3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base vs Type S

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
I bought mine because of the whole package. The differences in the body, the exhaust, more power, the interior, the wheels, the exclusivity of having one versus all of the regular TL's out there. To me it was worth it. I didn't plan and I still don't on modding it at all. If there's 6MT Base TL's out there that can beat me I honestly couldn't care less, I didn't buy this car to try to be the fastest around.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
I bought mine because of the whole package. The differences in the body, the exhaust, more power, the interior, the wheels, the exclusivity of having one versus all of the regular TL's out there. To me it was worth it. I didn't plan and I still don't on modding it at all. If there's 6MT Base TL's out there that can beat me I honestly couldn't care less, I didn't buy this car to try to be the fastest around.

I could not agree more.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RJNN TL
A car that can beat 90% of other vehicles on the road is fast buddy. Especially when it can pull almost a 13.9 in the 1/4 stock. So fast it is. It can keep up with older styled M3's. And well... the M3 is considered fast, why not let the TL-S get some credit. It aint the fastest thing around by all means, but I can keep up with these so called... really really fast cars.
Alright, buddy. Whatever you say.

You stick with your "fast" TL and I'll get my fast fix elsewhere.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Pro

I was going to write a post in which I quoted a bunch of people and offered my opinion, but on the 10th quote I changed my mind...

It's easier to say I pretty much agree with every post that IHC wrote... I feel like we're on the same page.

Also, my comparisons in price and car have pretty much been with an 04/05/06 and a Type-S... not the 07/08 base and Type-S. If I had to choose between an 07/08 and Type-S it would be a tougher decision because the price difference is so minimal. But there are too many low mileage and well maintained 04/05/06's on the road for a great price for me to consider a Type-S.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
e92 335i

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
In the history of this forum---no one has ever regretted getting a Type S, and no one has ever regretted getting a Six Speed Manual. Other way around ? Hell yes.
bingo
Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer
Let's break it down in regards to this "$7k" difference shall we?

**Type S - 3.5 vs 3.2**

Are you going to do a motor swap? How much would parts and labor set you back? Several grand?

**Type S - standard in dash Navi GPS**

Non type S Navi GPS option is about $500-750 more. You can buy a gps at the store for $200 but that's not in-dash and the screens are much smaller.

**Type S - sport tuned suspension**

Aspec suspension and coilovers are available at $1k or so.

**Type S rims vs non type s rims**

This is just matter of choice. Some people hate them some people like them. let's say you wanted to change the rims on your non type S but that would set you back at least 2k for okay wheels and tires. 3-4k for jdm stuff.

**Type S - quad exhaust**

ATLP is available and that's at least $1k

**Type S - more HP**

What mods are you going to do to match or exceed the HP of the type S? And how much would this cost?

**Type S bumpers, headlights, taillights logo + stitching, steering wheel, and whatever else I forgot...**

What about all of these? Don't want it? Don't need it? That's ok too.

With all of these things I could tell you in my opinion that the difference in $7k or so is definitely worth it to get the Type S.

I totally agree with you. i own a base model and haven't gotten a chance to drive the type-s yet. but if i can afford and find a good type-s, i will definitely go for the type s too
Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SilverJ
In the history of this forum---no one has ever regretted getting a Type S, and no one has ever regretted getting a Six Speed Manual. Other way around ? Hell yes.

Haha. All seeing, all knowing...

Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,595 Likes on 1,721 Posts
I did some searching and found an 04 TL supercharged with RJ body kit for $16k and 71k miles, also found an 08 type s only with intake for $22k and 52k miles. Which sounds like a better deal?.

Did find a completely stock 04 TL for $14500 with 61k miles but its taking the back seat for now.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Type s bc it is far less molested n run to the ground!! Also I like starting my own projects not buying some one else's jus my opinion good luck!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3,595 Likes on 1,721 Posts
Originally Posted by geezr98
Type s bc it is far less molested n run to the ground!! Also I like starting my own projects not buying some one else's jus my opinion good luck!!!!
I like starting my own projects too but when you save ALOT of $$$ sometimes its better to by someone elses. Were taking $5-6k worth of mods in the supercharged TL.

