Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Shop Says My Truck Isn't Totaled

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Shop Says My Truck Isn't Totaled

Let me catch you up on my situation first. I wrecked my truck back in mid-May. Three quarter horses were out roaming in a major 2-lane road @ 4am. I was on my way to work and hit all three horses. I totaled the front end of the truck and had to be towed. Prior to this accident I was rear-ended at a dead stop by a lady going 65mph in January. I had just got the truck back in late March, and then the accident in May. So back to the main part of the story...Body shop tells me, "Wow, 3 horses looks like your truck may be totaled." So after hearing this I start looking at new cars, I've decided on getting a TL. So on Friday I get this call, "Mr James, your truck would have been ready today, but we got caught up in other stuff. It'll be ready for you on Monday." I just bought the truck last May and already 2 accidents (never had an accident in the 11 years I've been driving, and now 2 in one year). The truck is only worth $17K and I owe $32 (thank God for GAP insurance). When I got rearended it cost $5K to repair the rear. I know it cost more than that to fix the front. A Ford rep also told me that the warranty on the truck has expired to the rear and front because of damage, so now my then flawless truck has no warranty except for the interior and cab area. I was under the impression that the insurance will total out a vehicle if it's cost to repair is 75% of the value of the vehicle. I know the truck had to cost at least $12-13K to repair (exterior parts, engine parts, paint, hours). Now I'm not a superstitious one, but I was told "these things happen in 3's" The only part that hasn't had any "real" damage was the cab (cracked rear windshield and back of cab from 1st, cracked front windshield, fenders pushed into doors on 1nd), but I'm worried if the "3rd" happens to the cab area. I dunno, I'm still paying on the truck for another 4 more years, and now I'm screwed cause there is no warranty and it's a Ford. I wish the insurance would just total it, I mean, they're not paying for it, the horse owner's home owners insuarnce is. Thanks for listening/reading...just needed to get that out, Roy
Old 06-13-2004, 04:14 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
off topic
Old 06-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about your bad luck. Pictures will help the great unwashed to know whether your truck should be totalled. There are several members of the site who are very knowledgeable in these insurance matters who, I'm sure, will chime in. If it's as bad as you say it is, you may be stuck "upside down" forever on your loan...and wouldn't be able to trade for the TL....

I hope this works out
Old 06-13-2004, 07:42 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No repairs can occur on your trunk unless you authorize the work. Did you sign something allowing them to work on it? If so, why? Also, why would you be out the $'s on either accident? Didn't insurance pay for each one? If your not including the repiar cost, why do you owe $32K on a $17K truck? Or more exactly HOW do you owe that much? I also have never had GAP insurance but I believe it is designed to make up the difference between market value and what you owe. Certainly, there can't be $15K difference between those two, can there?