Sponsored by:

Body Panel Gaps and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Body Panel Gaps and Warranty

I don't think my hood gap is right.

Actually I know it's a bit off, just by looking at it. Driver side, near the window is, say, 3/16". Same side, at the Grill is, say, 3/32".

And I think it's making the Hood a little harder to close. The Drop/Push from 2 feet, doesn't always catch the latch.

It also make a little more "overhang" at the front left grill area.

My question: Is the adjustment of this gap a warranty item? Will I catch a bunch of crap from the Dealer if I take it in?

(FWIW - Dealer Service Dept seems pretty helpful and friendly so far.)

TIA.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Not sure I would make a trip just for this, but if you're there for something else, go ahead and ask.

FWIW, the last time I was there, I got stuck working with the guy who sits at the desk to the right (Scott, I believe)...not recommended...came across as the sterotypical SA that you read about here. Stick with the guys to the left...Matt (last desk) or the guy at the front desk (forget his name). From overhearing him with other customers, the guy in front of Matt (3rd desk) seemed pretty good, too.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just HOPE this is a joke. The SIZE of the gaps as a warranty issue? Of COURSE it's NOT a warranty issue. Now, the ability of the hood to close seemlessly, that COULD be an issue but probably is not. Any minor "fender-benders" that might have caused a slight change in the body form pressure? Any mods (like suspension) on this car, etc... The dealer will most likely look at the hood closing and do their best to make it more smooth and say thjay covered it "under warranty" but it's more likely simple "good will".

PS - I JUST saw that you list "shaved door handles" as a mod on this car? Exactly HOW did you "shave" them? Seems like it would have taken bodywork to accomplish. Any chance of that mod effecting the body panels? Who did THAT work? maybe you should have them look at the issues first.

BTW - Matt Smith is THE BEST service writer in Charlotte. ALWAYS responsive and actually seems to care if you got good service. I'd give him 11's if I could
Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

^^^My guess would be he means the shaved door lock mod...putting a rear handle piece on in place of the one with a hole in it on the driver door handle.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:09 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by chill_dog
^^^My guess would be he means the shaved door lock mod...putting a rear handle piece on in place of the one with a hole in it on the driver door handle.
LOL! I guess there is a WORLD of difference between those two. Yep, now that you mention it, I do recall others referring to "sliding" a piece of plastic onto the existing handle as a mod. I wouldn't call it "shaved" but then again, I am older and a shaved door mod to me is NO DOOR handle AT all.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Zero Mods that could effect this.

No, I don't mean to go around and measure all the gaps to the nth degree and then whine about trivial differences. I don't do that.

I mean to the extent the hood seems slightly mis-aligned (judging by gap differences) and this makes latching the hood a minor problem.

It kills me to do the 2 foot Drop & Push, then just hear the Dead Thunk that comes when the latch slams onto the top of the hook. Had to drop it 3 times yesterday for it catch.

I've been working with Robert (1st desk on the left). He's been helpful and responsive both times I've been in.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

ndabunka - I am younger (compared to you, based on your comment), and that's what I'd call a shaved door mod. In fact, it's on the list of things to do to whatever convertible I buy in a few years...great mod for a coupe, not so great for a sedan.

Bearcat - that might've been who I worked with at that desk...can't remember...but he was really helpful, so it could be. Just talk to him the next time you're in for service.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Zero Mods that could effect this.

No, I don't mean to go around and measure all the gaps to the nth degree and then whine about trivial differences. I don't do that.

I mean to the extent the hood seems slightly mis-aligned (judging by gap differences) and this makes latching the hood a minor problem.

It kills me to do the 2 foot Drop & Push, then just hear the Dead Thunk that comes when the latch slams onto the top of the hook. Had to drop it 3 times yesterday for it catch.

I've been working with Robert (1st desk on the left). He's been helpful and responsive both times I've been in.

"I just HOPE this is a joke. The SIZE of the gaps as a warranty issue? Of COURSE it's NOT a warranty issue."

At first I thought you were joking ndabunka :-) - you are wrong however...

My time as a tech and working next to the body shop I probably fixed more gap issues under warranty than I took dumps at the dealership. This was a very common complaint and process. Today, given much better manufacturing processes it's much less prevalent to have bad gaps, but I can tell you I adjusted every door, trunk, and fender on my 04TL about 5 days after I brought it home. The TL, especially the 04s had numerous issues with gaps - they even removed the "gap praise" comment out of the 04TL brochure because of it!

