3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best source for Brembo front rotors for 07 TL Type S???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 01:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best source for Brembo front rotors for 07 TL Type S???

Need to buy some front rotors for my 07 TL Type S. Bought a Brembo kit advertised as being for my car, and of course they gave me front rotors for a regular TL. Whats the best source online for Brembo front rotors for the Type S models? According to the Acura dealership, OEM part # is 45251 SEP A51. Anyone know what the Brembo part # is? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
They might not make them for the front anymore. I got Brembo rotors for my 2006 6MT on Tirerack, but they don't have any listed for the 2007 Type-S. Even on the Brembo website, they only offer rear rotors.

https://www.brembostoreusa.com/produ...47&clev=0&hs=1
Old 07-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,027 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by twinturbotim
Need to buy some front rotors for my 07 TL Type S. Bought a Brembo kit advertised as being for my car, and of course they gave me front rotors for a regular TL. Whats the best source online for Brembo front rotors for the Type S models? According to the Acura dealership, OEM part # is 45251 SEP A51. Anyone know what the Brembo part # is? Thanks in advance.
Are you absolutely sure you want/need Brembo rotors? I ask because A) I do not believe Brembo makes front rotors for our cars with the Brembo calipers, and B) Centric does make them.

Personally, I'd opt for Centric rotors over Brembos, but then, that's me.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Are you absolutely sure you want/need Brembo rotors? I ask because A) I do not believe Brembo makes front rotors for our cars with the Brembo calipers, and B) Centric does make them.

Personally, I'd opt for Centric rotors over Brembos, but then, that's me.
The Brembo's I got for my 2006 were great. Paired them with Akebono pads. I can vouch for Centric as well though. I have some on my 4G and they're working just fine.

I initially thought they had warped after starting to pulse after about 5K miles, but later found that it was due to uneven pad material deposits of the ceramic pads on the rotors. Threw some semi-metallic on there and the pulsing went away after about 50 miles (once the old ceramic pad material was scoured off the rotors). So apparently it was never really the rotors fault.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Rather than go with OEM, upgrade to something nicer like EBC or Racing Brake. Any high carbon content rotor will last longer than standard disks.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
The Brembo's I got for my 2006 were great. Paired them with Akebono pads. I can vouch for Centric as well though. I have some on my 4G and they're working just fine.

I initially thought they had warped after starting to pulse after about 5K miles, but later found that it was due to uneven pad material deposits of the ceramic pads on the rotors. Threw some semi-metallic on there and the pulsing went away after about 50 miles (once the old ceramic pad material was scoured off the rotors). So apparently it was never really the rotors fault.
I've switched over to semi metallics and will never look back.

Centric rotors have been my favorite. The black coating is holding up well.
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (07-29-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Not really pushing these, but RockAuto has a sale on certain PowerStop products:
CRK2718 Front & Rear Rotor, Pads, Hardware kit $165.41
Not certain the additional 5% discount can also be used, but here's the code good until 9/22

I just installed PowerStop pads on our '11 Optima Turbo, great so far.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 AM
10th Gear

Man, thats a shame. Although not really surprising Brembo doesnt make them anymore since Acura didnt sell a lot of TL type S models. I definitely dont need anything for track use so racing rotors are off the table. Looks like Ill give the centric rotors a try. Can you guys recommend the cheapest place to get them online? I already have Brembo front pads, so just need the rotors.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:05 AM
10th Gear

Should also note I am open to suggestions for other good front brake rotors as long as they are around or under $200 for a front set. Dont want to spend too much more then that. Biggest thing Im worried about is if they will warp under occasional hard braking on the street. Thats why I like hearing feedback on personal experience. With all the chinese made junk out there nowadays with even a lot of the OEM stuff being made in China now, its basically a crap shoot as to what will hold up long term. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Should also note I am open to suggestions for other good front brake rotors as long as they are around or under $200 for a front set. Dont want to spend too much more then that. Biggest thing Im worried about is if they will warp under occasional hard braking on the street. Thats why I like hearing feedback on personal experience. With all the chinese made junk out there nowadays with even a lot of the OEM stuff being made in China now, its basically a crap shoot as to what will hold up long term. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Did you read??????????????
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Not really pushing these, but RockAuto has a sale on certain PowerStop products:
CRK2718 Front & Rear Rotor, Pads, Hardware kit $165.41
Not certain the additional 5% discount can also be used, but here's the code good until 9/22
FYI-Brake rotors don't warp.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:40 AM
Latent car nut

Man, thats a shame. Although not really surprising Brembo doesnt make them anymore since Acura didnt sell a lot of TL type S models. I definitely dont need anything for track use so racing rotors are off the table. Looks like Ill give the centric rotors a try. Can you guys recommend the cheapest place to get them online? I already have Brembo front pads, so just need the rotors.
Keep in mind, not only the Type-S models, but those of us with 2004-2006 TLs with manual transmissions also have the same brakes, so there are more out there than you might imagine.

