Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beat G35 Coupe 6-Speed..07 3.5 Altima 6-speed..vids inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
That's fine. It is funny how people on this site get so caught up in hating G35 owners and the car themselves because I can't remember the last time I read about a G35 owner ripping on TL owners at G35driver.com. Honestly, G35 owners don't focus on TLs at all. It's probably because we don't discuss street kills on the site and we're a bit more concerned about what numbers your car puts up under the timing lights, not the stop lights.
haha come on man its a fwd! most people that drive a TL arent skilled enough of a driver to even bust a 2.3 60ft in their 6-speed...i post my numbers at the strip but im one of the rare few that actually knows whats goin on...most infiniti/acura owners buy mods and have them put on by a mechanic and hope they achieve better performance..if im reading you right, you are like me in that you research products and then install them yourself and try to achieve most of your performance by driving skill...honestly i believe i could run at least a 14.1-14.2 in my car if it were stock...i can humbly say i can drive the hell outta my car..i think i have proved myself on this forum..im anxious to see what times i can get with my new mods..i have some DRs available to use, and with them i know i can at least get a 13.5 or lower with 260whp or less...i just havnt tried yet because of what it will do to my clutch...btw good find on the 13.8 on a stock G, i apologize for my false statement..im sure some G owners would never expect a 13.9 outta a TL with just an intake...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
Yeah, listen to the magazine critics and online forum kids, that'll get you places in life. Better yet, the chairman of Honda should go to one of those drag strips and ask some of the bright fellows there what layout their next car should be. Honda Motor Company is one of the largest and most successful companies in the world, I don't think they need to prove anything to anyone. The sales for all their cars speak for themselves. While it would be nice to have RWD, they obviously have their reasons for not doing so, and I trust them rather than a bunch of dead-end article writers or slack-jawed drag strip vets. However, it does looks like their whole line-up is opting towards SH-AWD from the RL, and with TSX rumored to get the turbo 2.4L, and the TL possibly getting the 3.7, I think they have something up their sleeves for the next generation.
Largest car companies in the world? Huh? Honda/Acura (automotive) has an extremely small share of the car market. They're tiny compared to the other players in the market like Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Ford, GM, etc. Honda is extremely successful, but a big car is something they're not. They have NEVER been nor do they every plan to be a large car company. It's probably why they've been able to introduce quality products since day one.

As for dead-end article writers or slack-jawed drag strip vets pimping RWD, it's the ideal performance set up. With FWD, you'll never achieve the ideal 50/50 weight balance therefore you'll never get correct dynamics. You'll always be stuck with 60+% of the weight in the front. FWD is good for two things: it's cheaper than RWD and it makes for more interior room. That's it. FWD understeers and there's only so much power you can send to the front wheels. Launch a 250hp+ FWD car and a 250hp+ RWD and you'll see what I mean. Same goes for punching it in the corners and at slow speeds. FWD torque steers and the front end gets light under heavy acceleration. With RWD, you don't have to contend with that. If FWD was so great, then we'd have FWD Corvettes, Vipers, Ferrari's, etc.

Yes, I am bashing Honda for making the TL FWD. The car could be so great if it was RWD and I know 90%+ of you TL nutswingers would be cheering to the heavens if Honda made that decision because deep in your hearts you know it's the ideal performance setup. Honda has done a great job with the TL and they've made a ton of money on it, but just imagine how much better it could be driving the right wheels?

Two of the world's best handling cars were/are made by Honda and they're both RWD.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by type-s09
haha come on man its a fwd! most people that drive a TL arent skilled enough of a driver to even bust a 2.3 60ft in their 6-speed...i post my numbers at the strip but im one of the rare few that actually knows whats goin on...most infiniti/acura owners buy mods and have them put on by a mechanic and hope they achieve better performance..if im reading you right, you are like me in that you research products and then install them yourself and try to achieve most of your performance by driving skill...honestly i believe i could run at least a 14.1-14.2 in my car if it were stock...i can humbly say i can drive the hell outta my car..i think i have proved myself on this forum..im anxious to see what times i can get with my new mods..i have some DRs available to use, and with them i know i can at least get a 13.5 or lower with 260whp or less...i just havnt tried yet because of what it will do to my clutch...btw good find on the 13.8 on a stock G, i apologize for my false statement..im sure some G owners would never expect a 13.9 outta a TL with just an intake...
I agree with everything you said. I get flamed on G35driver constantly because I doubt the legitmacy of many of the "power" mods available for the G/Z cars. I research the hell out of mods before they go on my car. That's great you do the same because you'll save a lot of money doing it right.

