Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2007 KBP Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Brand New 2007 KBP Type-S

Hi everyone, thanks again for all the input with various mods, etc. I am now a brand new owner of a 2007 sexy KBP Type-S. Initial impressions, this car is FAST. I knew TL's had power, but man could this car pull! Around corners, this car just sticks to the ground. For a FWD? NOT too shabby, not too shabby at all! Now, with all that said, here are a few kinks that I ran into during delivery.

1)The fan controls when I got the car didn't work, and still don't. ( In the shop at Rosenthal Acura now)

2) The brembos..well...weren't brembos at all! The rotors were warped and pulsated the car like mad.
(The car was PDI last June and has been "sitting" since. Word of advice, next time always find out when the car was PDI before you buy. Have them do a new PDI on the car before you take delivery. No cost to you of course. )

3) The top rear brake light housing was completely fogged up. No biggie, but for 37500, that's unacceptable.

4) Interior was dirty with oil stains and spots. The guys at Rosenthal didn't clean this up as well. Rushed the job.

5) Horrific gas mileage. Avg 14MPG? This is gonna hurt my wallet if it continues like this.

So I am now waiting final verdict from Rosenthal in Gaithersburg, Maryland on how they want to deal with this. My last TSX had horrible problems too, from ratteling to warped rotors, to electric failure. I love Acura, but having been to the dealership 15+ times is just wrong. Don't you think? What are your thoughts and experiences on the TL Type-S?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 PM
TL SL ML :)

If the car was in that shape at delivery or the day of (after driving it home)...I would have taken it straight back to the dealer and got them to take care of it and/or discount the car for the minor problems etc
Old 07-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced

I'm working on fighting with American Honda to work out some kind of deal. I agree, this is ridiculous. Thanks for your input though.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aliang01
Hi everyone, thanks again for all the input with various mods, etc. I am now a brand new owner of a 2007 sexy KBP Type-S. Initial impressions, this car is FAST. I knew TL's had power, but man could this car pull! Around corners, this car just sticks to the ground. For a FWD? NOT too shabby, not too shabby at all! Now, with all that said, here are a few kinks that I ran into during delivery.

1)The fan controls when I got the car didn't work, and still don't. ( In the shop at Rosenthal Acura now)

2) The brembos..well...weren't brembos at all! The rotors were warped and pulsated the car like mad.
(The car was PDI last June and has been "sitting" since. Word of advice, next time always find out when the car was PDI before you buy. Have them do a new PDI on the car before you take delivery. No cost to you of course. )

3) The top rear brake light housing was completely fogged up. No biggie, but for 37500, that's unacceptable.

4) Interior was dirty with oil stains and spots. The guys at Rosenthal didn't clean this up as well. Rushed the job.

5) Horrific gas mileage. Avg 14MPG? This is gonna hurt my wallet if it continues like this.

So I am now waiting final verdict from Rosenthal in Gaithersburg, Maryland on how they want to deal with this. My last TSX had horrible problems too, from ratteling to warped rotors, to electric failure. I love Acura, but having been to the dealership 15+ times is just wrong. Don't you think? What are your thoughts and experiences on the TL Type-S?
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. As far as the gas mileage, don't worry about it. My TL-S got poor gas mileage for about 1000 miles and then it improved. I'm getting about 25 mpg 75% highway miles. Regarding number 3 above, maybe next time you want to check the car over good before taking delivery. Helps to bring a friend to look it over while you are talking to the sales guy. When I bought mine, the one I test drove and was going to buy had a 2 inch scratch on the drivers side roof. I asked for a different one and at delivery the dealer made sure to allow me enough time to look it over good before driving off.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Instructor

WOW..that is weird. I just purchased my 2007 KBP TL Type-S last saturday and mines is in excellent shaped. I actually got the last blue. I had bought two cars from rosenthal acura till now both of then have been perfect. Knock on wood. Hope you can get all your problems taken care of soon. OHHH i agree with you the KBP is a very sexy car, since saturday I have gotten so many compliments that i lost track..
Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Racer

I love my KBP...