FWIW #1, unless you bought your Brembo pads from an Acura dealer, then you have the cheap knock-off Chinese made Brembo pads.
FWIW #2, the OEM Brembo pads are made by a company in Italy.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts

I think your misconception is that rotors warp.
That misconception has been around for a while, so I don't blame you.

Read some of the posts above.
Rotor pulsation comes from uneven pad deposits in a vast number of cases.

In RARE cases, a rotor may be incorrectly machined, or may have rust pitting below the surface.

Or mechanical warping may have occured as a result of incorrect torque or a bent/uneven hub.

PADS, my friend, is what you should scrutinize.

A rotor is just a peice of iron. Iron doesn't soften enough to warp until you heat it to like 2500+F. Not just the surface...but deep enough to actually warp the plane.

Think about that.

You're not doing that with your agressive street driving.

Centric rotors work fine.
So do ones branded by Brembo.
Or Raybestos.
Or (name them).

You're asking the wrong questions.

"What PAD should I buy so I don't get brake pulsation"? is a better one.

Buy better pads. Stay away from ceramics.

Last edited by BROlando; 07-31-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 PM
10th Gear

Did you read??????????????

FYI-Brake rotors don't warp.
I did read, not really interested in powerstop products, but thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BROlando
I think your misconception is that rotors warp.
That misconception has been around for a while, so I don't blame you.

Read some of the posts above.
Rotor pulsation comes from uneven pad deposits in a vast number of cases.

In RARE cases, a rotor may be incorrectly machined, or may have rust pitting below the surface.

Or mechanical warping may have occured as a result of incorrect torque or a bent/uneven hub.

PADS, my friend, is what you should scrutinize.

A rotor is just a peice of iron. Iron doesn't soften enough to warp until you heat it to like 2500+F. Not just the surface...but deep enough to actually warp the plane.

Think about that.

You're not doing that with your agressive street driving.

Centric rotors work fine.
So do ones branded by Brembo.
Or Raybestos.
Or (name them).

You're asking the wrong questions.

"What PAD should I buy so I don't get brake pulsation"? is a better one.

Very true. I dont know why I thought rotors warped. Lol. And I know that because everytime I come to a hard stop in my car I always make sure not to just sit on the brake pedal since it will leave material on the rotors. Was late when I posted, must have forgot. Lol.

Anyways, so I have Brembo pads I will be using. Still need new rotors because mine are totally screwed on the back side. Can you guys recommend the best place to buy centrics online? TIA.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I had a really hard time finding any place that maintained a stock of centric pads. I made the switch to the two piece racing brake rotors about 10 years ago and have been very happy with them. I had a bad spell of trying some garbage after market pads before just paying OEM prices for the true brembo pads and not the knock off ones. However, I recently put on pads that...well I can't remember who made them as I've misplaced the invoice.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:09 PM
CAD Guy

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
+1 for centric rotors from me, been using them for years on several vehicles with no issues. I found that Rockauto is a good place to pick them up for decent prices and shipping speeds. Also try to at least get the e-coated ones, they tend to not rust very easily.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:12 PM
Latent car nut

Anyways, so I have Brembo pads I will be using.
The question remains, do you have the garbage Chinese made Brembo pads, or the far superior Italian made OEM Brembo pads?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I did read, not really interested in powerstop products, but thanks for sharing.
Think hard about Centric as rotors for the cars with Brembo caliper, fronts can be had for $23 bucks each........Quality?????
Old 07-31-2019, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Rockauto sells centric.

Lately, I've been buying the Raybestos coated rotors. They're cheap...and they're coated. Also on rockauto.

I wouldn't use those brembo pads if they're ceramic.

The closest pad to the factory set is probably EBC EBC greenstuff.

Stoptech SPORT or STREET are also both viable alternatives.

So...
  1. Check if your pads are ceramic.
  2. If they are, place them in the trash.
  3. Buy something better.

