3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 330i instead

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My condolences. I'm the guy waving to you when you are calling Roadside Assistance on your cellphone. Keep it handy.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Maxim
My condolences. I'm the guy waving to you when you are calling Roadside Assistance on your cellphone. Keep it handy.
Right! And he won't we using Bluetooth either? Poor bastard!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:23 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

"TL-Not Unique Enough" Um, and all the Bimmers look completely different from their brethren. It's called "Product Imaging" After seeing the changes Bangle made to the 7 and now the 5, do you really think the new 3 will look "unique?" Prior to his redesign, unless you were right on top of it, it was difficult to tell a 3 from a 5 series. And why did he go ahead and use the same old "double kidney grills?" Because THAT is BMW, that's why Acura has been using their 5-sided grill. Dodge has got what the press refers to as the "Gun Sight" grill work. Designers and Marketers want you to be able to see a car, and know the brand right away. So stating your doing it because the TL is not unique enough is a hypocritical statement. All the Bimmers look alike as well.

The other thing I would mention is the chick thing. Most here have already hit the nail on the head. I hope you plan on a lot of sloppy hand jobs, and spending your gas money on expensive meals, and all the latest trends and clubs. Because if your looking for a women who will go out with you because you have a BMW, that's what you're in for. Not one girl that dates you for your car is going to end up meeting your parents, or being Mrs. right.

You've got the money at 24 for a $56K car, Great! I just hope you have plenty left over to blow on all those "chicks." Because they are going to expect it. They are going to expect a REAL player.

Now that being said. I really do hope you enjoy the car. BMW makes a great automobile, no argument. But just like B&W speakers (these days) they are not all that, and a bag of chips. I'd like to get a BMW myself. But it'll never be at the cost of anything else.

My 04 TL provides everything I need, plus so much more. I’ve been getting just as many questions at the pump, just as many honks and thumbs up at a light (young man in a tricked out RSX last night.) I just nod with a kind of appreciative aire. But I drive it for me, not anyone else. AND... Since I didn't get a comparable BMW, I've got lots of cash to go out and buy that new 2 channel ROTEL amp and the extra set of speakers I’ve been wanting to bring my home theater rig up true to 7.1.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Gundar
You bought a BMW because you figured it would get you more chicks?

How can I tell you're 24?!

Guess what? Chicks who'll only go out with a guy who drives a Bimmer are the same chicks who will be taking you to court 5 to 10 years from now so that they can get most of everything you own! In other words: arrogant, self-absorbed and bi-polar.
Who cares? At his age, all he wants (and all he should want) is to get laid. And a BMW is the perfect vehicle (pun intended) to reach that destination. Oh, and everyone knows that psycho biatches are the best in bed. Just make sure it's her bed - don't ever let them know where you live.

LOL!!! I just noticed the forum software has a focking censorship option. It replaces all the naughty words in your posts with fukcing asterisks.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by r_liebo
Some additional thoughts, from a long time BMW 3 series owner, on the fence for a new TL

1) RWD -- RWD is much more fun. You don't have to be a race car driver, and you don't have to be juvenile to appreciate it. It doesn't really matter if you are skilled enough to get better performance numbers with RWD (doubt many on this board are), it is just more fun for spirited driving. With RWD you don't have to deal with torque steer, or number steering to try and mask it. You can steer with the throttle through turns (again, without driving like a maniac) as well. There is a reason that most of the worlds best performance cars use RWD (including the great NSX). That said, if you live where it snows, FWD is a better option.

Value -- TL is definitely a better deal. More stuff, great engine, cheaper price. Not as solid feeling as the Germans, or as quiet on the inside, but still a more car for the money.

Reliability -- Acura more reliable, but BMWs do not break down all the time. I've owned 4 3 series, and never once been stranded. Cheap plastic parts tend to fall off in the interior, but the engines are very reliable. Everyone has their own story of "my friends BMW broke all the time," but check out the objective numbers, and BMW isn't that bad. The big problem is after warranty, they do break down more often, and are VERY expensive to fix. Got to get the extended warranty, or get a new car.

Styling -- To each their own -- that's it.

