL but here goes guys, dont flame me, my bro has a 04 accord couple 6mt navi, and he recently got a knock (taping) in the engine, he took it to honda and come the find out, theres a "computer" in the car that that tell the dealer what happened. so heres the dealer telling him that the car hit 8992 RPM on a downshift from 5th to 2nd for 3 seconds and thats what caused it. they said honda voids his warranty becouse of the info his comp put out. luckly im good friends with the mechanic that did it. had him talk to the manager. he ended up payin the 500 deductable and car still warranteed. now is it tru the TL has this too? im sure it does anyone have any bad experiences?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats scary. didnt know they could read into it that deep.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you should have had them show you what they read before you paid anything. most likely they are full of shit, and made 500 bucks off you
Old 12-22-2005, 07:39 AM
REDBULL///AMG

no they actualy had a print out of everything, top speed of the vehical, date it was done, for how long, the engie temp, the outside temp, the rpm it was at etc..... and i mean this is a good friend of mine he wouldnt lie to me. i heard of a guy who broke 140 in his TL and had trouble servicing it on this forum back in my 04 TL days, but im not too sure who it was. i was sold honda put them in their s2000's, civic SI's and their 6spd accords. im guessing acura is doing the same for the TL, TSX, RSX,and NSX
Old 12-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Horny.

Originally Posted by 06 Acura TL
i know this isnt a TL but here goes guys, dont flame me, my bro has a 04 accord couple 6mt navi, and he recently got a knock (taping) in the engine, he took it to honda and come the find out, theres a "computer" in the car that that tell the dealer what happened. so heres the dealer telling him that the car hit 8992 RPM on a downshift from 5th to 2nd for 3 seconds and thats what caused it. they said honda voids his warranty becouse of the info his comp put out. luckly im good friends with the mechanic that did it. had him talk to the manager. he ended up payin the 500 deductable and car still warranteed. now is it tru the TL has this too? im sure it does anyone have any bad experiences?
Does the manual advise against down shifting at certain RPM, speed?

If not, then Honda should and will be liable for the the damage.

If it is spell out in the manual, then your brother is.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would expect they have something like this. esp, in manuel trans. cars...

not a surprise to me..
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
That doesnt sound right. Whether AT or MT, I thought Hondas (and most cars nowadays) have rev limiters that prevent the engine from running into the "dangerzone" (so to speak).
Old 12-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Horny.

Originally Posted by whatwasthat
i would expect they have something like this. esp, in manuel trans. cars...

not a surprise to me..

Don't expect. Assumption is dangerous.

Go look if you have one.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 AM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by F23A4
That
doesnt
sound right. Whether AT or MT, I thought
Hondas
(and most cars nowadays) have rev limiters that prevent the engine from running into the "
dangerzone
" (so to speak).
Rev limiters cut spark/fuel as you accelerate. If you downshift, there is no way to limit engine speed as it is just a simple mechanical connection. If your going 85 mph and drop it into second gear, the engine will spin whatever speed that gear and road speed correspond to.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:50 AM
3rd Gear

Red face

I can speak from experience to let everyone know that there are systems in the car tracking your driving conditions, based on my experience (6spd 05 TL). I was having some fun one day on the highway and downshifted and hit the rev limiter, the engine cut off the gas so I knew I goofed and had to go back to the next gear to continue the fun (next time I will turn down the radio so I "hear" it as well as "feel" it and don't make the same stupid mistake again).

The next day my check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer. They called me 2hrs later to inform me that "someone" downshifted at an extreme rate of speed from 5th to 4th and this triggered the rev limiter (they new the speed I was driving at!). They had to reset something to get the light to shutoff on the dash.

The minimal work was covered with no charges, but the service guy gave me a major guilt trip about abusing the car. Personally, I think if you have this car with a 6spd and you don't run it hard you are not having enough fun, but he didn't agree with my comment.

