Sponsored by:

Bought a 330i instead

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a 330i instead

Hey guys

After reading this forum on a regular basis from the time that the official TL pics were first coming out until very recently...I decided to get my TL deposit back and buy a 330i instead. I could have got the loaded TL for $44K CDN and I ended up spending about $56K CDN on the Bimmer. Here are my reasons (for anyone who may be in a similar situation right now):

-RWD is much more fun to drive
-TL styling too bland...to much like TSX...not unique enough
-Too many complaints about the TL's quality already
-TL Made in America
-I'm 24 and the TL was "too old" for me...Bimmers get more chicks anyways

My Black/Black 330iA will be here in less than a week! Cheers...
Old 11-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Racer

Re: Bought a 330i instead

Originally posted by NSWAGAR
Hey guys

After reading this forum on a regular basis from the time that the official TL pics were first coming out until very recently...I decided to get my TL deposit back and buy a 330i instead. I could have got the loaded TL for $44K CDN and I ended up spending about $56K CDN on the Bimmer.
The loaded TL (with Navi) is $44K (CDN) and the 330i is $47K. These are MSRP's. What options did you get with your BMW? Does $56K that you said include tax + freight?
TL-Navi with tax + freight + options should be around $50K.
I guess he wouldn't be coming back to this forum to answer my questions anymore. Oh well...
Old 11-07-2003, 12:18 AM
10th Gear

Arrow

To each his own I guess, the 330i is certainly a great car in it's own right.
My .02 on your rational:

"RWD is much more fun to drive"
>>Arguable at best; yeah I know "enthusiasts" like to promote the handling benefits of rear wheel drive, but for the vast majority of driving-even aggresive driving- IMO a well executed FWD drivetrain gets the job done just fine! The benefits in inclement weather (esp. snow) of front wheel drive are something to consider as well.

"TL styling too bland...to much like TSX...not unique enough"
>>Obviously very subjective-if you like the looks of the BMW better, that's cool-I think they are great looking too (I prefer the 5 series though!) I disagree however about the TL looking "bland". Personally, I rate it a virtual tie with the BMW in appearance!

"Too many complaints about the TL's quality already"
>>EVERY forum I've been on over the years-bar NONE- will see complaints and problems on any vehicle. It's easy to get a distorted picture of a car's reliability that way. Still useful information of course, just not a scientific sample statistically speaking (WOW-great alliteration!) No car is perfect, even BMWs

"TL Made in America"
>>I'm not sure what the point is with this statement. I assume you would prefer it be made in Japan?

"I'm 24 and the TL was "too old" for me...Bimmers get more chicks anyways"
>>As you mature you will find you no longer need to buy a car just to "get more chicks"

From my perspective, you are spending lots more to get less (i.e. smaller, less power, less "goodies") simply for that status/image boost. Don't get me wrong, I've owned BMWs and they are great cars. But so is the TL!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:26 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Dieter
"TL Made in America"
>>I'm not sure what the point is with this statement. I assume you would prefer it be made in Japan?
This is a very interesting point. When I talked to sales people in Lexus dealer, they all told me to buy the RX330 right away (it's 2 - 3 months ago when it first came out) because starting Fall 2003 Lexus would start making the RX330 in Canada and only the first few batches were made in Japan.
Now they could be saying that for a few reasons:
1) They wanted to make the sale right away.
2) They assumed that most buyers would prefer a car made in Japan because it had higher quality.
3) They actually believed that a car made in Japan would have a better quality.
What's the big deal about this? And why is QA in North America so much worse than it is in Japan, if that's the case?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:36 AM
The Acura Tranny Killer

"TL Made in America"

Afraid it's gonna go and bomb Iraq or something?

