Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew my engine :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by lexo350
I'm sorry but I've got to chime in and say you guys are being just a bit hard on him. Especially all this nonsense about the extreme danger of going 80 on a highway. He may have been doing more than 80, there's no way to tell other than what he says, but the fact remains that ALL of you have gone at least 80 at some point. If you haven't, you're driving the wrong car.
I'm sorry pull your head out of your ass, the OP admitted he mis shifted so why in on gods green earth should Acura cover it? I've driven well past 80 but I actually know how to drive stick, why should Acura be responsible because the OP cant? that is the dumbest argument i've ever heard.

Driving a powerful luxury sedan does not mean you have to surpass the speed limit, while I've done it myself that is by no means the intention of the design of the vehicle, and you need to reconsider your vehicle purchase. You need to smarten the **** up before you kill someone.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by justinl401
Yah I understand its my fault, but the fact of it is that it was an accident. I shifted into second going 80 i meant to shift to fourth, you guys never missed a gear?
Speaking for myself, yes.. I have certainly missed gears both when upshifting and downshifting. I am not about to flame you like some others have seen fit to do. However, I feel I must say this. During a missed shift, it should become almost immediately obvious as soon as you start to release the clutch, that you are in the wrong gear. You would know this because of the highly irregular resistance to RPM change that your engine would exhibit. The only way you would not know this (as in reacting quicker than evaluating) would be if the shift and clutch release were done very fast.

So yes, I have missed shifts. But no, I have never done what you have done. I am sorry you have had to experience this to the tune of some serious money. As some have offered, perhaps the shop will cut you some slack on parts or labor, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

To the rest of you, lighten up a little. The guy is hurting as is.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look up my posts you'll find that I mis-shifted into second and bent all my valves. This happened nov 2006......I think. The reason I ended up shifting into 2nd was because my trans jumps out of 3rd and 4th gears. One night pulling out onto the parkway it jumped out of fourth and when I reacted to put it back into 4th I put it into 2nd. My car was running but the CEL went on. Acura will not cover anything under warranty. I had to have my heads replaced. I did not go to Acura to have it done. They wanted $800 for a "tear down" to tell me what was wrong with the car. My mechanic, without a "tear down" said your valves are bent and need new heads. Took about a month to get the heads from acura and cost me $4100. Good luck with everything, I know what you're going through.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
I'm sorry pull your head out of your ass,

Doug, separate yourself from Ramblings when you post in 3G.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP man sorry that SUCKS.

I do find it funny tough how many are are quick to say don't expect Acura to pay for your mistake but, well maybe you can get the insurance company to pay. Not sure why its ok for them to pay either. It is not a collision.

Anyway hope you can afford the repairs without too much of a drain.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Racer

I'm not gonna lie, my last manual was an integra and I used to downshift to second all the time. Kinda did it a few times on the TL and relized how different the 6speed is...sorry

Hey some advice, call up your insurance company, and see if they would cover it, worse things is you pay the deductible..I know my cuz did it on his integra when he hydrolocked it, however they totaled it out...I don't think they will do that to a $30k car...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM
TL-S BeASt

I agree that some of you guys on this post are f**king tight A**ses. The kid made a mistake and is simply asking whether or not it is covered. I'm sure acura slithers out of a lot of repairs with b*llsh*t reasons as to why its not covered when they could really do it if they wanted too. I thought we are here to support each other and advise the best possible solution. Shit happens!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I thought the TL had a rev limiter? To prevent this?
the rev limiter is nothing but software. if the engine physically revs to 10,000 rpm there is nothing a bunch of zeros and ones can do to help.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

hey its okay, i have to say i never blew my motor when i miss shift but now u know when to stomp on that clutch when u hear the rev or throw into neutral.. but now for the fags and the mr know it all, you probably dont know how to drive stick or think you know how to drive stick... what $3,000 for the kid "if money solves problem then fix it one way or another work hard play hard if not sell your used stuff on ebay and get that TL on the road with a brand new clutch kit and flywheel it is not that bad after all .. keep your head up"
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Just can't help myself but have to chime in on this one. I still drive fast at age 60 but am a lot more careful now. Should have killed myself at 16, 17, 18... but that's not what this thread is about. Everyone driving a manual will miss a shift now and then but I think the real reason Justin did this is because he was "crusing" at speed with his buddies and obviously showing off. In this mode, you would not feel the subtle difference, the resistance or the sudden revs going up since your focus is on your buddies. Had he been alone, things may have been different.

And now that we are in the era of "Lack of Personal Responsibility", it is time to attempt to pin it on someone else; either Acura or insurance as an "accident", both of which will probably not cover it. Time to suck it up, say you screwed up and get out the checkbook.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a 350z before... and I missed a shift once... and there was like a grinding noise... which immedietly told my brain miss shift no gas up shift... what was your brain telling you?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Admiral Crunch

Yikes man. What are you doing in 3rd gear at 80? Racing someone? Pretty reckless first of all...