I did not have any of your problems... You should definitly bring it back and get these all fixed.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
congrats on the new car! did you test drive the vehicle before purchasing it? reason I am asking is the fan controls & the brake problems (accepting your version of the events) would have been discovered? also, when taking delivery of the car, you didn't notice the the tailights or the oil stains and dirt? your mpg should get better as the car gets broken in. the dealer should fix all of these under warranty.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Racer

He was probably so excited with the new car that he didn't do an inspection on the delivery......understandable.........I almost did the same thing......

But I made sure to inspect my car from bumper to bumper before leaving the lot with it......

Good luck with all of your issues.....you'll love the car once everything is resolved
Old 07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced

ok ok. so day 3 of no TL-S. I called Rosenthal Acura yesterday, my service advisor was 'out' and I was not notified until 5PM when the service center closes at 6PM. WTF? ON top of that, they called and said they haven't even STARTED on the car, and that they'll need to keep it till today! So I called back this morning, and my advisor was 'out' again! And if that wasn't enough, another random guy was sitting in, and said he'd call back in twenty. It's been a friggin hour already. So maybe I'm using this thread to blow off some steam, but Acurazinates, don't go buying from Rosenthal Acura. Their service couldn't be worse. The loaner they gave me was also filthy to say the least. I thought Acura was a premium dealership? Go buy a lex.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
NBP REPRESENT

Thumbs down Rosenthal Sucks

I got my NBP Type S in March and I have been goign back and forth from ROsenthal for the past 4 months...

I have had numerous problems with the vehicle, mostly cosmetic....

I have not posted on here because I was not sure how much longer I was going to have this car because I HATE DEALING WITH THESE ISSUES. I want to get out of it and get an M3.

I am currently in a dispute and my car is over at Rosenthal right now, I am supposed to pick it up tonight.

Talk to Steve Benack (service manager) and Walter...(Sales Manager)

Also Justin Meeks is the Acura Client Services Rep. 18003822238 X115047

I have had all these parts replaced...

Driver door mirror
Driver Sun visor
Passanger door mirror
passanger sun visor
Rear seat leather
Front passanger speaker
Passanger seat
Driver door trim
Battery replaced

Currently my sunroof is having work done to stop a rattle
My Subwoofer housing is getting more insulation to stop a rattle
I found a couple bolts on the floor when I got my car back and they are from my driver door.

Ive had other parts replaced, but it is tooooooo many to rememeber

The window can be pulled up and down with my hand.

I am tired of wasting my days off from work dealing with this.

This is my 3rd Acura and I hate it.

First I had a 1994 Acura Legend
Second is my 2001 CL-S which I still have now.

I have had problems with my AEM CAI Rattling against something.
I have had my tint removed twice because a police officer screwed up my repair order and my registration is currently suspended because of it. The Black Acuras are cursed.

They have already paid one months payment for me, and they are still going to give more after I am satisfied that my car is fine.

Dont stop till you get enough.

Is your advisor Ted Winfield? Hes on vacation
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got a KBP type-S as a loaner... handles much better than a base tl.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Racer

That is absolutely unacceptable……….I feel for you guys………I don’t know what I would do in a situation like that…….the Marine side of me would just come out and whoop someone’s @$$……
Something has to be done…….
Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
B A N N E D

You just paid $37,500 OTD for a new Type S?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Igor911
You just paid $37,500 OTD for a new Type S?
Please don't start a snobby price war.

To each their own what they pay. If he wanted to pay $50k then that is fine.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Advanced

37,500 is not that great of a price. They are going for 35,500 to 36,000 OTD here in MD.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 AM
Cruisin'

14MPG? I think it's just a break in period. Check how many miles it can get for a full tank of gas. I think at least 200+
Old 07-27-2007, 07:54 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Originally Posted by Spartus
37,500 is not that great of a price. They are going for 35,500 to 36,000 OTD here in MD.
35,500 OTD???