I also agree with you about G owners blindly buying stuff and having some shop install it. Sadly, most G owners are like this and they don't realize that the driver is the best mod. You understand this.

Getting good 60 foots out of FWD is extremely hard and you're right, 2.3 60 foots are the norm for most FWD cars including the TL. People get too greedy with the throttle. It's takes a lot finesse to get it just right. It took me 2.5 years to take my modded Maxima from mid 2.3 60 foots to lower 2.1 60 foots on street tires.

My question to you is why are you wasting your time with street tires? Man up and get some slicks Forget DRs, go straight for the jugular and do it right. You could easily be looking at 13.5s. I know of many Maxima owners pulling 1.7-1.8 60 foots on 26" slicks with only 210-230whp. Do it.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by stillhere153
I talked some shit with my boys about type-s09 how he is pushing a base and talks alot... but honestly after seeing these vids, he is no joke, I want to see him run an experienced driver in a 350z, same motor as the g slightly lighter

ps. YOU FUCKING MURDERED THOSE DATSUNS
ive got a good one for ya next weekend..im gonna run my friends TT 350z that puts down 386whp...he cant drive worth a damn so i will beat him 1/8th mile, now the next 1/8th is a different story...it will be a good video and thats about it...heres a vid of him runnin a low 12 second/high 11 second evo..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQM6qQ9md4
the evo obviously is giving the 350z some room to actually keep up..still doesnt work..i told him to let me drive his Z and i would give the evo a run for his $ but he wont let me..
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AcuraTLboi
I noticed that RWD spins out more than FWD.. I know this because we own a 330i and i spun out once in it and dam that shti was scary. I have yet spun out in the TL *knocks on wood* so far.
Yes, RWD is far more prone to lift throttle and power oversteer, but that's what makes the cars so much fun. I find it very easy to control because I've owned a modded 94 Z28 back in the day and all my roommates drove modded Stangs, so dealing with oversteer is nothing new. Any new RWD car has stability control which won't let you go into wild oversteer or cause a spin out. My G35's stability control butts in more than I want it to, so when I'm feeling frisky, I turn it off. From there I can hang the tail out wide and steer with the back end. It's a blast.

Now if you try some ham-fisted manuver like yanking the steering wheel right at 70mph on a rain soaked highway, you'll make any car spin out, FWD/RWD/AWD, with or without stability control.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:36 PM

I agree with everything you said. I get flamed on G35driver constantly because I doubt the legitmacy of many of the "power" mods available for the G/Z cars. I research the hell out of mods before they go on my car. That's great you do the same because you'll save a lot of money doing it right.

I also agree with you about G owners blindly buying stuff and having some shop install it. Sadly, most G owners are like this and they don't realize that the driver is the best mod. You understand this.

Getting good 60 foots out of FWD is extremely hard and you're right, 2.3 60 foots are the norm for most FWD cars including the TL. People get too greedy with the throttle. It's takes a lot finesse to get it just right. It took me 2.5 years to take my modded Maxima from mid 2.3 60 foots to lower 2.1 60 foots on street tires.

My question to you is why are you wasting your time with street tires? Man up and get some slicks Forget DRs, go straight for the jugular and do it right. You could easily be looking at 13.5s. I know of many Maxima owners pulling 1.7-1.8 60 foots on 26" slicks with only 210-230whp. Do it.
trust me i want to get some sticky stuff between me and the ground...but somethings gotta give when you get that kinda traction...this is my daily driver and i cant afford to have it with broken axles or a burnt up clutch...i will be getting a spec stage 2 clutch next and that will bring new horizons for me...
on the throttle greedy drivers, most rwd drivers do teh same thing...the 2nd video of the G35 is a perfect example...i launch my car around 2k rpms and you see what success it brings me..with street tires, less throttle=better launch...some people are just do ignorant to see this...the only car i know of that you can launch at 7k rpms and almost full throttle on street tires is the s2000...it will cut 2.1s on the street all day long by this method...the only all motor rwd car that has beat me on the street is the s2000..i simply cannot compete with the launch....
Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 PM

Largest car companies in the world? Huh? Honda/Acura (automotive) has an extremely small share of the car market. They're tiny compared to the other players in the market like Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Ford, GM, etc. Honda is extremely successful, but a big car is something they're not. They have NEVER been nor do they every plan to be a large car company. It's probably why they've been able to introduce quality products since day one.

