3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Customer Service Precision Acura (NJ)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Customer Service Precision Acura (NJ)

This thread involves Precision Acura of Princeton, NJ.

Purchased a CPO '04 TL last Thursday with the understanding that I could use a personal check with the stipulation that we would verify my finds via phone to my bank. This understanding was agreed on the day before (Wed).

When we did the final transaction, they outright said they couldn't do that. Their salesman was wrong in doing that. What really pissed me off was how the sales manager got involved and had the nerve to not accept any responsibility for this misinformation, instead making his junior salesman a scapegoat.

I then ordered a certified check instead from my bank. I told the sales manager it'd be delivered to my house on Monday (today). He then had the balls to tell me that he couldn't honor that deal because he needed the check sent to the dealer's address. As if he didn't trust me enough to bring a check in person.

I told the dealer that I was "good for my money". I assured him of my legitimacy in possessing the necessary funds. I'm a 25 year old professional worker-- Currently just returned from my second tour in Iraq as an officer in the United States Marine Corps. The sales manager more or less insulted my intelligence by explaining to me that my occupation and background didn't matter to the sales process.

He then asked me to sign a "letter of understanding", where I "promised" to bring in the certified check on Monday or else I'd have to return the car. It was a hastily made letter that I found inappropriate.

Princeton Acura's procedures for payment WERE NOT made clear. Furthermore even if I had the certified funds on hand, Princeton Acura didn't even have the ability to furnish a properly notorized title until Monday (5 days after the transaction).

SO MUCH FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE
Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience dude. I dont understand why they wouldnt accept a check or even a certified check that you bring in...It's just stupid. Hopefully the joys of your TL will put them quickly in your rearview. Best of luck!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:28 AM
DuDeChEwY

sorry to hear that....enjoy the tl......post some pix of the car.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Racer

Sorry to hear that Devil-Dog…….Semper Fi brother!
I had a similar experience with Precision Acura last year when I was in the shopping process for my Acura TL, I gave them a check to make sure the car I picked didn’t get sold to someone until I got the loan approval from my bank, they promised me they weren’t going to do anything with the check….it was a sign of good faith that I was buying the car from them….. when I went there the next day they had cashed the check…..I exploded on them….Long story short, I got my money back and bought the TL from Open Road Acura on 18……
Old 05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Congratulations on returning safely. I am an Army Officer about to leave for Iraq 9 June for my third tour.

I believe the second they began to qestion your integrity you should have walked. As a business, they are in it to make money. The loss of a sale will assist with an attitude adjustment. Hoah!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought my car at Acura of Ocean, but go to Precision for service. I hope they never try to pull any crap on me. Haven't had a problem yet in 2 years though. Come to think of it....my 40k service is coming up
Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome home, Sir.

I had a bad experience with them when i was shopping around back in 04. I also had this weird feeling when walking in there in the first place.

If you didn't get the car yet, I'd try out Acura of Ocean. Good people/professional and pretty good customer service.

I haven't had a problem when it came to warranty issues or scheduled maintenence work.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Appreciate the feedback everyone. In the end, I ended up getting the car. For the price and the service performed on the vehicle, that part was actually good. It was just the sales department and their ineptitude that I did not particularly enjoy. At the very least, whenever a prospective TL buyer searches this site for dealers, he will see the negative feedback on Precision Acura. There will definately be some pictures posted soon...
Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Advanced

Dealing with Ferengi

Originally Posted by chindv
Appreciate the feedback everyone. In the end, I ended up getting the car. For the price and the service performed on the vehicle, that part was actually good. It was just the sales department and their ineptitude that I did not particularly enjoy. At the very least, whenever a prospective TL buyer searches this site for dealers, he will see the negative feedback on Precision Acura. There will definately be some pictures posted soon...
If you really won't to get the word out on the Ferengi,

I've placed a couple of links below.

www.dealerrater.com/
www.dealershipratings.com/
www.mydealerreport.com/index.php
Old 05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Welcome home man!
I bought an 04 the day before you did. Good Luck with yours.
I don't konw how close you are but Ramsey Acura was just very nice to me, allowing me to fax proof of ownership as the only requirement to give me the Stereo Code.
By comparison, the closest Acura dealer to me, Northeast Acura in Upstate NY, said I had to bring the car in and it would be about $100.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Instructor

I will be the devil's advocate here. I wouldn't sell a car to someone without the money in hand either. Unless I have done business with them before or they are clearly well off. Being 25 (I am too) they are probably reluctant to allow the car to drive off without cash in hand. The salesman probably assumed this was fine as he has probably done it before.

I financed my car through my credit union and the dealer offered to let me take the car when I signed the buyer's agreement. I told them I would rather wait. I then drove to the credit union with the purchase agreement and they cut me the promissory note to give to Acura. Once I handed over the note to finance manager then I took the keys.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, welcome home! And thanks for defending my freedom and the ability to live in this wonderful country.

Regarding the checks, I would never have expected them to take a personal check, even with verifying the funds. A dishonest person could just drive over to his bank and withdrawl the funds before they cash the check. They salesperson was stupid for saying that and I'm sure he's gotten a ration of sh-t from his boss.

A cashiers check is supposed to be "good as cash", but banks (not the dealership) frequently put holds on these as well. The fact that he let you go with the car before he had the cashiers check in hand is beyond what most would do. I wouldn't worry about the paper you had to sign, it means nothing legally. It was just his way of saying, don't slack off and bring the check in later in the week, get it here ASAP.

Best way to pay is with a CC, but, you've got to have a high limit!

Enjoy your TL, I just got my first (TL, that is, I've owned 10 other Honda/Acura's), an '04, about 2 weeks ago.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience with Precision Acura is

for Service

for Sales.

So, when I was purchasing a new 2007 TL-S, I went with a different dealer. But have to say their service (since 2003) has been great.