They definitely know how you drive, be aware (I try to stay away from the redline now).
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Advanced

What would happen if you disconnect the battery and reset the cpu then take it to the dealer? Could they still retrieve the info? Or is there a backup battery that would still let them see if abuse/mistake/over revving were made while driving?

hmm..
Old 12-22-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALPHSTER
What would happen if you disconnect the battery and reset the cpu then take it to the dealer? Could they still retrieve the info? Or is there a backup battery that would still let them see if abuse/mistake/over revving were made while driving?

hmm..
if you have the prper tool you can remove any code from the computer
Old 12-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
That doesnt sound right. Whether AT or MT, I thought Hondas (and most cars nowadays) have rev limiters that prevent the engine from running into the "dangerzone" (so to speak).
I believe that the TL owner's manual says something to the effect that the rev limiter does not operate on a downshift. I'm not able to check at this moment as I don't have the manual handy, but I'm pretty sure I saw it in there.

The reasons are explained further up the thread.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Racer

Yes there are tools if you have a pda or a laptop
http://www.autotap.com/#AutoTap
http://www.digimoto.com/
I have autotap and love it.

The computer does have a memory fuse. Also tied in with the radio memory.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Banned

Did we signed a "release of privacy" document when we took possession of our cars??
Old 12-22-2005, 10:54 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

This is no surprise to me.. I knew this already. But the TL's memory fuse can be located, I've pulled mine before and it reset EVERYTHING. I just wonder if it resets that type of thing?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I believe that the TL owner's manual says something to the effect that the rev limiter does not operate on a downshift. I'm not able to check at this moment as I don't have the manual handy, but I'm pretty sure I saw it in there.

The reasons are explained further up the thread.
Is this true for AT? I thought the computer would not allow you to downshift on AT TL if the lower gear would over rev the engine. Personally I have not tried this in sport shift on my AT.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro

This is exactly how internet hoaxes are created.
My wife's 6 speed Accord coupe's speedo stops at 8k. How'd they get 8992??
Old 12-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree about internet hoaxes and such. I'm not trying add validity to this thread, but don't think that just because the gauge cluster only goes up to 8000, that the computer can't track RPM beyond what the cluster maxes out at.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:40 PM
F1 cart racer

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
Rev limiters cut spark/fuel as you accelerate. If you downshift, there is no way to limit engine speed as it is just a simple mechanical connection. If your going 85 mph and drop it into second gear, the engine will spin whatever speed that gear and road speed correspond to.

werd when my dads tl blew a tranny it went from 5th to 1st gear then hit second gear and locked into second. 1st gear was tacked out past 8K, scary.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:42 PM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by HiTEC
I agree about internet hoaxes and such. I'm not trying add validity to this thread, but don't think that just because the gauge cluster only goes up to 8000, that the computer can't track RPM beyond what the cluster maxes out at.
Not true. The ECU can register the engine speed, probably to 9999 rpm. I find nothing unbelievable about the story.

As far as automatics go, they will not select a lower gear that results in an over-rev condition.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Banned

I dont find anything unbelievable, I just look forward to the first lawsuit.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TCMS
I dont find anything unbelievable, I just look forward to the first lawsuit.
lawsuit for what?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Instructor

u guys who think this story is not tru, u must have no owned a MT car... if u think about it, ur in 2nd and floorin it all the way up to redline and shift to third and take that gear all the way up too, ur at about 7000 rpm ~110 mph. stop and think here, if theoretically, ur car was in 2nd gear, 100 mpg would be at about 9000 rpm if not higher. now, the driver accidentally shifts to 2nd gear at 100 mph, there is nothing to stop the engine from spiinin that high, the rev limiter cannot limit a 3000 lbs car from making the engine spin at 9000 rpm....
now if you car is an automatic, the ecu would NEVER misshift like that, so thats y u guys think it cant be tru, but in reaity, its just the auto ecu doin its work.

p.s. about the car, the Honda is no M3, its not tuned to the limit, so ur friend should be covered, try takin it to another dealer.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcjin2007

p.s. about the car, the Honda is no M3, its not tuned to the limit, so ur friend should be covered, try takin it to another dealer.
reguardless if the cars tuned to the limit or not they don't cover stupidity..........insurance does.....
Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Not true. The ECU can register the engine speed, probably to 9999 rpm. I find nothing unbelievable about the story.