Your right about the last owner maybe beating on the car though
Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Supercharged car. being abusive could be said about the type-s car as well. we dont know. Just take the care to be looked at no matter what you buy but for me there is a lot more power per your money spent on the s/c'g car. S/c's are very reliable units. I cant see what could be abused otherwise that would not non a agressively driven stock TL.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:43 AM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance - Type S wins hands down
Looks - base and base A-spec win every time, although I generally don't like spoilers and tucked-on body kits

To me the S' design looks a little busy, garish even. Like it's trying too hard to impress and be different from the base. I'm just not feeling some exterior and interior details Acura chose for the car. As a result, the base seems to be aging better due it's cleaner looks.

Last edited by ACTROS; 06-11-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by ACTROS
Looks - base and base A-spec win every time
lol you make it sound like your opinion is some sort of official answer on the cars exterior appearance. I like all TL's myself, but if I see a Type S driving by I always gawk and stare. When I base goes by I will take a quick look but nothing more...especially because a base goes by every 15 seconds. I personally love the looks of the S.

James
Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^ yep!! Base models r on every corner. Yea TL-S badge is bla nothing a lil debadging can't fix!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
This is like comparing a GS-R integra to a type R. There are just some things that can't be swapped to have a type R.
You either have an S or you don't.

I wanted a 6 mt and a newer model and also an S.
I found my TL-S with 6mt and 25k miles for $25k and couldn't be happier. And still have partial warranty not that it mattered to me.

I bought exactly what I wanted except for a WDP with black interior but those are even harder to find low mileage. But I average 5k miles a year on personal vehicles. Love a company truck.

Buy what U can afford but don't count out the S in your search. You might come across one and you WILL be happier if you go that route.

Good luck to you and your decision either way.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
lol you make it sound like your opinion is some sort of official answer on the cars exterior appearance. I like all TL's myself, but if I see a Type S driving by I always gawk and stare. When I base goes by I will take a quick look but nothing more...especially because a base goes by every 15 seconds. I personally love the looks of the S.

James
I think he was saying base with the aspec kit looks better. I agree. I am perfectly happy with the performance/mileage of my base. I am even happier with the aspec look and only the TypeS mods that I like.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too me its not worth the extra money for small changes.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

James
I also stare when I see a Type S. There are about 20 base TLs at least to every one Type S. I see more stock looking Type-S TLs also which is a good thing IMO. I'm starting to see way too many base TL's with uglier than factory cheap wheels and nasty drops with the ass dragging and front in the air.

TL-S is usually driven by people in our age group or older and every one I've seen so far has been male. Seems like lots of old people and overweight women (no offense) in the base TLs lately. The demographic has no doubt changed over the years. I bought mine new and most of the original owner TLs were mid 30s or older but many of the ones I came into contact with were at least enthusiasts. Now that's not the case.

I guess I could have saved all of this writing and said that the Type-S is more likely owned by an enthusiast, probably with a little more money to spend, and will probably be treated better too.

Honestly stock to stock I don't know which one looks better. I don't care for the front of the a-spec base models and I think the rear of the Type-S looks very nice. It's the rims that get me but IMO they're not bad enough to replace if I owned one. Ugly, no, but not the best choice. If only they had done something similar to the the base 5/10 spoked rims but more aggressive looking. I like the less busy looks of the base, the '04-'06 in particular but I'll admit they will probably look outdated first.

I'm still more than satisfied with my base but I'm certainly glad it's slightly lowered with wider tires and the big brakes to at least somewhat offset it from the Walmart rim and the fat lady crowd.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I myself maybe upgrading to a Type S soon... I got a letter from the Acura Dealership I bought my 06 TL from. The letter said I was qualify for an upgrade to an 08 without any down payments and keeping the payments the same or less. I am looking at the 07 TL Type S from the same dealership with alot less miles on that car vs mine. Type S has 44000 miles and mine has like 76250. If everything is right then it will be worth the buy or else I will walk cause I like my 06 just fine.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by mb1976
I myself maybe upgrading to a Type S soon... I got a letter from the Acura Dealership I bought my 06 TL from. The letter said I was qualify for an upgrade to an 08 without any down payments and keeping the payments the same or less. I am looking at the 07 TL Type S from the same dealership with alot less miles on that car vs mine. Type S has 44000 miles and mine has like 76250. If everything is right then it will be worth the buy or else I will walk cause I like my 06 just fine.
That sounds good and all and a nice offer, but what they did not tell you is its going to be a looooong ass loan to be able to get the payments the same or lower. Im not saying its a horrible thing if you dont mind it, but just be prepared to be paying that same or lower amount for a long time. Dealerships are a business and will usually try to work anything out to get your business.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Exactly. They send those to all their customers, they didn't pick you out and make you a special offer.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Racer