Tracer
Old 11-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If I had the money I would love the new 5 series!!! That's an awsome car!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Bought a 330i instead

Originally posted by lamster
The loaded TL (with Navi) is $44K (CDN) and the 330i is $47K. These are MSRP's. What options did you get with your BMW? Does $56K that you said include tax + freight?
TL-Navi with tax + freight + options should be around $50K.
I guess he wouldn't be coming back to this forum to answer my questions anymore. Oh well...
2004 330i: 47,000
Black Sapphire Metallic paint: 800
Exclusive Edition Package: 6,000
Steptronic: 1,300
Load-through w/ ski bag: 600
Total MSRP: 55,700 plus freight, pdi, tax etc
Old 11-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmmm, I got rid of my '03 330i to get the TL and I don't regret it for one moment.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dieter
...From my perspective, you are spending lots more to get less (i.e. smaller, less power, less "goodies") simply for that status/image boost...
I don't know how you "percieved" that...I didn't mention a single thing about status or image...what is wrong with Acura's status and image? That is what I own right now...
Old 11-07-2003, 01:30 AM
10th Gear

I don't know how you "percieved" that...I didn't mention a single thing about status or image...what is wrong with Acura's status and image? That is what I own right now...
1. I didn't say I "percieved" (sic) that- I said "From my perspective..." that is, from my point of view. In other words, MY OPINION. Not the same thing, and not a direct quote (in spite of your use of quotation marks).

2. Your statement that "...Bimmers get more chicks anyways" seemed to indicate that you felt they would be attracted to your car rather than to you personally. This sounds a little bit like status or image enhancement, but maybe you just meant that "chicks" would appreciate the Ultimate Driving Machine for it's renowned German engineering!

3. Remember, "I" before "E" except after "C"! I know how important proper grammer and spelling is to you
Old 11-07-2003, 01:39 AM
Comptech Freak

Hey guys

After reading this forum on a regular basis from the time that the official TL pics were first coming out until very recently...I decided to get my TL deposit back and buy a 330i instead. I could have got the loaded TL for $44K CDN and I ended up spending about $56K CDN on the Bimmer. Here are my reasons (for anyone who may be in a similar situation right now):

-TL Made in America

i hope we will meet on a snow day and see who gets stuck in the snow eh?

HERE ARE MY REASONS THAT NOT GETTING A BMW

-RWD is way too much fun when it's snowing
-3-series is too common, and it's only for the rich kids who can't spell the word "car"
-BMW has more problems than any Japanese makers (except Mazda perhaps)
-3-series is not built in GERMANY too.... :o
-If the chicks like u coz of your Bimmer, then congrats!!! u r an official playboy~

one more...
-330i CDN model only has a max spd of 206km...while TL limited at 240km

anyways...gd luck with your bimmer and hope u will have fun~ and drive safe
Old 11-07-2003, 03:00 AM
Instructor

You bought a BMW because you figured it would get you more chicks? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!:lol1:

How can I tell you're 24?!

Guess what? Chicks who'll only go out with a guy who drives a Bimmer are the same chicks who will be taking you to court 5 to 10 years from now so that they can get most of everything you own! In other words: arrogant, self-absorbed and bi-polar.

As to your other remarks:

"-RWD is much more fun to drive"

Oh? Are you a professional race car driver? If so, what are you doing racing on public roads?

"-TL styling too bland...to much like TSX...not unique enough"

Interesting perspective.

"-Too many complaints about the TL's quality already"

Not uncommon for ALL cars in a new model year.

"-TL Made in America"

So was the last TL and the MDX - both get extremely high ratings from J. D. Powers. Oh, and by the way, according to J. D. Powers' 'Fewest Problems Per 100 Vehicles' survey: Acura came in third, BMW came in fifth.

"-I'm 24 and the TL was "too old" for me...Bimmers get more chicks anyways"

I'm sorry to hear that you need to drive a BMW to attract (shallow) chicks.

What I REALLY want to know is how a 24 year-old affords a $56,000 car (??). When I was 24, I was just out of university and paying back student loans!

Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

A: A porcupine has it's pricks on the outside.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by samkws
i hope we will meet on a snow day and see who gets stuck in the snow eh?

