Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Power

Hey guys, Just had an experience today where I was working outside and used my car's stereo to provide the entertainment. After about 2 hrs. went to start the car but there wasn't enough battey power to start the car. I had to jump start it.

I've had other cars in the past where I would leave the stereo on almost all day and no problem.

I know you guys will think I was blasting the stereo but I wasn't. Vol. wasn't so high.

So just wanted to warn everyone that stereo can drain battery pretty quickly.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sup. this happened on my 03 last summer.....though i had the radio goin for almost 5 hrs....surprised the hell outa me, but it was loud, so.....it was wierd cuz even before i tried starting the car, i was in it and the front BOSE speakers cut out.......then it was only muffled rear speakers and the sub.......i though i fucked the radio up somehow, but then when i just turned the ignition on, everything cut out.....did a full cycle charge....

when i know that i'm gonna be having the radio on for a long time, i hook up my COLEMAN emergency charger to the car (little power supply) that connects to the 12V lighter plug....that way, it doesn't die so fast. -shawn
Old 10-23-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm Baaack!

Something doesn't sound right if you were only on it for 2 hours .. I've done the same for almost 6 w/ no prob ... you might want to have someone check your battery and alternator.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Instructor

He was probably just blasting the stereo.

That explains why he only got two hours from it instead of the usual six.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:30 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I had my battery replaced under the warranty last week.
it seems the battery was not holding enough charge...

the warning signs where all the ABS, warning lights came off after an abrupt stop.
lights stay on for 3 days, then went off, the technician said it was the battery and replaced it under warranty. (no cost to me)

the car is only 18 months old.

I know there is a service bulleting concerning battery problems.
maybe it's too small for this car, or not a good quality.

At least that's easily fix by replacing it with a better one.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:37 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by annaie1
Hey guys, Just had an experience today where I was working outside and used my car's stereo to provide the entertainment. After about 2 hrs. went to start the car but there wasn't enough battey power to start the car. I had to jump start it.

I've had other cars in the past where I would leave the stereo on almost all day and no problem.

I know you guys will think I was blasting the stereo but I wasn't. Vol. wasn't so high.

I have my battery completely dead today . Car was siting in a garage 42 hours without
start engine. RESULT- battery charged and code for radio entered.
I'm very very very unhappy with TL-04. My previus Integra-GSR 95, was really nice car.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Heck, I got you all beat...

Got in my TL started fine, drove down to the gas station (Maybe 1 miles if that)...left the parking lights on, nothing else, filled car with gas and paid...had to push start the car.

I already have an appointment for them to look at it. They said they wanted the car for a day so they could check the charging system as well as the battery. And offered a loaner car NP as needed.

My dealer in Beaverton, Oregon has been great in taking care of any issues.(So far)
Old 10-27-2004, 07:38 AM
5th Gear

I've been having the same problems.Very weak starts if the car has not been driven for about a day,radio code had to be entered.Just took the car to the dealer yesterday and they said the battery was bad or not getting charge and replaced it.My car is about 2 months old.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Who cares

I would take it in and have them replace the battery. I have run the radio all day on many other cars with out any problems. You should be able to liston all day long and still have the car start 8 hours or more.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:29 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by A-TLvic882
I have my battery completely dead today . Car was siting in a garage 42 hours without
I'm very very very unhappy with TL-04. My previus Integra-GSR 95, was really nice car.

BATTERY is bad by service manager and repleced after second time dead.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Drifting

It's just a bad battery, or a weak one, the TL is a great car and I wouldn't get too upset about a simple bad battery. If you're unhappy with the TL, at least get a new battery before you condem the whole car. Acura doesn't make the batteries, and every company that does manufacture batteries has a bad one now and then. Several years ago, I bought a new Dihard battery that was defective. The car isn't to blame.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:36 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't you think sometimes the antitheft gps localisator (Boomerang, intercepter in canada) device tha will help to find if you car is stolen will take a lot of battery power if you let the car on a parking for a long time because it keeps on sending informations ?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:21 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by JetJock
It's just a bad battery, or a weak one, the TL is a great car and I wouldn't get too upset about a simple bad battery. If you're unhappy with the TL, at least get a new battery before you condem the whole car. Acura doesn't make the batteries, and every company that does manufacture batteries has a bad one now and then. Several years ago, I bought a new Dihard battery that was defective. The car isn't to blame.

the TL is a great car and after test-drive 5-6 others I have 04 TL ssm/e 6mt nnav 04-06-04.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

yuppers - battery toast...

I had my TL in for service, yup the battery was worthless...They said that they have had a number of bad batteries from Acura in both the TLs and MDX's.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
Don't you think sometimes the antitheft gps localisator (Boomerang, intercepter in canada) device tha will help to find if you car is stolen will take a lot of battery power if you let the car on a parking for a long time because it keeps on sending informations ?

My TL NON/Navi

And last night I got loner TSX again. Problem is same --- DEAD BATTERY.

