3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bra, rear bumper parking protection& NYC install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Oakland Team Nighthawker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Bra, rear bumper parking protection& NYC install?

I just got an 05 NBP/black interior A-SPEC body kit with nav (and plood inserts). ahh, it's great.

Ok folks, i did search and didn't see clear recent posts comparing the various bras that are available. I wanted to know what folks thought was the best, and also if they had a great installer in the NYC area.

So far i see expel and rockblocker. What have been folks' experiences with the materials thus far, including the cuts available especially for A-SPEC body kits, and what would y'all suggest that i get?

Also, i park in the street often and want a lil protection on the rear bumper as well. any ideas on how to do that without those ugly bumps or strips? i've seen other posts where folks' main answer was that they don't drive into NYC, or they drive some other vehicle. I'd like some more constructive ideas for what to do with my back bumper.

Lastly, if any of you have a great installer in the NYC area that would be great info as well, since installation is at least as important as the film itself.

thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Registered TL User

You might want to check out car bumper protection. Looks like they do brisk business in NYC particularly for those who park in tight parking garages.

http://bumperpad.com/index.html
Old 01-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I have seen tons of 04/05 TLs got scratched or dings into bumpers.. it's hopeless, IMO. Wish you could get good ways to protect your vehicle. Good luck to you.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned

Hi there,

I saw your email already and replied to it for a great installer, but I thought others might want in the NYC area would want to know as well.

Lee Berrebi
973-477-6717

Lee also does window tinting and has been installing for years now. He just did a TL last week and the customer let us know how great it came out.

Take care. Let me know if I can help with anything else

Chad
Old 01-11-2005, 08:27 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I have theee most protected car for NYC here in the forum and probably of any TL for that matter.

See post #9 in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=rear

And post # 134 here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=102604&page=6

PM me for further info.
Edit by MOD rets: I re-write the # from 138 to 134 due to re-index. Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 08:11 AM
I slow down for COPS

Rear Bumper Clear Bra

I do installations of the 3M clear bra in MO. Too far from you, but if you find a quality installer in your area, they should be able to do the entire rear bumper. This way it is really invisible.

By the way, I did it on my 05TL, so it is possible an fairly easy for someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the clear bra on the rear bumper help protect it when someone hits your rear bumper? The license plate on the front of the cars has the screws sticking out.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
Does the clear bra on the rear bumper help protect it when someone hits your rear bumper? The license plate on the front of the cars has the screws sticking out.
well maybe...if the impact speed is like < 3 mph
Old 01-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6mtV6

Car vs. Car will cause damage everyone is pretty sure of that. The license plate screws dont help any either. Depending on the impact speed, angle of hit and height differences between two vehicles can all be factors of what will happen.

Will it help - Certainly it can. We have several customers that have used this product to help with that in Great NYC and Chicago.

If anyone has any questions on clear bras let us know. We would be glad to help.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DMZ
I have theee most protected car for NYC here in the forum and probably of any TL for that matter.

See post #9 in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=rear

And post # 134 here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=102604&page=6

PM me for further info.
Edit by MOD rets: I re-write the # from 138 to 134 due to re-index. Thanks
I have to agree DMZ's TL is well protected by this setup. After seeing it in person, it's unbelievable that his car is as beautiful as the new one. It's hard to get dings or scratch free in NYC street parking. Even though you park in the garage, you have to worry those lizards may hurt your car when doing the 360 degree turning around in that tiny space. I think the color will match well for those dark-color TLs.
Originally Posted by DMZ
The Solution after you get your bumper refinished:

A 5/8" thick moulding the same color as the splash guards all the way around, with the ends cut at the same angle as the bumper to look factory. Above that, two 8 mil thick layers (16 mil total) of 3M Paint Protection film for those SUV moments. I've already had the pleasure if just 'wiping off' a couple of those little license plate bolt circles. It's amazing how many TL's I see here in the Big Apple already collecting dings and 'circles' on the rear bumpers. So far, I think I'm the only one who's come up with the solution. In fact, most of the folks at Curry are astonished yet complimentary of all the protection work I've had done. Considering the state of automotive affairs today, I can't see any alternative.

Had this installed BEFORE delivery by Pinstripe Pete, the guy who does all the custom moulding and 3M protection stuff for Curry and most of the dealers in the Bronx and Westchester. After delivery, he'll deal with you directly. I haven't taken all the pics I've wanted to of all the work I had him do on my TL, but I assure you I'm protected TO THE ABSOLUTE MAX.....ALL THE WAY AROUND THE CAR. If you look at the right edge of the picture, you'll see the last few inches of custom 3M fender well trims.

Living here in NYC, you should know you simply cannot afford to go without protection like this.

I too like Rets and others didn't get the Backup Sensors because those open black holes stick out like sore thumbs versus the factory sensors on EVERY OTHER MAKE of car. Stupid design Acura!!!

Pinstripe Pete: 914-318-9927 ... Be sure to tell him where you got his #.