HERE ARE MY REASONS THAT NOT GETTING A BMW

-RWD is way too much fun when it's snowing
-3-series is too common, and it's only for the rich kids who can't spell the word "car"
-BMW has more problems than any Japanese makers (except Mazda perhaps)
-If the chicks like u coz of your Bimmer, then congrats!!! u r an official playboy~

one more...
-330i CDN model only has a max spd of 206km...while TL limited at 240km

anyways...gd luck with your bimmer and hope u will have fun~ and drive safe
330i are made in germany. only 325i and below are made in Rosalyn South Africa.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:24 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You must first be young and dumb before you can be old and smart. He is still in the first stage. No really to each their own. If you like the BMW then better for you. You will be the one driving and paying for it not us. In my opinion though I think you made the wrong move. It’s funny how you say the Acura looks to bland because I have had three chicks tell me they thought it was a BMW.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Racer

Hey guys

-TL Made in America

so to get a chick you need a BMW huh? thats pretty sad. LOL :wow:
Old 11-07-2003, 07:07 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

so to get a chick you need a BMW huh? thats pretty sad. LOL :wow:
You bought a BMW because you figured it would get you more chicks? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! :lol1:

I like the bmw style cars better than the new TL but not over the 02/03 TL. I also think that 3 series is a little small, rather get the 5 series but that is a lot of $$$
Old 11-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
it's good to see the ACURA PRIDE going on in this forum lol...i, personally, am not a fan of BMW's but hey, if that's what you chose, then that's great...they are good cars....i am not sure if bmw has a forum and if so, are you a member of it? becuase that way you may see that bmw has mechanical problems whereas the TL has MINOR problems like hearing some rattling in the car and stuff like that...personally, i would rather have the rattling in my car than go to the dealership every month...my friend has a bmw 325ci and it has given him a few major problems already and he just bought it last year...everyone has bmw's, so i don't even think that car has the status anymore as it used to, just like mercedes...i think a new status car is lexus IMO....but if bmw suits you, then that's good...just don't pull up next to a TL and expect to beat it cause it ain't happening lol...
Old 11-07-2003, 07:28 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I drove a few BMW's before I got the TL and did extensive research in forums and online. I could afford a 5 series but just felt like the price and value compared to the TL was a total rip off. My friends who owned BMW's were the most influence on my decision to not get one. Most have had issues with the cars and warned me that they pay excessive costs for maintenance. The 330ci in particular seemed to have a big following of angry owners due to computer and ignition issues with the car. I say to each his own but I hope you plan to get the extended warranty and have deep pockets to maintain it.

D.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Advanced

This is funny. Everybody said at the beginning if my car was a BMW? So your "TL styling too bland...to much like TSX...not unique enough" is, I say, wrong. To all these people I responded: "No, you are crazy, this is the 2004 Acura TL". Regardless, I congratulate you. BMW are nice cars (they do have problems), but my point is, everybody drives one. I wanted something more unique....at least for some time. Now that I remembered, I have a friend who got 1992 BMW 525 (brand new) and had to give it to charity last year...the car was so bad, cost a fortune to maintain, the paint peeled off. Amazing.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Instructor

My $.02

RWD- Yeah, its different, but better, that issue will never be resolved.

Bland Styling - remember the current 3 series is at the end of its product cycle, there is a new one (Chris Bangle design-yeck) coming soon. So in a year or two, he'll be driving the old 3 series, while the TL folks will have the new model still... Also, "too much like the TSX", how many TSXs are on the road? Not that many. If you want to get noticed buy a TSX or a TL they are way more unique than the 3-series Yuppie-mobile.

Quality - you have to remember, that this forum is a small percentage of TL owners. There are a lot of cars being driven out there by happy owners that have never heard of the internet. Also I know several folks that have 3 series and even now, this late in its life cycle it still has problems. I bet the 04 TL is overall more reliable than a 04 3 series.

Made in USA - just depends on who is making it in the USA, not necessarily where it is being made.

