Black or Anthracite?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005 | 09:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Black or Anthracite?

My mother said she might get the car in black, I am so HAPPY. My question is how do you blacken the badging to match the car(in the back)? Also, if you get the gold lettering package, what do they make golden? Also, what are some good quality black rims, that dont cost a fortune. I could probably get my parents to split it with me if its 1500 bucks or so. Can the stock rims be powder coated?
Old 06-21-2005 | 09:06 AM
All About Trance

Whatever you do, please avoid the "gold" trim. And the only things that are "gold" are the emblems and lettering.

BTW, you should get nav!
Old 06-21-2005 | 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

THats already decided. We are getting Nav. I really like white, but I like black leather more, i dont see it as a fair traid. Other thing is I think the sun off the hood could start to get annoying. So no on the gold, alright.
Old 06-21-2005 | 09:30 AM
All About Trance

Just joshing with ya on the nav since you were pretty adamant on me getting one when I was making my purchase. And yes, no on the gold.
Old 06-21-2005 | 09:36 AM
Advanced

not sure what you are talking about with blackening the badging to match the back?

You can always just "shave them off"...also dont buy any of the extras from the dealer, you can get everything you need off ebay.
Old 06-21-2005 | 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

They are still visable, but IMO it looks a lot nicer. Anyone who did it feel free to post a pic. I really want black rims(if we get the black.)
Old 06-21-2005 | 10:41 AM
Instructor

Mom's buying. What she says goes.
Old 06-21-2005 | 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Loco
Mom's buying. What she says goes.
I agree. But make sure no gold...ewww.
Old 06-21-2005 | 01:36 PM
To punish and enslave

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
I agree. But make sure no gold...ewww.
whats wrong with gold emblems? i got them, looks nice with RRP, and next year i'm getting a black with gold emblems....nothing wrong
Old 06-21-2005 | 02:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
whats wrong with gold emblems? i got them, looks nice with RRP, and next year i'm getting a black with gold emblems....nothing wrong
ewwwwwwwwwwwww, Red and Gold I bet you even got the Gold Stripe on the side

j/k whatever floats your boat but general consensus on the forum is that Gold Emblems is a NO-NO...
Old 06-21-2005 | 02:12 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by scrb09
ewwwwwwwwwwwww, Red and Gold I bet you even got the Gold Stripe on the side

j/k whatever floats your boat but general consensus on the forum is that Gold Emblems is a NO-NO...
yeah, the general consensus everywhere is that gold is out for the most part. most people prefer the silver look - cars, jewelry, watch, phone, etc.

but i guess some people can pull it off... like bronze rims and matte finished gold decals/emblems... or old people - i frown when i see gold emblems on cars until i see that they're old, then i just accept it as a normality.

black is not a good color for a non car-enthusiast. it takes a lot of work to make it look good.
Old 06-21-2005 | 03:25 PM
To punish and enslave

it doesn't look too bad

Old 06-21-2005 | 03:27 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

get a set of Falken Koblenz painted in black...those look hot
Old 06-21-2005 | 03:41 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

I bought mine in black, and although it looks really good after it's been cleaned and waxed, it looks dirty and dull within two or three days after. You can even see serious dust build up after an hour of washing/waxing. You're from Mass too, wait until the winter...total nightmare! If I had to make my choice again I'd still pick black, but the Anthracite is definitely appealing. Especially when you see it at a distance from behind.
You seem to be really involved with the decision, is the car going to be yours one day?
Old 06-21-2005 | 06:19 PM
To punish and enslave

oh yeah, didnt you say you were gonna get a integra type r and put turbo or something? your the only other 15 year that i know who likes the TL so much, just like me
Old 06-21-2005 | 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Haha. I hope so, If they like it enough im sure they will get the 4th gen and give this to me as a going to colledge gift. I also know more about cars than anyone in my fam, so they will listen to me. My uncles black CL looks nice with gold, but I guess I will be going with the chrome(and hopefully blackening them). I know black is hard to clean, it just looks so nice, but even in the spring here there is so much pollen. I love both anthracite and black, and ebony of course. I think, If I have a say, go with anthracite, it is a somewhat unique color. If I am really desperate to take it home, and they want a 4 week wait to bring in Antrhacite, AoB has 2 black AT navis on the lot(I want manual, my parents do too, but they think they are too stressed right now to deal with it). I think these 2 TLs are Black on Black, but I am not positive. We will also get mudguards, and all weather mats. We will probably get back up sensors(although i want to install a Cam). Eventually I will prolly get my mom Aspec rims(unless we have black, then I need black rims, Aspec still looks nice, but nothing compares to black on black.
Old 06-22-2005 | 08:39 AM
Drifting

Crazymjb...I know it's a personal decision on the color and black sure does look great when it's all clean and polished. BUT....I've had 2 NBP TL's before I got my Anthracite '04TL. The main reason I got rid of the NBP 2002TLS was the paint. I didn't have the car for more than a few months before I started getting swirl marks, and acid rain spots from rain droplets drying in the sun permanently damaging the paint. The spots looked like they would buff out, but they were etched into the paint and impossible to remove. Nobody but me noticed them, but you're in for a lot of work keeping the paint looking good. Since I got Anthracite, true...it doesn't look as flashy, but it never looks bad either. Even when dirty, the car looks beautifull. Also, swirl marks are sure to come. I hand washed, dried with 100% cotton towels, but still had noticable swirls after a few months. I tried to get them out with Zaino, and other products but they kept coming back. Black is awesome, but IMHO just not worth the effort to keep looking good unless you have plenty of time, don't drive the car in rain or snow, and keep it garaged. After Anthracite, I'll never get another black car again.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Well thats why I posted, for opinions. I do not want to be cleaning the car 24/7, and both black and anthracite look great. So if it is really that much work to keep black clean we will go with the anthracite. I also think the cleared headlights look better on the anthracite.
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:39 AM
Drifting

Cleaning the car is one thing, it was the acid rain spots that finally did it for me. Geeze...the car was only a few months old, and after the spots appeared, it just didn't ever seem the same again. BTW...the dealer was very helpfull. They offered to wet sand the hood and trunk, for some reason the roof wasn't affected, but since the clearcoat is so thin to begin with, I declined. They wanted to keep me happy so they gave me a Comptech Exhaust for free. The exhaust was great, especialy on the TLS, but I was bummed about the spots and I just wanted a different color car. I've seen several TL's in parking lots with the same spots...all NBP. I call it NIGHTMARE BLACK PEARL!!!
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Well the hood is generally not metal, but it is the same paint, but the process they put it on may be different, as for the trunk, im not sure. How much would it cost for a customs shop to put on a really nice clear coat?