Sponsored by:

Bright Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bright Lights?

07 TL-Type S

So when i turn my bright lights on the fog lights come off and the stock hid's itself just gets brighter. The bright lights themselves don't come on just the hid stay's on and get's brighter. Anyone else had this problem??
Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
It's not a problem. The cutoff in the low beams goes higher when you hit the high beams, making more light come out of the projector higher. It's an efficient way to get functional high beams with only a marginal additional load on the electrical system, and very capable of flashing all day. No need for an additional spot for a halogen and reflector, or having to worry about hot restrikes on HID lamps. It's a vastly superior option to standalone high beams. The 9005 bulb adjacent to the projector is for the DRL's only, even though its capable of being high beams.

Mosts states allow a max of 4 forward facing lights. With any OEM vehicle, the fog lights should turn off with the high beams, even if they come from the same point.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

weird cause it never used to do that before. just started today
Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
pretty sure thats normal. the 04-08 TL's have bi-xenon HIDs. the low beams and high beams are one closed component. when you pull the stalk to activate the high beams, a shutter moves out of the way exposing more light from the low beam unit. on the 07-08s, the DRL goes out when the low beams come on and stay out until the low beams are shut off.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert428
weird cause it never used to do that before. just started today
You are crazy because what you explained is exactly how it's supposed to function on our cars. When you say "weird cause it never used to do that before, just started today" chances are you barely noticed it today.

When you turn your HI-BEAMS on your headlights don't get 'brighter'. A shield that is blocking the light simply moves out of the way and allows the HID lights to shine more upwards. When you turn the HI-BEAMS off the shield comes back into place and blocks the light again so you don't blind oncoming traffic or cars in front of you.

When your HI-BEAMS turn on, your fog lights turn off. That's 100% normal. There's a way to get your fog lights to stay on while your HI-BEAMS are turned on but you will have to do some re-wiring to the electrical system.

On other cars with regular halogen bulbs, when you activate the HI-BEAMS the bulb actually indeed does receive more voltage therefore it does actually light up BRIGHTER...

With HIDs it doesn't receive more voltage because it's already bright as fuck. It uses a shield to direct and block light. So when you use your HIGH-BEAMS don't expect for the headlights to become x3 times as bright because that's simply never going to happen on a bi-xenon headlight system... What you will get instead is light that shines high up (into trees and way farther down the road ahead of you)
The following users liked this post:
JmannTLs03 (06-09-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

^^^ thankss good info! I understand now. No wonder i hear some kinda of metal moving every time i flash my high beams.

Say if i wanted to swap my factory hid's to 8k with an aftermarket bulb and ballast, would that feature still be there??
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by sixsixfour
pretty sure thats normal. the 04-08 TL's have bi-xenon HIDs. the low beams and high beams are one closed component. when you pull the stalk to activate the high beams, a shutter moves out of the way exposing more light from the low beam unit. on the 07-08s, the DRL goes out when the low beams come on and stay out until the low beams are shut off.
Also to add where the DRLs are on the 07-08 models that's where the fogs are for the 04-06.

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
You are crazy because what you explained is exactly how it's supposed to function on our cars. When you say "weird cause it never used to do that before, just started today" chances are you barely noticed it today.

When you turn your HI-BEAMS on your headlights don't get 'brighter'. A shield that is blocking the light simply moves out of the way and allows the HID lights to shine more upwards. When you turn the HI-BEAMS off the shield comes back into place and blocks the light again so you don't blind oncoming traffic or cars in front of you.

When your HI-BEAMS turn on, your fog lights turn off. That's 100% normal. There's a way to get your fog lights to stay on while your HI-BEAMS are turned on but you will have to do some re-wiring to the electrical system.

On other cars with regular halogen bulbs, when you activate the HI-BEAMS the bulb actually indeed does receive more voltage therefore it does actually light up BRIGHTER...

With HIDs it doesn't receive more voltage because it's already bright as fuck. It uses a shield to direct and block light. So when you use your HIGH-BEAMS don't expect for the headlights to become x3 times as bright because that's simply never going to happen on a bi-xenon headlight system... What you will get instead is light that shines high up (into trees and way farther down the road ahead of you)
^This.

^^^ thankss good info! I understand now. No wonder i hear some kinda of metal moving every time i flash my high beams.

Say if i wanted to swap my factory hid's to 8k with an aftermarket bulb and ballast, would that feature still be there??
Yes. But 8000K bulbs will put out less lumens (brightness) than stock (4300k). Definitely would be crap in adverse weather, not to mention an aftermarket ballast more than likely will fall sooner than the OEM one. I'd say save yourself some time/money an invest in some knew HID bulbs (OE not aftermarket). Philips or Osram your pick.

No one never realizes ever time and HID bulb is used it grows dimmer over time (its very gradual), which I say is the reason many are shocked/surprise when they change their bulbs (many are the originals) w/ aftermarket bulbs in a higher color temp. I've seen in first hand with cars of the same generation (TL for example, b/w an 04 and 08) you can tell who drives more at night. The 08's where clearly brighter.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

Bro dont do that. If the Fog lights is an issue and u want them on all the time regardless if the high beems are on or not check this thread out.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-029-diy-07-08-3g-tl-independent-hid-fog-lights-stock-switch-798978/

Its what I did cause I wanted my Fogs on even if my Headlights weren't on
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
You can change the bulbs to whatever you want. Of course the high beams are still going to work.

Replacing them with anything above around 4200K, or not using quality D2S bulbs is not wise. Cheap aftermarket bulbs are generally VERY poor quality and horribly dim. The higher in color temp you go, the lower the light output is, typically.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
There's no reason for the fog lights to be on when the high-beams are on because you shouldn't be using your high-beams in the fog. They make it very difficult to see because they reflect off the fog. That's a major reason why they don't come on together—the idea is that if you need to turn on your fog lights, you'd need to turn off your high-beams. (Although I must say I've sometimes used my fog lights in heavy rain when I was having trouble seeing the lines on the road and in that situation the high-beams might have been OK to use had I had the road to myself.)