Chick magnet - hard to comment on this without getting too personal, but if the girl is attracted to the car first, won't she always be looking for the next better car and not the driver? Its been my experience that folks that worry about what car someone drives are just too shallow to last relationship wise. If all you want is something short term, well go ahead and use the car as bait. If you want something long term, your barking up the wrong tree.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:39 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

To add a comment about the TSX styling and the TL looking like it...I own both as you can see in my sig and can say besides the lights they are very different and both get many looks when out and about. I have had people roll down the window at lights to comment both cars and to say they look very classy and fast. Mostly from middle aged people. Face it, the Acura's have a new bold look and people notice and like them. I have yet to hear someone make a comment on the street that they didn't like the looks of the cars. I'm active in about 3 car clubs and everyone has raved over both cars. So to say they are bland is just closed minded in my opinion.

D.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I don't understand the 'bland' comment. Never an Asian company went so far in designing a bold and Eur-opulent sedan. It is one of the best sedan designs ever and I say this even if I hated the previous one.

The 330i is also a great car and purchasing it is certainly not a mistake.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:26 AM
BOOK EM

Glad I sold my 99 m3 convt. before the scheduled maintanance arrived. Not worth it. Proud owner of a 04 TL 6spd w Navi.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:55 AM
CEO of IMHO

re: BMW 3 vs. TL

They are totally different types of cars, folks. Specifically, if you're 24 and into image and style, why the heck would you buy a mid-sized sedan?

I certainly wouldn't! If I had $56k CDN (whatever that is ) at 24, I'd be buying a really nice coupe or Bimmer 3 as well. Why the heck not?

Safety, gadgets, reliability? Pffft! Boyz just wanna have fun!

That said, I've always been the kind of guy who likes sporty performance mixed with class and value. Hence my two prior Integras (95 and 97).

I have been waiting since 2001 for a proper "upgrade" from my Integra, and I thought the TSX was it. Until I test drove it. The 4 cyl just bummed me out big time. It felt like a gussied Integra, from the engine performance perspective.

Then the TL came out... well, now that I'm 34, a small mid-sized sedean seems a bit more interesting to me now. Note: I said small mid-sized. The old TLs (also mid-sized sendas) were just too boat-y and Oldsmobile-like for someone with my tastes and sense of style.

So, for this guy to say the new TL is too bland for him, that's probably equivalent to me saying that the 03 TL was too bland for me.

Fair enough!

Jon
Old 11-07-2003, 09:00 AM
Comptech Freak

i think a porsche 911 or a Ferrari would attract more chicks than a 330i right???

and it's more fun to drive either~ haha
Old 11-07-2003, 09:05 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Try bolting on a few mods to the TSX....it's a whole new car after that. I have no problem hanging with modded RSX Type S's in my car club. It's tuned more for milage/low noise I think from the factory. All it needs is a couple grand in bolts ons and it's a very fun car to drive.

D.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Advanced

I dont think he really got the BMW because it gets more chicks...i think he was just trying to make a silly comment.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Racer

I have to add my 2 cents worth here.

I'm 24 and like the new TL in every way, and besides I already have a BMW 325 so I guess this is a step forward into a more practical car.

The other thing I would like to mention is the fact that girls/women like nice looking cars. Regardless of whether its a BMW or an ACURA, they know what looks nice when they see it. So for someone to think that a 330 will get "chicks" better than a TL is an uneducated guess. The only extra "chicks" that you'll get with the BMW are the ones that think you are loaded and want you to buy them everything...Hahaha!

So, buy whatever makes you happy

Chad
Old 11-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Instructor

3-seriesi are nice cars. I just traded a 2000 for a 04 TL. If you are cancerned about problems let me tell you that I have had plenty of minor ones with the BMW. Still a great car like my new TL though.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Drifting

I'm a "chick" and when I see a guy in a Bimmer expecially a little 3-series, I'm thinking (1) No competition, I can beat, I know I can beat him. (2) Cute but small, slower and reaching for a status symbol (3) I'd rather have the 5 if I could afford one

But I will say they are really cute cars, and I'm sure you'll have fun. And watch out for those "chicks" who only want you because of what you drive (their scary)!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:16 AM
10th Gear

i'm 24 also and am expecting my new tl to arrive any day now.

i helped my girlfriend find a mint 2001 325. its perfect for her. small and cute.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:01 AM
CEO of IMHO

I'm envious of all you 24 year olds that can afford $35k cars.

