Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes: Am I Getting Ripped Off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Brakes: Am I Getting Ripped Off?

So I went in to my Acura dealer for the 60K mile service in which I was told that i once again needed new brake pads and rotors for my 2005 6MT. Not that I am complaining or anything, but I just paid about $700 at the end of 2006 to get these replaced, and not even a full 2 years later, I am being told I need to replace the entire setup once again.

The service tech says that this is typical of Brembo brakes and rotors that they wear out quite rapidly. Now looking at the rotors and going back to my days of performance modding, I don't see any cross drilled or slotted action that would rapidly eat up the pads, and I do not see any abnormal wear on the rotors themselves....taking all this into consideration I feel that I might be getting played.....

any advice from the pros?

btw...for reference, the dealership wants $750 for the complete install, or they told me I can purchase rotors and pads on my own and they will install for $141....
Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered Rotora slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic Pads for under $500 total... Merchants tire did the install for me for $100.

The Hawks have never had brake dusting issues and the Rotoras stop on a nats ass....

I would ask the dealer why the rotors can not be turned since they are less than 2 yrs old... if they can not be turned, and the wear is thatbad, then it may be an indication of a bigger issue...
Old 05-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If everyone knew how easy most brake jobs are everyone would be doing it on their own or should be.

1) you will save on labor so factor that out.
2) you will save on parts most likely by getting your own parts.
3) the satisfaction of doing a job well done by yourself and even greater satisfaction you didn't give all that extra hard earned money to the stealership. unless its trap money then by all means blow it.

D
Old 05-28-2008, 06:03 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by don5504
If everyone knew how easy most brake jobs are everyone would be doing it on their own or should be.

3) the satisfaction of doing a job well done by yourself and even greater satisfaction you didn't give all that extra hard earned money to the stealership. unless its trap money then by all means blow it.

D
Very true... I really wanted to do this myself but I just did not have the time...

Brakes are easy...
Old 05-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Instructor

^^ Well, for me timing would be the issue....that and the fact that I would have to get the manual and figure out the specifics of doing my own brakes. Since my last Accord, I haven't modded anything it's been over 5 years now...and I never modded my own brakes ever.

I guess that is not an immediate problem, first thing I have to do is figure out if my rotors can be turned...because in looking and feeling them...I don't see any specific abnormalities...and I think the dealership is just trying to run my for my money.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by don5504

D
I agree completely and do maintenance like this myself but there are plenty of people that just aren't interested in doing their own work. For those folks I often recommend they find a good independent if they want to save over the dealer.

Bounce - perhaps there's a good Honda/Acura indi in your area that can do the work. I'd still recommend that you specify the parts you want installed but the labor savings should be worth it.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Agreed Adobeman....but now where should I purchase the performance parts? and which ones are generally better than others. I have seen Brembo, Disc Italia, AEM, and Rotora online.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by Bounce
Agreed Adobeman....but now where should I purchase the performance parts? and which ones are generally better than others. I have seen Brembo, Disc Italia, AEM, and Rotora online.
PM Excelerate. He is a vendor here and he sells the Rotora rotors for the 6MTs... he also has good performance pads and will give you a combined purchase deal... He also ships super fast...
Old 05-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The dealer should have documented why you need new rotors
That would be a measurement of how thick the rotor is now, the allowable minimum, and if grooves or scoring are evident.
There can be stuff happening on the back side you dont know about~
Brake parts the work really well together - like brembo- tend to use up pads and rotors because the pressure forces applied to them. How you drive also makes a big differance, stop and go or escaped mental patient style both put a lot of wear on them.
Its basic physics- clamping force creates friction- friction creates heat- heat dissolves pad material...heat must be removed from core of rotor to edges and vented out,,,,

If the rotors need to be resurfaced- which is normal, they still have to be a minimum thickness afterwards, plus have enough over that to last another set of pads.
Wanna bet acura uses what is needed to make it that far...and not much futher!
Check the invoice for details
Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I agree- contact Excelerate or MrHeelToe. They are both vendors on Acurazine and carry these items.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
For my 2G, I was quoted ~$315 for the front (New Pads/Turn Rotors) and $315 for the rears (New Pads/Turn Rotors). So ~$650 for all 4 corners and thats NOT new rotors.

