Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benz C230/C240/C320 bash the TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by scrb09
If they say TL is an overpriced accord I would say the C230 is an Kia with a Benz Emblem and really I mean it...did a test drive when I was shopping and seriously it is a JOKE...the base model comes with cloth interior...who in their right minds would want to buy a Benz with cloth interion ??????
Mercedes gave in to PETA a couple of months ago and now offers cloth as an option on its high-end cars, and some people are getting it. Guess somebody wants it...
Old 03-29-2005, 12:46 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rs808
You are correct. My wife is great friends with a girl who owns MB dealership in SC. She told my family to completely stay away from the C class cars. She said they're having all kinds of issues and are constantly in for warranty work. She also said the quality of the MB is going down because of the purchase of Chrysler.
And yet Chrysler's quality has apparently improved somewhat since the merger (takeover?).

Go figure.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
So I've been involved in quite a heated conversation in the mbworld.org board where they completely bash the TL, be it 04 or 05 Navi or Non-Navi, it doesn;t matter. I've also been in this conversation at work where I used to drive an E320 to work but now I drive the TL now....

What do you guys think about this?

For the people you work with, maybe you should just race them and whoop their ass...then they will shut up.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
From a Member with a 2003 C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan -->"Oh come off it....what planet are you from? I drove that junkey, rattley, POS TL......The one with the tin foil doors, the excessive roadnoise, the lack of airbags.

I wouldn't let my kids ride in that junk.
What was this guy talking about? Lack of airbags my ass. That makes no sense to me, and makes me think the poster just doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gf drives a 2005 C320 Sport SEDAN and I drive a TL, so I can tell you the differences (since I drive both cars every week)
Please note my TL has the ASPEC suspension setup, and her car is the sport trim.

TL > C320
+Engine is smoother, more powerful and linear in acceleration
+Car is roomier
+DVD-A sounds better than anything else
+Styling is more muscular, lighting is nicer (with LEDs and more precise HIDs)

C320>TL
+Engine is very torquey but loses some steam near the top, engine is also noisy - especially at startup, whereas the TL's engine and exhaust note just sounds better
+Suspension is just better.. more solid, absorbs bumps better while corners better too (probably because the car is RWD and center of gravity is very low) - I'd say the setup is as close to a 3 series as any car gets
+Steering is stiff and more well-weighted at speeds, not overly responsive like the TL's
+Turn radius probably lops a good 6 feet off the TL's
+12 Speaker Harmon Kardon system is better for all non-DVD-A applications
+Car seems to use less fuel (of course with less power)

Keep in mind, both cars weigh almost the same (within 200 lbs or so), so that's not really a factor. Given all this, I'd still prefer my TL, because it was about 10k less in price, faster, and I love the engine. It also suits a guy better I think. But I gotta tell you, parked side by side, not many cars LOOK more expensive than those mercedes with their nice chrome and clear bling bling faces.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Instructor

I just wanted to add that I think a lot of people on this thread are blindly defending the TL and hitting the C with random arguments. Honestly, I can tell you from experience both cars are VERY good, and the C makes a better alternative (as opposed to the TL) to a BMW 3 series since it's virtually the same car in a different flavor. If you've driven a lot of German and Japanese luxury cars, you'll realize that German cars focus more on passion and over-doing certain things way beyond what is necessary, while lacking in other things. Japanese cars focus on perfection and only giving what's necessary for all things, but not really over-doing anything. Perfect example: the TL's brake rotors are something like 11.8" or 12.2"(6mt) front, and 11.1" in back, while the new 3 series has 13+ inch brake rotors on all four wheels, for a 200lb lighter car. It's not necessary for sure, but hell, I'd love to have some monster brakes. The cars aren't more expensive for nothing.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Brother Sum

First I would ask why there are 6 different models of C Class Mercedes. How many versions are there of the TL; 1. You can get Navigation or not, that's about it. All the stuff MB charges extra for, the TL comes with standard, with more horsepower and MUCH better reliability..The top of the line C320:

MSRP $38,070.00*
Engine 3.2L 18 valve V6 engine
Net Power 215 hp @ 5,700 rpm
Net Torque 229 lb-ft @ 3,000 - 4,600 rpm

ok, so it's priced about the same a few grand higher, even though it as 55 less horsepower right?

Wrong.

My TL/5AT/NAVI, which I got for 34K out the DOOR has:

Leather Seats
Heated Seats
DVD Navigation
XM Radio
HandsfreeLink
Voice Commands
HID Headlights
A moonroof
5AT - Tiptronic
Homelink

C320, let's add that stuff since it's not standard.

