Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads Installed Backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pads Installed Backwards?

My 04 6sp Navi needed front brakes after about 68K. My local mechanic used 3rd party brake pads despite my requesting OEM Brembos. The brakes squealed terribly. They were replaced at no charge and had the same problem with the replacements. The third time they were replaced with the Brembos and while much better, they still squealed a bit.

Since I had the dual recall notice, I brought the car into my local dealership and mentioned the periodic but still somewhat noticeable squealing. They called and said that the brake pads and rotors were correct for my car, but that the brake pads were installed backwards.

I called my local mechanic and told him what the dealer said and he said that is impossible. They only fit one way and if they were somehow installed backwards there would have been a metal on metal noise that would have been immediately noticeable.

One of them is not telling me the truth. Please help me understand this better.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the tech that did the brakes is talking about installing the pad backwards against the rotor-inside facing out- which would be direct metal on metal- you would know right away from the sparks and total lack of braking!

The dealer may mean - iirc- their pads have a left and right side of the car.
All pads have an inner- with its metal clip that is used for low pad remaining warning- and an outer pad- with no squeeler tab.
Honda made some left/ride side of the car pads- i have no idea the differance- but they called them left and right

Most likely when the cheap aftermarket pads were used- the rotors were not resurfaced or cleaned in any way- then same thing with the next set.
At 68k miles I would expect to have already resurfaced the rotors once- then at the next set of pads, its going to need new rotors- they get too thin or will be too thin if a lathe is used to flatten them back.... as required on normal brake jobs

Probably the biggest cause of noise on new brakes is failure to bed the pads or failure to clean the rotors before install of new parts. Hawk brake pads are really bad about this.