Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bald Tires At 9k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bald Tires At 9k Miles

My Back Tires Are Bald At 9k Miles The Only Thing I Can Think Of Is I Have Drop Springs Instaled But I Got An Even Wear Across The Tire So Its Not A Camber Problom. Has Anybody Else Had A Problom Like This?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Very few of early build 04TLs (less than 5) have similar issues before. the exact factors or results. Based on my understanding, no ones continue to post their information after complaining of their wearing tires.

Most of them had no drops or MODs, but carried the heavy loads for the long trip.

Move to tire subF after the weekend.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Cruisin'

I bought mine the first week it came out so it would be a early model
Old 08-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76995

bluenoser is one of the early build 04TLer and posted the earlist report about this issue.

Similar one, but this is HPT case by jime... http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84273
Old 08-28-2004, 09:15 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fureym
My Back Tires Are Bald At 9k Miles The Only Thing I Can Think Of Is I Have Drop Springs Instaled But I Got An Even Wear Across The Tire So Its Not A Camber Problom. Has Anybody Else Had A Problom Like This?
The drop springs obviously place the rear suspension up into the wheel well just like having a loaded trunk/passengers. Something is out of wack with the geometry of the rear suspension that is causing either a toe-in or toe-out when "lowered". This is causing your accelerated "even" wear. Acura will probably help you very little due to having aftermarket springs,,, but a good 4-wheel alignment should take care of it.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Instructor

I had the same problem. But i didn't have the EL's. For some reason I was the odd guy who had the RE's. I remember the back two tires wore extremely fast. So i brought it to a local Bridgestone dealer and asked them if it was a defect in the tire. They looked at it and said it wasn't because it looks like it just wore down really fast. I own a local tire shop in Sacramento so i knew a great deal about tires. The salesman told me that the bridgestone didn't have a treadwear warranty so the only thing they could've done was give me the same tires but for their price (wholesale). I told them forget it because i wanted some differen't tires. I ended up paying 350 for my yok's avs es100. i love them 10000 times more than those nasty bridgestones. I currently have 6k's on the tires, and not even half of the treadwear has gone. If you look up those bridgestone tires, they have a ridiculous treadwear of 140. Average treadwear for the 245/45/R17 should be 240+. So your not the only one that had that problem
Old 08-31-2004, 09:42 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whiteTL
I had the same problem. But i didn't have the EL's. For some reason I was the odd guy who had the RE's. I remember the back two tires wore extremely fast. So i brought it to a local Bridgestone dealer and asked them if it was a defect in the tire. They looked at it and said it wasn't because it looks like it just wore down really fast. I own a local tire shop in Sacramento so i knew a great deal about tires. The salesman told me that the bridgestone didn't have a treadwear warranty so the only thing they could've done was give me the same tires but for their price (wholesale). I told them forget it because i wanted some differen't tires. I ended up paying 350 for my yok's avs es100. i love them 10000 times more than those nasty bridgestones. I currently have 6k's on the tires, and not even half of the treadwear has gone. If you look up those bridgestone tires, they have a ridiculous treadwear of 140. Average treadwear for the 245/45/R17 should be 240+. So your not the only one that had that problem
It really has nothing to do with the tires....... Even if the tires had a treadwear of 10 the fronts would still be bald twice as fast as the rears. It's a rear alignment issue when the rear suspension is compressed. I'm sure this issue would be more widespread if the majority of folks drove around with 2 adults in the back and a semi-loaded trunk...... I have 9+K miles on my original EL-42s, rotated twice, and you can't tell the difference between front and back. And, they have worn "maybe" 2/32nds of an inch. But then again, the most weight I have hauled is my two young children....

Have someone reputable check the alignment. I believe one of the previous individuals said it took his dealer several months to get the "right" alignment specks for the 04TL....