If you cannot accept some level of brake dust:
  1. use ceramics
  2. accept your rotor pulsations
  3. keep your shame deep inside.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:13 PM
Latent car nut

Think hard about Centric as rotors for the cars with Brembo caliper, fronts can be had for $23 bucks each........Quality?????
Good point, not all Centric rotors are created equal; apparently the C-Tek line are their bargain basement products. When the time comes for my car, these are the Centric rotors I'll most likely use (they are $46.99 per side):
Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I am using Centric Ctek on all cars and never had any problem with it. Pads is your personal choice weather you can deal with the dust and get good bite (OEM) or other high end ceramic pads (Akebono etc....). As far Pad goes please stay away from the Brembo Red pads its suck!!!
Old 08-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
  1. Check if your pads are ceramic.
  2. If they are, place them in the trash.
  3. Buy something better.

If you cannot accept some level of brake dust:
  1. use ceramics
  2. accept your rotor pulsations
  3. keep your shame deep inside.
I hate brake dust. I hate pulsing brakes. I have ceramics pads. I have no pulsing. Not sure what the issue here is.

A rotor is just a peice of iron. Iron doesn't soften enough to warp until you heat it to like 2500+F.
Just a piece of iron...well...kind of. The quality of the iron or the content of other metals may very between brands, products, and price points. I do "mostly" agree they should not really warp...it usually is more about uneven pad deposits. The price point differences will more than likely be more about visual appeal and how long they last. And see my previous note about what is wrong with ceramic pads?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackass
I hate brake dust. I hate pulsing brakes. I have ceramics pads. I have no pulsing. Not sure what the issue here is.

Just a piece of iron...well...kind of. The quality of the iron or the content of other metals may very between brands, products, and price points. I do "mostly" agree they should not really warp...it usually is more about uneven pad deposits. The price point differences will more than likely be more about visual appeal and how long they last. And see my previous note about what is wrong with ceramic pads?

I swap rotors every time I swap pads.

So as long as the rotors are cast properly and aren't pitted and they're properly machined - I'm good!

I guess if you plan to buy $200 rotors and then buy rotor-friendly pads and then re-use the rotor for 5 or 6 pad swaps....then expensive rotors make sense?

I live in the midwest, bruv.
The cars I don't daily drive are used on the track. So...either my rotors crack from track use...or they rust to death from winter use. Either way, they're 1 time use items.

If you have NOT gotten rotor pulsations with ceramics, you lucked out or you're using a fairly well made set of pads.

People have different priorities. I like my car to stop well. I like feedback from the pedal. And I like that deep deep torque feeling.

I avoid brake dust by simply not looking at my wheels.

It also rains here 9 days out of the week. The car gets dirty at the same rate at the wheels and I wash all of it when I wash it.

Even if it didn't rain...I prefer dirty wheels to a car that doesn't stop excessively well.

Some people prioritize clean wheels and long pad life over having a pad that stops well.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't be *surprised* if you get pulsing brakes as a result of your priority on clean wheels.

Just like I'm not surprised that my wheels are dirty because my car stops well.

Dirty pads stop better than clean ones in the same category, bruv. And they are less prone to rotor pulsations. In every single case.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-01-2019 at 03:37 PM.
SickSpeedTypeS (03-10-2024)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass

I've had pulsation with just about every premium ceramic pads I've bought after about 1-2 years. Ceramic pads do not absorb heat like metallics do so after aggressive driving, which I do alot, they can get hot and warp the pad material onto the rotor.
I've had pads like Akebono Street Performance, ACT, AXXIS, BOSCH, Wagner, AC DELCO, Raybestos, Centric, etc. All end up with the rotor getting warped fast from agressive driving or too quick before you can catch a bad caliper.
The initial bite is something all brakes should do well and that means dust too. I am more worried about stopping than looking OCD. Metals also squeal a bit on cold application, but not an annoying squeal.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:57 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Stay away from those Brembo pads. They're clearly not anywhere near as good as the OEM pads just because they say Brembo on them. My main man & best friend from high school who ran an auto parts store for 25 years says the best pads for Hondas and Acuras are Akebono. I had them installed my last brake job and all I can say is WOW! Phenomenal stopping power and no dust.

2004 - 2006 6MT and all 2007-2008 Type-S have the same Brembo front brake parts.
SickSpeedTypeS (03-10-2024)