3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to Protect Car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i think a neon would be a lot easier to steal than the TL. the TL and many if not most other newer model cars all have chips in the keys (without the key...the car isn't going anywhere) to prevent theft of the entire vehicle unless the thief tows it away.

your best bet since you're in a secure parking garage where you will be living...don't leave anything in your car of value, get a car alarm installed, and maybe a steering wheel lock (they still make "the club"?). i did all of this for my high risk civic HB way back when in LA and never had an issue despite my worries. other than that... and good luck in med school!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Ya they still have the "club" the school sells them for a discount. I will definitely get one. Need to get wheel locks too, but from what I've seen, they don't help too much (universal keys are easy to get).

Is there a particular Viper model that I should look into? Can I install it myself?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I would double-check on the theft coverage when you're lacking comprehensive- I think you're in error.

I believe collision covers only damage caused to the vehicle as a result of an accident or other incident that damages the vehicle. Comprehensive is for theft and vandalism- if your car gets stolen you might be SOL if you don't have comprehensive. Go with a $2000 deductible if you can't afford a $500 or $250 deductible coverage on this- some coverage is better than no coverage if your car gets stolen. I would highly recommend this coverage- especially in Detroit!
I found out what I have. This is every 6 months.

This is the short versions of how State Farm defines it.

Liability - Bodily Injury This coverage pays damages due to bodily injury to others for which you are responsible. If you are sued, it also pays your defense and court costs. Medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages are some examples of bodily injury damages.
$30,000 each person / $60,000 each accident
$64.84
Liability - Property Damage This coverage pays damages due to property damage to others for which you are responsible. If you are sued, it also pays your defense and court costs. Property damage includes damaged property and loss of its use.
$25,000 each accident
$130.79
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - Bodily Injury Uninsured Motor Vehicle Coverage provides protection if you, your spouse or a resident relative is injured by a negligent driver who does not have any bodily injury liability insurance coverage. This coverage can be purchased as either stacking or non-stacking. Stacking: Two or more policies issued to you, your spouse or a resident relative can be added together when damages exceed the limits on one policy. If you have only one car in your household or if your car is insured in the name of a corporation or business, the additional benefits provided by the stacking option may be very limited.
Non-Stacking: If an injury occurs in a vehicle owned by you, your spouse or resident relative, only the coverage on that vehicle would apply. If you have only one car in your household or if your car is insured in the name of a corporation or business, the additional benefits provided by the stacking option may be very limited.
No Coverage
$0.00
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - Property Damage This coverage pays for property damage to your car if it is damaged in a car accident caused by an uninsured driver. If you have Collision Coverage, this coverage pays damages up to the amount of your Collision Coverage deductible. If you do not have Collision Coverage, this coverage pays damages up to $3,500.No Coverage
$0.00
Other Than Collision Deductible Other than Collision Coverage pays for a covered car that is stolen or damaged by causes other than collision or upset. For example, damage caused by the following is covered:
  • Fire
  • Wind
  • Hail
  • Flood
  • Earthquake
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Hitting a bird or animal
Other than Collision Coverage will also pay substitute transportation expenses of up to $20 a day ($600 maximum) if your car is stolen. Payments will be made starting 48 hours after the theft. A deductible isn't required.

Please also note that if you lease or have a lien on your covered vehicle, your lessor or lienholder may require you to purchase this coverage.

$1,000
$56.19

Collision Deductible This coverage pays for a covered car that is damaged by collision with another object or by upset of the car. A deductible is required. If you would like Collision Coverage included in this quote, please select the deductible amount desired. If you do not want Collision Coverage, please select No Coverage.
Please note that if you lease your covered auto or have a lienholder on your covered auto, you may be required by such lessor or lienholder to purchase this coverage.
No Coverage
$0.00

Towing and Labor Costs Towing and Labor CostsThis coverage pays the reasonable expense for the following emergency services for your car:
  • Mechanical labor up to one hour at the place of its breakdown.
  • Towing to the nearest place where repairs can be made during regular business hours.
  • Towing the car if it is stuck on or next to a public highway.
  • Delivery of gas, oil, loaned battery, or change of tire, but not the cost of such items.
  • Locksmith labor for up to one hour if you lose your key or lock it in your car.
No Coverage
$0.00

Rental Reimbursement This coverage pays up to the limits you select in car rental fees for substitute transportation while the insured vehicle is being repaired. The vehicle must be out of use for more than 24 hours and the loss to the vehicle must be covered under Comprehensive Coverage. Rental Reimbursement Coverage also supplements the Transportation Expenses Coverage found in the Coverage For Damage To Your Auto section by increasing the total amount payable to equal the limit selected.No Coverage
$0.00
Total Premium
(total premium includes your discounts)
$251.82

Last edited by Chad05TL; 07-15-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to D-town, I am there for work several times a week my office was just 2 miles to the east of Wayne State. It is a pretty rough area but if your apt is gated you should be ok. I still worry about parking my car in different areas in the city also. For instance, the other day I had a meeting and the man I was meeting noticed that I checked my locks twice he said, "oh don't worry the gangs already saw you were with me, it will be ok." Not very comforting but he was right. Like everybody said be as smart as you can leave nothing in it because if they see it they will get it no matter if you have bars on the windows. Insurance does suck but not as bad as the roads. It is a place where you will be able to get plenty of experience in your field as the hospitals are always busy, but there are a lot of great people as well. I will keep my eyes open for you as I drive by WSU.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Welp. I'm in Detroit. Good news. My lot has a ton of nice cars. Think A8L, Bentley GT, etc. One of my roommate's friend has a BMW and has had no problems. He just said keep the car clean inside and no one will break in. Cant hot wire these cars, most thieves will go for cheap domestic cars that don't disable the ignition. So car will be ok.

Bad news. Parents didn't want to pay the insurance so I'm in Detroit with no car.. I was talking with above BMW owner and he said to just keep the insurance under the current policy registered in IL.. Other option is to get Progressive as the rates are about half that of Allstate.. We'll see.