Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto vs manual

I have a auto Base model, and when i push the pedal down all the way it lags before it starts to go. My brother thought it was because of the "drive by wire" system. I was driving his car 1991 3.0L V6 Mr2 and the power came on instantly. Then i thought because the TL has a lot less torque than most cars. So is the Manuel take less time for the power to "come on".

I met another board member, i forgot his board name; he had an 2006 NBP base w/ navi in Rockville/ Gaithersburg. He told me to use royal purple oil synthetic vs regular oil. I will probably try this in about 2000 miles as i just got my oil changed a little while ago.

-Alex
Old 08-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Engineer and Machinist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M/T doesn't have a faster engine... when I launch I'm launching at 2k+. The engine doesn't make much of anything at 800 rpms
Old 08-01-2009, 04:09 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AM TL
I have a auto Base model, and when i push the pedal down all the way it lags before it starts to go. My brother thought it was because of the "drive by wire" system. I was driving his car 1991 3.0L V6 Mr2 and the power came on instantly. Then i thought because the TL has a lot less torque than most cars. So is the Manuel take less time for the power to "come on".

I met another board member, i forgot his board name; he had an 2006 NBP base w/ navi in Rockville/ Gaithersburg. He told me to use royal purple oil synthetic vs regular oil. I will probably try this in about 2000 miles as i just got my oil changed a little while ago.

-Alex
I'm guessing what you're experiencing is just the lag associated with any Automatic transmission, you have to wait for the transmission to downshift before you feel any pull.

Automatics always take a while to find the right gear, which is why I utilize SS mode so that the lag is eliminated.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Hope your not implying that your switching to royal purple oil because its gonna get rid of lag lol. Dont spend more on motor oil than you need to and going out of your way to track down royal purple. The engine will last just as long using regular oil from autozone or whatever.
I personally use Mobile one Synth in my 07 Type S.

As far as lag is concerned any automatic takes time to downshift before it gets goin. If this isnt what your referring to then im not sure. I have owned two TL's. A 07 base and now an 07 Type S. I notice no lag because of the "drive by wire" system. Once it downshifts it goes.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:47 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

-Alex
Your brother is a smart man. This is exactly why there's a little "lag". All TL's do this, be it manual/auto.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a aem v2 intake for the 03-06 accord..That should solve ur problem

www.heeltoeauto.com
Old 08-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JwongTLS

www.heeltoeauto.com
are you sure about this? I don't think this has any bearing on drive by wire
Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

-Alex
Originally Posted by piggydog
are you sure about this? I don't think this has any bearing on drive by wire
My point was maybe what he was experiencing is the restricted oem intake. With a intake his motor should breathe easier ..therefore a more responsive throttle..
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
My point was maybe what he was experiencing is the restricted oem intake. With a intake his motor should breathe easier ..therefore a more responsive throttle..
The OEM intake is plenty sufficient for that little V6 to breathe.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
The OEM intake is plenty sufficient for that little V6 to breathe.
Agree on the intake, the DBW lag is a known issue with the TL.

Its not an issues on launch with a 6MT because you have already put up more RPM's before you engage the clutch then you can with a 5AT even if you torque brake it.

The RP oil will do nothing for this issue other then empty your wallet faster then either a regular synthetic or dino oil.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Is it from a dig or from a roll? If it's from a dig, then it's probably the DBW, although my 92 Cavalier did the same thing from a dig, and Lord knows that thing has never heard of DBW. If it's from a roll, it's just the car downshifting.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Your brother is a smart man. This is exactly why there's a little "lag". All TL's do this, be it manual/auto.
My '04 manual doesn't. And neither does my '05 automatic. Now if I was in first gear with my manual at, say, idle speed and the clutch fully engaged and nailed it, I wouldn't expect the engine to pull like crazy at that low of an RPM. After all, it's not a large engine. But once over around 1500 RPM, it pulls quite handsomely.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Intermediate