That would be like 33K before tax, title, etc... no f-ing way....
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Spartus
$35,500 is impossible. I went to 4 dealers and the best price I could get was $36,000 OTD

And that was selling the car to me at $34,100 (w/ 2 accessories) + taxes and reg. fee's
Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Advanced

my friend bought a TL-S from Frankel for 35,500 OTD with a moonroof visor and body side moldings.

everything is possible if you put time and effort in, especially on an 07 model when 08's are in.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced

BTW, I negotiated the price for him and to received many quotes from dealers as far as Ohio. Frankel matched another dealers price for me as they did in 01 when I bought my TL from them and gave us 2 free accessories into the deal.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Hi everyone, sorry I've been off the board for awhile battling Acura. No easy task I tell ya. So here's the current development.

After having the fan controls fixed on the 4th time, the bluetooth module died, navigation voice reg went to hell, power mirrors stopped working (resetted using HDS) and they replaced my Dash Board!

More problems listed:
Pulsation STILL at 70+ speeds (repaired 3 times)
Camber & Toe angles off: Charged $120 by ChevyChase Acura
Squeaky Driver's Seat: (Seat trak issue?)
Rattling Dash Board: Center Speaker
Rattling rear dash near sub: Maybe need wool or foam
Clicking when breaking/accelerating at slow speeds: (Cracked CVS boot?)
Front passenger door Map box pops out: Needs new door panel
Pulling sound from rear discs when e-break engaged and exiting car: Are all TLs like that?
Moulding pieces popping out/mis-fit

With this many problems, and numerous R.O. my attourney said, I see no substantial loss of use for your vehicle. The only thing that sticks out as possibly substantial is your pulsation to the front wheels. Bring it back to ChevyChase and have them address it yet again. I mean WTF? KBB says my car is at fair value 28K. Who the hell will give me that? Nobody once they see the service write-ups. Also, I bought this car in July, how do I get from 37K to 28K-?

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
dude they should have just given you a new car WTF!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
auto depreciation just shoots down in the first 6 months, although TL's have held their value very well. I can't believe 10K on the price has already been lost.

as for the actual car, get the dealer to fix every single thing on it. you'll be on bad terms, but you drive away with a hot type-S and satisfaction.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Pro

WOW . just crazy bad luck man cant believe you have had that many problems, they SHOULDVE given you a new car!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Only thing I have had a problem with is 3rd gear pop out with cold starts and the center speaker rattle. Will take car in for first check up/ oil change when i get close to 5000 miles only 1500 miles right now and have these other problems fixed , bought my KPB TL-S on 9/18

good luck getting everything fixed, hope your getting some nice courtesy loaners

oh and 14 mpg !!!!! wtf, i have been getting 20/21 consistantly with only 1500 miles and do mostly city type driving
Old 11-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced

As for mileage, it says 19/20 on the MDI, but seriously though...I get like 210 to the full tank. Pathetic. And I agree, I totally should have gotten either money back or a new TL Type-S. Now I feel like I'm driving a Buick or old crappy GM with a bit of power. I'm taking it to Chevy Chase on monday for clicking noises with CVS boot and axle, seat squeaks, and others. Will let you know what happens. I hate this. Miserable to the max. Do only TL owners complain this much? I don't recall seeing this amount of dis-satisfaction with other Acuras.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
wow, that is a bunch of problems. I;d give a bet that the navi drive or the navi screen was the cause of the malfunctioning A/C controls. The rattles are of a normal occurance and can be fixed with foam or felt. If you have the pulastion at 70+ check the air pressure and have the tires road force balanced. The clicking noise could loose bolts on the shocks, defective shocks, or it could be the control arms as well hiting something due to it being bent, hence the camber and toe problems. The front door pocket should pop out, but only about a few inches so you can put stuff in it, it shouldn't come completely out every time. As for MPG, do you use top tier premium fuel 91+ (shell, hess, etc.)? Have you gotten the first oil change done yet? If not oil changed, it will improve alot after oil change as the additives will be flushed out of the system, these are there to protect the motor. As for the rotors, this was the dealerships fault and most likely they messed up the rotors when putting back the tires on with due to wrong torque specs or in the wrong order of the lug nuts.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Acuras Only in

I feel your pain man .... from the sheer joy of getting a hot ride and then in & out of the serv. dept. nonstop ... (knock on wood) ... my second TL holds up alright so far after half a year & hopefully you get a resolution to your satisfaction ... good luck !
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Pro

