3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back into an '08 Type S after a few yrs. - couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:13 AM
3rd Gear

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Back into an '08 Type S after a few yrs. - couple questions...

Greetings all...

Lurker here. I just got back into an '08 Type S. A few years ago I bought one, since my wife & I had such good luck with her '02 Type S (which we still have). We traded it in for an SUV, but I always missed it. I started looking around for one again recently, and managed to find a low mileage one in SoCal with a 6-speed. Flew out there last week and drove it 2000 miles home to Chicagoland. It held up well even in the crappy Colorado weather, and 75 degree temperature change en route! The clutch is more forgiving than I thought it would be, and it's just a great car overall.

Anyway, since I've been out of the 3rd Gen game for about 4 yrs. now, I have a couple questions:

1) Are there reputable companies out there that offer a warranty of some sort? I'm sure I'm well outside of any sort of Honda warranty, even though there's only 31k miles on it.

2) Are there rubber OEM floor mats available for the TL? I've had good luck with Weathertech on my other vehicles, but I was thinking about going the OEM route for now. Just curious.

3) The stealership put new Goodyears on it. They seem OK, but are there other particular brands of tire that have served you well? I may get a second set of tires and rims for the winter, but not now.

Thanks...
Steve-o
Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
OEM Acura all weather floor matts....

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

Congrats on the 6MT with Low mileage!

I have these OEM floor mats, and am very happy with them.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
ive never heard of a "reputable" after market warranty company.
you'll have to read the small fine print in their contracts to see if you're getting the short end of the stick...

there are all sorts of tires.
but there are no "all around" tires.
there will ALWAYS be a trade off.

what are you looking for in a tire?

I only run summer tires; because I live in Texas and I dont mind replacing the tire every year. traction is my Number 1 priority. I dont care about road noise or longevity
so, I buy expensive summer tires.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!!!! Man, im all about flying out to buy a car and drive it home, but California to Chicago?? haha thats nuts! I usually will go as far as whatever I can drive back in one day. For example I bought an 08 Type S from a guy in PHL, and another one in ATL...Both trips I was able to be back home near Chicago the same day.
I bet it was a fun trip though!

As for the mats, I currently have the OEM all weather mats in my Type S, but in my Grand Cherokee and my wifes new Highlander we have Weathertechs. My Type S doesn't even see rain so they are fine, but the Weathertechs are MUCH better as far as coverage and protection. When I have driven one of my Type S's through winter the OEM ones did let some water and salt stuff drip over onto the carpet. With the Weathertechs there is no chance for anything to get out of those. The Weathertech store and factory are also local to me here so I have gone to the store and they have some cool stuff in there.
From personal experience I say without a doubt go with the Weathertechs. Hands down better for Chicago winters. And they look good too just leave them in year round and easy to pull out and clean.

I have had experience with OEM Michelin and Bridgestones on my Type S's. The Michelins did good all year round, the Bridgestones on my current Type S were the HPT summer tires so they would only be good in summer conditions. Those tires were 7 years old so I bought new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's. Great tires in wet and dry conditions, but anything slippery and I would not recommend them. I have also had the Continental DWS tires and those are pretty good tires year round. They seem a little floaty with a big mushy sidewall, but I heard they improved upon that and now offer a newer tire that replaced the DWS's.

As far as warranty, I have not personally had anything but the OEM bumper to bumper which is obviously expired. Knock on wood but these have been extremely reliable cars.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
It appears that two of the questions have been answered already....for a 3rd party company, we had great luck with Olympicare on our last vehicle. The price wasn't horrible and they covered every claim that we had with no issues at all from our local Chevy dealer. I am not sure if you can purchase coverage from them directly or not. I know we are looking to price a new policy out from them to cover my wife's new vehicle eventually.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 90 Posts
My 04 came with OEM weather mats. They're pretty freakin heavy and the factory mats underneath are literally brand new.

Definitely a good investment if you have kids (and snow/ice weather). Someone here posted an OEM trunk mat and its nice, it's not nearly as thick as the floor mats

Good luck with the S!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Hey, hey, hey, crappy Colorado weather...dude, you're from Chicago. We have 10 days of crappy weather a year. OK...

Justin is correct about a reputable after market warranty...if you do some research you will find that they are one of the biggest ripoffs a person can pay for. You have a very reliable car that has had very few issues with it's power train especially with an 08. The things you would need to fix will be maintenance...clutch, brakes, etc and wouldn't be covered by a normal after market warranty. Save the premiums you would pay, put em in the bank and if something comes up you'll have the cash to pay for it.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
The OEM rubber mats are great.

I've got Continental DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) all season tires on my Type S and love them.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^hi steven bell!
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Like I said tho the oem all weather mats will let stuff drip over onto your carpet. If you live in a place where you get into your car with slush and junk on your shoes the carpets will eventually get it. They are decent, but excessively thick and heavy and don't have much of a lip on the outer edges to keep stuff in. Weathertechs are light and thin and easy to remove and clean.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 PM
3rd Gear

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
Hey, hey, hey, crappy Colorado weather...dude, you're from Chicago. We have 10 days of crappy weather a year. OK...

Justin is correct about a reputable after market warranty...if you do some research you will find that they are one of the biggest ripoffs a person can pay for. You have a very reliable car that has had very few issues with it's power train especially with an 08. The things you would need to fix will be maintenance...clutch, brakes, etc and wouldn't be covered by a normal after market warranty. Save the premiums you would pay, put em in the bank and if something comes up you'll have the cash to pay for it.

As for the weather, this was last week Thursday. Fog west of Denver on I-70 (fog in 27 degree weather? What the...?) ...which changed to sleet...then to freezing rain...then to white-out conditions on I-76 on my way to Ft. Morgan. My timing couldn't have been worse. The dealership didn't replace the crappy wipers, and the previous owner put water in the windshield washer fluid reservoir...which froze. Not a fun drive.

As for the warranty, duly noted.

Thanks for the recommendations, gentlemen. Looks like I have some decisions to make. I should probably pace myself though.

Cheers...
Old 01-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve-02TL
As for the weather, this was last week Thursday. Fog west of Denver on I-70 (fog in 27 degree weather? What the...?) ...which changed to sleet...then to freezing rain...then to white-out conditions on I-76 on my way to Ft. Morgan. My timing couldn't have been worse. The dealership didn't replace the crappy wipers, and the previous owner put water in the windshield washer fluid reservoir...which froze. Not a fun drive.

As for the warranty, duly noted.

Thanks for the recommendations, gentlemen. Looks like I have some decisions to make. I should probably pace myself though.

Cheers...
I know...we had crappy weather for a few days...that was typed tongue in cheek so to speak...come back in September...no where better in September...good luck with the car.