Sponsored by:

Avoid Montclair Acura!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoid Montclair Acura!!!

They're cheaters!!!! Avoid!!!
We negotiated with a sales man (Mr. Kevin Chang) through email and phone about price and 0.9% financing (credit application was approved). Drove hours to NJ only to find out they have changed their mind. The business manager found price was too low. So she and another sales wanted to charge us an OUTRAGOUS 7.xx% financing!!
They are extremely rude as well.
We're reporting to the BBB and they will pay for their fraudulent practice!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Banned

You should have keyed a bunch of their cars in the lot!

Wait that just happened to me, it sucks.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Old 08-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Uh oh, they're an official Acurazine sponsor you know, we'll see how long this post stays up.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
Did you talk to Kevin about this, or was he not there when you went in? Was he aware you were coming in to pick up the car?

Have you tried to contact him before posting this thread if he wasn't there when you went in?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:22 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
For the record, yes Montclair is a sponsor of AcuraZine, however that doesn't afford them censorship... as I'm sure they would not want it.

I do know though, that as many as 6 people per month buy cars from DCH through AcuraZine and this is the first complaint we have seen in as many months.

I myself have worked with DCH in purchasing a vehicle and found them very accomodating, despite the geographical distance from me.

That being said, I'd hope this is just a serious misunderstanding by one party or the next and I'm sure they will take appropriate measures to satisfy the issue if they are indeed at fault.

On another note, riskpremium, you've been a member since 2003 and this is your first post? Come on buddy, speak up, we won't bite! Welcome to the board
Old 08-01-2005, 09:25 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Astroboy
Did you talk to Kevin about this, or was he not there when you went in? Was he aware you were coming in to pick up the car?

Have you tried to contact him before posting this thread if he wasn't there when you went in?
The incidence was in May actually. I just have been too busy to write such a short report. I'll be shocked if Mr. Chang didn't know this.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

did you make the deal and decide to go and pick it up a month later because you were so busy? is it possible that you missed the financing window to achieve special rates?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:32 PM
5th Gear

did you make the deal and decide to go and pick it up a month later because you were so busy? is it possible that you missed the financing window to achieve special rates?
We immediately went to another dealer in their neighborhood on the same day (we were prepared for the worst scenario since that was the our first internet purchase, hopefully not the last one because of the incidence). The deal went through like a breeze.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

you did say that you feel Kevin would know about this incident, but did you ever actually speak with him the day of?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 PM
The Creator

Well, I'm sorry to hear you weren't pleased with your experience. Based on their track record, I would still suggest it is simply a case of an occasional mistake.

I believe Montclair was the #4 dealer nationwide in May, with over 180 cars sold that month. I can only imagine that, sometimes, mistakes are made when dealing in that volume.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

You did the right thing by walking away from the deal. Try not to be too upset about it, these things happen!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
5th Gear

you did say that you feel Kevin would know about this incident, but did you ever actually speak with him the day of?
It was not necessary to contact Mr. Chang again. The reason is that he let Mr. Lu handle all the paper work, who knew every details of the deal. Mr. Lu was the sales man on that day. So everything is clear.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally Posted by soopa
Well, I'm sorry to hear you weren't pleased with your experience. Based on their track record, I would still suggest it is simply a case of an occasional mistake.

I believe Montclair was the #4 dealer nationwide in May, with over 180 cars sold that month. I can only imagine that, sometimes, mistakes are made when dealing in that volume.
I am sorry you didn't get teh treatment you were looking for riskpremium. I hope you are enjoying your new TL a lot more than your experience trying to get it.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:44 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I had a totally different experience than you when I had purchased my TL from them 2 months ago. This is my review of their service.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

I got my new TL there a few weeks ago, and Kevin was the only shadey part of the experience. Everyone else was top notch. Both me and my associate felt Kevin was a "typical" car salesman.

"Where do you park your car?" "Oh, it sounds like you park it in a safe place... sometimes the bank wants to know".

Uhhh, dude... just tell us you were trying to sell us LoJack...

-jim
Old 08-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Advanced

I didn't like the treatment I've received as well. I live just the down the hill from them, but I ended up buying the vehicle from Open Road at Waynes at better price and the color combo that I wanted.