Chick magnet -- Just my opinion, but that shouldn't be the reason to buy a car. If that's the deciding factor, get the 325 instead. Much cheaper, and "chicks" won't know the difference.
As a long time BMW and Acura owner and afficionado, I think you said it best.

I am currently debating a TSX or TL 6spd, or a 1999 CPO BMW 540i or E36 M3 for my daily driver. I drive the TL/6 tomorrow. I know it has the torque that I miss in the TSX, as I have driven the TL/5AT. I don't know how I'll like 270 hp. at the front wheels through that manual, and I am picky about clutch feel. Fortunately, Acura is phenomenal at controlling torque steer.

The value and features of the TL are top notch.

I like the TL exterior styling a lot, as well as the TSX, but it does have some compromises over the 540i or M3. Ideally, I would get an old M-car to fill the void as a nice-weather daily driver, but that would be expensive and somewhat obscene to have 3 cars.

Since I now take the NSX to the track and for spirited drives in nice weather, I am thinking I would like the comfort, reliability (although my BMW has been good to me and is well into its second century) and FWD for the winter. Too bad I have to buy snows for the stock rims and another set of rims for the summer, as I have little faith in all-season rubber, which means another stack of tires for the garage (have 3 at present).

In my experience, a RWD car with decent snows (I like Michelin Pilot Alpins) is as good or better than a FWD car with economy priced or somewhat bare all-seasons.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:27 AM
10th Gear

when i was 23 i bought a used Audi A6, put a Dvd screen and stereo in it. I also wired a small chassis computer in the trunk, so I can play mp3s, watch mpegs, etc.

It was quite disgusting how people treated me differently in that car. People either kissed ass, or straight up hated. I remember a cop at a road block asked what I did, when I told him computers he simply snickered at me.

I got rid of it within the year when the warranty expired because it was having strange problems.

Traded it in for a 2002 TL Type S. Much happier with it. Less social and mechanical hassles.

Now i'm upgrading to the 04 TL and am quite excited. I like bigger cars and the 5 series, E class are all beyond my means.

I'm not the type to use a car to get girls anyways, its' all in the shoes.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:04 AM
5th Gear

Hey Bro, what did you pay for that BMW??? In order to get a comprabily equiped BMW, you're paying $50k +. Nice decision.

You BMW people piss me off. You think you are a part of an "elite club" of sophisticated aristricats. Well, bottom line is your a bunch of jackasses who cannot afford the cars you drive.

OUT!

Wired
Old 11-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes, less is indeed less. Write that down.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Advanced

I was looking at 330 and G35C like three/four months before I saw my 04TL, especially looking more in the G35C because when I build it in the bimmer website, with the options I wanted, it is like $45K at least (with the navi, xenon, sport pkg, premium pkg, etc). That's why I think G35C is better in that sense. However, after I saw the TL, I bought it the following week. The equipment and performance vs. the price just way too worth it, especially the awarded navi.
I like bimmer also, but I have already have two friends with the 3s and one with the newest 530. So, too many bimmer around.
Anyway, congrat to you, good to have a new ride once in awhile.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Instructor

And wait until that very same chick finds that guy with an SL500. She'll leave your ass for him if it's about the car accoroding to your logic.

And about that guy who is a total player (a true player doesn't need **** for material things other than decent looks and some nice clothes) with the 7" c**k which is 2" bigger than yours? That is the thing that will matter more than the car and will keep on giving for years and years to come!

Okay. Don't flame me. My post is all 'tongue in cheek'!
Old 11-14-2003, 12:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wiredinoc
You BMW people piss me off. You think you are a part of an "elite club" of sophisticated aristricats. Well, bottom line is your a bunch of jackasses who cannot afford the cars you drive.

OUT!

Wired
I realize there are some cocky BMW people out there, just as there are cocky Honda people and so on. I love them both (the cars, not the cocky people), and I make no apologies for it.

I don't think you can lump BMW afficionados into some snobby group, just like you can't dismiss Honda folks as ricers. I say the same thing to my BMW forum members when they start spouting this garbage. And yes, I agree he was asking for it, but so what.

It is not necessary to put down other marques to love the one you drive. Be happy with what you have and leave the big-d!ck game to the high-school kids or the racetrack.

