3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake service for an '04 TL 6mt (Brembo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake service for an '04 TL 6mt (Brembo)

Does anyone on here have a '04 6mt (Brembo) that has replaced their front pads and rotors?

I went to the dealership for some warranty work and thought for shits and giggles I'd ask about front rotors and pads..........................After a few minutes, she came back and said, "Would you like lube or no lube?"

J/K "the pads alone $450. The rotors and pads: $850. Would you like to schedule these as well??"

I have looked several places online, but only a few have applications for Brembos. I want to hear/read from someone that has gone through what I am about to go through.

Thanks for the help in advance.

miiipilot

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place, but this has the highest visibility.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:54 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
When you say the pads alone are you saying the whole job with labor, with pads and turned rotors? And that "rotors and pads" means the whole job with labor with new pads and new rotors?

Pads "over the counter" as parts are far, far less than $450 so I think you mean the whole job. When I got my 05 MT I asked about the price of a front brake job since the brakes are different. I was told roughly $150 more than the AT which was about $300. So a 400 to 450 quote to replace the pads and turn the rotors would not surprise me.

Many have just put in new pads for far less and others have used Hawk brand pads from TireRack.com. Many are also opposed to turning rotors since you may end up warping them quicker down the road. I'm sure others will chime in but if you can not change them yourself or have an independent mechanic to use then you probably will be faced with a 400 +/-50 bill for a front brake job at the dealer. Superior braking comes at a price.

Search it out on the board and you will see. Search for Hawk and you will come up with plenty to read.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by miiipilot
Does anyone on here have a '04 6mt (Brembo) that has replaced their front pads and rotors?

I went to the dealership for some warranty work and thought for shits and giggles I'd ask about front rotors and pads..........................After a few minutes, she came back and said, "Would you like lube or no lube?"

J/K "the pads alone $450. The rotors and pads: $850. Would you like to schedule these as well??"

I have looked several places online, but only a few have applications for Brembos. I want to hear/read from someone that has gone through what I am about to go through.

miiipilot

Just went through this. My dealer wanted $207 for just the front Brembo pads. That did not include installation. Obviously, I asked them where they got the crack.

I shopped around, and found some online for about 1/2 the price (www.brakewarehouse.com and a few others). However, since I'm rarely at the track (by rarely I mean never), I went to CarQuest in Fort Worth, and bought replacements for $65 including tax.

BTW, the Brembo's are the easiest calipers I've ever worked on. Took as long to jack up the car and remove the wheels as it did to replace the pads.

There are higher priced alternatives, however, I saw no benefit in spending > $100 on replacements. I can tell NO difference in brake fade or quality of stops.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,012 Likes on 577 Posts
You can get the rotors for $124.48 each, and the pads for $142.92 for the set which does both front brakes. So the labor must make up the difference in what the dealer wants, and that's a ripoff.

At these prices, the alternatives posted above sound better and better.

Click here for the parts list.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Do an internet search for pads.
You'll find ceramic replacements that won't dust up the wheels like the OEM's.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Advanced

http://www.partsandaccessories.com/a...12&brandid=478

go for the green!
Old 01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Chief

Thanks for all of this great info. My brakes were sqeeking alot and I brought in my 05 WDP ^MT and they resurfaced my rotors and gave me new break pads for free. I know I won't be so lucky next time.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Awesome!!

Thanks so much for the replies.

Talked to my local performance shop. And he is unable to find through his distributors OEM parts for the Brembo application.

He did tell me labor for rotors and pad installation is $110.

Pads: EBC Green on PartsandAccessories.com = $91.00
Hawk HPS Street Pads on tirerack.com = $116.00

Rotors: OEM replacement from Brakeworld.com = $50.00 each (I hope the application is correct. Even if the rotors are double. This is still better than $850
Old 01-06-2006, 05:17 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnutz
How's the dust with the Greens? I was considering Rotex Gold, but The Green Stuff gets higher marks as I recall.

I'm mostly looking to lower the dusting.

Also, what about bedding in? Same as the Hawks?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:31 AM
Pro

miiipilot

How many miles you have on your car...I'm trying to get an idea how often we have to replace our pads?....did they recommend replacing the the rear pads as well?
Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 6MT here and I took my TL in for a "brake vibration" and they replaced front brake pads and rotors for FREE!! My car had 17K miles on it.

In talking to the tech, it appeared as if there was a TSB relative to this issue and they changed them for free.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:15 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Ron A
You can get the rotors for $124.48 each, and the pads for $142.92 for the set which does both front brakes. So the labor must make up the difference in what the dealer wants, and that's a ripoff.

At these prices, the alternatives posted above sound better and better.

Click here for the parts list.

