Sponsored by:

best price strategies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best price strategies?

Hi,

I live in Atlanta, GA and I was wondering the best way to get a low price on the TL. I have been quoted at $34k as the drive out price on an automatic with no navigation. Also, what are your thoughts on the Navigation System? Is it worth it to spend an extra 2K for this feature? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Racer

For a non-nav, you should be able to do *much* better than that.

As for the NAV, it all depends...the thing that swayed me the most was that I couldn't stand the look of the dashboard without the NAV. To me, the non-NAV dash design was an afterthought. But this is highly subjective of course, others will have different opinions. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this group.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Some car buying tips at Edmunds.com.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
6th Gear

carbuyingtips.com

Very good advice on this site
Old 02-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro

Re: best price strategies?

Originally posted by zalik22
Hi,

I live in Atlanta, GA and I was wondering the best way to get a low price on the TL. I have been quoted at $34k as the drive out price on an automatic with no navigation. Also, what are your thoughts on the Navigation System? Is it worth it to spend an extra 2K for this feature? Thanks in advance!
What do you define as "drive out" price? It can't be $34K, if it doesn't include taxes title and registration fees because the car's MSRP is $33,195.

Typical price for non-NAVI these days is about $30,500-$31,200.

As far as Navigation system. The real price difference is about $3,000 because there are much smaller discounts on NAVI. There are too many discussions on this forum about NAVI, just do a search.

I did a poll on this board, and about 80% of people in this forum opted to buy NAVI, including me.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SHOP AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been looking for a auto/navi and so far going from dealer to dealer I have been quoted $32,700 in NJ......doesn't seem like I will be able to find any1 to beat that.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Instructor

By drive out price, I meant all the taxes including registration. It includes sales tax and I think the dealer has an inventory charge. So, the price I am quoted includes all applicable taxes and fees. I was wondering if $34,000 including all the charges for a TL with no navigation system was too steep or just about right. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: best price strategies?

Understanding what you need.

Be ready with your payment/method.

Go dealers in the end of month.

Survey their lots and check all the possiblities/Talk to salesman with what they can offer.

Drive away the best they can offer and the great you can accept.

My 2 cents.

Old 02-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro

By drive out price, I meant all the taxes including registration. It includes sales tax and I think the dealer has an inventory charge. So, the price I am quoted includes all applicable taxes and fees. I was wondering if $34,000 including all the charges for a TL with no navigation system was too steep or just about right. Thanks.
No-one compares full prices because taxes and TTL fees vary from place to place. What is the price for the CAR? Is this the first car you're buying?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by dulnev
No-one compares full prices because taxes and TTL fees vary from place to place. What is the price for the CAR? Is this the first car you're buying?

Right, especially some states don't need Tax for buying car, we'll never able to beat them in TOTAL price.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Yeah, this is my first car I am buying. The county I live in charges 6% tax and most dealers charge about $400 for title, registration, and other miscellaneous fees. My goal is to get a Automatic with Nav for $33,000 including taxes. Am I searching for something that is unattainable? The base price which I am being quoted is roughly $31,700 without navigation. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Pro

Yeah, this is my first car I am buying. The county I live in charges 6% tax and most dealers charge about $400 for title, registration, and other miscellaneous fees. My goal is to get a Automatic with Nav for $33,000 including taxes. Am I searching for something that is unattainable? The base price which I am being quoted is roughly $31,700 without navigation. Thanks for your help.
Now we're talking!

The price you're being quoted is WAY too high for the non-NAVI TL. You should not pay any more than $31,000 for the car INCLUDING any junk fees (such as documentation fee). Given that you're in Atlanta, you should get quotes from out-of-state dealerships, including those in Florida, and use them to get a lower price at local dealerships. Use www.acura.com to find dealerships and names of Internet sales people at each dealership.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Dulnev,

Thanks for your quick reply. Just wondering, is VA a good place to go to get the TL? I have an uncle in Richmond and he should be able to help me a little bit. It might be worth it to fly up there and drive the car back. I called a few dealers in Atlanta and they practically laughed when I asked for the TL with navigation at a price close to invoice. They claim they have no problems selling the cars at MSRP and now they are saying the NAV's are in high demand and there are too few of them. Any more help would be appreciated. After reading many posts and my lack of sense of direction, I think the NAV system is the way to go. One more quick question..I know the dealers get 3% of MSRP, but anybody know if there are any rebates offered to the dealers? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Pro

Dulnev,

Thanks for your quick reply. Just wondering, is VA a good place to go to get the TL? I have an uncle in Richmond and he should be able to help me a little bit. It might be worth it to fly up there and drive the car back. I called a few dealers in Atlanta and they practically laughed when I asked for the TL with navigation at a price close to invoice. They claim they have no problems selling the cars at MSRP and now they are saying the NAV's are in high demand and there are too few of them. Any more help would be appreciated. After reading many posts and my lack of sense of direction, I think the NAV system is the way to go. One more quick question..I know the dealers get 3% of MSRP, but anybody know if there are any rebates offered to the dealers? Thanks.
I'm sorry, you got me confused a bit when you mentioned that you're getting quotes for cars WITHOUT Navi. But it appears that you want one with it.