It is one thing to express an opinion. I, for example, don't care for recent vintage pony cars like the Mustang or F-body, but when you characterize an entire class of people based your own limited experience, I think you are being foolish.

I am BMW people, sir, and you don't know me or the folks I have met through the BMW CCA. If you did, you would have qualified your statement or not made it at all.

End of Rant.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:57 AM
Instructor

BMWs are great automobiles; technically savvy, solidly built and beautifully engineered (the engineering part at least on paper).

Unfortunately, they have developed a reputation as being 'status' cars for the arrogant, 'preppy,' and self-absorbed crowd. And sometimes, perception can become as 'real' as fact. Here in Vancouver, they're practically "me-too" cars, and just about every director and producer in the local showbiz industry drives one - and many of those people are supercilious as hell.

More significantly, BMWs have also developed a reputation for being high-maintenance vehicles of questionable reliability.

However, perhaps a 'high-maintenance' vehicle is ideally suited to the man who is hoping to attract a 'high-maintenance' woman, which seems to be the intention of the author of this thread. But that's okay, cause when he grows up, he'll probably end up driving a Honda Accord and marrying a fat chick.:lol2:
Old 11-14-2003, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

For the people that asked if Bmw had a forum:

http://www.bimmervibe.com/phorum/

There only a 1,072 I guess once you get a BMW, you dont have much money left to tune it because your paying off the bill and the insurance. (New York & New Jersey people know what Im talking about )

This is America everyone uses BMW as a status symbol. People seem to think that if you drive one your giving everyone the impression that your rich, powerful, and you live in some big house. When half the people that have them live in small tiny ****ty homes and all they have is the BMW to show for it. Follow someone with a BMW home and you wont be impressed half the time.

My friend Vinny a 330Xi Bimmer owner seems to think that BMW's are the fastests cars out and can pretty much own any other car on the road in its class. Since that time hes gotten owned by almost ever other car in his class. Its the ignorance that comes along with owning a Bimmer that I dont like. That, snobby presence. Audi is luxury and I never get that vibe.

If I was to go german I would go Audi.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:39 AM
Drifting

Guy driving 3-series means less money spent on me!
Old 11-14-2003, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

In that case no 3 series ever for me
Old 11-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Drifting

Thank you!
Old 11-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by GalantT3
For the people that asked if Bmw had a forum:

http://www.bimmervibe.com/phorum/

There only a 1,072 I guess once you get a BMW, you dont have much money left to tune it because your paying off the bill and the insurance. (New York & New Jersey people know what Im talking about )

This is America everyone uses BMW as a status symbol. People seem to think that if you drive one your giving everyone the impression that your rich, powerful, and you live in some big house. When half the people that have them live in small tiny ****ty homes and all they have is the BMW to show for it. Follow someone with a BMW home and you wont be impressed half the time.

My friend Vinny a 330Xi Bimmer owner seems to think that BMW's are the fastests cars out and can pretty much own any other car on the road in its class. Since that time hes gotten owned by almost ever other car in his class. Its the ignorance that comes along with owning a Bimmer that I dont like. That, snobby presence. Audi is luxury and I never get that vibe.

If I was to go german I would go Audi.
There are many other BMW forums, with membership in the tens of thousands if not more, and the size of their enthusiast community is substantial. I am CCA Member 275969, the largest marque-based car club in the world.

Again, you don't have to put BMW down to love your Acura.

Sure, there are ignorant and snobby BMW owners, just like there are ignorant and snobby Acura owners. If you think Audi is any different, check out www.audiworld.com They have the same centrist view of their marque superiority that all of these forums suffer from. Don't get me wrong, its a great forum, and I like Audis (one of my best friends has an S4, which is a great if unreliable automobile).

The above opinions only compound the ignorance and elitism. Buying an Acura, or any car, does not make you some grounded and modest individual who knows the secret to automotive nirvana. It is just a car in the end.

A true enthusiast is open to the possibility that all marques can produce a wonderful car.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Thats true and it makes perfect sense.