P.S. battery two week old.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:22 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by annaie1

Are u runnning an aftermarket sound system such as after mkt amp and subs???
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Banned

SAME THING happenned to me. I drove to fedex to drop off a pckage. Shut the car off went in for 5 minutes and came out and DEAD battery. I left NOTHING on. Had to plead with someone to jump start me because i didn't have cables ( it's a new 4 month old car so why should I need cable right?) Went to the dealer ( rallye acura) and they were fantastic. They replaced the battery that was confirmed a goner and it's been good so far. They did screw up my a-spec install though because they were supposed to give the car an alignment after the install which was included in the price. I asked them specifically if they did the alignment and the service manager said yes BUT there was NO MENTION of it on the paperwork at all. It just said a-spec install. I knew they definitely didn't do it because my steering wheel off center and the car pulling to the right for 2 weeks until I could bring it in again for a new sunvisor that they ordered due to internal rattle. When I told them about the alignment and the very nice service manager immediately put down on the paperwork to do a full 4 wheel alignment. They knew they fucked up and didn't tell me even though I asked several times the first time after I picked up my car from the a-spec install. But in spite of that, they ARE the absolute best dealership on Long island to go to for service and will take care of you . I can't say that for Hillside Acura ( frown) where I bought my car from and originaly went back to them for the sunvisor problem before going to Rallye. You know what they did? Get this: I made an appointment to get the sunvisor replaced and had to wait 2 weeks before it came in. I show up at my appointment and wait there for 2 hours and the guy comes comes out with the paperwork and the key and says you are all set so I take them and go out to my car to leave and get this, the fucking sunvisor they JUST replaced was on BACKWARDS and UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!!! This aboslutely blew my freaking mind! WTF was the tech who installed it smoking? I stormed back in there to tell them off about it on how the hell something like that could happen and they asked the tech to immediately look at it. This young punk comes out all pissed off when he finds out i came back in and the service manager has a little talk with him and finds out that stupid acura sent them the drivrs side visor instead of the passenger side that i was there to have replaced that was ordered 2 weeks prior!!! So the little fuck is either the dumbest person in the world or installed it hoping I would never notice. Do you believe this incompetancy? From an ACURA dealership!!!! They had to order Another visor and it was going to take another 2 weeks to get so I said fuck that i'm leaving and never coming back there again. I went to Rallye instead.. If there was ever a prime example of why you should NEVER bring your car into a dealer for anything else other than warranty work ( unless you could fix it yourself cheaply) take my experience to heart and don;t let anybody touch your baby but you. A friend of mine brought his car into the dealer for an oil change and the stupid bastards forgot to put the oil drain plug in tight and as he was driving home, it came out WITH all the new oil and when he was almost home he heard knockingin his engine!!!!! He had the car towed back and guess what.. his engine was toast and they ended up buyng him a new one. Fucked up huh?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by ed99
Are u runnning an aftermarket sound system such as after mkt amp and subs???

I'm NOT.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
What is the voltage after shutdownk, and a few minutes of playing music, or closing the windows. etc. If it cannot hold 12.6 VDC, the battery is history.

Get the system tested - if it is the battery, continuing to use it puts a severe strain on the alternator, and it will be weakened or even fail. I have seen it many times. Never let your battery die before you replace it (not saying it in your case of course) - replace it 6 months before its estimated due date (if it is a 72 month batt, replace at 66 months).

I keep a "smart" battery tender ont eh S2000 - not only because I drive it infrequently, but because the floating charge mode will actually extend the batt's life.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Some detail to build on the previous post
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/f-s-type-s-license-plate-frames-101650/
Old 11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by Road Rage
What is the voltage after shutdownk, and a few minutes of playing music, or closing the windows. etc. If it cannot hold 12.6 VDC, the battery is history.

Get the system tested - if it is the battery, continuing to use it puts a severe strain on the alternator, and it will be weakened or even fail. I have seen it many times. Never let your battery die before you replace it (not saying it in your case of course) - replace it 6 months before its estimated due date (if it is a 72 month batt, replace at 66 months).

I keep a "smart" battery tender ont eh S2000 - not only because I drive it infrequently, but because the floating charge mode will actually extend the batt's life.

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Some detail to build on the previous post
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101650

are you sure for car $30K+ ,and 9 month old, and every day driving, I have to do that?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

My TL NON/Navi

And last night I got loner TSX again. Problem is same --- DEAD BATTERY.

P.S. battery two week old.

UPDATE

dealer replaced battery. It's looks different, but Acura brand. No other problems
finded except ?bad? battery two weeks old.

question to TLer with ?bad? battery. What dealer find on yours TL?

I did't have my TL 10 days.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:15 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

You know how the OEM battery has a little green "eye?" Should that green eye be visible in the dark, or should it only be visible if you flash a light around that area? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to read that indicator, but I've never seen it as green unless I shine a light in that area and see the green eye nestled deep in the clear plastic.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:39 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

it should be visible only if you flash a light around that area, or a day light. You will see the green eye nestled deep in the clear plastic.

But my 2 new betterys with out green eye.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:49 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

So if you flash a light and there's no green at all, then you know you're not holding the charge, right? Mine will show green only if there's light in that area.

My battery's sides have shown some sign of some acid leakage... not sure if I should do something about it or not.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:53 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by Lore
So if you flash a light and there's no green at all, then you know you're not holding the charge, right? Mine will show green only if there's light in that area.

My battery's sides have shown some sign of some acid leakage... not sure if I should do something about it or not.

But my 2 new betterys with out green eye.
Dealer issue acid leakage
Old 11-27-2004, 12:10 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Absolutely do something about it, and quickly. Battery acid is corrosive, and there's alot of stuff that could be damaged in the area where the battery is located
Old 11-27-2004, 12:16 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

It was only the top edge that had a little bit of dried acid, I think... I wiped it off and will keep an eye on it to see if it continues to leak.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:18 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

You don't have to play arrownd $30K+ car. It's Dealer issue.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:31 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I'll bring it up tomorrow when I take it in for them to work on the tires... thanks for the suggestions, folks.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:23 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by Lore
I'll bring it up tomorrow when I take it in for them to work on the tires... thanks for the suggestions, folks.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:31 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Well, I had it replaced without a hitch. Service Advisor didn't even blink when I explained the leaks to him. Now I have a 100 month battery.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:20 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme