3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought my first TL(USED) - Maintenance advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bought my first TL(USED) - Maintenance advice needed.

I just became the proud owner of a 2008 TL Base with 42k miles on it. My first Acura

I got it from a non-Acura dealer so I have no idea about how car was maintained by the first owner. All I know from the Carfax is that this was a leased vehicle.

I was planning on taking it to my local Acura dealer to check for any recalls, etc. What other preventative/neccessary maintaince do you guys recommended I get?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Oil Change
1x3 ATF or just do the 3x3 right now
Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter

You should be good for a long long time after that.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
^^ What he said plus check all other fluids, examine the motor mounts and the brakes. FYI, I would switch to Redline ATF assuming you have an automatic transmission. Welcome to the forums
Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i would also do the brake fluid, as well as the power steering fluid just to play it safe. congratz on the new car
Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I would just do the whole 3x3 right now with Redline fluids. Either D4 or Type F would be fine. There's a whole thread on the Type F fluid somewhere in this forum. You might wanna check it out.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd agree with taking it to dealer for recall work.

For 40K miles, you should not need much. However, you do need to inspect all the basics to determine the actual condition of the vehicle and what lies in future repairs.

- Inspect, replace air filter if necessary.
- Inspect, replace cabin filter if necessary or if odor in vehicle.
- Inspect motor oil & change if needed.

- Replace ATF (some go OEM Honda ATF, others Redline D4). Do research on your own and decide. Key is to change ATF at lower than specified intervals. I do every 30-40K on Hondas.

- Inspect tire condition and wear, make note of abnormal wear or low tread. Abnormal wear typically indicates suspension needs attention (alignment or damaged/worn components).

- Inspect brakes and suspension components, replace what is needed.
- Set tire pressures to specification or your preference.
- Inspect all interior functions work appropriately, determine those that need attention.
- Check all spare tire change equipment is present and spare tire pressure set to appropriately.
- Check all wheel lugnuts are torqued to 80 lb-ft (never know prior history).

Prioritize safety first on all repairs, attend to those first.

Last edited by HondaFan81; 11-05-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Also, get familiar with your owner's manual. This car has a boatload of features. And the owner's manual packet will answer most of your questions about maintenance.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot folks. I am very grateful for all the advice. Yes it is an automatic transmission and I am loving the car so far.

Based on the advice and what I have read on the forums , this is what I am planning on doing or have already taken care of...

Engine Oil Change
Got an oil change when bought the car. Will probably switch to some better stuff at the next 5K change.

ATF Oil Change
Have been reading all the threads about the ATF oil changes. I am probably going to go with the Redline D4 based on all I have read.
Not sure yet, whether to ease in with 1x3 every 5k miles or should I just do a 3x3 now.

Check all other fluids.
Did that when I got the car. Everything looked good.

Check Brakes
The car drove and braked well. Will remove the tires and do a visual inception this weekend.

Change Air Filter
Ordered at the local parts store, waiting delivery so will be taken care off.

Change Cabin Air Filter
Changing this weekend.

Inspect Motor Mounts
The engine doesn't shift too much when I switch between Park and Reverse. There is a little movement but I think maybe that's normal.
What should I exactly look for? Broken/leaking stuff.

Brake Fluid Flush
The local Acura dealer quoted $160 for this whereas the shop down the street wanted $110 but will get this done next week (gotta set some money aside :\ )

Power Steering Flush
The dealer said that there really isn't any specified interval to get this done. He also said its probably fine for a 2008. I will still get it done next month or so.

Inspect Tires (Tread and wear).
I inspected them visually and the looked liked that had plenty of tread. They were Potenza and I am pretty sure that's what comes from the factory... so for 2-year old tires with 40k on them, they still looked pretty good.
Still I will be jacking up the car this weekend so will check them thoroughly.

Inspect Suspension Components
It needs an alignment... there is a slight pull to the left on the highway. Also the steering wheel tends to follow and turn with uneven road bumps. Gotta figure out what the problem is.
Will probably take it some place since I have no idea what to look for in a suspension other than busted CV joints.

Tire Pressure Check
Good of course, thats to the fancy TPMS

Check all Interiors Gizmos
Everything works great except the Hands Free Link system (its locked). Gotta figure out how to get that sorted since I dont have the radio unlock code (The previous owner thought that manuals/codes were not needed)

Read the Manual
Didn't get one with the car... ordered one of eBay, so waiting for it anxiously.

Also which repair manual do you recommend I get. I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself if possible.

Once again, Thanks for all the advice
Old 11-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Sounds like you got it down. Be sure to only use Honda/Acura power sterring fluid.