I apologize :o
Old 11-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

No worries, mate. If its any consolation, I have to defend Honda on the BMW forums at least as much as I have to defend BMW on the Honda forums.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Aaawwww, you guys are so sweeeeeettttt!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dunno what your situation is, but when I was 24 a 4 door sedan was the furthest thing from my mind. I wouldn't have got the TL at 24, I wouldn't have got the Bimmer at 24. Instead I would've got a 350z. If I really wanted four doors I would have picked up an STi. And then if I was really dying for a Bimmer I would have picked up an older M3.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Racer

Originally posted by MB-telecom
And wait until that very same chick finds that guy with an SL500. She'll leave your ass for him if it's about the car accoroding to your logic.
Why cares? She was just booty call anyway...
Old 11-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow...some of you really sound insulted that he chose BMW. There are SOME (you know who you are) that make it out like BMW is the worst. I had a 96 740iL that never had any problems. Though, my 03 TLP's tranny seems like it wants to die soon.

And that whole 12K extra argument I think is worthless. I can make a similar argument saying how the TL an overpriced Accord. And that the Accord is an overpriced....etc etc. If dude has money...dude has money. Sometimes I regret my decision for on the TL, but then girls like it so I change my mind again.

Besides...most girls dont know anything about cars. I had a few girls just impressed at lengths over the right side view mirror tilting on reverses. Of course I didnt care cause my old bimmer did that.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:26 AM
Intermediate

Hey GIRLS AND GUY'S
In Alberta Chicks are attacted to
cash and pickup trucks
I still have the truck the cash and a 04 TL stick car
Can i get a OZZY DVDA Disk ?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by lovemyTL
Wow...some of you really sound insulted that he chose BMW. There are SOME (you know who you are) that make it out like BMW is the worst. I had a 96 740iL that never had any problems. Though, my 03 TLP's tranny seems like it wants to die soon.

And that whole 12K extra argument I think is worthless. I can make a similar argument saying how the TL an overpriced Accord. And that the Accord is an overpriced....etc etc. If dude has money...dude has money. Sometimes I regret my decision for on the TL, but then girls like it so I change my mind again.

Besides...most girls dont know anything about cars. I had a few girls just impressed at lengths over the right side view mirror tilting on reverses. Of course I didnt care cause my old bimmer did that.
werd, people just like to justify the choice they made on a big expense like a car. who cares where the car is made and the HP it has, etc.... if you enjoy what you drive what does it matter what someone else thinks? you guys probably don't know or remember me but i was a regular on here when the site 1st came out. then got a bimmer after my 00 TL, and just sold the bimmer for a 04 E320 so i know the worlds of all the fourms and its funny how each forum gets testy when someone brings up another car.

Washington Mutual
Old 11-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Thats true people do get testy when you bring up a different car.

And people who posted are especially testy based on the attitude of the person who started the forum.

You have to remember people are people and everyone has there own opinions. So when someone tries to come around on another forum saying I bought my car instead of your car because its so much better and I can get all the hottest girls with it. That is someone asking for some flames to be lite under his ass.

Thats like me buying a Mercedes starting a post on a BMW board and saying, hey everyone I bought my Mercedes C320 sedan over your BMW 3 series because the 3 series is not on the same level as my Mercedes and I can also get more girls with it because hey its a Mercedes. Also Bmws are just slow in comparison and really arent worth the money but my Mercedes is.

I dont think Im gonna get too much praise for telling them I bought my Mercedes because of the way I said it.
It's only natural people are gonna get nasty with me and defend there car. Who the hell am I to go around and tell you why I didnt choose your car.

So thats why alot of people are bashing BMW in this post not because they really dislike BMW the brand or any other brand but because they dont like some outsider with a negative attitude posting insults and bashing there brand of car on there own forum!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

true, one thing we all have in common is that we call hate is300.net!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Race Director

If you bought a 5 series over a 04TL than I would say good Choice even though I would still get the 2004 TL..

But you chose a 3 Series, its almost not even comparable to the TL.. The TL's features and enhancements are so good, that people are cross shopping it with the 5 Series, and the Best part about it is value.