Leather Seats: additional cost not given
Heated Seats: additional: $680.00
DVD Navigation: additional $2,210.00
XM Radio: additional: $699.00
HandsfreeLink: additional: $765.00
HID Headlights: additional: $790.00
A moonroof including homelink: additional: $1,790.00
5 Speed Automatic: $1,390.00

$48,574.00, and with 215hp.

I rest my case. Hell, I can get a TSX / 200hp loaded for $29K with leather, nav etc.

J-Tow
Old 03-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

To each his own. A family friend just got a 240, there comfortable, but sluggish. I hear there 0-60 is in the 9 seconds range. As far as luxery a fully loaded C is pretty nice. But not quite as fast. Now an S600...
Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think females look best rollin in a C class
Old 03-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Instructor

I drove a C230 Kompressor and really wanted to like it.. I wasn't impressed one bit: It was slow as hell, no cool gadgets and didn't feel that tight. I really liked the way the Black on Black sport model looked, but didn't hold up to the value of my TL. I think these people are the same ones who buy BMW 3-series and are now euro-snob wanna be's. Buy and E-class or a 5-series then bash my car and I'll agree.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Instructor

MERCEDES SUX ASS

I am bashin their cars b/c i used to own one and they do suck!

problems here and there. Those dumbf*cks need to learn to get a car daz worth the $ and stop sayin the TL sux jus cuz its FWD. The TL outperforms the C class w/ FWD lol. No point havin RWD in C class if they can't even handle like BMW.

But it doesn't really matter, cuz Acura cars should last about 2x longer and cost 2-4x cheaper to maintain. Their loss :P
Old 03-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tecworld
My gf drives a 2005 C320 Sport SEDAN and I drive a TL, so I can tell you the differences (since I drive both cars every week)
Please note my TL has the ASPEC suspension setup, and her car is the sport trim.

TL > C320
+Engine is smoother, more powerful and linear in acceleration
+Car is roomier
+DVD-A sounds better than anything else
+Styling is more muscular, lighting is nicer (with LEDs and more precise HIDs)

C320>TL
+Engine is very torquey but loses some steam near the top, engine is also noisy - especially at startup, whereas the TL's engine and exhaust note just sounds better
+Suspension is just better.. more solid, absorbs bumps better while corners better too (probably because the car is RWD and center of gravity is very low) - I'd say the setup is as close to a 3 series as any car gets
+Steering is stiff and more well-weighted at speeds, not overly responsive like the TL's
+Turn radius probably lops a good 6 feet off the TL's
+12 Speaker Harmon Kardon system is better for all non-DVD-A applications
+Car seems to use less fuel (of course with less power)

Keep in mind, both cars weigh almost the same (within 200 lbs or so), so that's not really a factor. Given all this, I'd still prefer my TL, because it was about 10k less in price, faster, and I love the engine. It also suits a guy better I think. But I gotta tell you, parked side by side, not many cars LOOK more expensive than those mercedes with their nice chrome and clear bling bling faces.
I just wanted to add that I think a lot of people on this thread are blindly defending the TL and hitting the C with random arguments. Honestly, I can tell you from experience both cars are VERY good, and the C makes a better alternative (as opposed to the TL) to a BMW 3 series since it's virtually the same car in a different flavor. If you've driven a lot of German and Japanese luxury cars, you'll realize that German cars focus more on passion and over-doing certain things way beyond what is necessary, while lacking in other things. Japanese cars focus on perfection and only giving what's necessary for all things, but not really over-doing anything. Perfect example: the TL's brake rotors are something like 11.8" or 12.2"(6mt) front, and 11.1" in back, while the new 3 series has 13+ inch brake rotors on all four wheels, for a 200lb lighter car. It's not necessary for sure, but hell, I'd love to have some monster brakes. The cars aren't more expensive for nothing.
Well said. Good reviews...
Old 03-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Grandpa

And... in conclusion... members of an Acura enthusiast site prefer Acura products. And when owners of other brands bash Acura products, members of this site are outraged..

Is this a surprise?

