3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Gas Station Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
all my premium fuel vehicles i have owned ran primarily on shell and sunoco.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
As others have already stated, for the most part gas is gas. The same truck the delivers gas to the Shell station also delivers to the QT or other no-name down the road. The difference is what did the station pay, what additives package was added in, and how well does the station maintain their equipment. My parents have owned a couple of gas stations in the past few years. The same "Conoco" truck that delivers to their station is the same one that delivers to the Phillips66 and the Bullseye station down the road. The difference is the additive mix that they put into the tanks as well as they choose to buy the 93 octane instead of 91.

The biggest difference as far as the TL goes will be the octane rating. If you can find 93 or higher, you will probably see some benefit in mileage.

As far as avoiding Ethanol? That can be difficult in some states due to various state laws. In MO, E10 does not have to be labeled as such and all fuel sold that is under 91 octane must be E10+. 91+ octane fuel does NOT have to contain Ethanol, but no everywhere states if they blend or not.

So where do I buy my fuel? Normally from QT because I enjoy running inside for a snack and soda each time as well as I pass three of them on the drive to work. But if we happen to be at Costco and I need gas, I fill up there or what ever other major brand gas station I happen to be nearby. My parent's current station sells 93 octane from Conoco so my car gets quite a bit of that when I go visit.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
Gas is gas as far as what you're putting in. Adding the additives, ethanol, different octanes, etc is what's different.

...but what do I know....I'm just one of the guys finding it thousands of feet below you
Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
shell shell shell go go go
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Up here in Canada I use Shell V-Power 91. When I cross the border to Washington State I use Shell V-Power 92. I haven't used Chevron yet on my 08 TL. Just bought this gem from my brother in Seattle. Should I try Chevron 94 or stick with the Shell?

Thanks
My first post in Acurazine.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 AM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
As long as you don't get Arco, you'll be fine.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 for "top tier" stations...I ALWAYS run shell, thankfully we still get the 93 octane around here.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 AM
2007 Acura TL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a list of top tier gasoline retailers in the USA and Canada.

In alphabetical order...

USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Canada
Chevron Canada
Esso
PetroCanada
Shell Canada
Sunoco Canada

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
i used to get arco cause it was cheap but Chase is running a 5% cashback on their credit card for gas stations so it more or less negates the savings. Been going to chevron ever since. I also dont have to worry about making sure i have cash.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
I use Costco fuel and Shell, I get way more miles to the tank compared to chevron or 76 or other no named stations. I have not suffered a performance issue with using Costco fuel. My car works fine and runs great.
I understand the additives will determine performance and fuel efficiency for our cars, but Costco is cheaper but equally works fine like Shell fuel.
Google and most research will disagree with you but hey as long as it works for you and your happy

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 01-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Google and most research will disagree with you but hey as long as it works for you and your happy
I've read many threads, but to each their own. I know that Shell and Costco are the only places I go since they are really close by my home. Also running good motor oil, Mobil 1 EP 5w-20, which should help with preventing carbon build up from the general public's eye of Costco's lower fuel quality.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
As someone else mentioned, Shell has a grocery-store points deal with one of the local grocery chains here in the DC area (Giant), so I tend to shop at Giant and buy gas at Shell. You get 10¢ off per gallon for every 100 gas points, and you get 1 gas point per dollar at Giant except for beer and wine purchases (sometimes they have bonus-point deals too), so the points add up fairly quickly and I try to time the cars' fillups so there's always some discount. If I don't have enough gas points, I usually go to the Sunoco near our house since it's usually about a nickel a gallon cheaper than the Shell prior to applying any points discounts and all the other nearby stations are more expensive. At the Sunoco I get the 91 octane to save 2¢ a gallon because the car seems to run equally well on both 91 and 93. At the Shell I get 93 because Sunoco are the only stations around here to sell 91.

The only "off-brands" I've used regularly are Liberty and Wawa and I've never had any problem with either of them. Liberty is no longer any cheaper than the Shell and Sunoco I mentioned, though, and the nearest Wawa is in the next county over so I only stop there if I go to Wegmans. At the Wawa the highest octane is 92, which used to be the standard around here until the early 1990s.