But to each his own, and I wont sit here and lecture. I would have a classy/sporty car while not attracting too much attention so I would rather get the 2004 TL, but now the new TL even attracts attention.. More than the 3 Series IMO. Lets e-mail jd powers or one of the survey companies and have them do a test between which car gets more chicks LMAO :-D

TL would win IMO for Looks but girls that go for name would pick BMW
Old 11-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Racer

Drivers! I take counterpoint to your position 2004. The TL and the 530i are very close. The 530i was the target for Acura. I chose the TL over the 530 because of content, goodie quality and every performance quality except feel. BMW has feel. The 330i is another animal. After driving it, the 530 seems slow, heavy and soft. Even the 540i SP lacks the snap of the 330. The TL is good; all it lacks is feel.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry to whoever this may offend (that's sad if it really does), but driving a 330i is DEFINITELY more fun than an 04TL. I'm not saying I'd buy it, but if I wanted pure driving fun, the 330i is the choice here.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lovemyTL
I'm sorry to whoever this may offend (that's sad if it really does), but driving a 330i is DEFINITELY more fun than an 04TL. I'm not saying I'd buy it, but if I wanted pure driving fun, the 330i is the choice here.
I'd have to agree. My '03 330i was a zippy little car. But, you do have to "drive" it 24/7. It's not a good long range cruising car as I found out.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ditto. I've got 140K on my 328i, and it still is fun to zip around in. But I won't look back when I get my TL...I certainly won't miss the three or four thousand a year I have to pay in maintenance the last several years! I'm looking forward to better reliability from Acura.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

I am replacing a 146k mile 325i, and have spent around $120/month in maintenance on that car in the last 2 years.

As for the TL, it remains to be seen whether I pick it up. Still no word on the status of the transmission rebuild, or what they are willing to do for me as a result of the delay and repair. (See Comprehensive Problems thread)
Old 11-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
brahtw8,

I saw your posts on that thread. Good luck with that. It's frustrating, you get all excited about a new car and a problem like that comes up and takes the wind right out of your sails.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just priced 330 at carsdirect.com:

BMW 330 w/performance package
CarsDirect Price: $41,915
MSRP Price: $43,945
Invoice Price : $40,415
Engine: Specially Tuned 3.0L I6 DOHC SMPI
6-cylinder engine with 3.0-liter displacement,
dual overhead cam valvetrain, sequential multi-port injection Included
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual Included

Option Groups
Cold Weather Package
Performance Package
Wheels and Tires
Tires: 225/40R18 Fr & 255/35R18 Rr Performance
Wheels: Double Spoke Cast Alloy (Styling 135M) Included

Seats and Seat Trim
Sport Seats Included
Alcantara/Cloth Seat Trim Included
Fold Down Rear Seats
Heated Front Seats Included
Audio
Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/CD STD
Other Options
On-Board Navigation System
Power Glass Moonroof
Xenon Headlights

Roughly $7K or 20% more that TL. Probably around $100/month more on a lease. Which one you'd rather be driving?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SergeyM
Just priced 330 at carsdirect.com:

BMW 330 w/performance package
CarsDirect Price: $41,915
MSRP Price: $43,945
Invoice Price : $40,415
Engine: Specially Tuned 3.0L I6 DOHC SMPI
6-cylinder engine with 3.0-liter displacement,
dual overhead cam valvetrain, sequential multi-port injection Included
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual Included

Option Groups
Cold Weather Package
Performance Package
Wheels and Tires
Tires: 225/40R18 Fr & 255/35R18 Rr Performance
Wheels: Double Spoke Cast Alloy (Styling 135M) Included

Seats and Seat Trim
Sport Seats Included
Alcantara/Cloth Seat Trim Included
Fold Down Rear Seats
Heated Front Seats Included
Audio
Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/CD STD
Other Options
On-Board Navigation System
Power Glass Moonroof
Xenon Headlights

Roughly $7K or 20% more that TL. Probably around $100/month more on a lease. Which one you'd rather be driving?

I'd rather be driving the 330i. If I could afford a 100/month extra for a lease...I'd do it. I wouldnt have ot worry about maint. costs. But I'm stretching the wallet even now so no it cant be done.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Maintenance is free for 4y/50K on all BMW, MB, Audi. Will save you a about $1,000 over 4 years.