Oh I know.. That's why I said if the deal is right meaning that if I have 3 years left on my car and I get this car and have to pay 4 years on it then yeah I will buy but anything more then that forget it...
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Racer

Well guys, I got a call today from the dealership and they told me my payment will be $145.00 more for 60 months! I was like no way not happening and that being said they try to offer a 72 months deal which would've been like $45 more then what I am paying now. Don't think so
Old 06-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I also stare when I see a Type S. There are about 20 base TLs at least to every one Type S. I see more stock looking Type-S TLs also which is a good thing IMO. I'm starting to see way too many base TL's with uglier than factory cheap wheels and nasty drops with the ass dragging and front in the air.

TL-S is usually driven by people in our age group or older and every one I've seen so far has been male. Seems like lots of old people and overweight women (no offense) in the base TLs lately. The demographic has no doubt changed over the years. I bought mine new and most of the original owner TLs were mid 30s or older but many of the ones I came into contact with were at least enthusiasts. Now that's not the case.

I guess I could have saved all of this writing and said that the Type-S is more likely owned by an enthusiast, probably with a little more money to spend, and will probably be treated better too.

Honestly stock to stock I don't know which one looks better. I don't care for the front of the a-spec base models and I think the rear of the Type-S looks very nice. It's the rims that get me but IMO they're not bad enough to replace if I owned one. Ugly, no, but not the best choice. If only they had done something similar to the the base 5/10 spoked rims but more aggressive looking. I like the less busy looks of the base, the '04-'06 in particular but I'll admit they will probably look outdated first.

I'm still more than satisfied with my base but I'm certainly glad it's slightly lowered with wider tires and the big brakes to at least somewhat offset it from the Walmart rim and the fat lady crowd.
Yeah I'm noticing a huge influx in 3G TL's with low budget wheels lately as well.

Originally Posted by mb1976
Those letters crack me up. I still get them for my '99 Dodge Ram which I sold in '04. According to them," MANY, MANY people have been looking for under powered, shit box 12 yo trucks that can't get out of their own way and are prone to transmission and suspension problems, all while getting atrocious gas mileage at $4/gallon, so we're prepared to pay you over NADA book value for aforementioned vehicle! But don't wait, because this offer is only valid for the next 48 hours!"

It's almost as amusing as the places that cater to people with poor credit, when they have their annual "super sale" (with free hot dogs and soda while you shop), during which no offer is refused, all applications are accepted (not necessarily approved) and all trades are paid off no matter what you owe!!! And all approved deals come with a "free" 20 inch lcd television!! All the stupid people with tanked credit run right down there and get bent over, ending up with a seven year note on $25,000, at 24.9% for a four year old Grand Prix, but it's all good, because now they don't have to buy a new tv.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its funny seeing this post now. I have an 05' TL and didn't want to spend the extra money for the Type-S, but everyone time I see one, I say. Uh - Uh- Uh, thats Hot.

So, now, I'm modying my 05' TL to look like a Type-S. Funny!
The following users liked this post:
Moe5193 (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
The TL is just a damn good looking car. I really haven't seen a recent/newer model car (in our price range) and said "Damn, that's a nice car".
Old 09-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
If you can swing the cost, get the TL-S.
If you want to mod it, use the difference to mod it.
A base 6MT is still pretty darn good.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
type-s goes down as a regular tl so its cheap(er) on the insurance and as my signiture suggests TYPE-S all the way. my friend has a base and he more modded than me but even so he cant beat me on a highway pull
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I also considered the resale value a few years down the road. Exclusivity always adds to value. When I bought my first car I could've bought a Mustang GT, but I decided to go with a Mach 1 for a couple grand more and it was always worth 3-4k more than a GT. Same concept with a type-s.