As for dead-end article writers or slack-jawed drag strip vets pimping RWD, it's the ideal performance set up. With FWD, you'll never achieve the ideal 50/50 weight balance therefore you'll never get correct dynamics. You'll always be stuck with 60+% of the weight in the front. FWD is good for two things: it's cheaper than RWD and it makes for more interior room. That's it. FWD understeers and there's only so much power you can send to the front wheels. Launch a 250hp+ FWD car and a 250hp+ RWD and you'll see what I mean. Same goes for punching it in the corners and at slow speeds. FWD torque steers and the front end gets light under heavy acceleration. With RWD, you don't have to contend with that. If FWD was so great, then we'd have FWD Corvettes, Vipers, Ferrari's, etc.

Yes, I am bashing Honda for making the TL FWD. The car could be so great if it was RWD and I know 90%+ of you TL nutswingers would be cheering to the heavens if Honda made that decision because deep in your hearts you know it's the ideal performance setup. Honda has done a great job with the TL and they've made a ton of money on it, but just imagine how much better it could be driving the right wheels?

Two of the world's best handling cars were/are made by Honda and they're both RWD.
i agree, until the last 15 years honda has not been a large auto company..i would say it is the one of the most popular imports out there...go drive right now and count how many honda accords/civics you see..i garuntee it will outnumber any other import you see on the road...
Honda started out making small motors like lawn mowers and such...until the late late 80s they were not respected as a large automobile company...i would say they are one of largest GROWING car manufacturers there is...
"you dont know where you are going unless you know where you have been"
s2000 and nsx are one of the 2 best handling japanese rwd cars ever made..there are many more tho
As for fwd, look at the Integra Type-R...it is a legend and still is the best handling FWD car of all time...you will probably never see a car again at that caliber..
Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 PM

btw: I am on 19x8.5 wheels w/ about -3 degrees camber= terrible settings for traction!
i have my camber kit sitting right here...just have to put it on :/
Old 01-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not arguing that FWD is better than RWD in any way. Period. Performance-wise, the two cannot compete. However, changing to the TL to RWD will only satisify an extremely small amount of people and the R&D team at Honda knows this. They're moving their line to SH-AWD in the near future, so we'll see what that does for them. They already have their designs on point, which is more than I can say for Nissan/Infiniti or Toyota/Lexus.

Also, all this talk about understeer/oversteer and the handling effects of FWD...didn't the drift king rank the TL-S higher than the G35 in that japanese magazine? I'll have to dig up the article, but hes one writer I know that isn't payed off

edit: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/check-out-my-new-21-3-monitor-%2Apics%2A-151884/

Times...

RDX: 1:44
TL-S: 1:36
G35: 1:38
IS350: 1:38

Not bad considering it has the least power and torque out of the bunch and its FWD...
Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 AM
E55>>>TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's fine. It is funny how people on this site get so caught up in hating G35 owners and the car themselves because I can't remember the last time I read about a G35 owner ripping on TL owners at G35driver.com. Honestly, G35 owners don't focus on TLs at all. It's probably because we don't discuss street kills on the site and we're a bit more concerned about what numbers your car puts up under the timing lights, not the stop lights.
Let's not stray far from what I said. First, I didn't say I hate g35 owners. I said I can't stand g35 drivers. That could mean many things. For example I could drive my friends g35 (never gonna happen) and of course I am not the owner of the car. what I simply meant was that I have met so many ppl with g35s that for some reason think they own the road. again this is what I (keyword being I) have experienced. like I said before, my friend has a 05 g35 coupe (auto) and has yet to beat me. Sometimes I can't stand him cuz he gives me so many excuses. That doesnt mean I hate him. I'm not one to go looking for races but when I get involved in one I take a win and defeat the same way. As for the numbers our cars put down, im not going to stop and say oh lets go on the track and time our cars. if someone challenges me we go and see who wins. it may not be accurate but atleast i get a feel of how i do against them and i would have an idea of how i would do at the track. so not getting too far off topic, let's first understand what someone wrote before we start putting words in other ppl's mouths. also let's not generalize what one person said and think thats what everyone said.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 AM
The Darker the berry....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn type-s09 - you are really making me want to start modding my ride. It's an auto because I gotta drive thru the depths of NYC everyday, but the "butt-dyno" tells me I got a nice little bit of pop from the just the EVO exhaust, so I can imagine what some other mods would do. A bunch of guys at my job are setting up a "race day" at a local track - I'm gonna be a little out of my league since I'd be going against a SRT charger, 07 vette, mustang GT, 04 vette, but there's 1 guy who just got a 6-speed 05 330ci whose really been running his mouth and another with an 05 A4 who both need a$$-whippings real bad. I already smoked the A4 on the highway but he wants more. Plus a couple of other guys have auto G35s so I'll see what I can do. If I get my a$$-kicked, I'm def gonna be looking into some mods. I made the mistake of trying to run with a 335xi the other day (I think I was kinda giddy from installing the EVO exhaust) and he really made me pay, but I deserved it for letting him sucker me in - would take too much mod $$ to keep up with him though.