My manual does not have this lag... i think your just talking about low RPMS where the Vtec engine does not make much power?!? my guess...
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How could someone not know how to spell "manual"...
Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Babnik
How could someone not know how to spell "manual"...
Same reason so many use the possessive form of "you" for the contraction "you are". See it frequently.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
At 1,500rpm the TL makes maybe 60hp and very little torque. That's just the way it is.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I hate cars
At 1,500rpm the TL makes maybe 60hp and very little torque. That's just the way it is.
A stock '04 TL engine produces around 60 HP at 1500 RPM, and around 203-205 lb/ft of torque at the same engine speed. At 1000 RPM, it's producing about 190 lb/ft of torque. (source: power graph in the 2004 brochure).
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.heeltoeauto.com
In almost any topic i see u post this exact thing will u plz stop spamming this.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
A stock '04 TL engine produces around 60 HP at 1500 RPM, and around 203-205 lb/ft of torque at the same engine speed. At 1000 RPM, it's producing about 190 lb/ft of torque. (source: power graph in the 2004 brochure).
I pulled those numbers off the top of my head to illustrate that there's little power available down there. Though 190lbs at 1,000rpm sounds like big block territory. I would question those numbers.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

I pulled those numbers off the top of my head to illustrate that there's little power available down there. Though 190lbs at 1,000rpm sounds like big block territory. I would question those numbers.
I know, I would have as well. That's why I gave my source so that no one would think I was making it up.

But the one thing that is missing here is the fact that at very low RPM's the engine is just not going to spool up very fast. It will make good torque numbers which will allow the eingine to climb a steep driveway. But horsepower is a factor of work performed over time and at really low RPMs not much HP is produced.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

I know, I would have as well. That's why I gave my source so that no one would think I was making it up.

But the one thing that is missing here is the fact that at very low RPM's the engine is just not going to spool up very fast. It will make good torque numbers which will allow the eingine to climb a steep driveway. But horsepower is a factor of work performed over time and at really low RPMs not much HP is produced.

Interesting. Next time I go to the dyno I'll have to try a pull from a low rpm. I guess the stall speed is as low as I would be able to go.

These things could really benefit from more stall but I guess the tradeoff in heat and mpg wouldn't be worth it to 99% of auto owners.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Interesting. Next time I go to the dyno I'll have to try a pull from a low rpm. I guess the stall speed is as low as I would be able to go.

These things could really benefit from more stall but I guess the tradeoff in heat and mpg wouldn't be worth it to 99% of auto owners.
And of course there is this. The graph appears in an Acura '04 TL sales brochure. So there is the possibility of a little fudging though I would guess if such is the case, it would be very little. The engine does a remarkable job when one considers its rather small displacement for a 3500 pound Luxury Performance Sedan.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The engine does a remarkable job when one considers its rather small displacement for a 3500 pound Luxury Performance Sedan.
I believe that's why these guys get such little horsepower increases out of their dollars spent. This engine is about as far as it will go for street use right from the factory. Guys here are already breaking their motor mounts & tearing out rear sway bar mounts with the little bit extra they can get out of it.

It would take some very serious mods to get more out of it & most likely they would produce more power at higher RPM's & not be very useful on the street.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I believe that's why these guys get such little horsepower increases out of their dollars spent. This engine is about as far as it will go for street use right from the factory. Guys here are already breaking their motor mounts & tearing out rear sway bar mounts with the little bit extra they can get out of it.

It would take some very serious mods to get more out of it & most likely they would produce more power at higher RPM's & not be very useful on the street.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with this. To really get a decent increase in power, you either have to go with some serious internal work, along with an increase in displacement, or a blower, or both. This means a fair amount of money and perhaps losing some steetability.

Our engines really do a great job of delivering decent performance for the TL. They really do. Quite frankly, I'm very pleased with mine and have no regrets at all. It still puts a smile on my face. As a matter of fact, within the past two hours, I took my '04 manual out for a 16 mile "TL moment" on some of the fine two-lane and four-lane roads in my area. Just enjoying feeling it move down the road made me happy.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Incidently, I saw a brand new Pontiac G8 GXP yesterday in a strip shopping center in my area around 3:00pm. It was purchased on July 17th and was bright red. While I'm not a fan of red cars, this was quite beautiful. The one serious down side was the fact that it was an automatic!. But it was a GXP. The front Brembo rotors were huge. This is the second one I've seen in my little area in 6 days.