Does anyone have any specs on the 06 TL front upright/spindle in regards to if the Accura/Brembo caliper will bolt onto an non-Brembo TL? My guess is that they will but the rotor centerline offset will be different between the two, further inboard to clear wheel. I inquired at Accura Parts Dept. but counterman eyes glazed over when I started asking questions.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTRacer
Does anyone have any specs on the 06 TL front upright/spindle in regards to if the Accura/Brembo caliper will bolt onto an non-Brembo TL? My guess is that they will but the rotor centerline offset will be different between the two, further inboard to clear wheel. I inquired at Accura Parts Dept. but counterman eyes glazed over when I started asking questions.
I don't think the specs for the 06 has differed any from the 04, so the answer to your question is no. Your best bet would be an aftermarket BBK from Rotora, StopTech, Willwood, or Brembo. Check this thread on brake swap. This is from post #14 (cTLgo) from the brake upgrade.

FOR AUTO

Illustration No. Part Number Description
002 51210-SEP-A10 KNUCKLE, R. FR.
003 51215-SEP-A10 KNUCKLE, L. FR.

FOR MANUAL
Illustration No. Part Number Description
002 51210-SEP-A00 KNUCKLE, R. FR.
003 51215-SEP-A00 KNUCKLE, L. FR.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...=items&catid=1

Brakeworld has rotors for $50.00 each.
$60.00 a set (4) for the kelvar pads.

So that makes a total of $160.00 for all new front brakes.
That is why I do my own work.

Brett
Old 01-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro

Acura replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors...

NEXT DAY The squeak got worse!!! From happening occasioanlly to happening every freaking time...and even louder when I was turning and breaking at the same time!!!

EMBARRASING when you pull up to a parking spot at work and it echoes thru out the whole garage.

So I applied "de-squeak" rotor spray.... it lasted about 2 weeks with no squeaks, but than again I travel alot on business and out of those two weeks I drove the car aprox. 150 miles.

I dont want to keep bringing this car in for the second time to fix the same problem

Can it become a lemon if the noise keeps coming back?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Pro

I haven't installed the Tein SS Suspension in fear that acura would blame it on the aftermarket product or installation.

:silvermad
Old 01-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Safety Car

Have you tried bedding the brakes? See this thread bedding brakes.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro

Yeah I tried that. Last thing I did was brake so hard the anti locks brakes engaged....but this was after everything else failed.

would this be considered for a lemon if it keeps happening after eveytime acura fixes it?
Old 01-21-2006, 11:06 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Nandito28
Yeah I tried that. Last thing I did was brake so hard the anti locks brakes engaged....but this was after everything else failed.

would this be considered for a lemon if it keeps happening after eveytime acura fixes it?

i had horrible brake squeak all the time...replaced the pads with some rotex shit. hardly any squeak...decent stopping...very little dust. and they were 80 shipped, cant complain.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Pro

I dont think I should spend my own money for this problem....its enough taking time off of work (thers goes my vacation/personal time in a fucking waiting room)to get this shits looked at and replaced.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
10th Gear

miiipilot

Had mine covered by the dealer for free. Pads and resurface at 24k
Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Anthracite,Carmel,6MT

In Las Vegas they wanted $550.
I check with other dealer around the country and the service price is very lower.
What ACURA has done is charge $230. for the pad only.
I believe you can get these pad from Brembo direct.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nandito28
I dont think I should spend my own money for this problem....its enough taking time off of work (thers goes my vacation/personal time in a fucking waiting room)to get this shits looked at and replaced.
That is another reason I do my own work, do it right, do it once.
I bet if you removed the brake pads and coated the backs with high temp disk brake grease, and also used some on the pad to caliper contact points, the noise would go away.
Many places/people use the sticky stuff, but I never had luck with that.

Part of the noise TSB on the brembo brakes is to put special brembo grease on the back of the pads, maybe they do not use enough, or the brembo grease is no good...

Brett
Old 01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Pro

For some reason it didnt do it today after I washed my car I had to buy some groceries...never did it once. I'll see if it does it tomorrow on the way to the airport. if it does Imma call acura and set up yet another appointment. I'll tell them to add some extra brembo grease on it.

I just hope that if I have to bring it back to Acura that they hear the freakn problem

1st time it was occasionally...so when I borught it to them they never heard anything but went ahead and replaced the pads and resurfaced the rotors.

Next day they were squeaking for every stop(no lie)

Than I applied de-squeak and it went away

Than it came back after aprox 2 weeks (of which the car was parked at the aiport) drove it around 150 miles in total during the two weekends

Than I washed the car and it went away today (present tense)

So basically I want to pull up to the service area and replicate this sound right in front of them so they dont think I'm BSing them!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Brettg
http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...=items&catid=1

Brakeworld has rotors for $50.00 each.
$60.00 a set (4) for the kelvar pads.

So that makes a total of $160.00 for all new front brakes.
That is why I do my own work.

Brett
Brett,

It looks like brakeworld doesn't have front rotors for 6MT. Am I reading the page correctly? Do you have a 6MT? which front rotors did you use? Aren't the rotors different for Brembo and non-Brembo? Please let me know. Thanks!