Try acura.com and request internet quote from all the dealerships around you. That worked great for me. I would never buy a vehicle in person.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Instructor

i also got bad service from Wier Canyon Acura. it's located in southern california. we started talking to him and he was completely unwilling to negotiate on the price. he had a list of prices and he just highlighted a number and tossed a stack of stapled papers at us and just sat back in his chair leaning. we just walked out at that point. there is NO reason why we should of had been treated like that when we were ready and willing to buy the car.

well, i guess he did me a favor because another dealership offered me a price of 31,600 for the navi version.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 AM
2nd Gear

Here is my

I am a little shocked at the experience you had with Montclair Acura. I just picked up my 05 TL and the sales experience was like nothing I have ever seen. I did not even have to haggle. The price given to me was within $100 of the price I was looking for.

Maybe I should have haggled and gotten more out of the deal , but I was completely satisfied with the entire process.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I am sure I am gonna get bashed for this one.....but there are a lot of Changs and Lu's being thrown around here on this one that people dont seem to like. Why dont you just try talking to somebody else....maybe Jones or Smith>? (j/k)

I havent been thrilled with my dealer here in Indianapolis either. Was satisfied with the sales process (they all suck dont they>?) but from there....nothing was true. Service treats you like they are doing you a favor, and parts the same. I buy all my stuff from Acura of Escondido off of the internet now.....been very happy since!

I think it has something (and I have heard this before from others) to do with the fact that most Acura dealers are not in tune with their customer base....for the most part, they are used to Pontiac drivers, ect. - the Acura buyer is quite different in nature to the Pontiac buyer though.....and they treat both the same. (and my Acura dealer doesnt even have a Pontiac lot - at that location anyway...I do believe they own one though)
Old 08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm getting my 05 AT serviced today (possible deflation with passenger side tires, and alignment... it pulled to the right at 60mph within 3 seconds.. well earlier than their "10 second" test), so lets see if the service dept is as good as the sales ppl.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased my last 2 acuras at Jodi Wilkenson Acura in Salt Lake City.

If anyone wants to purchase a new car in the Utah area, I highly recommend their sales ans service areas.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:14 AM
3rd Gear

long time lurker first time poster. I have to stick up for Montclair Acura here - both my wife and I found them to be the best of all the dealers we went to. They were top notch throughout the entire sales cycle. They were responsive to what we wanted to do and were not at all rude.

We bought a TL & MDX together a few weeks back from them. Were they the cheapest??? No, but I shared with them where my best deal was and they got my business. I'm looking foward to working with this group for years to come - it's a class A place over there.

BTW - love the TL!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I got my 03 TL-S from DCH Montclair and had a great experience. Paul Eng was my salesman, very cool guy. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm sure DCH Montclair will help you clear up this situation.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

I picked up my 05 6MT/NAVI from Kevin and the crew at Montclair in the middle of June. The price I was offered blew away all the prices I had to haggle to get elsewhere. No cheezy sales techniques at all. Straight to the point. I was very impressed with the staff and the quality of service. I drove over 500 miles round trip to buy my car from them, and will do it again with out a question.

- Chad Grybko
Old 08-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Cruisin'

Better Business Bureau report on DCH

I know this isn't about Monclair Acura,..but DCH is reportedly doing some bad stuff. Click on this link to see.......

Better Business Bureau on DCH
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Originally Posted by robertmiller
I know this isn't about Monclair Acura,..but DCH is reportedly doing some bad stuff. Click on this link to see.......

The practice of dealerships selling used parts as new parts has been going on for years! Yet another reason why I hate taking my car to the dealership....

Some years ago, I had to replace the drivers side window in my civic. Feeling confident that I could do this myself, I called the local salvage yard and they informed me that they had a window that would fit my car. In the middle of the purchase, a dealership rep calls in on the speakerphone and asks to salvage dealer if they have a part in stock. The salvage dealer finds that he has the part in stock and tells the dealer to come down to pick it up. The salvage dealer then turns and lets me know that I saved a nice amount of cash by going down and buying the window myself and that the dealership would have more than likely charged me for a new window plus labor when in fact the window was actually used. So I gave myself a pat on the back on that one!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Advanced

This is one of the reasons sites like this are GREAT! I've been surfing around this site for the last 2 months since I became interested in the TL. If enough people post bad experience treads like this with the amount of members that are here sooner or late it will get there attention.

