Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black/Black or white/grey????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 05:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Black/Black or white/grey????

i'm having the hardest time deciding....my two previous cars have been white and i have no complaints with it, but i just wanna switch it up ya know? the only reason that's stopping me from getting black is the 'keeping it clean' issue...black is very high maintenance color but then again the TL does not offer white with ebony (black) which i think is stupid.....but the white w/grey interior is not all that bad either....sooooo black or white?
Old 11-16-2003, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

and if anyone has pics of these color mathes on their TL...please share...will be a great help...
Old 11-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

For what its worth, I just traded in my Silver 02 TL -S for a White 04 with Quartz interior, and it looks and feels perfect. The paint is so so nice....the interior is gorgeous, and they are so much less common in this color scheme. Right now, its the hardest one to get.

Black is a nigthmare for four main reasons:

1. Swirls in the paint after having it washed and dried drove me nuts, and they're practically unavoidable, unless you do want to wash it yourself and use a chamois to dry.

2. Black cars are never never never clean eough. Two hours after you wash it, it starts to show dirt.

3. The car gets sooo hot in the sun.

4. Black will not do justice for the incredible lines of this automobile's exterior.

And then there's the fact that there are so many black sedans on the road....they are sometimes indistinguishable from one another.

Black car enthusiasts, save your flames...I'm just giving my opinion.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ACURADDICT
For what its worth, I just traded in my Silver 02 TL -S for a White 04 with Quartz interior, and it looks and feels perfect. The paint is so so nice....the interior is gorgeous, and they are so much less common in this color scheme. Right now, its the hardest one to get.

Black is a nigthmare for four main reasons:

1. Swirls in the paint after having it washed and dried drove me nuts, and they're practically unavoidable, unless you do want to wash it yourself and use a chamois to dry.

2. Black cars are never never never clean eough. Two hours after you wash it, it starts to show dirt.

3. The car gets sooo hot in the sun.

4. Black will not do justice for the incredible lines of this automobile's exterior.

And then there's the fact that there are so many black sedans on the road....they are sometimes indistinguishable from one another.

Black car enthusiasts, save your flames...I'm just giving my opinion.
I just sold a black car and I agree with everything you said.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree black is hard to take care of but damn they look so nice in black. Here are some pics of my car http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=65130 I have had two black cars before this and once you know how to wash them you wont get swirl marks. If you can get some type of spot free rinse that will help stop the swirl marks. I just bought one of these www.autodry.com and it helps a lot. Most of the swirl marks come from drying the car or not washing the car right. To keep the swirl marks away just make sure you rinse the car down really well before you start with the soaping of the car. Also use a nice washing mitt and lots of soup so you get a lot of soapsuds on the car. Don’t rub to hard with the mitt and if it is real dirty go over it twice. Don’t try to rub it clean the first time. Also kind of rinse the mitt off really quickly before dipping it back in the bucket. This way you get rid of any dirt that could scratch the car that was on the mitt and that you are not putting any dirt back into the bucket. It sounds hard but once you get a pattern down it’s real easy.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Racer

And white sedans are rare?

Yes, black is a bit more work, but it you like black, I would not let that stop you from getting one.

-r
Old 11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
10th Gear

acuraddict...thanks for the great pts...and everyone else as well...it's still a tough decision...does anyone feel that black is just more aggressive (manly) looking than white?...probably not but just wanna see what you guys think....thanks.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I had a black Maxima before I bought my black '04 TL. It's tough to keep clean, but when clean, there is no color that looks as sweet especially when the windows are tinted. I've had guys at an Autozone, one at a stoplight, and one while cruising on the freeway ask me what the car was and that the color and tint made it look sweet. My former co-workers and current co-workers went ape over the car.

I think statements like the car is dirty after an hour are exaggerations. After a good storm or rain or about 2 or 3 weeks of pollen/dust, it won't look as great, but it still looks good. Silver, gray, and the desert mist type colors just don't do it for me. They don't stand out. Although I did like the Anthracite. My second and third choices were the red and the blue color, but I when I saw black/ebony after owning a black/black Maxima, I knew I had to have it again.... and luckily one accidentally made itself available so I took it.

Now if only I could get some time to Zaino the thing.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TL'04 S8 up
acuraddict...thanks for the great pts...and everyone else as well...it's still a tough decision...does anyone feel that black is just more aggressive (manly) looking than white?...probably not but just wanna see what you guys think....thanks.
No, I don't think black is more manly. The man is manly, or the man is not. In fact (if you're single), I know that many woman would consider a man who doesn't use a car as a statement more attractive and better adjusted than a man who does.

