Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG Rock dented my new 08 TL-S MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy BIG Rock dented my new 08 TL-S MT

Was driving from my little town to Olympia, WA and passed a loaded log truck (going the opposite direction) and a HUGE rock came flying out of the duels and dented and tore the paint off my hood all the way to the metal (about a 1" area), chipped my window and rippled the molding around my sunroof. I've only had this car 2 months. Will post pics as soon as I can gather myself to go look at it again. I think this should be covered under my comp insurance coverage if it's too much to just pay for.
I guess I'm just looking for some sympathy because my husband isn't feeling my pain over this disaster. Ok, "disaster" may be a bit of an exaggeration, but...
Old 10-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No No you had it right on the money... Disaster is right. WOW, you're female and your actually worried about a rock chip on "your" car and the husband doesn't care? Talk about the roles being reversed. Very nice :o ) You have my sympaty for experiencing the 2 month curse. I had my 07 two months when a piece of metal road debris took out my fog log and cracked my front bumper. would suggest calling your insurance company and just filing it as comprehensive. I have my comp deductible set at $100 just for little things like this. After you get this fix, I highly reccomend you looking into a clear bra!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Ironically enough, I was just at the body shop asking about a clear bra 3 days ago (guy at shop says I cursed my car). I have to say though, this would probably not have been prevented by a clear bra. It's high on the hood. I'm working on posting pics on photobucket right now. It doesn't look as disasterous in pictures as it does in person....
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Pictures of my "disaster"

I know it doesn't look as bad in the pictures, but there is a dent all the way around the chip on the hood and basically I'm just pissed because this messed up my new car!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...5-1511_IMG.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...5-1509_IMG.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...iptowindow.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...dingripple.jpg
Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Let's Go Pens

I know what you mean. Pictures sometimes don't do it justice. If it was on my NBP it would probably look 10x worse than it actually was. You can actually get a clear bra to cover your entire hood, but it's so damn expensive bc you have to have it hand cut and it's just too much labor. What kind of car does your husband drive, for him not to care about your disaster? It's funny, my wife is the same way when it comes to my car. She doesn't see the point in what a little scratch here or a nick there does, the car will still get from point A-B.. I'm still trying to train her to understand hehe

In all honestly, the pictures really don't look that bad. Don't worry I still feel your pain. I would run by the body shop first and they might be able to take care of that at a reasonable cost. If the window is bad, i'm not sure how your insurance works but I don't have a deductible for glass only claims.

Not saying this is the right thing to do either...But you can always get a license plate number / Company Infor off a semi or dump trunk off the highway and report them to your insurance company. Those companies have insurance to cover this kind of thing and you wouldn't have anything to worry about
Old 10-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Husband drives a Ford Ranger. Actually, it was nice before he got ahold of it. He trashes his trucks and doesn't really care. He thinks of all cars/trucks as "crummies" or hunting rigs. Never washes it or cleans it out. You can smell it with the doors open from about 20' away. It's really bad. I think he uses a paper towel to clean all the dirt/nicotine off the windows so he can see out. Let's just say, we don't have the same views on our means of transportation.

I can probably count on one hand how many times he's driven any of my cars since we've been married (12 years ago). He doesn't even like to be a rider because no smoking is allowed in my cars. Sometimes we take both cars to same place because he doesn't want to ride with me and I don't want to ride with him.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Originally Posted by Evader
Not saying this is the right thing to do either...But you can always get a license plate number / Company Infor off a semi or dump trunk off the highway and report them to your insurance company. Those companies have insurance to cover this kind of thing and you wouldn't have anything to worry about
They (trucks driving down the road) are not responsible for that kind of damage. I used to work for a timber company (Weyerhaeuser) and we had claims from drivers that were not paid all the time. Not sure how they're not responsible, but they aren't.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by Expymom
They (trucks driving down the road) are not responsible for that kind of damage. I used to work for a timber company (Weyerhaeuser) and we had claims from drivers that were not paid all the time. Not sure how they're not responsible, but they aren't.

I think this is our own personal thread haha. I'm not sure why they are not responsible, but it also could very from state to state too. You sound like me the car has to be spick and span, I baby my car... ok maybe too much at times but it's almost like my second home. I drive 130 miles a day commuting to/from work and since I spend so much time in my car I need to almost feel at home. I know people who don't really care about their car, and barely know what they drive. That's their business so no complaints there.. I too choose not to drive with some people cause I honestly would feel disgusted and would feel need to take a shower if I even sat in their cars.

Hope you get the chip fixed and let's hope this is end of your problems.

I had my car two months until they replaced the bumper and fog lamps.. Then another 2 months later this happened when someone decided not to yield......

Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 PM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
good thing you don't live in NYC, you'll have high blood pressure from all the dings & scratches you get every day.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very strange.. I believe in California there are two things that can fly or fall off a vehicle on the roadway that driver or company is not liable for - loose pieces of hay/straw, and chicken feathers. Those are the two items deemed not dangerous to other drivers and will do no damage to a vehicle.

Last Wednesday I was behind a rock truck with two trailers; they were the trailers that dump the rocks out of the bottom. Obviously something was not secured correctly because the POS was dumping rocks all over the road and now I need to have my bumper & hood painted; my windshield is not cracked but it has dings in it.

If someone tries to tell me they are not financially responsible for not properly securing cargo or the load that's complete BS. I called the trucking company and they are sending me a claim form.

I wrote down the plates on the truck and called it in because it was a hazard.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

I had my car two months until they replaced the bumper and fog lamps.. Then another 2 months later this happened when someone decided not to yield......

So now I have a little perspective on my "disaster."
Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Very strange.. I believe in California there are two things that can fly or fall off a vehicle on the roadway that driver or company is not liable for - loose pieces of hay/straw, and chicken feathers. Those are the two items deemed not dangerous to other drivers and will do no damage to a vehicle.

Last Wednesday I was behind a rock truck with two trailers; they were the trailers that dump the rocks out of the bottom. Obviously something was not secured correctly because the POS was dumping rocks all over the road and now I need to have my bumper & hood painted; my windshield is not cracked but it has dings in it.

If someone tries to tell me they are not financially responsible for not properly securing cargo or the load that's complete BS. I called the trucking company and they are sending me a claim form.

I wrote down the plates on the truck and called it in because it was a hazard.
Claim forms were sent out and then the company denied the claim. The reason I know is because a log truck broke out a window of a friend's truck when I was with her. We knew it was a Weyerhaeuser log truck but didn't know the truck #. We both worked for the company at the time. They fought and fought the claim.
Not securing a load is different than having a rock or chunk of dirt or wood fly off the truck, trailer or load after being off road. I think...
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
i'm turned on because a female is more worried about a rock chip than I would be.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

i definitely feel your pain. something about I-5 driving in Washington. little rocks fly around everywhere. whether they are picked up off of the road and flung towards your windshield (personal experience) or they fly off of larger trucks and chip paint (personal experience). it's almost inevitable.

another NW TL owner! woot, woot!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Let's Go Pens

Claim forms were sent out and then the company denied the claim. The reason I know is because a log truck broke out a window of a friend's truck when I was with her. We knew it was a Weyerhaeuser log truck but didn't know the truck #. We both worked for the company at the time. They fought and fought the claim.
Not securing a load is different than having a rock or chunk of dirt or wood fly off the truck, trailer or load after being off road. I think...

This is interesting because, lets's suppose a piece of wood fly's off and goes through someones winshield, and that person is killed? I know this has happened before, I don't have time to google it. But i'm sure in most if not all the cases, the vehicle carrying the cargo would be held liable in this situation. I guess each situation would be handled on a case by case basis and if you didn't have the trunk # etc I would probably deny the claim too just because you need more proof than it was a specific companies trunk..If was with the trunk company my case would rest simply on, if you don't have a truck number then you can't prove it was one of my trunks.. Just my
Old 10-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by lusid
i'm turned on because a female is more worried about a rock chip than I would be.

LOL! There arn't many women out there that appreciate an automobile for what it truly is. It's HER car too and not her husbands. We all know who the head of the household in that relationship is
Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

This is interesting because, lets's suppose a piece of wood fly's off and goes through someones winshield, and that person is killed? I know this has happened before, I don't have time to google it. But i'm sure in most if not all the cases, the vehicle carrying the cargo would be held liable in this situation. I guess each situation would be handled on a case by case basis and if you didn't have the trunk # etc I would probably deny the claim too just because you need more proof than it was a specific companies trunk..If was with the trunk company my case would rest simply on, if you don't have a truck number then you can't prove it was one of my trunks.. Just my

I think claims based on road debris are declined; the truck driver cannot prevent what is already on the road, but if the cargo is being dropped onto the road and causes damages or an injury then the driver/company would be liable. .. I think..
Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
4th Gear

Red face It happened to me, too

A golf ball dented my hood (2") when I parked my car close by a golf course in Seattle. I'm waiting for a CF hood to replace mine. I think it costs about $500-700.
Damn, so fancy...
I'm broke....
Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After you get this fix, I highly reccomend you looking into a clear bra![/QUOTE]

A clear bra wouldn't have done her any good. The rock hit near the sunroof !

Sorry about the rock damage. The cops really need to start making these trucks provide a cover over anything that might fall out, such as rocks. I feel your pain
Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I dont know if it's a state to state thing, but in MA there was a guy I worked with who had an unsecured winch fall off the back of a flatbed truck and smash the crap out of his car. Had he had a passenger they would have been killed by the 300lb winch coming through the windshield. The Truck driver stopped and police showed up, but when it was all said and done, this guy was told that his insurance would have to cover it because trucks are not responsible for things that fall off. My guess is that even if someone was killed, unless criminal negligance can be proved, it still wouldn't matter.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by TzarChasm
I dont know if it's a state to state thing, but in MA there was a guy I worked with who had an unsecured winch fall off the back of a flatbed truck and smash the crap out of his car. Had he had a passenger they would have been killed by the 300lb winch coming through the windshield. The Truck driver stopped and police showed up, but when it was all said and done, this guy was told that his insurance would have to cover it because trucks are not responsible for things that fall off. My guess is that even if someone was killed, unless criminal negligance can be proved, it still wouldn't matter.
that's retarded as hell; that means we can all rent trucks and throw bombs onto the freeway.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does your insurance company say? If you turn it in and they can collect from the the other party they will then return your deductible. Worth a call.

Also it's great you care about your car. So many people don't. Especially women.

If you are ever in Spokane i know a guy who does wonders on spot paint repairs.
He fixed a nasty scratch on my bumper for $200. Didn't have to repaint the whole thing.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

Body shop said that the hood dent/chip could be fixed for max. $350 (worst case scenario), probably less. I'm not even going to mess with insurance for this one. I will turn in the chipped window and use that ding repair deal they have that is basically free through the insurance company. Body shop said they could fix the rubber gasket around the sunroof too. So all-in-all not too bad of an outcome. I'm just so anal about the car that it really felt like a complete "disaster."

This was not an unsecured load that caused my damage, it was a rock that flew either off the load of logs or from between the duels on the log truck/trailer. It definitely came off that truck and was not "road debris" that was already on the road. In this case, I don't think the trucking company or driver would be liable, even if I knew who it was which I don't because they were driving in the lanes going the other direction (all loaded log trucks pretty much look the same from the back). So I'll just suck it up and get my baby fixed out of my pocket. I'm just lucky it isn't going to cost more $$$.

I'm sure I'm not the only girl on this site that loves her car as much as you guys do. I'm solely in charge of my car - maintenance, washing, etc. Husband isn't really that into cars (as you can tell from the description of his ride). I've always been into cars. My first words (taught to me by a teenage father) were charger, roadrunner and riviera. At the age of 2 (according to my dad), I could name any car on the road. Of course, this was a long time ago when the cars looked different and there weren't quite as many different brands. My mom was also pretty particular about keeping her cars clean and always had the latest cars off the showroom floor, so I guess my love for my car is genetic.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Let's Go Pens

I think you married the wrong guy... Just my
Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
The guy isn't into his cars- so what? Different strokes for different folks. The OP has been married to him for 12 years. Let's keep expymom's husband out of this conversation and stay on topic.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Racer

OUCH!! So sorry to hear that. The same thing happen to me and actually the rock that hit my hood flew onto the windshield and cracked it, luckily it was a small enough crack that the company called Glass Doctors were able to glue it (I don't know the exact process) before it spread like a spider web...... The paint chip is still there and I just put a little bit of touch up paint until I get a chance to get it fixed professionally.....
Best of luck....I feel your pain
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Expymom, I feel your pain. A few weeks ago, I had a piece of tire come flying at me on the freeway. It hit the clear bra and scuffed and scratched the hell out of it. I tried everything to clean it to no avail. I will end up having to have two sections of the bra replaced. But I'm glad it hit the bra instead of the upper section of the hood and I think the bra kept the hood from being dented.

I'd definitely look into a clear bra if I were you.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
everytime i read the word bra, and the way you depicted your tire incident made me 'lol' a little amic.

lusid
Old 10-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lusid
everytime i read the word bra, and the way you depicted your tire incident made me 'lol' a little amic.

lusid
Ha! I guess the work bra doesn't mean much to me since I wear one and have for many, many years .
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
This is true, no one is reponsible. Not even the city. I tried it on the City of Lakewood for 3+ pot hole on one intersection. 3 all in one area and a couple inches apart and about 1 - 2 ft wide pot hole. 2-4 inches deep.

Needless to day, my front passenger side wheel was nicked and my tire popped.

I filed a claim with the city. Months later, they denied my claim and repaved the entire road.
The pot hole was repaired right after I filed my claim. The entire street was repaed months later.