Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto crossed the TL this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
RIP Dime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto crossed the TL this weekend...

Well, I guess it's considered racing...After only driving the TL fast in a straightline for as long as I've had it, i wanted to see what the car would handle like in auto-cross.

SCCA hosted a SOLO school and open track weekend at the Chicagoland Speedway this past weekend. It was a great bang for the buck driving weekend with two days of training and seat time. The ratio was 1 teacher to every two drivers, and the teachers each drove a comparable car. That being said, my teacher drove a '97 maxi. i was amazed at the speed he could post in a stock maxi...but that's another thread.

For those of you who have auto-crossed before, you'll agree with me that the TL is not the best vehicle to race in. However, I would say that for a large vehicle the car did handle pretty well. If the upgraded RSB didn't put me into a different class I would've come out 53/148 (this includes a weighted index calculation, not just straight time). Alas, because of the sway bar I ended up 102 out of 148. All in all it was a great time and I would encourage everybody who enjoys a bit of speed to try and take their cars to a SOLO event. My fasted official time was 54:437. I know the time doesn't mean much as each race and course is different, but it did beat a G35 sedan, 540i, Caddilac CTS-V, and a TSX which I'm very happy with.
Overall, i would recommend anybody who enjoys speed and handling to give it a shot. It's truly a test of your driving skills, not just how fast the car pulls in a straight line.

Has anybody else tried auto crossing their cars?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Welcome to the racing bug

The abilty to handle the car with precision at lower speeds translates directly to high speed safety and fun

You probably learned a lot of things you didn't know the car could do and have new-found skills for yourself!

Next try a trackday on the roadrace course, often found via SCCA for $250
You in your car, with a pro race driver often riding shotgun, giving instant feedback and corrections, You Get REAL- FAST
Old 04-02-2007, 03:29 PM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Welcome to the racing bug

The abilty to handle the car with precision at lower speeds translates directly to high speed safety and fun

You probably learned a lot of things you didn't know the car could do and have new-found skills for yourself!

Next try a trackday on the roadrace course, often found via SCCA for $250
You in your car, with a pro race driver often riding shotgun, giving instant feedback and corrections, You Get REAL- FAST
Thanks! Man it was awesome. I can't wait to do it again.

With the roadraces, don't you have to have a roll-cage? I'd love to try that as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would love to try auto-crossing but i dont know any places in So. Cal.
Does anyone know where i could go?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Ryee] If the upgraded RSB didn't put me into a different class I would've come out 53/148 (this includes a weighted index calculation, not just straight time). Alas, because of the sway bar I ended up 102 out of 148.

I know the time doesn't mean much as each race and course is different, but it did beat a G35 sedan, 540i, Caddilac CTS-V, and a TSX which I'm very happy with.
QUOTE] What kind of class are you speaking of? Like the class of cars or something? I'm really curious..

Damn, if you beat a G35 Sedan, 540i, Caddilac CTS.. let alone a -V and Tsx, I can't wait until I bring my beast out... it'll be amazing. lol But tell me, doesn't autocrossing put a toll on your brakes and tranny fluid?.. or if you have a manual, is it even affected or not? I figured the autos would have a hell of a time, but the manuals would be alright
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Instructor

how much did it cost for the SOLO event?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 AM
RIP Dime...

[QUOTE=joe80055]
Originally Posted by Ryee
If the upgraded RSB didn't put me into a different class I would've come out 53/148 (this includes a weighted index calculation, not just straight time). Alas, because of the sway bar I ended up 102 out of 148.

I know the time doesn't mean much as each race and course is different, but it did beat a G35 sedan, 540i, Caddilac CTS-V, and a TSX which I'm very happy with.
QUOTE] What kind of class are you speaking of? Like the class of cars or something? I'm really curious..

Damn, if you beat a G35 Sedan, 540i, Caddilac CTS.. let alone a -V and Tsx, I can't wait until I bring my beast out... it'll be amazing. lol But tell me, doesn't autocrossing put a toll on your brakes and tranny fluid?.. or if you have a manual, is it even affected or not? I figured the autos would have a hell of a time, but the manuals would be alright
Yeah, while i beat some pretty nice cars most who auto-cross would say that I beat the driver not the car.

As far as damage to the car is concerned, I think it depends on how often you race. I'm a 5AT and i just threw the car into SS and left it in there the whole time. It was easy, I didn't have to worry about shifting. Just mash the gas and control the break.

The breaks were fine too. It was a fairly cool day temperature wise and the breaks never got hot. The races themselves are short enough that you don't burn through breaks and tires. However, if you want to compete it obviously helps to have better breaks and stickier tires.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by mikey4226
how much did it cost for the SOLO event?
For the two day class it was $120. I honestly felt like I was stealing. I would've paid the $120 for just Saturday.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Auto-Crossing is very fun. I went to a few races at lake geneva speedway. Most of the cars were subarus and evos. But some people tried their bigger cars too. They would spin the tires a lot around turns though, usually with the e-brake since they are FWD. I got to ride in a couple subarus, and it was the most fun i had at a race so far.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Great to see a thread like this. Glad you had fun. Practicing/driving like this for fun is a great way for you to learn your car in a controlled enviroment in case you need to make a quick decision out on the road, should some unfortunate situation arise. It saved my ass (literally) one night as the car behind me was rear ended instead of me.
I much prefer handling rather than straight line racing.
Once I get coilovers on and beefier front and rear anti-sways (and some other stiffening goodies), I'll be hitting the AutoX course @ Ripken Stadium.. I've been looking for actual track events (Summitt Point) where I can actually track my car. (Instead of an auto x event in a parking lot with cones.

Did you grab any pictures from the event?