As far as automatics go, they will not select a lower gear that results in an over-rev condition.
I'm saying the same thing you are, please read my post again. I'm saying the computer CAN probably track beyond what the cluster reads to, the cluster is just a cluster.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by A_UFO
Is this true for AT? I thought the computer would not allow you to downshift on AT TL if the lower gear would over rev the engine. Personally I have not tried this in sport shift on my AT.
I don't know; I never paid any attention to the AT portion since I have the MT.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

comming from a RSX-S i read this alot on other forums. when you miss-shift it is hard coded into a log in a way in the ecu and it cant be erased. so from 6 to 2nd is possiable and will fuck you up he prolly say the tach all the way up there and clutched in too late. the motor is basically crap now. prolly going to be some cyclinder damage and valve train damage maybe the knocking you hear.

it happends all the time when people pistol grip the shifter, which isnt the proper way to grip it or at least not the way it should be held.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TXXXX
Does the manual advise against down shifting at certain RPM, speed?

If not, then Honda should and will be liable for the the damage.

If it is spell out in the manual, then your brother is.
the consequences from downshifting from 5th to 2nd is common sense. if you learned how to drive a manual tranny then you should be well aware of this. The manual is not designed to teach you how to drive. the manual doesn't say alot of things that you shouldn't do(the manual doesn't say not to drive the car underwater). usually the car blackbox doesn't lie and if his brother did in fact hit 8992(which is very possible in a MT) then the warranty is void.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Instructor

It Didn't Say Not To Smoke While Changing The Fuel Filter.....the Car Blew Up...can I Sue Now????????
Old 12-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

In the US, I'm sure there are plenty of scumbag lawyers out there waiting to take your case and hit that big jackpot for themselves.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:19 PM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by HiTEC
I'm saying the same thing you are, please read my post again. I'm saying the computer CAN probably track beyond what the cluster reads to, the cluster is just a cluster.
Sorry about that, sometimes are start thinking about a response before I completely read the post.

Cheers!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry about that, sometimes are start thinking about a response before I completely read the post.

Cheers!
Yes... I do that way too often myself.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Horny.

Originally Posted by caball88
the consequences from downshifting from 5th to 2nd is common sense. if you learned how to drive a manual tranny then you should be well aware of this. The manual is not designed to teach you how to drive. the manual doesn't say alot of things that you shouldn't do(the manual doesn't say not to drive the car underwater). usually the car blackbox doesn't lie and if his brother did in fact hit 8992(which is very possible in a MT) then the warranty is void.

That's why this thread is here. Genius.

I have a stick shift car, a C5 Corvette coupe. The manual specifically said: " Do NOT down shift below 4th gear when travelling over 100mph."
Old 12-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro

scary thought, i have hit 120..... is my warranty voided?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
If you look at the tire inflation section of the manual, it tells you at what pressure the tires should be when for speeds higher than 100. So if they have recommendations about such high speed in the manual then I think your warranty is ok.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
Not in my opinion... the car is made to go 155....

BUT, if you were doing 70 and dropped the clutch in first gear just to see what happens... then probably yes...
Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 AM
REDBULL///AMG

yea, no i wouldnt lie bout the situation, i tried the battery thing and belive it or not, didnt help one bit. they still picked everything up. according to the mechanic(my buddy) theres no way u can do it. its constantly adding new info. but like u guys say. i kinda feel like i have a parent watching my every move. im kinda scared to push my 06 WDP 6spd
Old 12-23-2005, 03:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TXXXX
That's why this thread is here. Genius.

I have a stick shift car, a C5 Corvette coupe. The manual specifically said: " Do NOT down shift below 4th gear when travelling over 100mph."
ok then that makes it safe, so if i was going 99mph i can drop that bad boy into 2nd right, cause the manual didn't say nothing about that....yay time to sue!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by caball88
ok then that makes it safe, so if i was going 99mph i can drop that bad boy into 2nd right, cause the manual didn't say nothing about that....yay time to sue!!!!
Actually I am going from memory here... but there IS a section that says when you should shift the 6MT... and it is about 45 mph into 6th...
SO... you are warned if you read between the lines...

Quick Reply: brother 6mt accord blew