Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Bottom Line on TL problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bottom Line on TL problems

Let me get this straight...as I look through this entire website and all the threads when you cut to the chase the only systemic problems are memory seats, tires, and drooping headliner. These are all extremely minor issues. My point is, reliability of powertrain and overall quality is excellent compared to most other cars, right?? Or am I missing something here??
Old 04-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thomwarn
Let me get this straight...as I look through this entire website and all the threads when you cut to the chase the only systemic problems are memory seats, tires, and drooping headliner. These are all extremely minor issues. My point is, reliability of powertrain and overall quality is excellent compared to most other cars, right?? Or am I missing something here??

ABOSLUTELY CORRECT!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
you hit that sucker on the nail.. some have rattles, I havent had a single rattle.. other than that, a great car!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Nope, not missing anything... all the major stuff is ok and most of the minor problems you listed have been fixed on later builds.

Welcome to the world of the automotive internet bulletin board, where the most minor problem will create 87 duplicate topics daily and small complaints get blown up into huge ones.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Oh yeah, I forgot the rattles. So it's rattles, tires, headliner and memory seats...right?? I still say that's not too bad, and I've got to believe all the other cars folks are touting on this website MUST HAVE issues similar to this.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Oh yeah, I forgot the rattles. So it's rattles, tires, headliner and memory seats...right?? I still say that's not too bad, and I've got to believe all the other cars folks are touting on this website MUST HAVE issues similar to this.
Yup, they do, some worse then others... and if you visit their boards you'll see the same thing.... multiple topics daily about the smallest of problems.....
Old 04-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Team Anthracite Member

That pretty much covers it - I'm enjoying a smooth tranny, responsive braking, killer looks inside and out and a kick-ass sound system - all stock - no complaints. So as long as the headliner doesn't come loose smacking me on the head, causing me to swerve hard, causing my Bridgestones to blow and on impact the memory seat malfunctions and pushes me into the steering wheel!! All kidding aside I LOVE this car. Best deal on wheels out there. :worship:
Old 04-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Thanks- I just wanted to make sure I'm not reading more into all this stuff, like I bought a crappy car or something. I still believe I made the right choice over the G35.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks- I just wanted to make sure I'm not reading more into all this stuff, like I bought a crappy car or something. I still believe I made the right choice over the G35.
Both are good cars.... couldn't have gone wrong either way....
Old 04-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Instructor

NOw thats the attitude i wanna hear! :cop:
Old 04-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up

Exactly. This is a great thread, as a counter-point to a couple of recent ones by potential buyers saying they've been, or are close to being, scared off by "all of the problems" people are complaining about on this forum. You've summed it up perfectly - minor stuff, considering this is a new design, and it's all being addressed by Acura. Overall, the TL is a fantastic car!
Old 04-08-2004, 12:37 PM
BOOK EM

Don`t forget the T616 bluetooth crackling
Old 04-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by danno

Whoa, that's a new one to me (but then again, I don't read every post on this board). My T616 works perfectly. Is this a common T616 problem or is it a general bluetooth problem?

BTW, I have had ZERO problems with my car (knocks woods) in the month since I bought it (have over a thousand miles on it). Hope this continues...

derscott
Old 04-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by danno
That doesn't necessarily imply that the crackling problem is caused by the car. Numerous owners pairing a T616 with a TL have eliminated the crackling by upgrading the phone's firmware, which would tend to exonerate the car, don't you think?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent thread. Let me add that even the problems listed - rattles, headliner, etc. - may not be as common as this forum makes them seem. There's no scientific way to use this forum to estimate what percent of TLs actually have these problems - it could be quite low. Something like 95% of TL owners have never visited here and never will. And even many of us who are here don't have these problems.

Bottom line - the TL is a great car, and anyone who really wants one but decides against it because of the stuff on this forum is just missing out.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Banned

OK, don’t forget the other hot issues:

1. 1500rpm vibration and drowning sound. The vibration occurs at 30 – 35mph and again from 48-60mph along with a measured 5-6dB increase in sound level inside the cabin at those times (measured by vtec.net on a press car, and was louder at that point than at 70mph and close to full throttle levels). This is under steady speed conditions, not acceleration, as when in traffic. Acura has admitted to this problem and called it an exhaust resonance problem that has no fix in the near future (maybe in 2005?). The MDX has a similar problem but at 2000rpms, see mdx.org for details. Acura is calling this a “Normal Characteristic” of the car, for such a smooth car, this is not normal.

2. The Leather Seats – the side bolsters are showing heavy signs of deep creases after a few months of use, the seat looks 5 yrs old after a few months. I have shown this to other people in the auto industry and they say that it is not normal and totally unacceptable. Acura (in one of the other posts) said that they know about this and are working on a solution. NOTE – this is NOT the butt print issue, that IMO is nothing compared to this (this will be a leather cracking issue in due time from my experience).