I got Slotted fronts and rears, pads, PLUS stainless steel brake lines for the same $$. I'll do the install DIY.

So, I don't think you're being "played", just over charged on the cost of the parts. $141 install for the parts you buy is NOT a bad deal.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Team Owner

bear- OP has Brembo fronts- big price diff over standard brakes! and its a more skilled repair job than the standard tl brakes- its possible to damage the calipers if you dont know what you are doing when trying to retract the pistons- as it tries to push the other sides pistons out!!
Special bleeding technique with 2 bleeders per caliper- will up that part of the correctly done job labor time, and the pads and rotors are way overpriced IMO

Excelerate will hook you up with Rotora plain or side slotted rotors and matched pads for a realistic price

Still need to know what was replaced the first time and what miles- what the current miles are and the miles driven in that 2 years
Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
bear- OP has Brembo fronts- big price diff over standard brakes! and its a more skilled repair job than the standard tl brakes- its possible to damage the calipers if you dont know what you are doing when trying to retract the pistons- as it tries to push the other sides pistons out!!
Special bleeding technique with 2 bleeders per caliper- will up that part of the correctly done job labor time, and the pads and rotors are way overpriced IMO

Excelerate will hook you up with Rotora plain or side slotted rotors and matched pads for a realistic price

Still need to know what was replaced the first time and what miles- what the current miles are and the miles driven in that 2 years
I pmed Excelerate - just waiting for a response

to clear up, the dealer wanted to charge me $750 for just the fronts, not the rear....and the car has approx 59K miles on it...again it's a 2005 6MT

Last time those brakes were replaced was about 19 months ago.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
fyi healtoe has a make your brake setup... for the top of the line stuff it is under 1k total... with 2 piece rotors and pads...

you should only be needing new pads not rotors again unless they put ur stuff non oe
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

if the dealer only did pads on the first brake job- it would need rotors this time
What exactly was done then and what are the numbers they are giving for wear- the reason it needs new rotors?

someone who drives normal will not see benifit from the killer 2 piece rotors- much as I love my RB stuff in general-
for the 6mt cars- rotora has the deal with matched pads and rotors- designed to work together~
Excelerate gets so many request by PM, try CALLING Josh on the real telephone for immediate service- make sure to tell him you are from acurazine
Old 05-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm the one time Acura 101 has not ripped me off was when i needed new brake pads for my 04 6MT... I went in and had a coupon for brake pad service. They told me that it might be more since I was driving the manual. Fair enough.

I get a call back later and they said that my rotors were toast. I figured this as my parents were driving my car while I was back east for school and didn't know what the hell was going on.

In the end they quoted me 450 for all four sides including labor, which I thought was either a damn good deal or a mistake. Maybe it had something to do with the coupon I dunno.

When my 08 TLS comes time for a brake job, I will prb replace them with the rotoras.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:33 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Consider doing it yourself. The OEM pads and rotors are ~$430 total w/o shipping from Delray Acura.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

These Brembo's are also easy to work on. A few other Acuraziner's have done them and one took pictures and posted in a thread on Acurazine. Do a search, straightforward and simple job. Also make sure to get the screws that hold the rotors to the wheel hub.

My 05 TL 6MT has 36K miles and I have notced the front rotors have worn alot, the OEM pads are fairly agressive so I suspect I'll be replacing the rotors also at 60K miles.

Originally Posted by Bounce
So I went in to my Acura dealer for the 60K mile service in which I was told that i once again needed new brake pads and rotors for my 2005 6MT. Not that I am complaining or anything, but I just paid about $700 at the end of 2006 to get these replaced, and not even a full 2 years later, I am being told I need to replace the entire setup once again.