As for mileage, it says 19/20 on the MDI, but seriously though...I get like 210 to the full tank. Pathetic. And I agree, I totally should have gotten either money back or a new TL Type-S. Now I feel like I'm driving a Buick or old crappy GM with a bit of power. I'm taking it to Chevy Chase on monday for clicking noises with CVS boot and axle, seat squeaks, and others. Will let you know what happens. I hate this. Miserable to the max. Do only TL owners complain this much? I don't recall seeing this amount of dis-satisfaction with other Acuras.
Sorry to hear about what you're going through On the bright side, KBP is my absolute favorite color!

Regarding the gas mileage you mention about. How are you determining you get 210 per tank? Are you going based off when your gas light comes on? Because you know it goes on when you still have 5 gallons left right? It comes on at 12, but we have a 17 gallon tank. I find the MID to be accurate for the most part (it's usually .5 - 1 gal higher the actual, which I figure is due to rounding).
Old 11-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Advanced

Wow ok let's see if I can answer all of them.

1) Mileage: I did an oil change, Mobile1 Full Synthetics & Mobile1 Filter. I judge total gas mileage from full till almost completely empty (+- 20miles). I filled up this afternoon 93(premium only) and a quarter of a tank gave me 43.5miles. This is really sad. Should I go reset A/F?

2) Brakes are fine now. They groan alot, but I guess with Brembos they do that. Stopping distance is amazing. I still feel pulsation to the tires but it differs so the road is also a factor.

3) Clicking noise: It's bugging the crap out of me. I really hope it's nothing too serious...or else the repair time is going to be pretty extensive. What made me mad was the first time ChevyChase looked at it, they told me that most TL Type-S does that and there's nothing they can do. How the hell is clicking while moving NORMAL? Sigh...

Also, as I was pushing it to about 4800RPM in gears 2-4, the tranny sounds like it's dying. A crunching, crackling noise comes from ...somewhere near the engine. It's intermittent so we'll have to see. And anyone hear bubbling noises from the exhaust or engine while going at slow speeds or up a hill? I know a Type-S with an exhaust doesn't sound like a bubbling exhaust that would come from a turbo car, e.g STi.

It's still an awesome car and I love it. Although I sat in a 335Xi tonight, and man from 60-80 it was like instantaneous!! SICK. That might be my next car. opps...said that out loud...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:45 AM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

hey congrats on the car, even though your having a few too many problems with it. GOoD choice on the KBP man, doesnt she SHINE like no other under the sun? The gas mileage bugs me too, I mean I should be able to do at least 250 miles before the light turns on and I barley do 210-220 with 3000 miles on the car. But Ive heard that after the first oil change gas mileage gets better. Anyway man good luck with the TL-S and have fun.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Igor911
$35,500 is impossible. I went to 4 dealers and the best price I could get was $36,000 OTD

And that was selling the car to me at $34,100 (w/ 2 accessories) + taxes and reg. fee's
Guys.... I bought my KBP '07 TL Type S 15 days ago. They had 4 left (2 blue 2 white TL'S) all were offered at $33,800. By the time I got there there were only the 2 blue ones left. They were stickered at $38,800 with a $5,000 rebate, which I used to get rid of the negative equitiy in my SUV. But... bottom line car was $33,800. Last I noticed they still had the blue one there, it has the light colored interior. King Acura, Birmingham Alabama. Ask for Barret.

I have small issues with it that will bring it back to the dealer soon. They have to replace the center arm rest as it came with a tear in it (???), I got the car with 34 miles on it, so how that happend, I just don't know. I have put 2200 miles on it and the car is a dream The GF and I took it to New Orleans this weekend and I averaged 29 MPG at 77 MPH on the HW. We did hit 125, man you can't tell the difference from 85 to 125. I ran out of highway or I was going to try for 140.

My center speaker in the front is making noise and I have a rattle in the drivers side front door. I have had SUV's for the last 10 years, I had a Saleen prior to that... Man do I miss driving.. I can't believe how much fun it is to drive again.