The big thing to me is price and whether the station is a reliable one. There's a no-name station about a mile and a half from home that never seems to have much business, so I don't go there. I figure lack of business is a bad sign.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My personal experience is that gas is gas. Just buy from a major brand name and you will be fine. Also, buy from a clean, well maintained station...if they do not maintain the exterior of the station, the chances of them maintaining the underground tanks are probably not good.

Just because Arco is not a part of Top Tier, does not mean it is bad gas. All of those internet stories that you hear about buying bad gas, and having the CEL come on, are most likely due to the individual gas station's poor maintenance. All of the base fuel is shared between oil companies anyways...that's why they say gas is gas! Only difference is the additives added after the fact.

Check out this link:
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...is-in-there%3F

BP (parent company of ARCO) had approximately the same detergent level as other stations that are supposedly Top Tier. Remember, you have to pay to be listed as a Top Tier member, so if you choose not to pay, does that mean your gas is not as good?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_2004
My personal experience is that gas is gas. Just buy from a major brand name and you will be fine. Also, buy from a clean, well maintained station...if they do not maintain the exterior of the station, the chances of them maintaining the underground tanks are probably not good.

Just because Arco is not a part of Top Tier, does not mean it is bad gas. All of those internet stories that you hear about buying bad gas, and having the CEL come on, are most likely due to the individual gas station's poor maintenance. All of the base fuel is shared between oil companies anyways...that's why they say gas is gas! Only difference is the additives added after the fact.

Check out this link:
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...is-in-there%3F

BP (parent company of ARCO) had approximately the same detergent level as other stations that are supposedly Top Tier. Remember, you have to pay to be listed as a Top Tier member, so if you choose not to pay, does that mean your gas is not as good?
We don't even care about the "Top Tier" websites, this is basically on facts and experience.

Gas is gas. It is what is added.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Gas is gas. I've already heard all that hoopla about this station adding this additive to make their gas better and that station adding their special additive to make their's better. It gets your car from point A to B and that is most important.

That being said, I'll go anywhere to fill up but I mostly go to the 2 stations that are closest to my house which are Quik Trip and the Kroger grocery store that has an attached gas station.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by PHX623
i also heard it is bad to put different (companies) gas in your car it is better to just put the same type (company)
No,
There are small differences in the detergents and its better to mix but ...
the bigger delta is in how clean / tight the stations pumps tanks are.
Any station can have tank problems and the ethanol can attract H2O which is essentially water in your tank.
So its often better to mix good gas to avoid stations problems.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
The only difference is in the additives they use.
This is the most important part... A while back, I tore down the engine in my other car, and my dad's car, to replace some gaskets. My car and my dad's car have the exact same engine. (Thank you GM platform sharing)...

Anyways, my car had 150,000 miles, and my dad's car had around 110,000 miles or thereabouts... Our cars are also the same model year, and we live 15 minutes apart, and our commutes are mostly similar.

My car only ever drank Chevron or Shell... My dad's car mostly drank Costco gas.

When I took the engine apart, there was a world of difference. Even tho my engine had more miles, I had zero varnish or sludge on valves, and my lifter valley and rods were squeeky clean.

My dad's car had lots of deposits and varnish on the valves, and the lifter valley and rods were very grimy...

The valves I attribute to gas, since the fuel injectors spray the back of the valves. My valves were clean. My dad's was not. The lifter valley, rockers, and rods, I attribute to the oil and filters. I only ever used Mobil-1 oil and filters. My dad used Pennsoil and Havoline dino oil, whatever was on sale... And fram oil filters. Both of us are religeous with oil changes and such, my dad even moreso... He likes to change oil ever 3 months/3,000 miles regardless. I go by the MID, and change when it gets below 30%.

Other than these, our cars are nearly identicle, including the engine/transmission. So brand of Gas/OIL does make a difference.... Heck, even when I had the timing belt and a few other things services on our TL at 100,000 miles, the mechanic said the engine in our TL was one of the cleanest engines he's ever seen. I was telling him about how our TL (also) only ever drinks Chevron/Shell, and only ever used Mobil-1 Oil and Filters. The mechanic was sharing similar stories as my experience with my dad.

