Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic doors/windows -- etiquette for the new millenium

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic doors/windows -- etiquette for the new millenium

This whole thread is kinda funny to me -- I just retired my '94 Civic and it had all manual doors and windows -- ya, know, like crank to roll the window up and down. Now, let me tell you, it was a challenge to roll the passenger side window when driving on the freeway, but I managed. Now all you young whippersnappers are complaining of the time burden (2-3 secs?) it takes to open or close a window! (Did I mention how long it took to walk to school in 5 feet of snow when I was a kid?)

I'm not quite used to the auto feature yet -- I've often tried to just open the window a bit, and it goes all the way down. It's kind of annoying to me.

This reminds me of another issue related to doors -- I'll start a new post for it...
I was replying to the other thread on auto windows and though I would start a new one about doors that's been on my mind. Now, mind you I'm "only" 35, but for most of my life I've used manual doors and windows. No automatic, no remote control, no nothing. So, here's the thing... I find myself now wondering about door etiquette in the new millenium.

When I'm out on a date, or even just with friends, I typically have gone to the passenger side and opened the door for the passenger to get in. And I have for years used that test with a date, to see whether they in turn unlock my side of the door so that I can get in without the key (if they do, cool, if not, bad). Well, I recently was going out with someone quite a bit younger, and she never unlocked my door for me. I was a bit put off at first, but then I realized that this person probably never had been in a car without automatic doors and so never even thought about it!! So, that test doesn't seem to work anymore!

And what am I supposed to do now? Do people still open the door for a date, or is that totally passe? And women here on the forum to comment? Honestly, it still seems like the courteous thing to do, but pretty useless.

One definite improvement -- I no longer have to worry about the passenger forgetting to lock their door when they get out of the car!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:31 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Guys should always open doors for their dates, pull seats out, etc. That will never get old and can only win you points.

It doesnt really go the other way for women...
Old 09-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
get out of the car and open the door for her.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
well, I could count the times (with my fingers) when I actually opened the door for a female companion . What I can't count is the times when I only pressed the button once and only let myself in and had her outside knocking on the window... Yet I always managed to close the deal....

You guys are such gentlemen...
Old 09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Bronx Tale anyone?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneyc77
well, I could count the times (with my fingers) when I actually opened the door for a female companion . What I can't count is the times when I only pressed the button once and only let myself in and had her outside knocking on the window... Yet I always managed to close the deal....

You guys are such gentlemen...

as long as you dont drive off without her, it is recoverable.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CUNextTuesday
Bronx Tale anyone?

hehe...I did this on the first date of my current gf and we'er still together for almost 6 yrs now...dam thing works! lol....dang that movie!