I'm going to be purchasing a 05 TL next week and Acura of Montclair is one of the dealers on my list. I have contacted them via e-mail and so far they have given me the best price.

Now reading this tread I’m like WTF! But i have decided not to over react and I'll judge them on my own experience if I do business with them. There are more positive treads about them than negative treads.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them but there is a reason for everything. In the end you'll probably end up better off not buying from them.

Hopefully next week you'll see my name on that sign in tread and I'll have nice things to say about them if I buy from them.

Later
Old 08-25-2005, 10:16 AM
The Creator

For the record, as of Tuesday I have completed my first purchase experience with DCH Montclair Acura and can say first hand that out of the 4 Acura dealers I have purchased from thus far, DCH Montclair has been the best.

I worked with Anthony Iu and Jeff Scala... both of whom were incredibly accomodating.

I didn't finance through DCH, so I can't speak accurately towards that department, but I did have a chance to speak with some of them and found them to all be friendly and competent.

DCH Montclair's sales team is TOP NOTCH, IMHO. I've yet to have had such a painless experience purchasing a new vehicle.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 AM
The Creator

ALPHSTER ... Keep us posted on your purchase ...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced

For the record, as of Tuesday I have completed my first purchase experience with DCH Montclair Acura and can say first hand that out of the 4 Acura dealers I have purchased from thus far, DCH Montclair has been the best.

I worked with Anthony Iu and Jeff Scala... both of whom were incredibly accomodating.

I didn't finance through DCH, so I can't speak accurately towards that department, but I did have a chance to speak with some of them and found them to all be friendly and competent.

DCH Montclair's sales team is TOP NOTCH, IMHO. I've yet to have had such a painless experience purchasing a new vehicle.
Those are the same guys that have been in contact with me. Hopefully I'll agree with you early next week.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced

ALPHSTER ... Keep us posted on your purchase ...
For sure.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:22 AM
The Creator

Originally Posted by robertmiller

Not to belittle this information, but should be noted that you can find the same information on Park Ave or any other NJ auto dealer conglomerate
Old 08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

robertmiller, what was the point in posting that link?

it has absolutely nothing to do with Montclair Acura

it seems the majority of posters in this thread have all had positive buying experiences thru Montclair, so i'm not sure why you would choose to interject at this time.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Advanced

robertmiller, what was the point in posting that link?

it has absolutely nothing to do with Montclair Acura

it seems the majority of posters in this thread have all had positive buying experiences thru Montclair, so i'm not sure why you would choose to interject at this time.
Sure it does!!! They are part of DCH!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

DCH = Dont Care How much you complain....

:whocares: My original post was FYI only,..I personally have never been to Monclair Acura (got my TL at Open Road Acura of Wayne). However I did have a similar experience at Paramus Honda a few years ago (also DCH). They're a bunch of sleezy hoodlems and their business practices are very questionable. The Accord I had put a $1000 deposit on originally had 12 miles when I test drove it. When I went to pickup the next day it had 45 miles!! WTF !! Turns out the dealer allows the salesman to take any car out for test drives with other prospective customers. I couldn't believe they would allow this to happen. The car ended up with a scratch on the drivers door, and also on the center console. Point being,..many dealers probably partake in less-than-honorable decisions at times,..but DCH makes in CLEAR that they couldn't give a SH*T what you think,..It's as if they're saying, "Don't like how we do business,..TOO BAD,..shop somewhere else"
Old 08-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i have to agree... 3 yrs ago i was shopping around for a daily driver TL... so i went around to price some certified ACuras... and montclair gave me the worse service... the salesman would not budge at all... i had a quote from acura of wayne for a similar TL with lower mileage at a lower price and asked him to see what he could do because i liked this color better.. he basically said that if u can get that car at that price then why are u sitting here??? so i walked...
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by JimF_NJ
I got my new TL there a few weeks ago, and Kevin was the only shadey part of the experience. Everyone else was top notch. Both me and my associate felt Kevin was a "typical" car salesman.

"Where do you park your car?" "Oh, it sounds like you park it in a safe place... sometimes the bank wants to know".

Uhhh, dude... just tell us you were trying to sell us LoJack...

-jim

not to sound like I'm disagreeing with you, but I do work at a bank that finances cars and the Bank does actually want to know...just because we might want to repo it in case you are delinquent..
Old 08-28-2005, 12:55 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ask them to pay u gas.