The service tech says that this is typical of Brembo brakes and rotors that they wear out quite rapidly. Now looking at the rotors and going back to my days of performance modding, I don't see any cross drilled or slotted action that would rapidly eat up the pads, and I do not see any abnormal wear on the rotors themselves....taking all this into consideration I feel that I might be getting played.....

any advice from the pros?

btw...for reference, the dealership wants $750 for the complete install, or they told me I can purchase rotors and pads on my own and they will install for $141....
Old 05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

the trick on the brembo calipers is getting both sides pistons to retract- there are a few tools that work very well- or a method opening the bleeder nipple- but you still need to keep the other side from popping out- thats a total bummer when it happens

Its not a normal brake job- needs thought and correct tools for the job
While I encourage DIY in most cases- if you have never done brakes or flushed- bleed brake sysytem- let a pro do it- specifically one who has worked on the exact car with brembos, not- We can do it- ~~~
Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Good writeup on a 3G TL Brembo replacement, the person who did this was his first ever brake job.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=brembo

Pictures here

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119423

The tool he used here was the old brake pad as a fulcrum to press the pistons back. Personally I always put a dry clean rag on both sides of whatever pushes the pistons back. Also buy a punch, do not use a allen key to push the pad pins out.

Brembo calipers have a special coating on the pistons that make the pistons slide with very little friction (or stiction as a suspension engineer would say). So getting the pistons back is trivial.

I've not worked on my Brembo's yet (they're due for new pads soon), but from my experience on Brembo's with my brother's BMW M6 it should be very similar.

I would also suggest the nipple valve technique to as to not get caliper fluid back into the VSA/ABS modulator assembly.

the trick on the brembo calipers is getting both sides pistons to retract- there are a few tools that work very well- or a method opening the bleeder nipple- but you still need to keep the other side from popping out- thats a total bummer when it happens

Its not a normal brake job- needs thought and correct tools for the job
While I encourage DIY in most cases- if you have never done brakes or flushed- bleed brake sysytem- let a pro do it- specifically one who has worked on the exact car with brembos, not- We can do it- ~~~
Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

FWIW, a lot of my buddies in the JMU car club who are avid auto-X / road course racers (several instructors) swear by Autozone / AAP rotors. They're cheap and work just as well as most other rotors out there. Many have seen multiple track days (usually a LOT more stress than most people put on their brakes during daily driving).

With that said, Powerslot makes some good stuff. I got a killer deal (~$450 iirc) when I bought a Powerslot slotted rotor / Hawk HPS / Goodridge SS line package for my STI. Powerslot and Hawk are sister companies apparently, so their stuff works very well together.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

wrx- are your buddies using them on Acura TL? thats what matters to people here

what happens is: people who dont understand how brembos work- they remove the pads and push on the pistons on one half the caliper- causing the other sides pistons to push OUT at the same time- possibly all the way out!! like out of the housing~!

Its easy to leave a used brake pad in there on each side, and use a prying tool to gently move one side then the other- keeping tension on the just compressed side while moving the other a little more- they do not have top go all the way in- thats actually bad for the oring seal- teflon coated piston or not- rubber orings are what they are

Of important note- Bleed outer nipple then inner on brembos
overall bleed order is LF driver front then clockwise around the car
LF RF RR LR
You can buy the right tool for the job for 10-20 bucks- and it will push both pads back equally and flat like they are supposed to- its not the basic 5$ one at parts store- its a special tool
For what you save on shop labor- invest in a few tools like the expander and brake parts cleaner spray for the new rotors and good brake fluid, floor jack and jackstands-
having the car fall onto the ground with the brakes exposed or removed will cause serious damage to the parts and maybe you- depending on your reflexes~
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

wrx- are your buddies using them on Acura TL? thats what matters to people here
Unfortunately no. The TL doesn't seem to be a really popular track car due to its nature. I've known people to use them on Integras, WRX / STis, Civic hatches and AI series Mustangs though. I would have used them on my old STi with similar Brembos to the TL-S but I came across the great package deal on the Powerslots.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am a lazy ass and chicken shz where i took it to dealer and got it done for 2 bills w/ my own Rotora Rotor/pads that I got it from acurazine