The NAVI cars are a whole different ball-game and discounts are much smaller on them. VA is a terrible place to buy ones with NAVI, as you can't get more than $500 off. The place to buy is New Jersey (that's where I bought) at $1,500 to $2,000 off MSRP.

Given that you're in Atlanta, I'd get quotes from NJ dealers and use them to lower the price locally. Hopefully you can use those quotes as leverage to get the price down to $1,000 off MSRP. I doubt you can do better in GA or anywhere nearby.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Instructor

I haven't bought a new car in 7 years so my bargaining skills are in the basement. I really like this car, reminds me of my '90 SHO in the performance sedan type car but much better in every way.

I live in the Detroit area and priced a new TL, NAVI, 5AT with the following options:
Lip spoiler
2 back up sensors ( non Acura )
Body side moldings
Wood shift knob
All season mats
Trunk tray
5 year paint protection treatment

After several times to the dealer got a price of $35,187 plus tax
(6%), and license.

Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks folks for any opinions you may have to offer.
Craig
Old 02-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro

Originally posted by synoil
I live in the Detroit area and priced a new TL, NAVI, 5AT with the following options:
Lip spoiler
2 back up sensors ( non Acura )
Body side moldings
Wood shift knob
All season mats
Trunk tray
5 year paint protection treatment

After several times to the dealer got a price of $35,187 plus tax
(6%), and license.

Is this a reasonable price?
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to price hot-selling cars with accessories. This significantly complicates the price comparison process. You can usually do better by separating the car buying from accessory buying (do it later). I'm talking about the major items on your list: the spoiler and backup sensors.

By the way, was the last item on your list suggested by the dealer or requested by you? I don't know what exactly it would cover, but it sure sounds like those rip-off "corrosion protection" and "underbody treatment" plans.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Hi,

I just got off the phone with a dealer and he quoted me $35,882 with the trunk tray and wheel locks. Do the wheel locks and trunk tray come with normal purchases? I got the impression he was trying to increase his profit. Also, they included $399 for a documentation fee and $21 for a title and warranty protection. Plus 6% tax, it came out to $37,550 which seems very steep. Any further tips, like I heard that trying to close a deal at the end of the month increases negotiation power. To be honest, my current car is working fine, but the Acura is more comfortable and fun to drive. Do you suggest I wait until the price drops somewhat? All these positive reviews aren't helping the cause. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Instructor

I just got off the phone with a dealer and he quoted me $35,882 with the trunk tray and wheel locks.
You need to make an offer and be willing to walk away. While getting my '99 TLP worked on, I drove both a 6-speed TL and a 6-speed TSX. I offered them $1000 off list for a 6 speed with Navi, wheel locks, trunk tray, and door guards. BTW, those were options that I chose to put on the car. First they balked, then gave in. Bottom line with GA taxes (I live in Lilburn) and all the other stuff was was $37001.

rw
Old 02-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro

Hi,

I just got off the phone with a dealer and he quoted me $35,882 with the trunk tray and wheel locks. Do the wheel locks and trunk tray come with normal purchases? I got the impression he was trying to increase his profit. Also, they included $399 for a documentation fee and $21 for a title and warranty protection. Plus 6% tax, it came out to $37,550 which seems very steep.
1. MSRP of the car is $35,195

2. As far as I know, ALL the people who bought a TL had their dealer "throw in" the trunk tray, wheel locks and mud-guards (these three make up the Protection Package) for no additional charge.

3. $399 is just an addition to price and is beyond outrageous!

RUN, DO NOT WALK away from these con artists! They actually want to charge you $600 ABOVE MSRP, whereas the absolutely worst deal that you should consider accepting locally is $500 below MSRP (taking the doc fee into account as part of the price).
Old 02-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Instructor

33,800 6MT/Navi including Protection package and DCH (company) 3 year free oil change. That is good deal.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:09 PM
6th Gear

Originally posted by sparky57
You need to make an offer and be willing to walk away. While getting my '99 TLP worked on, I drove both a 6-speed TL and a 6-speed TSX. I offered them $1000 off list for a 6 speed with Navi, wheel locks, trunk tray, and door guards. BTW, those were options that I chose to put on the car. First they balked, then gave in. Bottom line with GA taxes (I live in Lilburn) and all the other stuff was was $37001.

rw
Sparky,

Where did you get your TL from? Happy with them?

Thx
Old 02-18-2004, 09:28 PM
10th Gear

Java

I bought a 5T Anthracite/Ebony from Southern Motors Acura in Savannah with the Protection Package and All-season floor mats for 36450 out the door. I hope this helps you out in anyway. I will pick it up this Saturday. So far I am very happy with them.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by dips009
SHOP AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been looking for a auto/navi and so far going from dealer to dealer I have been quoted $32,700 in NJ......doesn't seem like I will be able to find any1 to beat that.
dips009,

Could you tell me which NJ dealer you got this quote from.
Up here in Massachusetts no one wants to go less than MSRP
for a 6MT/NAVI/HPT, so I'd be willing to willing to travel a couple of hours to save $2K.

TL-Rocket