Congratulations!

Jon
Old 11-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Racer

Originally posted by samkws
-If the chicks like u coz of your Bimmer, then congrats!!! u r an
The '03 330i I had was built in Germany.

I think BMW added the free maintinance due to the concerns over high maintinance and repairs costs. How sad that they feel the need to resort to that instead of building higher quality autos.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Does the BMW come with a turn signal as standard equipment? I only ask beacuse most of the ones I see on the road appear not to have one.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Racer

Around where i live, 3 series cars are sooo common. Everyone and their grandma has one. It no longer has an appeal to most people over here. I mean sure..its a bimmer but all i hear is "Oh..another 3 series..who cares. " And the whole chick issue. I drive an 03 TLS..my best friend drives a 330i. Whenever we go to the same places who do you think gets all the looks and compliments..ME! Who do most of the girls look at..ME(and my car..haha). Honestly, i like bimmers, but they aren't really attention getters unless they are obviously "fixed up" compared to all the other ones around. By the way, i'm 18
Old 11-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Instructor

It's worse here in Silicon Valley! You can't go outside without seeing bimmers all over the place!!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:29 PM
3rd Gear

Hey guys

-TL Made in America

Drove the 330Ci Convertable, 325Ci, and the X5 4.4 last weekend at BMW Precision Driving Event held in El Toro. Right after the event, I took my gf to test drive the 04' TL.

The TL has more power and the interior is roomier. For $33K compare with $41K for the bimmer with similar options, it's definely a better buy if you consider value. If you enjoy driving a stick, the 6-speed TL with LSD and Brembos won't disappoint you in any ways. The BMW on the other hand is more of a compact sedan. More tossable and nimble, but it is an aging platform. Just go and do a real test drive and decide for youself. I personaly will go for the 330i with sport package in the manual, although the TL with S-speed is nearly as good.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:06 PM
9th Gear

Some additional thoughts, from a long time BMW 3 series owner, on the fence for a new TL

1) RWD -- RWD is much more fun. You don't have to be a race car driver, and you don't have to be juvenile to appreciate it. It doesn't really matter if you are skilled enough to get better performance numbers with RWD (doubt many on this board are), it is just more fun for spirited driving. With RWD you don't have to deal with torque steer, or number steering to try and mask it. You can steer with the throttle through turns (again, without driving like a maniac) as well. There is a reason that most of the worlds best performance cars use RWD (including the great NSX). That said, if you live where it snows, FWD is a better option.

Value -- TL is definitely a better deal. More stuff, great engine, cheaper price. Not as solid feeling as the Germans, or as quiet on the inside, but still a more car for the money.

Reliability -- Acura more reliable, but BMWs do not break down all the time. I've owned 4 3 series, and never once been stranded. Cheap plastic parts tend to fall off in the interior, but the engines are very reliable. Everyone has their own story of "my friends BMW broke all the time," but check out the objective numbers, and BMW isn't that bad. The big problem is after warranty, they do break down more often, and are VERY expensive to fix. Got to get the extended warranty, or get a new car.

Styling -- To each their own -- that's it.

Chick magnet -- Just my opinion, but that shouldn't be the reason to buy a car. If that's the deciding factor, get the 325 instead. Much cheaper, and "chicks" won't know the difference.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Racer

Hey guys

-TL Made in America

So you were willing to pay an extra 12K for RWD, which I'm sure you'll love in winter, and to impress women. Are these women really worth the extra 12K? And if so, why would you want to be with someone whose opinion of you depends on what car you drive? And if you're really worried about what women will think of you, just think about what most women say about a guy who drives a flashy car and what he's overcompensating for. Is that what you want women to think?
Old 11-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Racer

I have a RWD BMW and it CAN'T handle the snow without aggressive snow tires. That's why I am going for the FWD.

2 more cents...

Chad

Quick Reply: Bought a 330i instead