Chris
Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Update # (Uh...whatever number)

Took car to ChevyChase and test drove with Jack from service. Showed him squeaky seat, while sitting still! Also showed him clicking from breaking/accel at low speeds 0-15mph. He says it's the calipers having some slack to move around. Told me that the MDX is nutorious for that. I thought, sure...it's an MDX...but I have a TL. Anyways, I told him to check the CVS boot, control arms, shocks, springs, etc. Also showed him problem with rear deck rattling. He's gonna fix that for sure. Probably durafoam the living hell out of it. Also showed him knocking noise from engine. He told me to use different gas. I said, B.S. I live in downtown Rockville, Maryland where there are as many gas stations as there are starbucks. I've tried every gas. Something's not right. He was shocked. (Wouldn't you? ;-))
Old 11-05-2007, 01:42 PM
B A N N E D

Update # (Uh...whatever number)

Took car to ChevyChase and test drove with Jack from service. Showed him squeaky seat, while sitting still! Also showed him clicking from breaking/accel at low speeds 0-15mph. He says it's the calipers having some slack to move around. Told me that the MDX is nutorious for that. I thought, sure...it's an MDX...but I have a TL. Anyways, I told him to check the CVS boot, control arms, shocks, springs, etc. Also showed him problem with rear deck rattling. He's gonna fix that for sure. Probably durafoam the living hell out of it. Also showed him knocking noise from engine. He told me to use different gas. I said, B.S. I live in downtown Rockville, Maryland where there are as many gas stations as there are starbucks. I've tried every gas. Something's not right. He was shocked. (Wouldn't you? ;-))
I bought my type S from Chevy Chase also. Never been to their service dept tho...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Racer

take ir radley - at this point Acura should lemon it I would think.....
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Update again,

ChevyChase called back and said, seat creak? No problem there. Can't fix A/F Computer was reset, tires rotated X pattern, rattling in rear deck, nothing done. Clicking noise from front of car, they replaced some bolts and the control arms. So that's fixed...I Hope. It's pathetic what they are doing.

Also, I am switching from Kimmel & Silverman to Kahn & Associates. Kimmel has screwed around with me and wasted my time beyond belief. If you guys have read up on my problems, you'll see that Acura SHOULD have lemoned my vehicle or paid me money back for loss of use. Anyhow, Jen Cash at Kahn is awesome and Laurna the attourney is ready to start tomorrow morning. SWEET.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Under your Acura...

ok ok. so day 3 of no TL-S. I called Rosenthal Acura yesterday, my service advisor was 'out' and I was not notified until 5PM when the service center closes at 6PM. WTF? ON top of that, they called and said they haven't even STARTED on the car, and that they'll need to keep it till today! So I called back this morning, and my advisor was 'out' again! And if that wasn't enough, another random guy was sitting in, and said he'd call back in twenty. It's been a friggin hour already. So maybe I'm using this thread to blow off some steam, but Acurazinates, don't go buying from Rosenthal Acura. Their service couldn't be worse. The loaner they gave me was also filthy to say the least. I thought Acura was a premium dealership? Go buy a lex.
so yea?? you have some legit complaints to an extent, you should understand the technology and understand the basics of a car before you start complaining and rambling on about bs things..

sure were gonna fix the faulty parts.

but the things that YOU think are bad, and you dont even understand how it works..

the mdx front brakes have the brake pad noise yes, so does the tl-s. it might be a luxury car but that doesnt mean the basics arent the same..its a car man, it uses brakes, your "cvs" isnt causing the clicking while driving.

wtf is cvs?

i cant believe im up at 330am talking about this.

i just love to hear what you guys say are problems with the cars you buy..
all i can do is laugh at you.

i dont mind fixing the legit complaints, but theres the people that blow everything out of proportion and complain just to complain.

btw, your advisor was out the times you called.

theres more customers than you buddy, so what if he or she didnt call you back in 20 minutes on the dot?

there is a clicking you will hear while driving, its called the pcsv.
also normal injector click and valve tick.
if you think this isnt normal, then how about you read about how it works.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 AM
The Golden One

What is a PDI?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilya
What is a PDI?
Pre Delivery Inspection