Bottom line Bearcat94, do not hesitate to point out the fact that the hood is not aligned - especially if it goes beyond "looks" and is effecting the closing etc.. Your dealership should completely understand you're concern. Now, as Ndabunka mentioned, if you have mod'd or messed around in a way that they could blame on you, then they may say no. But it doesn't sound like that is the case.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2007, 12:23 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by KJSmitty

"I just HOPE this is a joke. The SIZE of the gaps as a warranty issue? Of COURSE it's NOT a warranty issue."

At first I thought you were joking ndabunka :-) - you are wrong however...

My time as a tech and working next to the body shop I probably fixed more gap issues under warranty than I took dumps at the dealership. This was a very common complaint and process. Today, given much better manufacturing processes it's much less prevalent to have bad gaps, but I can tell you I adjusted every door, trunk, and fender on my 04TL about 5 days after I brought it home. The TL, especially the 04s had numerous issues with gaps - they even removed the "gap praise" comment out of the 04TL brochure because of it!

Bottom line Bearcat94, do not hesitate to point out the fact that the hood is not aligned - especially if it goes beyond "looks" and is effecting the closing etc.. Your dealership should completely understand you're concern. Now, as Ndabunka mentioned, if you have mod'd or messed around in a way that they could blame on you, then they may say no. But it doesn't sound like that is the case.

Good luck
Hmmm, really? How do you get someone to satisfaction at such a nit-picky level? I mean the hood SHOULD close properly and that should be a warranty issue but someone looking at the hood of the car and "preferring" that both the right-hand gap and the left hand gap be both exactly .075 inches seems a bit petty to me. Also, what happens if the guy brings the car in over and over because he's not 'satisfied" with the effort the techs put in? Is he going to then claim a lemon law due to warranty because the car has "unacceptable gaps"? I know this may be pushing the issue a bit but I really did not think that most consumers today would be THAT concerned about the gaps on a relatively in-expensive, mass-produced vehicle. I mena, it's not like the guy just dropped $185K on a new Mercedes SL65 or anything. It's a HONDA, man! Deal with it! LOL
Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ndabunka
Hmmm, really? How do you get someone to satisfaction at such a nit-picky level? I mean the hood SHOULD close properly and that should be a warranty issue but someone looking at the hood of the car and "preferring" that both the right-hand gap and the left hand gap be both exactly .075 inches seems a bit petty to me. Also, what happens if the guy brings the car in over and over because he's not 'satisfied" with the effort the techs put in? Is he going to then claim a lemon law due to warranty because the car has "unacceptable gaps"? I know this may be pushing the issue a bit but I really did not think that most consumers today would be THAT concerned about the gaps on a relatively in-expensive, mass-produced vehicle. I mena, it's not like the guy just dropped $185K on a new Mercedes SL65 or anything. It's a HONDA, man! Deal with it! LOL
Could not become a lemon law case due to not effecting the use, safety, or significant resale issue. I for one wouldn't care if it was a $9000 Kia I would expect the body panels to line up correctly - both visually and operationally. If more people actually "questioned" quality on all manufactured goods now days and didn't have a "just deal with it" attitude, quality wouldn't be in the shitter that it is today. That's not a jab at you but a fact.

Anyone that's been around cars and marketing knows that panel fitment and gap consistency are huge for any car enthusiast. Manufacturers definitely have requirements and standards in this area and will correct something if it's truly either visually or functionally "off".

Hopefully that will be the case for Bearcat94

Cheers
Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Panel fitment and gap consistency is huge for some car enthusiasts yes. It would be a big deal if panels were off after an accident or blatantly off from the factory. It's really not much of a problem for the average consumer. We also get what we pay for and the TL is a bargain in its segment. The Type S is creeping up, but it's still reasonable.

Every TL has the passenger side interior panel off which is very obvious where the metal trim meets on the dash and door panel. We're all enthusiasts here, but only a handful seem to mention it as a deal breaker for the car. Or the glove box mis-alignment.

My issues would be the numerous rattles caused by clips breaking and careless assembly. Also having my regulators replaced and run channels cleaned. Not to mention the exterior passenger side rear door handle cover falling. And last, my transmission which seems to forget how to upshift every now and then. I'm really debating whether I should keep this car past the warranty period just because of these reasons.

Honda needs to get that right before we even begin with gaps. That's the least of my concern. Especially when this car is bone stock.