Sponsored by:

Avoid Thomas Acura in Covina, Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Do what you can, but don't feel bad.

A LOT of people get screwed by dealerships. The smart ones learn and keep it from happening in the future.

For me, I can't negotiate at the dealership. I don't have access to the information I need and can't think fast enough/clearly enough to know whether what I am being shown is right or not.

So, I negotiate as much as possible via e-mail before hand; Selling Price, Discounts, Downpayment, APR, Loan Amount, Monthly Payment, etc. Now I can take my time and figure out if the numbers add up.

Then, when you go to the dealership to sign the papers, if something does not match up, walk out.
Can I hear an AMEN for brother bearcat?

*AMEN*
Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura3GTL
sorry to hear of your horrible experience with their sales staff. However, i must say their service dept is top notch!

I agree with you on that one, I had to get a valet key programed for my car 2 weeks ago. The service manager there Conrad was extremely helpful and sincere. He was just an awesome guy. Got my valet key done free of charge, they did it as fast as they could since they knew I was itching to get out of there. And even washed my car for me afterwards. I just think the hard times are getting to all car dealerships and I'm sure more than one GSM out there is trying to up the revenue for their dealership by using some dirty tactics. Oh well, I wrote a report to the Los Angeles Department of Consumer Affairs and we'll see what happens.

I'm not really sweating the money as much as the idea that I got completely swindled. I honestly thought that the sales guy was being sincere with me and thought to myself "Hey, not all car salesmen are bad.."

Oh the Irony
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

MistahSleepy, i'm curious, which sales rep did you speak with? what ethnicity was he and age?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Spoke with Byron first, he was African American, then spoke with Juan on the phone, he was Hispanic. I made the deal with Quyen, he was Asian, most likely Viet.

Finance Manager was Willy who was also African American. GSM was Kevin, who is Asian (Korean).

I don't see why any of this matters? Don't know the ages of anybody except Quyen, he was probably 24 or so.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Banned

i went in there the other day and dealt with each of them and i absolutely see what you're talking about. I considered purchasing a vehicle from Thomas Acura last week and walked away very frustrated and insulted. On that note, any recommendation on dealership for purchasing? I'm staying clear of Thomas Acura's sales team!
Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id run the car through the dealership and say the brakes went out trying to wipe out 5 or 6 cars at the same time.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura3GTL
i went in there the other day and dealt with each of them and i absolutely see what you're talking about. I considered purchasing a vehicle from Thomas Acura last week and walked away very frustrated and insulted. On that note, any recommendation on dealership for purchasing? I'm staying clear of Thomas Acura's sales team!
I bought mine from Sierra Acura (Alhambra). Pleasant experience. If it matters to you, ask for Edwin (the sales rep who helped me).
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by marmaladedad
I bought mine from Sierra Acura (Alhambra). Pleasant experience. If it matters to you, ask for Edwin (the sales rep who helped me).
same here bought my tls back in june from sierra acura alhambra. francisco was the guy who helped and was very nice. he even called me last month to say happy holidays.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tls08
same here bought my tls back in june from sierra acura alhambra. francisco was the guy who helped and was very nice. he even called me last month to say happy holidays.
Hey, my guy didn't call me to say Happy Holidays. I guess he got tired of me asking to sit in the '09 TL.

Are you in the area? I bought mine the day before Father's Day last year (a gift to myself).
Old 01-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Power Acura South Bay is my choice...i shopped both Sierra Acura and South Bay and South Bay was more accomodating on price, trade-in, etc...Sierra was actually trying to rip me off and I was really put off by them.

as for service dept, i use Oscar at Sierra Acura and he's a great guy to do business with.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by robxc80
Power Acura South Bay is my choice...i shopped both Sierra Acura and South Bay and South Bay was more accomodating on price, trade-in, etc...Sierra was actually trying to rip me off and I was really put off by them.

as for service dept, i use Oscar at Sierra Acura and he's a great guy to do business with.
+1 on Oscar. The guy really took care of me with the whole subframe-squeaking issue.

You're still selling those rims Rob?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Hey, my guy didn't call me to say Happy Holidays. I guess he got tired of me asking to sit in the '09 TL.

Are you in the area? I bought mine the day before Father's Day last year (a gift to myself).
im actually from san gabriel, and bought my car after father's day, i was only able to buy it cuz i was able to sell my subaru...so i guess its a gift to myself as well. lol
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor

PM'd ya.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MistahSleepy
This place is absolutely terrible. I bought a TL-S from them 2 weeks ago and ended up paying 2k over my negotiated price because they used some underhanded tactics to get me to not notice how much I was actually paying for the vehicle.

After walking away the first time this dealership bombarded my cell phone with calls from several different people all trying to convince me to pay more than I wanted. Eventually a sales guy called Quyen told me he could get that price for me if only I could come in to show that I was serious about purchasing the car.

Big mistake. They tell me this is how much I'm paying for it and Willy, the finance manager uses his big contract and monthly payments to confuse me on how much I'm actually paying for the car. I sign the contract due to excitement for my new ride only to realize later in the day that I had paid 2k more than the negotiated price.

I went back to the dealership and spoke to Kevin the GSM (General Sales Manager) about this issue. They basically just told me to Fuck off because I had signed the paper work and it was all legitimate. Suddenly Quyen has no idea saying he was just the "middle man" and how he had no control over what the price was. How he gave me a paper and I signed it and that's that. On top of that, my car wasn't even clean when I got it! The dashboard was covered with dust and when I got the car home I ran my hand across the hood only to find my fingers covered in a black film. This dealership is shady and completely dishonest. I will never go back there, I don't even want their shitty free oil change.

As of right now I'm writing a full report to the CA department of consumer affairs as well as uploading a review onto the BBB. I think it's completely unacceptable for car dealerships to close deals in this manner. Taking money out of the pockets of their costumers in a decieving way during these hard economic times when everyone is hurting.

/rant
I was trying to neogotiate with them on the car that you bought. I negotiated with them the whole day on the phone for the CBP ^M TL that you bought and I finally agreed to 33K OTD with Quyen. I live in Irvine so before I decided to drive down I again called them up to confirm the price ...two people said "yes 33K OTD" but then I said let me talk with your General Sales manager and that guy said .."33K + Tax" ...I said "F*** Off" and hung up. I neded up buying a Black TL-S from Keyes Acura for 31.3+ Tax...they were no angels either ...but certainly better than Thomas Acura.
In general ..car dealerships are sharks ..so you need to always proceed with extreme caution ! They are smart talking boneheads specially the finance managers.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Man that sucks, I hate dealers and their wicked ways. If it makes you feel any better I was able to pull a fast one on Thomas Acura when I bought a brand new 1998 Type R that they had on the showroom floor (apparently it was the last one in CA in 1998, #169). When I was talking to the dealer about the price of the car (sticker was about 25k) and out of curiousity I asked if he could give me a deal on the price he then went ahead and quoted me 22k for the car. WHAT?!! I was shocked that they would even consider any sort of deal on a car like that, but I pounced on the opportunity. So when I was signing the paperwork, the manager had a price of 25k plus tax, etc. and I told him that the dealer quoted me 22k for the car. He was not happy as you could imagine and called the dealer into the office. I'm sure he was fired the next day. All in all I was able to walk away with a brand new Type R for 3k less than the sticker. Hahaha!! Karma can be a bitch. Sorry for the long story but I had to share my experience with Thomas Acura.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Advanced

no...i sold them...i just haven';t updated my signature.