Last edited by avs007; 01-31-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by beyond 1000
Up here in Canada I use Shell V-Power 91. When I cross the border to Washington State I use Shell V-Power 92. I haven't used Chevron yet on my 08 TL. Just bought this gem from my brother in Seattle. Should I try Chevron 94 or stick with the Shell?

Thanks
My first post in Acurazine.
Do a Pepsi challenge - try Chevron 94 and see if there is any difference in mileaege and see how that difference compares in price (Chevron 94 is more expensive than V-Power, iirc) and power. You ought to be getting excellent power from both, as neither of those brands of supreme have ethanol added to them (pure gas combusts much for efficiently). Costco supreme I found gives great gas mileage, but has ethanol added.

Mind you, it's pretty hard to say no to 1.12 Chevron 91 in Point Roberts. Every time I come over from the Island I deke over to PR ftw!! NEXUS card helps a lot for that!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Oh well. I love it when 'new' people come to this thread without reading any of the post and just post the same repetitive thing. "Gas is gas" durp
Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kane337
Here is a list of top tier gasoline retailers in the USA and Canada.

In alphabetical order...

USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Canada
Chevron Canada
Esso
PetroCanada
Shell Canada
Sunoco Canada

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

+1
Esso
PetroCanada
Shell Canada
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I only use chevron or shell. Unless I'm desperate for gas.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Techron is one of the best fuel injector cleaners one can use and if you are getting a dose of it in every fill up I'd fill at Chevron. Unfortunately us Canadian's (well at least the east coast) don't have Chevron so I always pump the next best Shell V-Power.

I also throw in a bottle of Redline SI-1 before next oil change.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
QuikTrip 93 octane. Usually pretty cheap compared to other stations. Guaranteed too.

GUARANTEED GASOLINE

QuikTrip fuel is unconditionally guaranteed.

That means if you ever have a fuel-related problem with your vehicle caused by QuikTrip fuel, QuikTrip will take care of the problem. That doesn't mean we'll give you your money back and wish you luck. It means we will work with you to solve the problem. We can only offer this type of guarantee because we are sure our fuel is of the highest quality.

If you do experience a problem, follow these simple steps:

Call our toll-free number: 1-800-848-1966.

We’ll send you a simple form for you and your ASE mechanic to complete.

Send us the completed form along with your estimate for the repairs necessary due to the QuikTrip fuel.

Your information will be reviewed and any repairs determined to be caused by QuikTrip’s fuel will be covered.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
This thread gives me a headache.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
there are already abuot 100 'best gas' threads.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I try to stick to certain stations but recently one of them had an issue with a load where the ethanol 'separated' from the fossil fuel. Stranded a bunch of people and the company is going to pay to get them repaired.

Bottom line is you never know.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 145 Posts
I've always heard that Chevron is the best gas, Not sure if that's true but that's the only place I ever fill up and always premium
Old 02-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only use SHELL...
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
My 2007 type-s recommends premium unleaded gasoline.

All I have around me are Marathons, which sell 93 octane. Haven't seen anyone mention Marathon in this thread. Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
As someone else mentioned, Shell has a grocery-store points deal with one of the local grocery chains here in the DC area (Giant), so I tend to shop at Giant and buy gas at Shell. You get 10¢ off per gallon for every 100 gas points, and you get 1 gas point per dollar at Giant except for beer and wine purchases (sometimes they have bonus-point deals too), so the points add up fairly quickly and I try to time the cars' fillups so there's always some discount. If I don't have enough gas points, I usually go to the Sunoco near our house since it's usually about a nickel a gallon cheaper than the Shell prior to applying any points discounts and all the other nearby stations are more expensive. At the Sunoco I get the 91 octane to save 2¢ a gallon because the car seems to run equally well on both 91 and 93. At the Shell I get 93 because Sunoco are the only stations around here to sell 91.

The only "off-brands" I've used regularly are Liberty and Wawa and I've never had any problem with either of them. Liberty is no longer any cheaper than the Shell and Sunoco I mentioned, though, and the nearest Wawa is in the next county over so I only stop there if I go to Wegmans. At the Wawa the highest octane is 92, which used to be the standard around here until the early 1990s.

The big thing to me is price and whether the station is a reliable one. There's a no-name station about a mile and a half from home that never seems to have much business, so I don't go there. I figure lack of business is a bad sign.