PS.. The MB C's in my neighbourhood are exclusively driven by women - who could not afford the M class.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2LOW4U
True, but the 3 series BMW is their bread and butter, that is what they stake their rep on, like the M3 and 330i
I get a kick out of people who bash some of these hi profile automobiles. BMW does not make down any of their models. As a matter of fact the 3 series (325i, 330i M3) have been for more reliable than their new flag ship 7 series. We own a 330i Bimmer (and an Acura RL and TL) and I can promise you the BMW will hold it's own against these two automobiles. Handling wise Acura should be so good as BMW. The BMW is the reference automobile in all catagories (EXCEPT the 7 series) that other vendors shoot for. This is no accident! The 3 series is the most successful line of cars for BMW. So you think they are gonna cut corners on their bread and butter cash cow??? Not too logical. Look you are allowed to say pretty much what you want to on these forums . . . Dollar for dollar the TL is probably one of the better buys out there right not but it's NOT a BMW . . .
Old 03-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Red face

Originally Posted by TLOBLLC
And... in conclusion... members of an Acura enthusiast site prefer Acura products. And when owners of other brands bash Acura products, members of this site are outraged..

Is this a surprise?

PS.. The MB C's in my neighbourhood are exclusively driven by women - who could not afford the M class.
Not really. ou sig said it well, "each owner is going to be loyal to their cars"... Except the passion, heritage, reputation, and prestige, etc, I don't see too many real comparisons from those MB owners, here, at least lots of ppl can detail/describe prs/cons about TL/MB...

Btw, this is the Acura-bias forum, what do you expect!?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
E-Xtraordinare

I used to drive an E320 until the TL (TenderLoving) came into my life. But anyways, ehre's what I said to edn it because it was stupid or at least gotten way out of hand..

And I quote, "Why you guys getting mad, its all fun and games. You guys paid a price for name. Wait, why a C230, the lowest model in the Mercedes Line-up. I wish my E had some of the features my TL got. Think of it like this my chap, I got any of these to choose from every morning.

People taking it so seriously. Don't be mad cause your at the bottom of the totem pole....its okay. Your time will come or for some of you, time may already faded, thats why you needed to hurry up and get on the Benz bandwagon but startin out small is good. Good luck fellows..."
Old 03-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i currently have both vehicles and i prefer the TL... i have to admit that the ride of the MB is very smooth and quiet compared to the TL but i would rather have the raw power... my TL is a first gen with only 200 hp stock and the new 240 4 matic we just bought sits under 180??? i mean power for power it is just a dumb answer... but it all depends on how u want to ride... i would rather roll the MB through potholes cause they can handle it better than my TL, and if i have to go to a wedding give me the MB... but everyday FUN i drive my TL...

i already got flamed for putting a cover on the C-Class even when it sits in a garage... its cause it doesn't get driven much and i hate dusting the car truthfully...
Old 03-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazymjb
To each his own. A family friend just got a 240, there comfortable, but sluggish. I hear there 0-60 is in the 9 seconds range. As far as luxery a fully loaded C is pretty nice. But not quite as fast. Now an S600...
Don't mean to interrupt yer automobile fantasies but you might consider spending a little more time with yer English teacher at school instead of glooming all those automobile mags. . . Contraction for 'they are' is NOT there! Lol
Old 03-30-2005, 08:25 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
Don't mean to interrupt yer automobile fantasies but you might consider spending a little more time with yer English teacher at school instead of glooming all those automobile mags. . . Contraction for 'they are' is NOT there! Lol
you are :ghey:

Most people know this but make mistakes because it is :gasp: the internet.

:gheylaugh:
Old 03-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
...i already got flamed for putting a cover on the C-Class even when it sits in a garage... its cause it doesn't get driven much and i hate dusting the car truthfully...
Lol, sometimes I do feel the same way. I hate dust, too...
Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 PM
4th Gear

I just bought a TL w/ navi.

Also in consideration was the G35 coupe (prettiest car on the road under $40,000), the audi A4 (love AWD), the RX-8 (owned an rx-7), and the MBZ C230 (very slick looking in red).

It took me 4 months to mull over which one to pick through test drives, price, options, performance, crash testing, reliability, etc. I went through every concievable pro and con between all five.

Speaking about the MBZ specifically, when you get right down to it, what you will really be paying for the prestige of owning a car with the MBZ badge. end of story. The TL is a testament to that.

I paid about $33,500 for mine. If you go to www.mbusa.com and price out a c230 comparably equiped, it comes out to over $40,000. And you still come out with about 80 less HP.

(disclaimer: this is aimed only at the MBZ TL haters)
Now some cars just click with people regardless of price, style, performance, i get it, but for the people that own a C230-240 and trash the TL, what you have is a mercedes cling-on club member who is willing to take it in the pooper to be in the club. And if they offered spinner hubcaps as an option, Im sure they would pull their foodstamps together to get 'em.