I've mis-shifted before (who hasn't) but going from third to second sounds kinda silly, I've gone from 4th to 3rd on my 5speed, and I've done 5th to 4th on this car, but I've never missed 4th for second.

I feel bad for you but you gotta own up dude. It's an expensive lesson, but still a lesson. Hopefully they won't rape you too bad with the price, and hopefully the damage isn't too extensive.

Additionally, if you're gonna be revving the engine that high... be more careful with your shifts.

Well, whatever. Sucks either way. Good luck with the repairs... and learn from this.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
08' TL-S RuLeZ

damn... I wonder how MUCH the acura will charge you for getting it fixed..

Sorry to hear that.

Its so f**ked up that one single mistake just blow away the $30k car.

Good shit that I have 5at..LOL
Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Busting some beats...

either way, to the OP, like I said earlier, stuff happens, you can't help that. Don't listen to the flaming. Just talk to both Acura and insurance and hope for the best. But definately lesson learned.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Depends on the dealer....but I would say they wont cover it given the event history in the computer. Maybe under good will, but I doubt it unless you are over 35 or so.

Put it this way...my buddy just bought a new EVO X and the gas pedal broke off while he was racing at a local dragway on Tuesday nite drags....they saw him out there and voided his warrantee on the GAS PEDAL when he tried to get it fixed the following day.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think twice shortly after I got my 6MT I *almost* did a 5 to 2 [or maybe 5 to 4] shift - but when I started to let off the clutch I could tell it didn't feel right and avoided disaster.. my big concern for a few weeks was going from 5th to reverse on the freeway but I read the part in the owners manual about Reverse lockout until my mind was at ease..

Good luck; if they tell you straight up that abuse isn't covered [which this is, even if it's an accident] you might be able to work with them on pricing or go in 50/50 for the repair/replacement.. Just be nice and realize they don't have to help you at all.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bummer, find a used motor somwhere and get that sucker in there cheap. I was once redlining 4th in my old '98 Accord and went for 5th and smoked 3rd. I saw the Tach kiss 8K and my heart skipped a beat but all was well thank God. I did the same thing you did to your TL to my '03 CLS once but caught it before the tach got to 7700rpm but the redline is much higher on the CLS motor. Good luck. What did the dealer find in the motor? Try to get a pic of the carnage if you can.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Pro

http://www.haprecycling.com/ has a wrecked TL if u need parts lol

sorry to hear bro! jus be more careful next time!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
"then the car got shipped off to Acura ... still waiting to hear from them"

SO, does this mean the dealer turned the car over to acura corp-like a regional warranty center or garage of their own for a teardown inspection.
Or is the dealer doing the teardown and then then warranty guy comes and looks at it?
They want to know why it stopped completely- engine- clutch plate explosion or what.
In a normal overrev- it goes into limp mode- while yours stopped dead.

What amused me most about the first post was the concern that they would void warranty based on ~cruising around at high speeds most of the night~ !
Not - I found the wrong gear- is that warranty issue lol

Track day driving schools at your local roadrace track run 150-250 dollars for a day with your car on track, and a pro racer coaching you.
Education is a good thing. Safety is a must!
Bringing the car home 3 feet shorter or on the flatbed=== total bummers-- IMO
Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justinl401
I was driving around on the highway crusing for most of the night at some pretty high speeds with some of my buddies. I was going about 80 mph and I went to shift to fourth and I accidently shifted to second .
Not flaming, not going to be mean at all, but I am curious; If you were on the highway moving at 80 MPH, and (assuming) not racing, why were you downshifting into ANY lower gear? IMO, 80 MPH is solidly in '6th gear territory', and there's no reason I can imagine for wanting to make the engine run at higher RPM's other than to accellerate hard and burn up a bunch of that very expensive premium gas. And if for some reason you did need to downshift (i.e. a slower vehicle in front of you), why 4th gear? At that speed 5th gear would really pull well. I suppose after all my years of manual trans driving I don't ever actually think, I just shift.

I wish the OP the best of luck both in his wallet and in the ability of the mechanic to have the engine running perfectly when he gets his beloved TL back on the road.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by teomcdohl
Yikes man. What are you doing in 3rd gear at 80? Racing someone? Pretty reckless first of all...
that is my question
I can understand missing a shift going from 5-4, and even then, i don't think you would've hit red line, so at least you would've saved the engine.

but you said you were cruising at 80 for a while. Which means you were cruising at 80 in 3rd gear? That's just wasting tons of gas.