3. Don't forget the hard starting (anywhere from 1-4 cranks to get the car to turn over). Acura says it is normal, but can be embarrassing in front of friend or associates in a brand new car.

The seats are a pain in the A$$ as replacement of the covers never turns out right and the seats get lumpy, once they do fix it.

The vibration is unbearable to some people (some don’t even notice it), it all depends on how sensitive you are. And from what it seems, this is not that easily fixed.

Things are not all rosy in TL land! :banghead:
Old 04-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tread
3. Don't forget the hard starting (anywhere from 1-4 cranks to get the car to turn over). Acura says it is normal, but can be embarrassing in front of friend or associates in a brand new car.
That is normal due to the high compression of the engine. Nothing can be done about it.

Exhaust resonance... well, I have headers, intake and exhaust in my TL, so the odds are the 2004 TL will sound quiet to me and probably my wife as well since she's used to my car.

Seats, wonder if that's all seats.... I guess only time will tell. Still only minor problems (except possibly the resonance) when you take all things into consideration. Go onto any other board during a redesign or relaunch and you'll see much worse issues.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Advanced

A falling headliner on a new 35K automobile is minor? I have some swamp land to sell you!
Old 04-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kgoessling
A falling headliner on a new 35K automobile is minor? I have some swamp land to sell you!
Absolutely. If it was on every single car it would be different, but it's not... so, minor. The fix is to re-glue or re-stick the headliner to the cross-beams... minor. Now, if your tranny was failing or the engines were blowing... that wouldn't be minor... but the rest of the stuff is. Just little annoyances that pop up here and there are not major issues. Some people may consider the flat-spotting a little more then minor which is debatable, however, anyone who's ever had good aftermarket high performance tires has experienced this, so they may not consider it major.....

I hate to break it to you... but the average car nowadays sells for around $30k.... so the TL isn't exactly much above the average. Not that it makes it OK to have these stupid things happening, but remember, it's a first year redesign.... stupid little problems like that always pops up, no matter who makes the car.... so the choice is to either wait until the mid-year runs on the current model or wait until the next model year is released. Otherwise the odds are you'll have to deal with the minor inconveniences of a redesign.

Oh and BTW, swampland could be very valuable... so if you have a good price I'd be interested. I know many malls, schools and communities that have been built on such land, so you could make a ton of money on that, so you may want to hold onto it.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Instructor

I heard it's a $5.00 repair job to the dealer, so I would say that's minor!
Old 04-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Old 04-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Advanced

I hate to break this to you, but a headliner should not fall out of a new car if it cost 10K or 100K. Its all about QUALITY and Acura does not know the meaning of the word.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:56 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Absolutely. If it was on every single car it would be different, but it's not... so, minor. The fix is to re-glue or re-stick the headliner to the cross-beams... minor. Now, if your tranny was failing or the engines were blowing... that wouldn't be minor... but the rest of the stuff is. Just little annoyances that pop up here and there are not major issues. Some people may consider the flat-spotting a little more then minor which is debatable, however, anyone who's ever had good aftermarket high performance tires has experienced this, so they may not consider it major.....

I hate to break it to you... but the average car nowadays sells for around $30k.... so the TL isn't exactly much above the average. Not that it makes it OK to have these stupid things happening, but remember, it's a first year redesign.... stupid little problems like that always pops up, no matter who makes the car.... so the choice is to either wait until the mid-year runs on the current model or wait until the next model year is released. Otherwise the odds are you'll have to deal with the minor inconveniences of a redesign.

Oh and BTW, swampland could be very valuable... so if you have a good price I'd be interested. I know many malls, schools and communities that have been built on such land, so you could make a ton of money on that, so you may want to hold onto it.
I agree that flat spoting on high performance summer tires is common these days as most have switched to a nylon overwrap belt as this keeps the belt packages in the tire nice and tight at the high speeds (over 150) as the nylon constricts at high temps and holds the belts together. The downside is that in cold temps, the nylon belt also has a memory effect causing the flat spots.

This has to do with the new fed laws for tires, thanks to the firestone/explorer issue and underinflation. It is harder and harder to get high speed rated tires that don't have nylon belts, and since the EL-42's are all seasons, they see those cold temps.

This is the price paid for a car that does 150mph, otherwise, you could go to a T rated tire, many of those don't have the nylon as they do not need the high speed/temp stability that the W rated tires do. In many cases we have taken a step backwards in tire technolgy in terms of flat spoting, in which one tire dealer said he had "not heard of that since Bias Ply tires were around"
Old 04-08-2004, 03:02 PM