Rob
Old 03-21-2006, 03:09 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

I got my 6mt pads for <$100. Swapped the pads myself just recently at 31K miles and did NOT have the rotors turned. I get no vibration upon heavy braking so I figured it wasn't necessary. I couldn't imagine having to replace the rotors this early...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

I just replaced mine at the dealer, i supplied the pads, (Green stuff - Same as a WRX FYI) Dealer charged me $120 for the install...

The Green stuff brake so much better than the stock, they squealed a little at brake in, but after about 50 miles, they are completely quiet!!

I would do the same again in 25K....
Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by quattrodude
I just replaced mine at the dealer, i supplied the pads, (Green stuff - Same as a WRX FYI) Dealer charged me $120 for the install...

The Green stuff brake so much better than the stock, they squealed a little at brake in, but after about 50 miles, they are completely quiet!!

I would do the same again in 25K....
What's the difference in the brake dust/dirty front wheel problem?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zax123
Brett,

It looks like brakeworld doesn't have front rotors for 6MT. Am I reading the page correctly? Do you have a 6MT? which front rotors did you use? Aren't the rotors different for Brembo and non-Brembo? Please let me know. Thanks!

Rob
It looks like you are right.

http://www.partsandaccessories.com/a...78&brandid=946

You might have to call some of the usual places to see what they have/can get.

I dont like drilled and slotted rotors, but the above look sharp, $114.00 each...

Brett
Old 03-22-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The guy I went to only charged me $50 to install the pads and resurface the rotors...$110 is high...
Old 03-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Instructor

If i'm not mistaken, that link is NOT for front rotors in the 6mt. The only application is for 6mt REAR sets. The last 2 for $228/pr are for AUTO trans, not 6mt.

I have been looking for a few months for rotors for my '04 6mt. NO DEAL except for the dealer ($250/pr) and $550/pr Disc Italia.

So the search continues,
miiipilot
Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the...ry=All&dp=true

The first listing is for the front rotors for a 6mt they say.

Brett
Old 03-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Okay, so I've had my 04 6MT for about a year and a half now. Put about 35000 miles on it. After I took it in for a B service a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the front passenger side brakes are rubbing and squeaking. Then today as I drove from work the grinding has gotten worse. Is there anyway that during the B service the technicians might have messed something up as far as the brakes? I know I should have alot more mileage left on these brakes before I get new pads or rotors. These are the infamous "brembos" anyways.. lol.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Thx Brett for that second link. I hope that is the correct application and price for a pair.

miiipilot
Old 03-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
If you wait for a few weeks ROTORA will be coming out with a front rotor for the Brembo M/T setup. They have released the A/T rotors already and the rear rotors are the same for the M/T and the A/T but the front rotors will be out soon.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Any pics, Excelerate?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by defynethis
Okay, so I've had my 04 6MT for about a year and a half now. Put about 35000 miles on it. After I took it in for a B service a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the front passenger side brakes are rubbing and squeaking. Then today as I drove from work the grinding has gotten worse. Is there anyway that during the B service the technicians might have messed something up as far as the brakes? I know I should have alot more mileage left on these brakes before I get new pads or rotors. These are the infamous "brembos" anyways.. lol.
You really think you'll get 35K miles out of a set of Brembo brake pads? Obviously, it's all in how you drive the car but I think that's really a stretch. The guys over on Infiniti forums indicate they only get about 10-15K miles out of their Brembo pads.

On my TL, I think I took mine in around 15K and there must have been some service bulletin as they replaced my front pads and rotors for free.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

I suspect the AT rotors fit something else, like an accord, but the brembo setup does not, so the aftermarket people are a little slow to make them.

I figured sometime after the car came out and the early cars warrenty expired someone would start making them, or cross referenceing them to something the same size...

I hope my disks last (they should) till the aftermarket rotors come out, so I keep a close eye on the pads so the disks dont get ruined.

Brett
Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Tripp11
You really think you'll get 35K miles out of a set of Brembo brake pads? Obviously, it's all in how you drive the car but I think that's really a stretch. The guys over on Infiniti forums indicate they only get about 10-15K miles out of their Brembo pads.

On my TL, I think I took mine in around 15K and there must have been some service bulletin as they replaced my front pads and rotors for free.
I just replaced my Brembo pads a month ago at 32K. I certainly don't drive like an old lady, but I don't race on a track, either.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Thx Brett for that second link. I hope that is the correct application and price for a pair.

miiipilot
You have to call them, is it $148.00 for one rotor, or two?
All the other sets are for two rotors if you read the remarks, most of these web sites are quite poor in layout....qty-1 thats one set of two rotors!

If they are $148.00 a set, thats not to bad, $74.00 a rotor...

Brett

Quick Reply: Brake service for an '04 TL 6mt (Brembo)