Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-B Maintenance Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-B Maintenance Alternatives

My car is up for B1 (20K). I've done all scheduled at the dealer thus far, and last time I was there decided I wasn't going to pay $100 for an oil change anymore. But I'm also not going to do it myself.

I see that most here agree that it's not worth it to go through the dealer. Any many change their own oil. What about those who don't want to do either -- where do you have it done? Some shop that knows Acuras? Jiffy lube or equivalent? Why shouldn't I just get it done for $20 at quickie-lube?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by drjoe
Jiffy lube or equivalent? Why shouldn't I just get it done for $20 at quickie-lube?
What ever you do, please don't go to a quickie lube. Quickie lube places use fram oil filters, or whatever rebadged filters their house brand is. They also don't care about your car. They destroyed my brother's subaru because subies have tranny filters that look like oil filters...

If I were you, and you didn't want to DIY, I'd just take your car to a Honda dealer, and just get the $19.95 oil change, or whatever they charge. At least Honda will stand by their work... Quickie lube places will deny any responsibily when (notice I said when, not if) they screw up.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
^

My Integra was taken to a Jiffy Lube prior to a 4 hour road trip... (last minute oil change) And they left the oil cap off, it was resting on the engine, And well to and from the trip luckily we had no problems, but the engine bay was layered with oil...
DIY or have someone you can trust do it... (friend, relative...)
Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Not all "quickie lubes" are horrible. Just like not all cops are crooked. You could also find a Honda/Acura or Japanese car specific shop in your area which would probably be cheaper than the dealer.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Not all "quickie lubes" are horrible. Just like not all cops are crooked. You could also find a Honda/Acura or Japanese car specific shop in your area which would probably be cheaper than the dealer.
True, not all quickie lube places are horrible... But ALL quickie lube places use crap oil filters.

Most use Fram or one of it's rebadges, such as Pennzoil.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
True, not all quickie lube places are horrible... But ALL quickie lube places use crap oil filters.

Most use Fram or one of it's rebadges, such as Pennzoil.
That we agree on!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 AM
Instructor

you guys seem to have a lot of faith in the acura dealers. what kind of filters are they using? for that matter, what kind of oil? what makes you think they care about our cars (all the DIY's claim the dealers treat their cars horribly, and won't even let the dealer wash their cars). whoever heard of not even replacing the air filter or having an automatic tire rotation during routine oil changes?

i see no reason to think that 'quickie lubes' are bad... i've never used jiffy and such, but i took my honda civic to independent shops, firestone centers, and gas stations for $15/oil change through it's 15 year life without a hitch.

i'm going to price some independent shops that seem to have good reps. we'll see what they're offering. all i know so far is that the dealer prices are ridiculous.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
you guys seem to have a lot of faith in the acura dealers.
Two main groups on here: people that do trust their dealer for an oil change, people that do it themselves. If you're getting charged $100 for an oil change, you're getting ripped off. Mine is $36.

If you have good experience with an independent shop, I don't see why you can't go back.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Drifting

you guys seem to have a lot of faith in the acura dealers. what kind of filters are they using? for that matter, what kind of oil? what makes you think they care about our cars (all the DIY's claim the dealers treat their cars horribly, and won't even let the dealer wash their cars). whoever heard of not even replacing the air filter or having an automatic tire rotation during routine oil changes?
You misunderstood what I said.... I simply said Honda would stand behind their work... I'm one of those people that only go to the dealer, when I must, as in for warranty work.... I never let the dealer wash my car... However, dealers only use factory parts and fluids, except for oil. So that means OEM filters, and probably Pennzoil brand oil, or whatever your dealer's preference is.

I said they stand behind their work, as in they document the work that they do, and if any issues arise because of it, they will take care of it... Unlike Jiffy Lube, where my brother had to sue them for them to fix the blown tranny due to their incompetence.

i see no reason to think that 'quickie lubes' are bad... i've never used jiffy and such, but i took my honda civic to independent shops, firestone centers, and gas stations for $15/oil change through it's 15 year life without a hitch.

i'm going to price some independent shops that seem to have good reps. we'll see what they're offering. all i know so far is that the dealer prices are ridiculous.
Like I said... Any shop can be "bad"... That's why my main reasoning for not going to quickie lube places, is that they ALL use generic filters, or house filters, which tend to be some dirivative of Fram. At least the dealer uses OEM filters. That's why I said find a honda dealer, which usually has $19.95 oil changes.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest buying your own oil (Fully Synthetic) filter and new drain washer. Take these to a local shop, they won't charge you much and most likely will provide you with great service. My independent service shop I deal with charged me $12 for the oil change with me supplying everything.

You can get a 5 quart container of full syn from target or walmart for like $20-22. If you want a suggestion on where to take your car just tell us where your from and i'm sure someone here will have some suggestions
Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Instructor

interesting... i called around today.

Acura Santa Monica wants $169.95 for B1 service.
Santa Monica Independent Acura wants $125.
S&S wants $70.

i will say that the dealer offers starbucks coffee, danishes, free transportation to work, and a free oil change every 3 services. i'm not sure that's worth $100, but S&S is a bit more out of the way and i'd have to get someone to pick me up. and even $70 seems pretty ridiculous for an oil and filter change, tire rotation, and an x point inspection.

the santa monica acura dealer is across the street from SM acura -- i guess i could see how much they'd charge for an oil change and if they work on acuras.

i'm intrigued about buying the oil and filter and asking someone to install, but i'm kind of skeptical that someone would go for that.

what to do...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Drifting

i'm intrigued about buying the oil and filter and asking someone to install, but i'm kind of skeptical that someone would go for that.

what to do...
My aunt does that. She takes Mobil-1 oil and filters to the Jiffy lube, and has them install it...

Just make sure you watch them, and/or ask for the empty oil containers and filter back... With my aunt, I caught them keeping her oil/filter, and installing the standard jiffy filters and dino oil.

Personally I would never go to a quickie lube, ever... Find a coworker, maybe you'll find a nice one... I once did a coworkers brakes in the parking lot of our work over lunch. I've change a few coworkers oil over lunch as well in the same parking lot.