I know I'm on a tangent, but I honestly believe guys are more likely to impress other guys with their cars. I mean, do you think most women know or care what Comptech is? Or Brembo?

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Donte99TL
I have to agree black is hard to take care of but damn they look so nice in black. Here are some pics of my car http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=65130 I have had two black cars before this and once you know how to wash them you wont get swirl marks. If you can get some type of spot free rinse that will help stop the swirl marks. I just bought one of these www.autodry.com and it helps a lot. Most of the swirl marks come from drying the car or not washing the car right. To keep the swirl marks away just make sure you rinse the car down really well before you start with the soaping of the car. Also use a nice washing mitt and lots of soup so you get a lot of soapsuds on the car. Don’t rub to hard with the mitt and if it is real dirty go over it twice. Don’t try to rub it clean the first time. Also kind of rinse the mitt off really quickly before dipping it back in the bucket. This way you get rid of any dirt that could scratch the car that was on the mitt and that you are not putting any dirt back into the bucket. It sounds hard but once you get a pattern down it’s real easy.
In other words, do you really want to go to all this trouble, or would you be happier at a full service hand wash car wash, paying someone else to do this? I know I would, and am.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Racer

I think that both the white and black TL's look very good. From a practicality point of view the white is the better choice for several reasons already mentioned above. I think that black looks sportier, which is why I opted for it on my TL. (And on my last two cars as well.)

If you like both equally well I'd go with white, since it is more practical.

-r
Old 11-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by acura_driver
And white sedans are rare?

Yes, black is a bit more work, but it you like black, I would not let that stop you from getting one.

-r
White sedans are much less common than black or silver ones these days. No doubt about it. And I'm not talking about Pontiacs, Fords or Chevys. I don't even consider those when I see them on the road. You see a lot more silver and black german sedans and japanese luxury sedans on the road.

Maybe you wouldn't let the extra work and the succeptibilty of black cars stop you from getting a black car, but clearly there are many people who chose a different color for just these reasons.

I think the guy is looking for objective points of view, and reasons to consider one over the other.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Racer

No more black cars. Every 10 years I break down and get one and then rue the day. This time, nomore black cars, nothing but a pian_in_the_ass. For the one day it looks good, you'll spend dozens not. Swirls, marks, chips, dirt and the damn thing is hot.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:50 AM
Does anyone read this

In other words, do you really want to go to all this trouble, or would you be happier at a full service hand wash car wash, paying someone else to do this? I know I would, and am.
It's not really that bad. Just use more soap and wash off the mitt and you are good to go. When I went to the dealer to pick up my car they parked it right next to the white and I think the black looks so much better. So did everyone else that walked by it when I was out there. I asked like ten people who walked by which one they liked better. They all said the black looked the best. If you don’t mind the extra couple steps when washing your car then I say get the black.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:46 AM
Burning Brakes

If you get black and have the windows tinted dark get used to everyone asking you how the mafia-mobile is.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Pro

Black has its disadvantages but it looks really nice and sweet once it is washed...personally, I have an old black car and I can see a few scratches from a long distance away from the car...and that's what I really dont like...we live in a society where people usually don't give a sh*t about other people's cars so they don't care how they open their doors or how they back out of a parking spot and "accidentally" hit your rear bumper/fender...with all these problems, the black shows it the most...white, on the other hand attracts mud but it hides scratches better than the black does...white does look good too, and i think my next car is going to be white...i've had black...then desert mist (beige)...then gray...then silver...and i want the next one to be white...but if you are open to other options, and you like the DARK BLACK COLOR then think about anthracite...because at times, IT WILL LOOK BLACK...but in daytime it will look a lot different...if i had to list them out it would be:
1) White
2) Anthracite
3) Black
Old 11-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Racer

For what its worth, I just traded in my Silver 02 TL -S for a White 04 with Quartz interior, Right now, its the hardest one to get.
LOL!!!

I've been looking for an Anthacite/Quartz for several weeks now. All the salespeople I talk to say that Anthracite is the most popular color, and that Anthracite/Quartz is the hardest color combo to get.

My guess is they are trained to say "Oh, <insert customer's favorite color combo here> are the most popular and are the hardest to get, so of course we're not going to be able to be as flexible on price on those..."