Keep up the kills and keep the vids comin' - makin' me proud...
Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

i agree, until the last 15 years honda has not been a large auto company..i would say it is the one of the most popular imports out there...go drive right now and count how many honda accords/civics you see..i garuntee it will outnumber any other import you see on the road...
Honda started out making small motors like lawn mowers and such...until the late late 80s they were not respected as a large automobile company...i would say they are one of largest GROWING car manufacturers there is...
Right now, Honda has about 5% of the world market share whereas Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and GM all have 10-15%+ each. It doesn't look significant, but it really is. I don't know about AL, but in KC and all the places I visit, I'd have to say the most prevalent imports I see are Toyota makes. Honda is growing, year by year, but they have no goals to be huge and that's why I like them. Same goes for BMW. They're not out to rule to world because when you do, your quality goes to crap.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
btw: I am on 19x8.5 wheels w/ about -3 degrees camber= terrible settings for traction!
i have my camber kit sitting right here...just have to put it on :/
you have 19" wheels and you are still running 13.9????
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

By the way..type-s09, the new JDM Civic Type R is the best handling FWD car, beating both DC2 and DC5 Integras It's even faster than the NSX Type S Zero on Suzuka!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Banned

He did and he beat it.. twice. and he aint a type s.. lol he is a tl..
Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
^^^ I believe that was mentioned ad nauseum.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
you have 19" wheels and you are still running 13.9????
WTf you have the same wheels that i have!?!?!?! my wheels messed up my mpg and made my car a lot slower. They are too heavy. hmmmmmm whats ur secret? I would never dream of going to the track with these heavy ass pieces of steel lol.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this was before he got his 19's
Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
hates the winter

With 19's? WOW. You should purchase a set of lightweight 17's for track days. That would reduce your time significantly.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:51 PM

i ran the 13.9 when i had my type-s wheels..in those vids of beating the 2 nissan/infiniti i was on my 19s...i still have the type-s wheels but i havnt used em in a while...im gonna get a set of rpf-1s for the track...those should increase my time by atleast 2 tenths and then the nice drag radials on them will do twice that good...im looking for under a 13.5 with the power i have now...hopefully better...with the supercharger i know i can get a 12
Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i ran the 13.9 when i had my type-s wheels..in those vids of beating the 2 nissan/infiniti i was on my 19s...i still have the type-s wheels but i havnt used em in a while...im gonna get a set of rpf-1s for the track...those should increase my time by atleast 2 tenths and then the nice drag radials on them will do twice that good...im looking for under a 13.5 with the power i have now...hopefully better...with the supercharger i know i can get a 12
Thats the rims I want, good choice...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Those rims look good on Evo's!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Those rims look good on Evo's!
and this is relevant how?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

are you saying they dont look good on TL's??
Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
rpf-1s look ugly on TL's IMHO.. but if they are used for track, then i geuss it's alright.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

I just like them cuz they are so lightweight
Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

ok fine...those rims look good on Evo's AND TL's........

It's just that I've seen them on Evo's and they look pretty nice, would love to see them on TL's too.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Banned

im pretty sure theres someone here that has them on their tl right now...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i put down 255whp and 228torque as it sits now..i put down 240 whp and 218 torque when i ran the 13.9.....where do you live?