Type in your local area code + the jenny number, and you can receive up to 50 cents off your gas per gallon.

Reason behind this:

Most people are lazy when filling out those grocery store promotions and don't want to hand out their real number....so what's the first "fake" number that comes to mind....JENNY 867 5309.

I live in northern VA so at the gas pump I would type in (703) 867 5309
New york: (212) 867 5309
LA: (301) 867 5309.....
etc...
etc...

Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunoco Ethanol Free vs. Shell

I have a 2012 TL. When I bought my car, my salesperson of course told me to use a high-octane gas, but also told me to use ethanol-free if I could. Well, ethanol-free gas is hard to find, but I guess I am lucky, since there is a Sunoco station close to me, and they advertise ethanol-free. I have talked to the manager, and they adamantly assure me they use ethanol free only. I'm not sure it is actually Sunoco gas, as they use some independent gas distributor (they told me). I have used this gas religiously. But it is about 10¢ higher than higher octane gas from other stations. There are also two Shell gas stations close to me as well. Should I continue using the ethanol free or use the Shell premium? I have about 11,000 miles on the car right now. It seems that my MPG has gone down just a little. On the highway, I used to get 31-32; now I am getting 29-30 - using the same gas. thanks.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Type Stealth

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Over the last few weeks I have done for my own car 07 Tl type S a few tests in terms of different gas stations. I went from trying out Costco 91 to Sunoco Ultra 93 to BP 93 with invigorate to Shell 93 V-power to Mobile Exxon 93 to a no name gas station named 19. The best gas mileage I received with similar driving habits and mixed city/highway at least in NJ for me is Shell. I get the most mileage to my gas by using Shell with BP and Mobil falling at least 50 mile or more short in terms of gas mileage overall. Its almost 4.00 dollars a gallon here but I rather spend that than the alternative for less mileage. Weird part was when I tried Costco it immediately gave me an engine light I had to go to the dealership to clear smh. Well thats my thoughts....Shell JUST do it!!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I would only use ethanol free gas if it was a top tier gas. If it was of unknown origin, I'd rather just use a 10% blend of a top tier brand.

Sure, you may get better gas mileage with the ethanol free, but you may end up with excess sludge and deposits in your engine with a non-top tier gas. A while back I commented about how I did an engine teardown on my other car and my dad's car (which have the same engines and miles, driven in similar conditions), and my car, which has only seen top tier gas, was very clean, wheras my dad's engine had all sorts of crap in it.

The detergent package makes a huge difference... Especially if you are paying more for the ethanol free, if you don't know what brand it was, I'd opt for the Shell V-Power.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I love these gas post...

My test with Chevron, Shell, 76, Mobil and Arco
For a couples of months a been testing which gas was better for my TL 08

I filled the tank full every time the gas light will light up.
and i only use the car from home to work and vice versa.
I test the same gas 3 times before i change to the next one.

I started first with 76 gas (Conoco)
For my first fill up i was able to get 302.7 miles
For the second i got 303.8
and third for 304.0

Shell
First time 303.4
Second 304.3
Third 303.9

Chevron
First time 304.3
Second 304.0
Third 304.2

Arco (BP)
First 278.1
Second 276.9
Third 276.1

Mobil
First 301.5
Second 302.9
Third 303.3

I guess all the gas are the same... well except for Arco (BP) which gave me the lowest miles. Also the gas felt heavy when i was driving it.

original post
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/my-test-chevron-shell-76-mobil-arco-834317/
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (03-13-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
JJH
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 254 Posts
Dang, I thought that the consensus was that BP Premium with Invigorate was the best for our cars?

I have a bunch of Marathon gas stations by me, I wonder where they fit in.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I used to use BP because it had the best price. But I noticed my car would jerk when I accelerated and it was due to the shit invigorate they put in there gas. I called Acura and they told me to use Sunoco. They said they test there cars on Sunoco gas. So I've been using Sunoco since and it's been all good.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts

I've done my share of tests too, and no matter what anyone says, Shell V-Power provides the best throttle response.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hess seems to last me the longest!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have tried a lot of different gas stations and I seem to get the best milage when I use Sunoco.