Anyways, let this be a lesson to you. Also, next time when shifting from 3rd to 4th, try this method. i like to point my thumb downwards, back of the hand facing me, and shift (i do that going from 3rd --> 4th, and 5th --> 6th.) It's a method that, if you were to mis-shift, would more than likely cause the gearbox to go from 3rd to 6th as opposed to 3rd to 2nd, or from 5th to 6th (like you wanted) instead of 5th to 4th.

It's a tip i learned from a friend of mine who tracks all the time.

Best of luck to you in the situation. as many members have said, Acura most likely won't cover the damage. If they do, consider yourself very lucky.

Either way, let this be a very important lesson.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced

so honda and acura all have a computer that logs when you over rev the engine? hrm? My 6 speed I reved the engine tons of times, took to dealer and they never said anything. Is there a time limit on these things? Does it clear out?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

you may have revved it but not OVER revved it to the point of contact of exhaust valves to piston. If your car wont rev over 2500 rpm- they know why its in limp mode~

There is an accident recorder too, with the airbags
Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Advanced

ah, yeah never got to that point. and I agree that if you don't drive your car past 80, you might as well have gotten a kia lol. I dont have a manual, but my 6speed I "pushed" all the time, that's the fun in having a manual. Although 80 in 2nd is bad, but my clutch was touchy so I had to ease into gear, and if I mis shifted, you'd hear the engine start to over rev, and I'd immediately stomp the clutch back down. I have misshifted 5 to 2 missing 4th, but never engaged the gear completely.

hope it works out for you. we've all made stupid mistakes like this. live and learn.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Team Owner

This makes me appreciate the TipTronic SS auto trans even more.
We can use the flick shift for up or down a gear manual trans type play
without moving the foot used to brace with-
and the computer knows if a downshift will cause an overrev and refuses your request- since its all electronic, not mechanical interlink
Plus there is a rev limiter on the up shifts too, forget you are in SS hopping on the freeway-- and suddenly its badatbadabaabaabababda until you shift up or slow down.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
Not flaming, not going to be mean at all, but I am curious; If you were on the highway moving at 80 MPH, and (assuming) not racing, why were you downshifting into ANY lower gear? IMO, 80 MPH is solidly in '6th gear territory', and there's no reason I can imagine for wanting to make the engine run at higher RPM's other than to accellerate hard and burn up a bunch of that very expensive premium gas. And if for some reason you did need to downshift (i.e. a slower vehicle in front of you), why 4th gear? At that speed 5th gear would really pull well. I suppose after all my years of manual trans driving I don't ever actually think, I just shift.

I wish the OP the best of luck both in his wallet and in the ability of the mechanic to have the engine running perfectly when he gets his beloved TL back on the road.

Hey burbs, I think what he means is, he was in 3rd at 80mph and *meant* to shift into 4th, but accidently shifted into 2nd. That caused the over-rev and motor damage.

Why in 3rd at 80MPH. Not necessarily "cruising" at those rpms/speeds, maybe just a high rev run through the gears.

Although I've got a 5AT, I'll run through the gears (1st --> 2nd --> 3rd) with 6,000 - 6,800 rpm shifts from time-to-time. And 1st --> 2nd near/at the redline is a pretty normal occurance for me.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jcondon
To the OP man sorry that SUCKS.

I do find it funny tough how many are are quick to say don't expect Acura to pay for your mistake but, well maybe you can get the insurance company to pay. Not sure why its ok for them to pay either. It is not a collision.

Anyway hope you can afford the repairs without too much of a drain.
If he has full coverage, it will be a comprehensive claim. Will almost certainly raise his rates though.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Hey burbs, I think what he means is, he was in 3rd at 80mph and *meant* to shift into 4th, but accidently shifted into 2nd. That caused the over-rev and motor damage.

Why in 3rd at 80MPH. Not necessarily "cruising" at those rpms/speeds, maybe just a high rev run through the gears.
he said he was crusing, which to me sounds as if he was in 5th or 6th, went to shift into 4th, and pulled it into 2nd. still no clue how someone could mistake 2nd for 4th. you have to push the shifter to the left to get to 2nd, and 4th is a simple straight down motion.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by trancemission
Doug, separate yourself from Ramblings when you post in 3G.
My bad Trance, Had a few too many cocktails last night and forgot about the civility over here.