Is that with stock wheels or the 19s?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Racer

Your vids made me smile.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:06 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice kill in all the races with both the G and Altima. Love how your car sounds.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eoanou
Is that with stock wheels or the 19s?
that would be with the 26.9 lb 19's...looks good! but slows car down
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by spiike
Your vids made me smile.
yes i agree...i listen to them everyday almost and feel proud!...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
hates the winter

Excellent choice. I wanted to get a set of those for my 05 RSX-S, but traded it in instead. lol

They are lightweight, affordable, and very well built. I also think they look pretty damn good for a performance wheel. Who cares how they look if they are are making you faster? Def keep us posted.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro

And slow down buddy No one's hating, THERE'S NO BODY MORE COCKY THEN A NISSAN Z OR G35 COUPE OWNER. Z guys hate hondas, I've heard one z owner on a forum (tsz33.com) refer to acura's as honda's in prom dresses! So yeah, your right G owners don't focus on TL's at all because they believe that TL's aren't competition whatsoever but now that more of a younger crowd are modding TL's, G and Z owners are starting to open their eyes and realize TL's aren't as slow and boring as they once thought.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
hates the winter

Not for nothing my 05 RSX-S with I/H/reflash beat G35/350's stock and with intake.

On an Acura forum you won't get many people praising other cars. Both cars have good and bad. It's just that you can take your boss to a meeting in an Acura TL and let him laugh at the modified 350Z next to you with the rims/wing and exhaust, yet when you drop him off you can go back and smoke that 350. lol

Honda/Acura is a Jeckly/Hyde type of car.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Tee EL

i agree with azn benz...i'll admit that 95% of TLs i see around here are of the older crowd..i think i've seen 2 or 3 others like me with TLs. So of course those Z and G owners will hate on the TLs sayin 'they old people cars blah blah'. they don't know the potential of our cars. i beat my friends white g coupe 3 times in a row...their heavy..
Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aznbenz07
And slow down buddy No one's hating, THERE'S NO BODY MORE COCKY THEN A NISSAN Z OR G35 COUPE OWNER. Z guys hate hondas, I've heard one z owner on a forum (tsz33.com) refer to acura's as honda's in prom dresses! So yeah, your right G owners don't focus on TL's at all because they believe that TL's aren't competition whatsoever but now that more of a younger crowd are modding TL's, G and Z owners are starting to open their eyes and realize TL's aren't as slow and boring as they once thought.
There are douche-bags on every site, driving every sort of car. To stereotype owners is just juvenile. I give every car respect, regardless if it's faster or slower than my car. Now the owner on the other hand, he has to earn that respect.

When I roll up against a TL at the strip, I think to myself how sweet it is to be racing another 4 door. I also think to myself that I've got about a 9 out of 10 shot of beating it if it's an auto and a 7/10 shot if it's a manual. I don't see how that' cocky because my assumption is based on my experience, the reported numbers from this site and other sites/publications, and the fact that most people that show up to the track in a street car don't have a clue about racing.

I'd love to see the 3rd gen TLs get quicker, but the fact is there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket support. It's kind of a dead end.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VtecTL
i i beat my friends white g coupe 3 times in a row...their heavy..
How many times do we have to go over this? You TL-S is heavier than a 03-07 G coupe by about 100lbs.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There are douche-bags on every site, driving every sort of car. To stereotype owners is just juvenile. I give every car respect, regardless if it's faster or slower than my car. Now the owner on the other hand, he has to earn that respect.

When I roll up against a TL at the strip, I think to myself how sweet it is to be racing another 4 door. I also think to myself that I've got about a 9 out of 10 shot of beating it if it's an auto and a 7/10 shot if it's a manual. I don't see how that' cocky because my assumption is based on my experience, the reported numbers from this site and other sites/publications, and the fact that most people that show up to the track in a street car don't have a clue about racing.

I'd love to see the 3rd gen TLs get quicker, but the fact is there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket support. It's kind of a dead end.
You always quote mag times. Your car does 14.3 @ 99 modded.
TL-S 14.1 @ 101 STOCK
TL Aspec 14.3 @ 100 STOCK

Quick Reply: Beat G35 Coupe 6-Speed..07 3.5 Altima 6-speed..vids inside