What it really all boils down to is that they are shallow people who need to feel validated through an emblem on the hood of their car.

The quickest way to become poor is trying to prove how rich you are.....vanity is a bitch sometimes.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a 1996 C280 .. one of the best built cars on the road .. however, my dumbass bought it w/o any traction control (now it's a standard feature on all their cars) .. so it scared the crap outta me in the winter. Traded it in later on. It was very solid... smooth engine, no rattles/creaks... handled very well for a non-sport Benz. At the time, I thought the world of the C-class...

I think the new C-class is now returning to the quality of the '96 generation of C-class... i know that they have faltered in quality and craftsmanship b/w these years and the present... however, my buddy's new C55 AMG is probably one of the nicest cars I've been in .. in terms of luxury, ammeneties (sp??) and quality of construction.

I like the C-class... I do NOT like people that bash other cars simply b/c they are not the same marque as the car they own.

Remember folks...
1) driving a Mercedes does not make your penis bigger
2) it does NOT put more money in your savings account (rather, it takes more out)
3) it does NOT give you another couple letters after your name (i.e. MD, PhD, JD)
4) it does NOT make your salary go up
5) and it does not make your wife hotter

Case closed.

(also, for the record, the TL does none of the above as well...)
Old 03-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't meen to drag this off topic, but english is my worst scool subject. Still in curric 1 though. Sry, it was internet talk. They are -> They're. If ur alternating btween aim and this ur type language gets alittle slured.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:09 PM
E-Xtraordinare

Jackie and peter put it so well. I just wish these guys can read this. They're tellin me do I wanna get flamed?..tha hell does that mean?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:10 PM
E-Xtraordinare

I have E320 and within the first 6 hours of me receiving it, it had a malfunction big enough to get towed out of my garage and in the dealership bay fr over a week. SRS malfunction, Tele-Aid says, "step out of vehicle, airbags can deploy at any time."
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I bought a 1996 C280 .. one of the best built cars on the road .. however, my dumbass bought it w/o any traction control (now it's a standard feature on all their cars) .. so it scared the crap outta me in the winter. Traded it in later on. It was very solid... smooth engine, no rattles/creaks... handled very well for a non-sport Benz. At the time, I thought the world of the C-class...

I think the new C-class is now returning to the quality of the '96 generation of C-class... i know that they have faltered in quality and craftsmanship b/w these years and the present... however, my buddy's new C55 AMG is probably one of the nicest cars I've been in .. in terms of luxury, ammeneties (sp??) and quality of construction.

I like the C-class... I do NOT like people that bash other cars simply b/c they are not the same marque as the car they own.

Remember folks...
2) it does NOT put more money in your savings account (rather, it takes more out)
3) it does NOT give you another couple letters after your name (i.e. MD, PhD, JD)

Case closed.

Oh I don't know . .. I could swear my Mr. Johnson is a little bigger now and my wife is diffinitely hotter . . .
Old 03-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Don't meen to drag this off topic, but english is my worst scool subject. Still in curric 1 though. Sry, it was internet talk. They are -> They're. If ur alternating btween aim and this ur type language gets alittle slured.
We unnerstan completely and the beer doesnt' help either . . .
Old 03-31-2005, 07:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
FWIW, cast iron brake rotors are a very cheap commodity so the size of the rotor has very little effect on the price of the car. Agreed that BMW put big rotors on their cars as well as MB, however it does increase the rotational inertia so some effect on performance does occur such as a very slight increase in fuel economy. Honda/Acura (as well as other Japanese manufactures) has sometimes undersized their rotors.

4 piston calipers on the other hand cost considerably more expensive than single piston. BMW does not even offer 4 piston calipers on their vehicles, the next gen M5 will have 2 piston calipers. The current E55 has 8 piston calipers in the front and 4 piston in the rear calipers.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
I get a kick out of people who bash some of these hi profile automobiles. BMW does not make down any of their models. As a matter of fact the 3 series (325i, 330i M3) have been for more reliable than their new flag ship 7 series. We own a 330i Bimmer (and an Acura RL and TL) and I can promise you the BMW will hold it's own against these two automobiles. Handling wise Acura should be so good as BMW. The BMW is the reference automobile in all catagories (EXCEPT the 7 series) that other vendors shoot for. This is no accident! The 3 series is the most successful line of cars for BMW. So you think they are gonna cut corners on their bread and butter cash cow??? Not too logical. Look you are allowed to say pretty much what you want to on these forums . . . Dollar for dollar the TL is probably one of the better buys out there right not but it's NOT a BMW . . .
I agree on the quality issue. My brother has owned 5 BMW's (three 3 series, a 5 series and a M6, the only brand he has ever owned). I've worked on all but one of them. From my experience BMW does not cheapen down the 3 series from the other higher series. Sure the seats may not be quite as nice but in terms of components such as electrical connectors, bolts, suspension parts they are all very similar.