It really is a shame that Pontiac is going the way of the dinosaur. The G8 is the best thing they've had in decades and they are going away.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I think you've hit the nail on the head with this. To really get a decent increase in power, you either have to go with some serious internal work, along with an increase in displacement, or a blower, or both. This means a fair amount of money and perhaps losing some steetability.

Our engines really do a great job of delivering decent performance for the TL. They really do. Quite frankly, I'm very pleased with mine and have no regrets at all. It still puts a smile on my face. As a matter of fact, within the past two hours, I took my '04 manual out for a 16 mile "TL moment" on some of the fine two-lane and four-lane roads in my area. Just enjoying feeling it move down the road made me happy.
I just had one of those TL Moments this weekend driving up Friday afternoon to Big Bear from San Diego. Highway 330 is a lot of fun when there is not much traffic! I'm still up in Big Bear and look forward to another TL moment on the way straight to work Monday morning. It's a rare occassion when I'm driving solo on a road trip so I can push things much harder than with my wife and kids in the car. The TL handles those curves very well!

I have an automatic and the sequential shift is excellent on mountain roads. I don't use SS much in the city because the automatic is pretty good as it is. I've had many manual cars in my past and this automatic is no slouch at all with shifts. I had a Maxima SE (auto) that was a big slouch (picking the wrong gear and bogging down) and I regretted not getting the 5 speed manual but not the TL.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Agreed...I also couldn't imagine pumping more power through the front wheels and getting even more torque steer...it's almost intolerable now,
Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2005_AM_TL
And the purpose of this picture is....?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
getting back onto topic, the AT transmission does have lag and the MT can have lag too, there are two reasons for this lag:

1. Drive by wire, it takes a few ms for it to interpret the command and send it out, any electronic will do this. This is most evident when you are at a redlight and when you stomp on it when it turns green, there's a little delay.
HOWEVER, the MT folks won't feel/know this. When they stomp on the gas, the clutch is engaging still, so in the time it engages, the lag is already done with.

2. Downshifting, if you are cruising at 60 MPH and then you want to pass, you stomp on it. The car needs to downshift to 3rd gear in order to get you into the power band. It takes about a second to do this.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
In almost any topic i see u post this exact thing will u plz stop spamming this.
lmao ur an idiot
Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Instructor

And the purpose of this picture is....?
i donno u tell me, he wanted to know everyone's opinion on auto vs manuel noriega.. theres nothing else to explain... i'd say is kinda racist but u 'd prbably agree with him

Last edited by 2005_AM_TL; 08-03-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

i donno u tell me, he wanted to know everyone's opinion on auto vs manuel noriega.. theres nothing else to explain... i'd say is kinda racist but u 'd prbably agree with him
????

Tell me you're not insinuating I favor, or support, Noriega. And cocaine.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Takes a (short) while for the fluid to open up the kickdown valve, and for the computer to register it all for anything to even happen. As smart and as fast as it is, it doesn't want to fudge anything up by dropping it into 1st gear at 60 mph if you drop the hammer.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 AM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Auto < Manual

/thread
Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad someone understood what i was saying; Automatics trans Vs Manuel Noriega.

On another note; is synthetic better than regular oil for the TL?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i have never driven a honda/acura that "took off" when the pedal was slammed to the floor from a dead stop, there just isnt enough power to get it moving and the car just wont allow it to happen. it is always best to get it rolling a bit before you slam on the gas...
Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM
.a BUM with SMG...

not much of different though, i mean if you in the drag, you should pick the auto, but when racing in the track and cornering, should pick the manual for faster response on the gears
Old 08-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
a few members as well as myself put the sprit booster and that help with the lag my car had with the gas pedel. i push the gas and it takes off.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Intermediate

the only way you will not have a delay is to rev a 6mt to about 3500 and drop it.