Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery booster cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Battery booster cable

Last night my car battery just died with 27,000... so i decided to buy a jump cable...
Which brand should i buy for my TL 08 with nav?
What it an AWG? and the number before the AWG? (ex: 8 AWG or 2 AWG?)
and what is an AMP?
which one would you recommend?

thank

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 07-13-2010 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Fixed
Old 07-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
AWG stands for American Wire Gauge. The lower the number the thicker the wire. So the 2AWG would be better than the thinner 8AWG. AMP stands for ampere. The ampere is a measure of the amount of electric charge passing a point per unit time. Around 6.241 × 1018 electrons passing a given point each second constitutes one ampere. The more ampere or amps the stronger or better for jump starting your battery.

Hope this helps.......
Old 07-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Buy a battery jump starter, a little more expensive, but you can carry it with you at all times and won't need another vehicle. In fact, I have one in each car plus the daughter's, never needed to use it for any of our cars, but have helped numerous others.

Just an example:

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 07-13-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 PM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, do the most economical thing and pick up a pair of jumper cables from autozone. Not the cheap one, but the premium grade, something in the middle price range. Then pick up a Duralast Gold battery ($120 including tax). My battery died a couple weeks ago. I'm extremely happy with my Duralast Gold battery.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Thank everyone for the comment!
just to let you know i took the car to my dealer and they replace the battery for free!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cucaracha
Thank everyone for the comment!
just to let you know i took the car to my dealer and they replace the battery for free!
That's the best deal of all.......
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
It should be mentioned that it is not advisable to use jumper cables with modern cars. This includes both you being jumped and you jumping someone else (giving or receiving).

This is because of the sophisticated electronic nature of modern vehicles. While jumping a car, there is a lot of "dirty" electricity being transmitted between both the giver and the receiver vehicles. By the way, dirty electricity mean electricity which contains unhealthy voltage spikes and unhealthy wave patterns.

I will flat-out refuse to jump someone if they ask if I will jump them. Friend or family. However, I will offer to drive them to Walmart or auto-parts store to purchase a replacement for their car.

And when I have one of my batteries die, I do the same to myself. On several occasions, the wife had her battery to die while she was out shopping. I get the phone call. After confirming that it is a dead battery, I do not jump it. Instead, I go purchase a new battery and install it there in the parking lot to get her car running again.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Moderator

How about taking the low battery and putting it on a slow charger? May be some life left.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
How about taking the low battery and putting it on a slow charger? May be some life left.
If you are at home when the dead battery is discovered, a battery charger is a great idea. I would remove the ground cable from the battery first before attaching the charger. Either a normal charge rate or slow charge rate would be good.

The idea of "may be some life left" does not apply to car batteries. If the battery dying cannot be attributed to you leaving something turned on like the lights or because of a bad alternator, then the battery is not suitable for service. The battery will most likely take a charge but the bad battery is very much unreliable and it *will* leave you stranded again in the very near future at the most inopportune time.

The following should be mentioned in this thread too. A bad battery or a dead battery is at high risk of exploding. Yes, I mean exploding as in "Booom", that will shake the whole car. Has happened to me on several occasions during my life.

A battery can explode when you put it under load while trying to crank the engine and/or while connecting/disconnecting the cables or anything that creates an arc, such as attaching jumper cables.

The bad battery or dead battery is filled with explosive hydrogen. An internal short or messing with the cable connections will produce an arc that can ignite this hydrogen. The battery violently explodes. The explosion will send hot sulfuric acid violently flying in all directions for many feet. When the hot sulfuric acid flies into your eyes, it will result in instant and permanent eye damage such as blindness. You will not have time to flush your eyes with water. The damage is instant. This is concentrated sulfuric acid, not a dilute solution. Please wear eye protection when handling car batteries and making cable connections.

Interesting story - Just recently, I purchased a new battery for our family car. I took the old battery into the store as a core exchange. I carry the old battery to the counter wearing eye protection and gloves. Even when I place the new battery on the counter to check out, I am stilling wearing my eye protection. The final straw was when I told my wife (not wearing eye protection) to face the other direction while I pick-up the battery. After seeing that, the clerk behind the counter had to ask "Is something wrong????" I quickly explained how I don't trust any car battery, old or new, because the battery can explode sending blinding acid in all directions. He took me seriously and seemed concerned/shocked after I told him.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 07-15-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Good to know. You can't be TOO safe. Thanks........
Old 07-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
can't be TOO safe.
Well....... Ever see the tv show called "Monk". He was too safe "tissue, tissue"
Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Well....... Ever see the tv show called "Monk". He was too safe "tissue, tissue"
OH YEAAAAAA!!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
It should be mentioned that it is not advisable to use jumper cables with modern cars. This includes both you being jumped and you jumping someone else (giving or receiving).

This is because of the sophisticated electronic nature of modern vehicles. While jumping a car, there is a lot of "dirty" electricity being transmitted between both the giver and the receiver vehicles. By the way, dirty electricity mean electricity which contains unhealthy voltage spikes and unhealthy wave patterns.

I will flat-out refuse to jump someone if they ask if I will jump them. Friend or family. However, I will offer to drive them to Walmart or auto-parts store to purchase a replacement for their car. No offense but it seems like a crock to me.

And when I have one of my batteries die, I do the same to myself. On several occasions, the wife had her battery to die while she was out shopping. I get the phone call. After confirming that it is a dead battery, I do not jump it. Instead, I go purchase a new battery and install it there in the parking lot to get her car running again.
I would love to see the evidence on this. This sounds like a urban legend. I have had my car jumped and jumped a few other cars with mine. No harm no foul!

Last edited by JackSampson; 07-15-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: just because
Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_bat...ding_batteries