3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it better to buy a remaining 04 or wait for the 05's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 12:07 AM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it better to buy a remaining 04 or wait for the 05's?

check this out.

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...articleId=3245
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
That's why I got my 04TL in Oct...

Haha... interesting video. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:23 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A good video, but I hope that most folks watch it all the way through. The guy is pressing his original point as if "you'd be stupid to buy an '04 vs. an '05", while I'm sitting there thinking, "This doesn't apply to me."

He does mention late in the video that his reasons don't apply to all buyers.

In a nutshell, if you tend to lease or trade in your car every few years, buy an '05. If you tend to own a car past 80,xxx miles (no real trade-in value at this point) buy an '04. Which is just basic common sense.

BTW, where the heck does this dude get his numbers at? A $9,000 Blue Book price difference between a 2004 G35 vs. a 2005 G35? I don't think so.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This guy is full of baloney. The blue book difference between an '04 and '05 G35 if you trade it in after 2 years and 24,000 miles should be about $2,000. So, if you can get an '04 for $2,000 less than the '05 , and you trade it in after 2 years and 24,000 miles, you will be fine. If you can save more than $2,000 you should get the '04.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 AM
What's a TL?

I'm a huge fan of "new things" (hence me getting the TL the week it came out), so at this point, I would wait and get the first round of '05s (only a matter of weeks away)
Old 09-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Team Anthracite Member

We're torn.

We've talked to 3 dealers in Chicago and two in WI, Madison and Brookfield (Brookfield being our first dealer in which we test drove).

The best deal we've gotten on an Anthracite/Ebony 5AT Navigation was $32,200, and that's including dest charge. Is this a good deal for the Chicago area? That quote was from Continental Acura. Can we do better? Seeing that they gave us that quote after us simply saying "what's your best price?," then the salesman asked us what'd we'd buy the car from him for "on the last day of the month". Said invoice, and he called us back and gave us $32,200 including destination, which is $55 dollars above invoice. Pretty close.

Well, should we wait for 2005, or take this deal? 2005's will probably go for quite a bit more than invoice, and I'll be keeping this car for the long run, 8 or more years. We also told our salesman at Brookfield that we had a dealer in Chicago offering us $32,200, and they talked for awhile, finally said $33,200!!! That's a difference of $1000!!!! I'd easily go to Chicago to save a grand! We hope he comes down because he really is a great dealer and we enjoy doing business with him, as opposed to just calling up a random Chicago dealer, easily negotiating a price, and buying the car from. Brookfield actually worked for our sale, which they're not getting until they come down!!!

Any ideas on how to get Acura of Brookfield down?!!?!? As said before, we had quite a long phone conference with our dealer AND the sales manager over speakerphone!!!!

Regards,
carcar
Old 09-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carcar
We're torn.

We've talked to 3 dealers in Chicago and two in WI, Madison and Brookfield (Brookfield being our first dealer in which we test drove).

The best deal we've gotten on an Anthracite/Ebony 5AT Navigation was $32,200, and that's including dest charge. Is this a good deal for the Chicago area? That quote was from Continental Acura. Can we do better? Seeing that they gave us that quote after us simply saying "what's your best price?," then the salesman asked us what'd we'd buy the car from him for "on the last day of the month". Said invoice, and he called us back and gave us $32,200 including destination, which is $55 dollars above invoice. Pretty close.

Well, should we wait for 2005, or take this deal? 2005's will probably go for quite a bit more than invoice, and I'll be keeping this car for the long run, 8 or more years. We also told our salesman at Brookfield that we had a dealer in Chicago offering us $32,200, and they talked for awhile, finally said $33,200!!! That's a difference of $1000!!!! I'd easily go to Chicago to save a grand! We hope he comes down because he really is a great dealer and we enjoy doing business with him, as opposed to just calling up a random Chicago dealer, easily negotiating a price, and buying the car from. Brookfield actually worked for our sale, which they're not getting until they come down!!!

Any ideas on how to get Acura of Brookfield down?!!?!? As said before, we had quite a long phone conference with our dealer AND the sales manager over speakerphone!!!!

Regards,
carcar
If you are planning to keep the TL for 8 or more years (I drive em' till they die), it is no longer a difficult decision - The best thing for you to do is purchase an 04TL. You will be able to get a better deal over an 05TL, as long as your willing to get anything off the lot. This may mean that you won't get a Navi (or, you'll have to do a lot of hunting).

When purchasing a car, I highly recommend two procedures:

(1) Go to Costco or Sam's Club (join one if you don't belong already), and then you can speak directly to a fleet dealer in your area about the price of the vehicle. This will get you closer to the ballpark price of your cost much faster than coming in off the street and talking to a salesperson. I think you can connect to Costco's website to actually find the Costco Fleet dealer in your area before you join. The dealership may want to see your membership card when you get there, though.
(2) Do all your negotiating over the phone. If you live in the Chicago area, you'll have oodles of delaerships to check out within a 200 mile radius. What you should do is call a dealership that is somewhat far away (over 75 miles, preferrably). Talk with a salesperson - and if possible, get the "Internet Sales" salesperson if they have one. Start doing your price negotiatiing. If you get a decent price, it's time to talk to the Sales Manager.

You may need to be forceful here - emphasize that you aren't going to drive all that distance without talking with the Sales Manager about a totally agreed-to price before you go. Get names and times that they will be there just to play it safe. Tell the people that you talk with that if you don't talk with the Sales Manager during that phone call, then fine - They won't ever see you, and you'll be buying a car at another deaership - today. Let them know thet you are purchasing sometime within the next 24 hours. That will get their attention.

If you verbally agree to a bottom-line price with a Sales Manager before you go, you will be able to get it when you leave.
Regarding the real price you should pay in your area, this thread will be very useful (you may have to search a bit though it for your area):

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72321