To the OP, Sorry for flaming on you, but I really do not think it is at all reasonable to expect Acura to do anything for you. Nothing that Acura has done cause the outcome of your mis shift, so how is it fair for them to pick up the tab for your mistake?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, we were all kids once and drove like idiot's when out with friends. He messed up so now he learned his leason and now has a blown engine to boot. I know when something I break that I own, I think can this be covered under warranty? No, then I fess up and pay up. Sorry to hear that you were showing off and ended up with a blown motor. Everyone has got there point across here. I know this kid is very sad at this point and you guys are making him feel that much worse.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:43 PM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mmade22
Wow, we were all kids once and drove like idiot's when out with friends. He messed up so now he learned his leason and now has a blown engine to boot. I know when something I break that I own, I think can this be covered under warranty? No, then I fess up and pay up. Sorry to hear that you were showing off and ended up with a blown motor. Everyone has got there point across here. I know this kid is very sad at this point and you guys are making him feel that much worse.
Agreed with the above, everyone here is criticizing and yelling at this kid for screwing up and over revving...I'm sure all of us here have raced on the highway and done stupid and dangerous things when we were younger... albeit, not in a TL but still did it. I mean when i had my 89 galant or even my civic, i was revving HI on the highway, weaving in and out of traffic. I don't do it anymore cause I realize its dumb and pretty dangerous...but i can't say I have never done it.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
^^^^ True to that as I was an asshole driver when I was younger in my 2000 civic si. Everyone says the kid was in 3rd gear and shifted to 2nd but I can't seem to see that typed here. Is that true? Or was he in 6th and tried to shift into 4th which makes sense in all of this and that is the gear to go to if you really want the speed at 80mphs. That could have been why he shifted into 2nd. Can you tell us what happened???
Old 04-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have experience with this issue. I was accelerating to get onto a Freeway in fast traffic and a guy changed into my lane just as I was shifting to 4th. I got 2nd and although I pushed the clutch back in as soon as I felt the engine start to wind up - I wasn't quick enough. The result was a rough idle and an engine check light.

Acura dealer service knew immediately what the problem was and asked me how I got into an "overspeed condition". The rebuild was not covered under warranty, but Acura helped. The initial estimate was "about $3800", but he cost was $2550 when I picked the car up after replacing 13 exhaust values. I think that I only paid for the internal labor and the local dealer picked up the "engine shop" costs. I then petitioned to Acura as a "long time customer" as I have two Acuras now and the TL is my fourth Acura. Acura sent me a check for $1275 or 1/2 of my cost. So my "out the door" price was $1250.

Good luck and don't be a "dick" about it. You won't fool anybody.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Busting some beats...

You know mmade, that is a good point...didnt think of that.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM
The Darker the berry....

Buddy of mine just did this "money shift" in his 05 BMW 330 ci. Cost him $5K and yes the dealer knew it was his fault - engines just don't blow and valves don't just bend. The actual cost of the repair depends on the internal damage and they won't know that until they take apart the engine - probably anywhere from $2K to $5K or more if they have to replace the engine outright.

As for the poster who are blasting the kid, chill out - everyone makes mistakes and he didn't come on here to get flamed - he was just asking a question. Everyone here would do anything they could to get Acura to fix this under warranty - no one is going to be like, "No thanx, Mr. Acura service rep, it was my fault and I insist on paying for it myself..". Oh he's doing 80 mph, he's gotta be young - gimme a break. An old man in a 70's Baracuda just tried to smoke me the other night on the highway - I let him go at 100 mph (not for fear of speed, but for fear of a ticket) - he had to be about 65 - 70 years old and you shoulda seen him damn-near drifting thru some curves on the SSP in NYC...... Got some real holier-than-thou cats on this board.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

My bad Trance, Had a few too many cocktails last night and forgot about the civility over here.

its cool bro. I refrain myself as well after a few martini's

I dont think anybody is really yelling at this kid.

My only problem with his first post was that his initial thought is will warranty cover it. He really only asked, it wasnt like he was trying to figure out a way to slip it past them.

Im anxious to see what Acura does here.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
OCD over my TL

I can say I have somewhat personal experience with the warranty issue. I bought a used 06 6MT, and when I called to have the warranty transferred to my name, they told me that everything was covered except for the transmission. After my inquiry as to why, they told me it was because there was an 'accidental downshift' by the previous owner and the engine over-revved to 8849 RPM. Needless to say, I was PISSED. I thought it was BS about what they did, but that was their decision.

Fortunately for me, the dealer I purchased it from gave me an extended warranty to cover the tranny, so I have a fully covered tranny. Also fortunate for me, the engine didn't blow out when the bastard downshifted.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by trancemission
its cool bro. I refrain myself as well after a few martini's

I dont think anybody is really yelling at this kid.

My only problem with his first post was that his initial thought is will warranty cover it. He really only asked, it wasnt like he was trying to figure out a way to slip it past them.

Im anxious to see what Acura does here.
I bet they bank 3-4k rebuilding the top of his engine. Unless his family buys lots of cars from there.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

I bet they bank 3-4k rebuilding the top of his engine. Unless his family buys lots of cars from there.

I think their labor rate is over 100/hr now too
Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
for those who asked, the kid stated that he was trying to downshift to fourth...which means he was either in 5th or 4th. its in the first post. i really think he just wanted support from his acurazine pals and we showed him the absolute opposite

Quick Reply: Blew my engine :(