In terms of reference automobile, the driving experience I agree on but not exterior or interior design on current BMW's. The Bangles/Idrive BMW's are currently testing traditonal BMW owner's loyalty's. The sales drop in the 7 series series caused a 2 year pull-in on the mild exterior restyling schedule.

My opinion is that MB is the styling benchmark for interior and exterior styling these days (esspecially the new CLS and new SLK), MB may have alot of quality/reliablity issues they're dealing with but ugly cars is not one of them.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Jackie Chiles-
The quickest way to become poor is trying to prove how rich you are.....vanity is a bitch sometimes.[/QUOTE]

nice quote and so true
Old 03-31-2005, 07:49 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Remember folks...

Case closed.

For crying out lout, that's so freakin funny. I couldn't have put it better.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

MB quality

Here is some of those MB quality issues we were talking about.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/31/Auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Old 04-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLOBLLC

Is this a surprise?

p.s. The Acuras in my neighborhood (that is how you spell it) are driven by men and women-who could not afford a Benz.

I find the C-class to be a very good car, the restyled one with the AMG bumper and 17" wheels looks fantastic. Yes they are pretty high priced but good cars.

And they make C32 and C43 etc etc, no Acura sedan can begin to match that.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Remember folks...

Case closed.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
p.s. The Acuras in my neighborhood (that is how you spell it) are driven by men and women-who could not afford a Benz.

I find the C-class to be a very good car, the restyled one with the AMG bumper and 17" wheels looks fantastic. Yes they are pretty high priced but good cars.

And they make C32 and C43 etc etc, no Acura sedan can begin to match that.

ACURAS are driven by people who cant afford a Benz....THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS BUDDY C CLASS BENZ'S ARE DRIVEN BY PEOPLE WHO CANNOT AFFORD A "REAL" BENZ (e.g. the E or the S class...)

Check the prices you can get a C 240 fully loaded for around the same price of the TL...but as I like to say C240 is like a KIA with a freeking benz badge...
Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Cruisin'

Don't let MB's recall of 1.3 million cars worldwide yesterday blunt your enthusiasm!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by scrb09

ACURAS are driven by people who cant afford a Benz....THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS BUDDY C CLASS BENZ'S ARE DRIVEN BY PEOPLE WHO CANNOT AFFORD A "REAL" BENZ (e.g. the E or the S class...)

Check the prices you can get a C 240 fully loaded for around the same price of the TL...but as I like to say C240 is like a KIA with a freeking benz badge...
Hey what about us who drive Mercedes, BMW AND Acura's? We seem to all have one thing in common. We appreciate Automobiles . . . Just different makes for different tastes and driving thrills. I love my Acura TL and I fully enjoy the BMW 330i (wifes drives mostly) and I really loved my Mercedes 450sl. Each car brings me pleasure in some same ways and some different ways. They all have short comings. I won't list them here - most you know already. No need to put down other folks and their Auto choices.

An Acura won't make yer wang any bigger and an Mercedes won't make it any smaller. (someone here already said that I think.) So let's all play nice together. It's a leap frog auto world anyway - what's hot today isn't so hot tomorrow.

I say to the lady down the street who purchases a C-class Mercedes, "good on you girl", at least you have good taste in wheels. . . I'd rather have a Benz in the neighborhood than a Buick. Now there's some sheet metal to bash!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah but it was not for an oil jet ... or a tranny.. where the fix would possibly impact the performance of the car. yeah those are huge numbers and I am not a fan of MB, just that this kind of recall is better than some I have experienced with other brands...
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Instructor

my TL rocks, but my CLK 320 owns all!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:40 PM
E-Xtraordinare

C-class drivers are Benz bandwagon riders who couldn't afford to spend some real money on an E-class. Especially those who have a C230 or C240, couldn;t scrap up money to get a C32 or C55 AMG...

All in all, these low C230/C240/C320 are a bunch of Matchbox lookin "cars"

Quick Reply: Benz C230/C240/C320 bash the TL